A Walk to Remember A Walk to Remember discussion

Is it just me or does someone always die in Nicholas' books?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 249) (249 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Shannon I loved this book although it was a bit boring in some parts. The movie is more interesting though. I cried about three times when I read this book.

Gabrielle Me too. I agree someone always dies in his books! Or comes close to it.

Robin Yes, there is always a sense of melodrama in his books.

Coco♥Chanel~Uncens★red~ Right, it's gotten to where I expect it to happen, but it's still interesting when you get to that point in the story.

Robin He is a good author though. I guess he doesn't write any books where everyone lives happily ever after.

Alese someone always dies in his books..

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Robin wrote: "He is a good author though. I guess he doesn't write any books where everyone lives happily ever after."

My husband just accused me of that, :) Says that I should write something more uplifting. lol
Life is drama.
Love his books love his writing.

Robin I agree with Sonia's post. Such is life...and death.

message 9: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee I agree that someone always dies or come close but like Lynn said all of his books deal with a tradgedy within his family and his one book " Three weeks with my brother" explains some of the books and how they relate to his life.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Someone usually dies or has a close call with death. AND the two main characters always cook dinner together at some point. :)

Gabrielle Yes, they always cook dinner together!

Jemimah Deffs agree. :]
I think this is because he's emphasizing that life doesn't always have a happy ending. But even though that were the case, Nicholas Sparks's books are always amazing. :))

Robin I agree with Jemimah Abigail.

Shannon I agree with Robin and Jemimah Abigail. Nicholas Sparks' books are always really good and so far I have loved the ones that I have read.

Jemimah You guys could call me 'Jem' since 'Jemimah Abigail' is waaaay too long. x)

My favorites would be A Walk to Remember, The Last Song and Dear John. :)

I've read The Last Song twice and on the second time, I cried just as hard as the first. XD

message 16: by Zoha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoha I love every single book I ever read of his!!!

Robin I liked a Walk to Remember and Dear John. Couldn't get into The Last Song, guess I had a foreboding on how it was going to end.

River Autumn Behr I absolutely loved Nicholas Sparks when he came out with The Notebook. Now, I only read his books when I need a good cry. They are emotional, heart wrenching, well written but so fatalistic! Yes someone dies in almost every story! I don't understand the need to drive home the pain of death. We've all been touched by it. True Believer and At First Sight ended my Nicholas Sparks love fest. When I realized the trap I was in while reading AFS, I set the book down and didn't pick it up for weeks to finish it. I never do that. When I read, I read until I am done. Especially when it touches me. Life is hard, it's emotional and it is heart breaking. But there is also love and joy to be found. When I started finishing his stories feeling desolate and depressed over the outcome, I knew I had to let this one go. The nostalgia found in his books makes you hurt, the deaths make you cry and the endings, no matter the message he's trying to convey, leave you unhappy. Sometimes life does give us a fairytale. Sometimes it does give us a happy ending. Just once I would love his books to end on those notes than rather than the desolation of lost love.

Jemimah What I love about his books is that everyone could relate to the characters. :)

Shannon My favourite books by Nicholas Sparks are A Walk to Remember and The Last Song. I watched both movies and I cried in both heaps. Both stories are really touching.

Shannon Every time I am reading one of his books I always have to have a box of tissues beside me :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too. I cry at the drop of a hat though. :) I cry when i write too. I am told that if I cannot make myself cry or laugh, then cannot make anyone else do it. I cry about everything. Love Sparks. So good.

Robin I know I get all emotional also. Sonia I liked what you posted about if you can't make yourself cry or laugh, then you can't make anyone else do it, either. That is so true.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish I made that up but I did not. I was quoting someone else brilliant who said that. I am not that brilliant but I believe that for sure. Thanks Robin.

Jemimah I believe that's the proof of how good your writing is. When it has also made you cry. :)

Robin I have read some books that leave me weeping also. I agree with Jem or Jemimah, that that is the mettle of a fine writer, one who can leave the reader, either laughing, crying or thinking long and hard of what the author is trying to convey. All worthy characteristics of a good writer.

Jemimah I've always believed that if you felt what you want your readers to feel, then it's a great job. :)

Robin well said, I also like what the other poster said about they always cook dinner together. Like Message in a Bottle, I related to what Gabrielle posted. The characters need to eat, or we need to get off the death subject!

Farzan You know , I really like his vision of life which is not led to happily ever after and sometimes it will be happily never after. this is part of our life , you found someone who consider she/he is your soul mate bur something happens, you lose him/her.

Shrijan Shrestha I just love to read the way he writes.......its something that touches our heart ......

Robin That is so true, he gets to the basic undercurrents of what makes people tick. He is a good writer.

Mercedes Because he knows that it will touch our hearts and make us love him more. Or is that just me?
I have honestly cried reading every single book, except for The Last Song. Maybe because that time around, I saw the movie before reading the book, and couldn't get Miley Cyrus out of my head :/

message 33: by Zoha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoha Scary. But he put people that are just like us and nothing supernatural or someone too rich that they can save the person but people that work to the money, one of the many reasons I love him.

Robin Yes, there is nothing fake or phony about his characters. I tried reading the Last Song, but I couldn't finish it, and when I heard Miley Cyrus was to play the girl, fuggetaboutit.

Teagan Cutajar YES I TOTALLY AGREE WITH fashiondesigner01 !!!!!!!!!!! someone always dies andit was terribly boring in some parts i think that that is what it is like with all of Nicholas Soarks books they are boring but then incredibly intriguing :)

Shannon Some parts of Nicholas' books are always boring but there are always parts that are always touching. What I find is that the beginnings of Nicholas' books are usually a boring but when you read the ending it is the complete opposite (usually) :)

Shannon Does that make sense?

Robin Sure, I get it. It is called character build up, or character plot introduction, that is usually the case in most books.

Juliet I love this book, but for some reason, and don't judge me when you read this, I liked the movie more. Maybe it was because the characters seemed more real to me. For example, Jamie wasn't a complete saint. she cussed and got mad at Landon for dissing her in front of her friends, but you could tell she was still a wonderful person. Both the book and the movie were amazing though, both made me cry!

Shannon I agree!!! I loved the book but I thought the movie was better. I have to admit, I cried more while I was watching the movie than when I was reading the book. I guess it was because I could actually see the story coming together and I saw the charactors but when I was reading the book I could only imagine what was happening.

Juliet Fashiondesigner01 wrote: "I agree!!! I loved the book but I thought the movie was better. I have to admit, I cried more while I was watching the movie than when I was reading the book. I guess it was because I could actuall..."

EXACTLY!!

Carita Authors write what they know right? His life has been pretty dramatic and some of his family has died. Death is no stranger to him, so he writes about it. I like his books, not everything can have a fairy tale ending, thats why I like his books.

Coco♥Chanel~Uncens★red~ Carita wrote: "Authors write what they know right? His life has been pretty dramatic and some of his family has died. Death is no stranger to him, so he writes about it. I like his books, not everything can have ..."

I definitely agree with that.

Anshu Yeah, i totally agree. I read about 4 books- "A walk to remember", "the last song", "notebook" etc. in each one of those books, one person was always sick (cancer, leukaemia, blah blah blah). I got bored reading about all those diseased people and eventually stopped reading his books.

Kaylee~ this book ws good!!!!!!!!!!

Coco♥Chanel~Uncens★red~ ALeXi$ wrote: "Yeah, i totally agree. I read about 4 books- "A walk to remember", "the last song", "notebook" etc. in each one of those books, one person was always sick (cancer, leukaemia, blah blah blah). I got..."

LOL. I understand what you're saying too. It can be a little depressing to read about sickness and death all the time.

Shannon Yes, it can be a bit depressing but that is life. Everyday somewhere someone is either going to be perfectly healthy, sick or dying.

Robin yes.

« previous 1 3 4 5

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

A Walk to Remember (other topics)
The Choice (other topics)