Star Wars #1 Fans discussion

Where is the best place to start?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 9 comments I've been wanting to get into the Star Wars reading universe for some years now. I have no decided to take somewhat of a plunge.

The only problem is, I have no idea where to start.

I got this list from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/sylt...

And am planning on following it. But first, I want to read all the books and short stories in the Old Republic era.

Is this a good idea?

Any better suggestions?

Thank you!

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 199 comments I'd read all of the Jedi Apprentice books. They're about Obi-Wan when he was a padawan.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Van Ness | 118 comments Mod
Do you mean adult or kids? If you want the adult books, my brother and I started with Jedi Academy. They were instantly gripping. We went from there to the Thrawn trilogy, and from then on I was hooked to the point of obsessive. If you want the kids, Jedi Apprentice is the way to go.

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika | 1 comments I've always thought that the Thrawn Trilogy would be a good place to start. They are the first ones ever written after the movies and jump started all the books. Or maybe the Truce at Bakura since it starts hours after Return of the Jedi.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 9 comments Thanks, guys!

And yes, I meant the adult books. :)

message 6: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 31 comments About 5 years ago I read all of the Star Wars books available in order of internal chronology. IIRC, I started with the Han Solo Trilogy and kept reading till there were no books left. It took about 6 months. Since, I've read new books as they have come out.

See http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeli...

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 9 comments Thanks, Kernos!

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 5 comments I enjoy reading in chronological order the best I can. Especially if you enjoy the Star Wars Universe as a whole. But I know many who only enjoy reading about known characters. Reading the Old Republic/Sith Era books are great but several people like to stick closer to the movies for known characters, planets, etc.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 9 comments I really enjoy the whole Star Wars universe. I think it's fascinating. I love that there's thousands of years of history. I think it's that which compels me to read these books the most.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

In a couple months, though, after finishing Legacy and Fate of the Jedi, I think that I am going to start with the Han Novels and make my way down the line with all of the books starring the main characters- luke, leia, mara jade, etc. I think that would be a good experience.

message 11: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 31 comments It's a fascinating world to visit and re-visit. I'm behind about 4 books which I am really looking forward to.

message 12: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 199 comments Kernos wrote: "It's a fascinating world to visit and re-visit. I'm behind about 4 books which I am really looking forward to."

I love it whenever I get behind with the books because by the time I read them they are all published so I don't have to be frantically waiting until the next one comes out.

message 13: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 31 comments I hate waiting too Rachel. I often wait for book series to be dome before starting and then reading all back to back.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 9 comments That's one reason I'm happy to be where I am, having just started reading Star Wars books. I have a literal ocean of them to read through. In other words, no waiting. :)

message 15: by Stephen (new)

The best feeling is when you own them all. Then, not only have you still a huge selection, but they are all at your fingertips. I am personally only missing 8!!!

message 16: by Alicia (last edited May 15, 2011 08:20PM) (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) Not to hijack, but I don't want to start another thread about this same general idea.

Where would everyone suggest starting if someone wanted to prepare for the MMO? At this point I've only watched the movies.

EDIT: I found this timeline. It seems like there's only a few for the Old Republic to choose from.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeli...

message 17: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Hamlet (potterman201) | 153 comments Alicia 慧娴 wrote: "Not to hijack, but I don't want to start another thread about this same general idea.

Where would everyone suggest starting if someone wanted to prepare for the MMO? At this point I've only watche..."

Well if you've played "Knights of the Old Republic" and "The Sith Lords" then I would recommend reading "Fatal Alliance." and watching the time line videos on youtube.

message 18: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 199 comments Alicia 慧娴 wrote: "Not to hijack, but I don't want to start another thread about this same general idea.

Where would everyone suggest starting if someone wanted to prepare for the MMO? At this point I've only watche..."

Go to the official website, it's just called The Old Republic, there are bunches of news updates and things to look at about planets, starships, and characters that are going to be in the game.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshnPhx) So excited BN just got a bunch of SW books in ebook format. Jumped right in and bought the pack with PhantM, CloneW, and RevSith. Love that the free SW books they offer are actually from the list I have the beginning. I always love to start at the beginning. Ditto on loving thousands of years of history and characters within this series.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Martinez Kirby | 1 comments I love the movies, but I am just starting the books. I am reading Attack of the Clones now, but I am not sure what I should read in between that and Revenge of the Sith. Any suggestions?

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 31 comments Amanda wrote: "I love the movies, but I am just starting the books. I am reading Attack of the Clones now, but I am not sure what I should read in between that and Revenge of the Sith. Any suggestions?"

Labyrinth of Evil is a good filler for the time between Attack of the Clone and Revenge of the Sith.

message 22: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (varconc) | 1 comments You might want to check this out, it's a little lengthy, but it's a good resource! (:

Topic: New to the EU? What to Read? Where to Start? What's That Mean? Questions Answered Here!

It's from a Star Wars board that I used to frequent. Hope it helps!

message 23: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I would watch them in order. The prequels then the first ones.

message 24: by Nicole (last edited May 28, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Nicole | 3 comments I started by reading the novelizations of the OT(Original Trilogy).

message 25: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (Seareader) I started with the Han Solo Trilogy then read the Thrawn Trilogy. I think if I had started any other way I would not have become so addicted to them now. I am on the Jedi Academy Trilogy now.

message 26: by Avery (new)

Avery Delany (taziusdelany) | 4 comments It's a shame there's not a more definitive list out there. I've found 2 so far and they're both much different from each other. One of them doesn't exactly seem in order and the other has lots of books missing from it. I'm currently using this one:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeli...

Does anyone familiar with the series think this is a good list to follow?

I originally started with what I thought was the beginning of the rise of the empire era, but the list I had was wrong and I've missed a few books out and read them all in the wrong order anyway.

I'm going to start back at the beginning, this time of the old republic era (as I started playing the MMO on the free trial and have KotOR which I'm enjoying). And will work my way forwards from there.

It'd be really good if I could get some advice on this too because the series is so huge that I'm finding it hard to find the right order to follow it in (if there is actually one).

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 31 comments most of the newer books have the timeline for the books in the front of them. they are in the correct order and include upcoming titles. the following link has the updated timeline for all books on it. it comes from the publishers website.

http://star-wars.suvudu.com/

just look about halfway down on the right.

message 28: by Avery (new)

Avery Delany (taziusdelany) | 4 comments Thanks :) I've got that one now.

Is the other one okay too, just out of curiosity? Just as it works well for me (being colour coded) and includes things from the YA genre as well.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 31 comments Jack, the one from wookiepedia is more detailed than the one from the book publisher site since it includes the childrens and young adult novels as well. It looks to be accurate though. It also includes a couple of the upcoming novels as well.

message 30: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (Seareader) Wookiepedia is pretty much in order. Honestly though, there is no "right" starting place. I started with the Thrawn trilogy and then the Han Solo Trilogy and then went in order after the thrawn triliogy. so obviously I am all over the map. I will probably go back to after the solo trilogy, but before the thrawn trilogy to fill in some gaps.

message 31: by Avery (new)

Avery Delany (taziusdelany) | 4 comments Thanks guys ^_^ I've finally found some kind of order. It's really daunting when you first want to to start but have to no idea where!

message 32: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (Seareader) If I started the NJO books, would I have to read them in order?

message 33: by Rachael (last edited Jul 29, 2012 06:34PM) (new)

Rachael | 199 comments Dakota wrote: "If I started the NJO books, would I have to read them in order?"

Yes. Yes. Absolutely yes.

message 34: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (Seareader) Yes. Yes. Absolutely yes."

Looks like I have a new reason to save money, haha

message 35: by Andrey (new)

Andrey | 4 comments Dakota wrote: "Yes. Yes. Absolutely yes."

Looks like I have a new reason to save money, haha"

Hey, i will say this. Yeah, it costs a bit to buy through the 19 or so books, but while some of them are ok, the jewels of the series are WAY worth it.
I mean, the series is a Universe it itself!

message 36: by Joe (new)

Joe English | 3 comments as a die hard movie fan I've just discovered how great the books are. I'm currently on book 2 of the Thrawn trilogy, dark force rising. I've found these books hard to put down

message 37: by Grace (new)

Grace  (sweetiepie1000) Are their books like after the movie Return of the Jedi? I mean like what happens next?

message 38: by Jason (new)

Jason (Darkfiction) | 9 comments Grace, check out Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn, if you haven't already. It's the first of a trilogy.

message 39: by Trent (new)

Trent | 12 comments My nephew just turned 13 trying to think of a good place to have him start

message 40: by Levi (new)

Levi | 3 comments Truce at Bakura almost immediatly follows Return of the Jedi. It's a good launching point for all the EU stuff that takes place after the movies.

message 41: by Sherlock (new)

Sherlock (LeSherlock) | 1 comments Wow! Thank you for all this. I've been slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of SW books, but I've always wanted to start them.

I found this article by TRICIABARR at Star Wars Books particularly helpful. I can't wait to read with you all!

message 42: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Sole | 29 comments i collect star wars books and have 125 i think :/ and hand of thrawn is definetly the place to start just to get a feel of the expanded universe, the NJO series would have to be my favorite series followed my the x-wing series and boba fett trilogy. but i don't to buy them as i see them, so say from i'jedi on-wards I've read in chrono, but before that its whenever i get a book i read it,I myself feel the content on and around the clone wars is a little weak, where as the old republic is awesome, but im rambling now anyway but if you have any questions just message me.

message 43: by Cassie (last edited Apr 26, 2013 08:15PM) (new)

Cassie Hawkings (chawk1993) | 6 comments I've got a few Star Wars books and the first book I ever got was the Jedi Quest book, Path to Truth and mind you I was 11 or 12, (I'm almost 20 now) at the time and I never got the chance to read it all the way through until earlier this year. As someone said, there is no "right" place to start. If you're feeling uncomfortable with reading a SW book that is set after the events of Return of the Jedi or before the events of Phantom Menace, I would start with books that start after the events of TPM and work forward or backwards from there or better still go onto the Star Wars wiki and read the bios on the characters before or after the movies. That's what I did with Jacen, Anakin (Solo), Jaina and Ben so that I that when I get to chance to read the books that I would feel comfortable reading about characters that weren't in the original films. I would suggest also to read the series of books or trilogies as it makes more sense that way before going to the standalones.

message 44: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rivera | 5 comments After having read episodes 6 - 8 when I was a kid many years passed before I got into Star Wars again. I started with the Thrawn Trilogy. It really depends on where your interest lies within the world of Star Wars. If your interest was more towards episodes 1 - 3, then start there and move forward. If it's after epidosde 7 then start there. Read books from the past if needed or if your interest has been piqued.

message 45: by Alex (new)

Alex (acaste119) | 4 comments Tanya wrote: "After having read episodes 6 - 8 when I was a kid many years passed before I got into Star Wars again. I started with the Thrawn Trilogy. It really depends on where your interest lies within the..."

WOW. maybe this was a typo Tanya, but there have only been six Star Wars movies to date: Original Trilogy [4-6] and Prequel Trilogy [1-3].

message 46: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rivera | 5 comments LOL total typo. That's what happens when you try to work and do personal fun stuff. LOL thanks for catching that.

message 47: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Sole | 29 comments Well we will be getting to those episodes soon enough right

message 48: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Rivera | 5 comments I'm a little wary though. I'm so entrenched in what the books have brought forward that I'm almost afraid to see what the movies will bring. I know Lucas had to approve all storylines, I hope he made sure that was part of the agreement with Disney.

message 49: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Hawkings (chawk1993) | 6 comments I personally am looking forward to the sequel trilogy. Being a filmmaker-in-training, I would love to see how Abrams copes with this franchise. I've read that he was never a real bit Star Trek fan but he grew up watch Star Wars so hopefully he does us SW fans proud though I have to admit, he did a good job with the 2009 Star Trek and I'm looking forward to the second one.

Anyway, I plan on reading the Fate of the Jedi series first and working my way backwards.

message 50: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Sole | 29 comments I agree Tanya I'm worried even more so with the fact that ford, fisher and Hamil have all signed on makes you wonder as to the time difference between original trilogy and sequel trilogy are we just going to go straight to Mara and Ben and Jaina and jacen being there??

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heir to the Empire (other topics)
Jedi Quest (other topics)