Drama and Theatre discussion

need help choosing a script

Comments (showing 1-9)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Amy | 32 comments Adam wrote: "I'm currently in a production of Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl... Seems like it might be a good fit for what you're doing. A retelling of the myth of Orpheus... You can really do anything with the script ..."

Thanks for the input, Adam. I will look for a script. It sounds intriguing and I like Ruhl's work.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently in a production of Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl... Seems like it might be a good fit for what you're doing. A retelling of the myth of Orpheus... You can really do anything with the script as far as interpreting it on the stage, so the treatment of the themes would certainly be ripe for discussion.

Jenna | 110 comments Amy wrote:Thank you, thank you, Jenna. Will be checking on script availability for lots of these. Will let you know what we come up with eventually.

They are all in print; some in anthologies, some in playscript editions, so depending on your local library/sources, you should not have trouble finding them or obtaining them through Amazon.

Just saw a production of To Kill...; I remember the Guthrie Theatre in Minnesota did Nickle and Dimed as one-woman show (?) a few years ago.

Amy | 32 comments Selena wrote: "You could do a novel/play tie in...
To Kill a Mockingbird
Nickle and Dimed
OR
any of the Pulitzer winners"

To Kill a Mockingbird was just produced here locally, so, while a great suggestion, that one is out. I wasn't aware that Nickle and Dimed was also a play. Will have to look at that one. Thanks, Selena!

Selena | 3 comments You could do a novel/play tie in...
To Kill a Mockingbird
Nickle and Dimed
OR
any of the Pulitzer winners

Amy | 32 comments Jenna wrote: "Translations by Brian Friel
Our Country's Good by Timerblake Wertenbaker
Striker by Caryl Churchill
Angels in America by Tony Kushner
Gross Indeceny by Moises Kaufman
Getting Married by G. B. Shaw
..."

Thank you, thank you, Jenna. Will be checking on script availability for lots of these. Will let you know what we come up with eventually.

Jenna | 110 comments Translations by Brian Friel
Our Country's Good by Timerblake Wertenbaker
Striker by Caryl Churchill
Angels in America by Tony Kushner
Gross Indeceny by Moises Kaufman
Getting Married by G. B. Shaw
The Wild Duck by Henrik Ibsen
Damaged Goods by Eugene Brieux
Shopping and F**ing by Mark Ravenhill
Sexual Perversity in Chicago by David Mamet
No Exit (Huis Clos) by Jean Paul Satre
A Shayna Maidel By Barbara Lebow
Fences by August Wilson

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) Do you do just plays or do you sometimes do musicals?

"Arsenic & Old Lace" is fun.
You Can't Take it with you

Steve Martin's "Picasso at the Lapan Agile" is great fun. It probably would be good for Q&A if for nothing else it has Pablo Picasso & Albert Einstein as central characters.

A show that is great for Q&A is "Kindertransport" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindertr...) I'm not sure how deep you want to get into as far as subject matter is though. It is a strong emotional piece.

Amy | 32 comments Hi Knowledgable Theater Folk!

Our small regional theatre has an agreement with our local public library system, whereby the library-sponsored reading group reads one of the plays from our season, then attends a matinee performance. After the performance, we host a Q & A with cast and director for the library group. We (& the library) prefer to do something well-known, but also validated by awards, etc. In the past this has been Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, J.B. and Doubt. We're struggling this year to come with a suitable script to present to the library. This is where you all come in - *please* send me suggestions of titles you think could work well in this kind of format.

Thanks in advance!!

unread topics | mark unread