Dresden Files discussion

Favorite Dresden Files Quotes

Comments (showing 1-50 of 211) (211 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Linsey (new)

Linsey (thelinseyverse) Ok...What are some of your favorite quotes?

It's a tie for mine:

Book 4 "Summer Knight" - plant monster aka the chlorofiend!

Book 10 "Small Favor" "Let's sum up: an unknown number of enemies with unknown capabilities, supported by a gang of madmen, packs of attack animals, and superhumanly intelligent pocket change."

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Griffith | 96 comments It's been a while since I read it but I'm thinking.

Book 7 Dead Beat - When the zombies are attacking Dresden's house. "I'm to stubborn to die, Thomas is too pretty to die, and Polka will never die."

Book 11 Turn Coat "I want a donut with sprinkles."

Book 12 Changes "So Harry did you tap that?"
"Tiny, but fierce."

Those are probably not exact quotes, but I'm pretty sure if you read the books, you'll remember the lines.

message 3: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Darkcain11 | 272 comments Mod
OK the greatest quote is.....

"Hey Harry"

"Yeah"

"Harry tell me again about Murphy's ass"

message 4: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 315 comments Mod
Turn Coat:

"You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."

message 5: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Dead Beat:

"it gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a journey, time is a river and the door is ajar."

message 6: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

dresden is hilarious

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary Proctor | 4 comments Gave Peril:

"I don’t have anything against God. Far from it. But I don’t understand Him. And I don’t trust a lot of the people that go around claiming that they’re working in His best interests. Faeries and vampires and whatnot—those I can fathom. Even demons. Sometimes, even the Fallen. I can understand why they do what they do. But I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be." Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

message 8: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (Kaligurl_7) | 29 comments there is great quotes through out the series, but its been a while since i read them if not id defenetly share a few of my favorites.... although i loved the one Mike shared from the book Dead Beat

message 9: by Cjpines (new)

Cjpines | 90 comments I find it shocking no one put this one up...

"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."

And props to Mike's quotes...here is the full dialog of the best IMO...

"We are not going to die."
Butters stared up at me, pale, his eyes terrified. "We're not?"
"No. And do you know why?" He shook his head. "Because Thomas is too pretty to die. And because I'm too stubborn to die." I hauled on the shirt even harder. "And most of all because tomorrow is Oktoberfest, Butters, and polka will never die."

message 10: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

I know... I cracked up at the "Bolshevik Muppet" quote, but then I crack up at so many.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Fierro | 6 comments Alot of the ones already mentioned are among my top ten. However, I'm surprised no one mentioned this gem from blood rites.

"There was a sound of impact, a raspy, dry scream, and the vampire went down hard. It lay on the ground like a butterfly pinned to a card, arms and legs thrashing uselessly. Its chest and collarbone had been crushed. By an entire frozen turkey. A twenty-pounder. The plucked bird must have fallen from an airplane overhead, doubtlessly manipulated by the curse. By the time it got to the ground, the turkey had already reached its terminal velocity, and was still hard as a brick. The drumsticks poked up above the vampire's crushed chest, their ends wrapped in red tinfoil. The vampire gasped and writhed a little more. The timer popped out of the turkey. Everyone stopped to blink at that for a second. I mean, come on. Impaled by a guided frozen turkey missile. Even by the standards of the quasi-immortal creatures of the night, that ain't something you see twice."

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie We cannot forget his battle cry "I don't believe in faeries!"

message 13: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

I must have laughed five minutes when I read Harry's battle cry.

message 14: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (WolfFaerie171) | 223 comments Mod
Here's my quote from Dead Beat: Butters upon meeting Mouse for the first time Harry says
"Half chow and half wooly mammoth. A wool chammoth."

message 15: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 25 comments "I'd fallen victim to one of the other classic blunders, along with not getting involved in a land war in Asia and never going in against a Sicilian when death was on the line."

message 16: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

James wrote: ""I'd fallen victim to one of the other classic blunders, along with not getting involved in a land war in Asia and never going in against a Sicilian when death was on the line.""

I'd completely forgotten about that quote but I've should have remembered it cuz it also come from one of my favorite movies The Princess Bride.

message 17: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

There are literally too many great "nerdistic" quotes to count in the Dresden books. I also liked the reference to "putting on a red shirt and volunteering for the away team."

message 18: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Yup I liked that one too! Like you said(Mike [the Paladin]), there are just too many great quotes from the books to count. But it is sure fun seeing what people like to quote from the books anyway.

message 19: by Sweetie (new)

Sweetie | 37 comments Jorge wrote: "Every time I read or re-read Dresden my cheeks and abdomen hurt from the constant laughter and smiling."

Me, too. I've read them 3 times and they're always fresh and funny.

message 20: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 25 comments Angie wrote: "James wrote: ""I'd fallen victim to one of the other classic blunders, along with not getting involved in a land war in Asia and never going in against a Sicilian when death was on the line.""

I..."

Yup. I love that film. It's so quotable in its own right, and I just about died when Dresden said this.

message 21: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (Kaligurl_7) | 29 comments i have one from Ghost Story, it doesnt give anything away i just thought it was kinda funny....

"(it burned down.)
(i was not responsible)"

u know giving that he burns everything lol.... i thought id share :)

message 22: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Ghost story

"You and i could be partners" Evil Bob

"You should know I've been hurt before" dresden

message 23: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (Kaligurl_7) | 29 comments I love that part too.

message 24: by Dave (new)

Dave M | 1 comments "Boobs are near the center of the universe, until you turn 25 or so. Which is also when a young man’s insurance rates go down. This is not a coincidence."
From Ghost Story - So funny becuase it's true.

message 25: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

.....(checks birth certificate).....no, over 25, hummm.

message 26: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Haha i forgot that dave. Its hilarious and has alot of truth in it.

message 27: by Armand (new)

Armand (Armand-I) | 32 comments "...It's just one hour. Just one little hour. What could happen in one hour?" (Mort, Ghost Story)"

message 28: by Armand (last edited Aug 19, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Armand (Armand-I) | 32 comments "Oh," the girl said, shaking her head. "Don't be so simple. People adore monsters. They fill their songs and stories with them. They define themselves in relation to them. You know what a monster is, young shade? Power. Power and choice. Monsters make choices. Monsters shape the world. Monsters force us to become stronger, smarter, better. They sift the weak from the strong and provide a forge for the steeling of souls. Even as we curse monsters, we admire them. Seek to become them, in some ways." Her eyes became distant. "There are far, far worse things to be than a monster.…" (Ghost Story)

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1 comments "There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English into sanity." - Sanya, Knight of the Cross, Changes

message 30: by Derek (new)

Derek Hecker | 6 comments I'm sorry but I am completely tied. I crack up every time Sanya says 'Tiny but Fierce'. And then there is "Bolshevik Muppet"

message 31: by Derek (new)

Derek Hecker | 6 comments There are so many!!!!! :( Not Fair! now that ive read all these i dont know which is my favorite! Tiny but Firce is up there. and then theres the one about murphys ass

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

"The strobing blue lights were almost comforting, by now. I'd seen them so many times that it felt, in an unsettling way, like a homecoming." - I can't remember which one this is actually from, but I have it on the sidebar of my blog now.

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna | 16 comments ...Why'd you get the large breed dog food?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 52 comments James wrote: ""I'd fallen victim to one of the other classic blunders, along with not getting involved in a land war in Asia and never going in against a Sicilian when death was on the line.""

I love both Dresden and Princess Bride!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 52 comments “Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?"

"Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead, I said solemnly, and frosting of white.”
― Jim Butcher, Small Favor

“The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming.”
― Jim Butcher, Ghost Story

message 36: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Alana wrote: "James wrote: ""I'd fallen victim to one of the other classic blunders, along with not getting involved in a land war in Asia and never going in against a Sicilian when death was on the line.""

I l..."

Happens to be my favorite too!

message 37: by Armand (new)

Armand (Armand-I) | 32 comments here's my vote for worst Dresden Files quote: "I kicked my brain in the stomach until it threw up an idea." I forget which book that quote is from, but it stuck with me both as a gross metaphor and there are just too many bodily organs going on. Good thing he didn't kick his brain in the n*ts.

message 38: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Did he eat some brain food before he kicked his brain in his stomach, Armand?

message 39: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Abe. (wagonburner) | 15 comments "i don't do hats" - Changes.

i like this one because the covers kind of annoy me when he is seen with a hat on, and he DOESNT WEAR A HAT IN THE BOOKS.

that and almost every StarWars reference he makes to Molly. those are always well timed and hilarious.

message 40: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

I know it's one of the few disconnects in the series as Harry has also always threatened to get a hat...and spurs.

message 41: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Maybe Murphy will buy Harry the hat he wants.

message 42: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

I think thats a job for Thomas

message 43: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Nah...Thomas is said to look good in clothes, but I'm not sure cowboy hats would be an area he'd be knowledgeable in...

message 44: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Murphy already told Dresden that his duster belonged on the set of El Dorado!

message 45: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Abe. (wagonburner) | 15 comments i dunno, thomas continues to astonish in terms of whats fashionable, aka gay hairdresser.

also, just read this

"there is no spoon, i am completely spoonless over here"
ghost story.

message 46: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Abe. (wagonburner) | 15 comments "what happens in the Yucatan stays in the Yucatan. there will be no jokes about sniffing butts or chasing tails or anything like that. ever. agreed?"

message 47: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Ryan wrote: ""what happens in the Yucatan stays in the Yucatan. there will be no jokes about sniffing butts or chasing tails or anything like that. ever. agreed?""

That's a really good quote!

message 48: by Krishna (new)

Krishna (senseiping) | 22 comments “Bring it, Darth Bathrobe!”

"Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

"My gast was pretty well flabbered."

"Gandalf never had this kind of problem."

message 49: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Abe. (wagonburner) | 15 comments i cracked up to the ones you posted for a bit. damned funny.

message 50: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Krishna wrote: "“Bring it, Darth Bathrobe!”

"Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

"My gast was pretty well flabbered."

"Gandalf never had this kind o..."

Great quotes!

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blood Rites (other topics)
Cold Days (other topics)