SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

April Discussions > Hyperion

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) I started this late last night and I'm about 300 locations into it. I haven't even started forming an opinion on it yet other than it feels like we're starting in the middle of a story instead of the beginning .... which I hope is a good thing.

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 75 comments I was quick to compare it with The Canterbury Tales.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Mathison | 1 comments I love this book -- I've re-read it a number of times, and get something new out of it each time. Enjoy!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I reread (or listened to the unabridged audio) in March 2010. It's still fresh enough that I'm not going to reread again now. I'd rank it in the top three science fiction novels.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (DonnaHR) As Stormhawk said, it's told in the form of the Canterbury Tales and it got me thinking how that is a very old story telling style and how effective it still is. Simmons does such a great job telling the individual tales and each tale is long enough that I was totally immersed in it. I would be somewhat disappointed that it had ended but before I knew it I was sucked into the next one. I am listening to it and have only 1.5 hours left (out of ~20) and I still have no idea how it will end. If it ends on a cliffhanger I'm going to be pissed!

message 6: by Manatees (new)

Manatees Owlie | 4 comments I'm some 200 pages into it and so far it's brilliant. I love the amount of detail and how the story flows together. I've read lots of later Dan Simmons but this is my first time that I'm reading Hyperion and I can see clearly why it is such a classic. It seems like most of my fave writers (such as Iain Banks and Alastair Reynolds) have been hugely influenced by it.

message 7: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) I'm 30% into it now and half-way through The Soldier's Tale. You are correct, Donna, that its interesting how old this style of story telling is and how well it can still work.

I love that the main narrative, the Priest and the Soldier's tales are all in different voices as well as interesting in and of themselves. I do wonder, however, if any of these tales will include cuckolded husbands and sticking one's booty out the window ... :D

message 8: by Bigal-sa (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments Unfortunately, Hyperion for Kindle is unavailable to me in Africa :(

unread topics | mark unread