Creative Reviews discussion

Read here first > Read this for new members

Comments (showing 151-200 of 1,309) (1309 new)    post a comment »

Susan (soul_unsung) | 112 comments Okay, I understand now. I was getting confused there for a minute and the only reason it was starting to bother me is, because I'm getting so much mail from this particular topic that my inbox (with all of the other mail I'm getting from elsewhere) is starting to get ping-backs or some of it is starting to bounce off of the server and my box is getting too full to hold all of my mail and I'm afraid I'm missing something that could be important.

That's the only reason that I'm like gah, at the moment. If I could just get everything in digest form once a day from here, instead of several little messages one behind another then I would totally be okay with that. And I've been trying to play around with my settings and for some reason, I can't figure out how to get them set right to a point where I can be happy with them. So, I'm sorta getting frustrated with that, I hope you understand.

It's just been a really stressful week for me, with my gran's surgery and everything else going on. That, my head just feels a bit 'splodey right now. So, you're seeing me at pretty much my snaptastic worse, and I really do hate that. So, I hope you don't hold anything against me. This is normally who I am, I just have A LOT on my plate right now and it's hard to deal with it all and keep my sanity a bit.

message 152: by Amy (new)

Amy (Dranea) | 1841 comments Mod
It happens to the best of us! :-) No worries!!

Susan (soul_unsung) | 112 comments Oh my god, I just noticed that I wrote "this is normally who I am," and I actually meant to say, "this is not who I normally am." But, thank you so much, for understanding. I do apologize.

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Suz wrote: "Oh my god, I just noticed that I wrote "this is normally who I am," and I actually meant to say, "this is not who I normally am." But, thank you so much, for understanding. I do apologize."

Hope things calm down for you soon!

Susan (soul_unsung) | 112 comments Cambria wrote: "Suz wrote: "Oh my god, I just noticed that I wrote "this is normally who I am," and I actually meant to say, "this is not who I normally am." But, thank you so much, for understanding. I do apologi..."

Thanks so much, I appreciate that. :)

message 156: by Amy (new)

Suz wrote: "Oh my god, I just noticed that I wrote "this is normally who I am," and I actually meant to say, "this is not who I normally am." But, thank you so much, for understanding. I do apologize."

No need to apologize!! Everyone has their bad days!! Technology can definitely help make matters worse!! :-)

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments LOL, If i had a dime for everytime i needed help with my computer I would be so rich.

Susan (soul_unsung) | 112 comments This is true, I mean for some reason today I was experiencing being suspended from sending out email and I don't understand why. It said something about my sending out massive spam and that's not even the case at all. I haven't been sending out any of it, I've been receiving butt tons of it trying to figure out how not to receive it. And then I even reported some and then last night I was able to send and receive mail, but today it would only let me receive unless I jumped through all of these hoops that I normally don't have to in order to be able to send email. I'm like, seriously...I was trying to reply back to an author who was wanting to get me involved with the class of 2k12. Ya know, asking me to host some guest spots and interviews on my blog for new upcoming young adult books and all that. I was like...Ooh, I don't need this, but it finally let me send it to her. I just hope that she got it.

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Suz wrote: "This is true, I mean for some reason today I was experiencing being suspended from sending out email and I don't understand why. It said something about my sending out massive spam and that's not e..."

we all have those bad days...tomorrow will be better!

Starry | 2 comments thanks for the invite! appreciate it(:

message 161: by Amy (new)

Welcome to the group Starry!! It is great to have you!!

Liana (Lianaaaaaaa) | 1 comments Natshane wrote: "Hey Amy! Thanks for the invite! I love giving book reviews but I'm not much of a good reviewer myself. I was hoping that I could improve my reviews too though."

Thank you for the invite Natshane! I can't wait to express my ideas and opinions!

message 163: by Amy (new)

Welcome Liana! It is great to see you here, and I look forward to what you have to share to our group as well!! :-)

Susan (soul_unsung) | 112 comments sigh.

Natalie (Nataliejean) hi suz, why the big sigh hun?

Susan (soul_unsung) | 112 comments Oh, I'm just trying to figure my settings out over here for how I receive things, and it seems like I haven't yet. lol. I thought I had. :)

Natalie (Nataliejean) LOL I totally understand Suz, but it's coming along better than it was a month ago, now, if i could figure out my blog better i'd be happy :)

Michael Jenkins (book_nerd1991) Hey I just joined, this seems like an interesting group.

message 169: by Amy (new)

Hello Michael! This is a marvelous group, and we are very excited to have you here!! :-)

Michael Jenkins (book_nerd1991) Thanks for the warm welcome!

message 171: by Amy (new)

It is my pleasure! Feel free to roam around the group, and please, feel free to open up new topics! You do not have to just use the ones that are already here!

Cheryl (cherylbaryl) | 1 comments Hello! Thanks for inviting me to this group! I am always looking for ways to make my reviews better. I have had a blog for almost 2 years. I started out telling a lot about the book in my reviews. An author said people might think I give too much away. Now I say less about the book and try to blend in some personal thoughts about it. I don't write long reviews because I know that when I see a long review, I tend to skip to the last paragraph to see how they really feel about the book. I have a blog at http://www.blackdiamondsbookreviews.com!

message 173: by Amy (new)

Hello Cheryl!! Glad you have joined!! I think we have some very talented reviewers here, and they all have wonderful things to share! There is a place for you to add your blog page to so people will be able to find it. Please feel free to explore and have some fun here!

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Cheryl wrote: "Hello! Thanks for inviting me to this group! I am always looking for ways to make my reviews better. I have had a blog for almost 2 years. I started out telling a lot about the book in my revie..."

I like that advice about blogging-about keeping it brief. I do like a little at the beginning-an introduction or a little excerpt from the book but then I like to know what the reviewer thinks. Welcome to the group! I'll check out your blog soon!

message 175: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnthewriter) | 1 comments Hi. I just joined yesterday. I've only been on the site itself for a few weeks & have only recently starting writing reviews of books I've read, but, I'm looking forward to writing more & reading the reviews of other readers/writers as well.

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Hi Dawn! can't wait to read a few of your reviews!!

message 177: by Amy (new)

Welcome Dawn!! We are all looking forward to seeing some of your reviews!! Take a look around!! Glad you joined!!

message 178: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments Hi there!

Is it alright for me to join? I'm predominantly an author at the moment but I do review the books I read when I get time to do so. I will warn that I'm also looking for reviews of my own book, so if you'd rather I didn't mention that bit of it please let me know and will only come here with my reviewer's head on!

JAC

message 179: by Amy (new)

Hello J.A.!! Of course you can join as an author and as a reviewer!! This is a site for everyone...I'm thinking of changing the description of the group actually so both know they are welcome! I even have a section set up with for authors who are looking for reviewers! Please take a look around!!

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Hi J.A.!! Great to see you! What is the genre that you write in? What are you reading now?

message 181: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments Thanks Amy!

Hi Cambria - I write fantasy -kind of dark fantasy but not vamps or werewolves. My first novel has just hit cyberspace so am pimping it for reviews (!) and trying to spread the word a bit, which actually takes SO much time, esp as book 2 is about to hit editing.
As a result I have very little reading time except my commute to work and back, but I'm currently reading Replica by Lexi Revellian which is, I think, even better than her first book, so can recommend!

JAC

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Yes, I think that spreading the word would be very time consuming! But I think it would be worth it! ;)
I haven't read Replica but whenever I get my to-read list whittled down a bit maybe I will check it out!
Good luck with your first novel! What is the title of your book and where is it available?

message 183: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments It's called "On Dark Shores 1: The Lady"; Goodreads page is here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10... but you can get it from Amazon and Smashwords in a variety of formats for various e-readers.

At the moment I'm looking for reviews so I may go start thread offering free review copies - so long as the review's honest and the reviewer says why they liked or hated it, it's all good!

Also someone suggested it might be classifiable as horror and I haven't read enough horror to know, so that would be a really useful thing to find out.

Thanks for that, Cambria - and good luck with the TBR list - I know my hardback TBRs are stacked next to the bed and currently about the same height as my bedside table, which is mental!!
JAC

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments WoW! I really love the cover for your book!! It is so beautiful. It looks like a Good read to me!! :)Its funny you mention horror books, it is a genre I haven't read and I was just telling a friend of mine this morning that I might give one a try. I have read some reviews on GR for a few horror books that have made me curious.

message 185: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments Thanks Cambria! I love it too - a friend I met through NaNoWriMo did it for me. She's incredibly talented, and I think it makes such a difference to have a good cover. I'm so fortunate in having such talented friends, I can't tell you!
JAC

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Having a great support system makes all the difference and I think it is great. I have heard awesome things about NaNoWriMo, though i have not tried it.

message 187: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments Oh, you should! It's hysterical - in all senses! But basically I find it really useful because it's an amount of time where writing comes first. Most of the time you only get stuff done in dribs and drabs because there's always work, housework, family stuff, commuting, and all the life-admin that eats up your free time, and that's when there isn't something on telly you really want to watch, etc...Writing can always be done tomorrow so doesn't ever get done if you're not careful.

In Wrimo you set yourself a target (the default is 50k words but you can aim for less or more) and then you sit down and for a month *everything* comes second - you tape your TV programmes, someone else does the housework, you type like a mad thing late into the night, and on the train, and through lunch hour, and in every free moment you can scrounge; and all the time your friends who are also doing it compete, support, egg you on.

By the end of the month you'll look like a zombie and be ready to sleep for three days solid, but you'll have done a chunk of writing and you'll have done enough for it to be worth continuing with.

It's very good practice and it works; if you have a story to tell and you haven't got round to it yet, you never will unless you start, and Wrimo is a way of making it happen.

I'll be doing it again in Nov - you should def come and play!
JAC

Karen | 4 comments Hi!

I'm Karen and I have a book blog called Release Notes. I review all genres with a special interest in paranormal and urban fantasy. Feel free to hit me up: http://Release-Notes.blogspot.com

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments It does sound like fun! Crazy fun. It is hard to just write sometimes, everything does get in the way it seems. I find myself saying, I'll have tons of time if I just do this one thing first....then that leads to another and another. hahaha.

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Hi Karen! Can't wait to check out your blog!

Stephanie That's a very good description of NaNoWriMo, J.A. Haha

message 192: by Amy (new)

Welcome Karen! It is great to see you on here! If you would like to make sure people see your blog, we have a special section for everyone to list their blogs and such so they don't get lost in this introduction thread!! :-)

Arshad (pactarcanum) | 30 comments Hello, all.

My name is Arshad Ahsanuddin and I have put out two novels that would fall roughly in the category of contemporary fantasy/gay paranormal romance, though there are science fiction elements as well. I would be grateful if any of you would be interested in reviewing my work. Feel free to visit my Goodreads profile or my website: http://pactarcanum.com for more information.

The first two books in the series are Sunset: Pact Arcanum: Book One and Sunrise: Pact Arcanum: Book Two, and I have posted excerpts of the first ten chapters (roughly 20%) of each book if anyone cares for a free taste.

I can supply reviewers with Kindle, EPUB, or print formats, according to their preferences.

Respectfully,
Arshad Ahsanuddin

message 194: by Amy (new)

Hi Arshad!! Welcome to the group! You may want to put this information into the "authors looking for reviewers" section of the group so as many people as possible can see it!!

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Hey Arshad! Welcome to the group.

Kayleigh {K-Books} (Kayley_12) Hey, I'm Kayleigh and I have a blog dedicated to reviewing books and just letting ppl know news about new releases and stuff, called K-Books
http://kayleigh-m-books.blogspot.com/

thanks for the invite cambria

message 197: by Amy (new)

Welcome Kay!! Great to have you here! Take a look around and have a wonderful time!!

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Kayleigh!!! So glad you joined the group!! There are a lot of really cool people around here! Make sure you post a couple reviews around because we want everyone to see how awesome they are!!! So great to see you on here! :)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (Kayley_12) thanks for inviting me.
I probably won't get round to reading much on the group till later, my exam is on friday so i'm concentrating on that lol

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments No problem, Kay!!! Your exams should come first....even if you would rather be reading!!! hahaha. good luck on the exams by the way! Feel free to check out the group whenever you get time! And thank you for joining!!!