Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Fantasy Romance > Dragon, anyone?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 87) (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 5 comments I wondered what otherworldly beings tickle your fancy. I've been obsessed with dragons lately, but have also been looking for unicorns. And of course, I've written about faeries. :)

So, other than vamps, weres, and shifters, where has your imagination taken you lately? Got any book recommendations?

Jacquie

message 2: by new_user (last edited Aug 24, 2008 11:39AM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments It's always nice to see authors breaking new ground instead of the same vamps and whatnot. I'd like to see more stories involving selkies (or the other sea dwellers), succubi/incubi (Richelle Mead), dragon shifters (Shana Abe), and gargoyles.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (TeresaDAmario) | 95 comments Give Deborah Cooke a try. She has dragon shifters, and they are pretty awesome. Her first one is Kiss of Fire, the second is Kiss of Fury.

Teresa D'Amario
http://teresadamario.com

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (wwwgoodreadscomerinmiller) Katie McAlister's dragon books are wonderful - the cover blurb on light my fire seemed a little weird to me, but i had a gift card so i went ahead and bought it - and loved it so much i read the whole series in just a few weeks!

message 5: by Amie (new)

Amie (AmieStuart) | 44 comments Jacquie,

I think Diana Peterfreund (sp?) has a YA book about unicorns coming out. Don't know when but I remember reading about it on Fangs Fur and Fey!

New....try Raine Weaver's Incubus from Loose-Id (with the caveat that she's my critique parnter, I think it's the best thing she's ever written. Very sexy, very hot and very spooky).

message 6: by Christal (new)

Christal (christal00) | 83 comments M.J. Putney writes a series of historical "bodice-ripper" fantasy that involves unicorns. It starts with A Kiss of Fate, but the unicorn isn't a main character until the second book, Stolen Magic.

Virginia Kantra writes a PNR series about selkies. It starts with Sea Witch and is followed by Sea Fever.

Larissa Ione writes a PNR series where one of the main characters is an incubus-type demon. He's officially called a Seminus demon, but they have some very similar characteristics. The first book is called Pleasure Unbound.

C.E. Murphy writes The Negotiator Trilogy about a gargoyle. The first book is Heart of Stone. I haven't read them yet, but if they are anything like her other books, they should be good.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yep, Kantra, Ione, and Murphy are on my TBR list, but actually I didn't realize that Ione's book involved an incubus. I may move that one up the list.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Okay, maybe I'm just being dense but how can you have a "romance" novel involving dragons and unicorns. Are they seconday characters or are they one of the romance partners? Just thinking about that gives me the willies! Especially the unicorn...my imagination is just going wild!

message 9: by Beth F. (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) I’m with Lori. And am anxiously awaiting the response of someone who knows the answer to this!

message 10: by new_user (last edited Aug 29, 2008 12:26PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Well, I haven't read any books about unicorns, but most of the books I've read with the dragons, the characters are shifters. Although that reminds me- I think Keri Arthur writes a book with a werestallion, doesn't she? Lol.

message 11: by Karen (last edited Aug 30, 2008 04:42AM) (new)

Karen (mansiongal) | 10 comments I second the comment that most of the non-humanoid characters (dragons, gargoyles, etc.) I've read about are shifters. If memory serves, there are very many references to the stallion in Keri Arthur's series (Kade) being similarly blessed in human form as he is in horse form. Kind of a new take on the old "hung like a horse." :)

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (mansiongal) | 10 comments I just had another thought -- Acheron (Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series) has a demon who is a tattoo when she's not in humanoid form. She had a sexual encounter at one point in the series -- presumably when she was a demon, not Ash's tattoo! :)

message 13: by pianogal (new)

pianogal | 31 comments Stella Price and her sister wrote a book where the main characters are unicorn shifters. I think it was called "Soft Edge of Midnight." It didn't rock my world, but it was ok.

message 14: by new_user (last edited Aug 30, 2008 09:11PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Karen: I thought of that too. That reference is inevitable when writing werehorses, I think, lol. I'm sure Arthur knew it too. I wouldn't have imagined a horse shifter to be very appealing, being prey and all, but it doesn't sound too bad, lol. And the idea of a demon as tattoo is pretty creative. I like ideas like that, although I'm afraid they would never make it as main character.

pianogal: That's the problem. There are books written about the more unique creatures, but they're just okay. Granted, the expectations of erotica are more lenient, but I don't see why these kinds of characters wouldn't make it into full-length novels.

message 15: by Annette (last edited Aug 30, 2008 08:04PM) (new)

Annette | 23 comments Beth and Lori
You should try Shana Abe her dragon shifter series are awesome the last one was 'queen of the dragons'--but they are ALL on my keeper shelf.

message 16: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (TeresaDAmario) | 95 comments Hi Lori,

I'm sorry it took me so long to get here after your post. I got a copy in my email and said "I have to answer that", and with all the holiday guests, then the fun cold bug that came afteward, I'm just now getting back.

As for how dragons can be sexy, it's the same as any powerful, aggressive predator. How can any of them be sexy?

It's not the look. It's the energy. A good author brings the energy of the creature in question into her books, letting the reader get that shiver of anticipation just before the shift. The heroine senses immediately the wild energy surrounding her "Future mate", and it calls to her in a way nothing else has before. It's confusing. It's sensuous. It's romantic.

And with dragons, it's also magickal. We were all raised on a plethora of stories where dragons are fire breathing beasts of destruction. There are just as many stories where they are friend and protector to man. Which will the hero be? Good? Evil? or is there an in between?

It's the author's job to put all that excitement into the book, whether she's writing about dragons, wolves, Lions, Tigers or bears, oh my (sorry I can't seem to get rid of that stupid phrase).

I've found a creature I want to add as a secondary character. It's a beast who is not pretty(in fact he's pretty darned ugly) and is prey instead of predator. He is, however, vindictive, holds a grudge for years, and is very very intelligent. He methodically plans and stalks it's victim who has angered it. And he can kill. He works alone or in a herd. He never forgets. All characteristics of an interesting person.

But because I can't bring myself to think he's sexy, I can't make him a hero in any of the books In my head, though I can make him a friend, a nemesis, or just about anything else.

Ok, now my brain is spinning on him again. I won't tell you what he is, just in case he DOES show up in one of my books. LOL. I want it to be secret.

Teresa D'Amario
Tigress By the Tail
SheWolf
http://teresadamario.com for buy links.
The tension is unmistakable, the action exciting, and the book will stay in your mind and on your shelf for a long time to come. ~Romance At Heart
http://shapeshifterromance.wordpress.com - Come join us where the natural authors of romance, er... shapeshifters hang!

message 17: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 210 comments If you are looking for romance with sexy dragons, I suggest checking out Yasmine Galenorn's "Sisters of the Moon" series. In it three sisters, a witch, a werecat, and a vampiress have some neat adventures as well as some romances with other supernatural beings like elves, demons, fairies, as well as one who is a dragon who has the hots for the witch. Their romance really takes off in the fourth book, "Dragon Wytch," but the first three are must reads.

message 18: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 124 comments Dragon Wytch also had a unicorn prince in it. There's a new series that I read the first book of, Eternal Pleasure, where the male characters are battling evil and they've just been called back to life after 70 -80 million years. In their former incarnations they were other predators, and she keeps you guessing for a long while! It was a great book, but I can't remember the author right now! SORRY!

message 19: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 124 comments Just checked, the book is by Nina Bangs.

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 210 comments "Eternal Pleasure" does sound good, I'm gonna check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, Rebecca.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Hi Teresa. Thank you for the explanation. I didn't realize that all of these characters were shape shifters. That makes much more sense. I was trying to figure out how you could have a romance between a human and a dragon, or any other kind of animal that never changed into a human form, without it being kind of yucky.

I personally prefer my heroes to be hot, uber alpha males that, if shifters, change into something I consider very masculine. I guess for me, that means any large, predator type animal. I guess I can see where a dragon would fall into that category. I promise to keep an open mind :)

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I'm planning to check out Galenorm (what's up with her Darkling cover though, braids?) and Nina Bangs, although the last time I read Bangs it was like reading standup. That got pretty annoying. I'll give her another shot though, see if she's improved.

message 23: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 210 comments I don't want to give anything away, but I will tell you that Menolly having braids like on the cover of "Darkling" is explained in the books, but I don't recall if it is in "Darkling" in particular or if it is in one of the other three.

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hm, something to do with magic, I'm guessing? Well, that's kind of reassuring then. I thought it was just an art department's idea of young and hip gone horribly wrong, lol. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hendrix (LisaHendrix) | 57 comments Lori said:
"I personally prefer my heroes to be hot, uber alpha males that, if shifters, change into something I consider very masculine. I guess for me, that means any large, predator type animal."

Me, too, but I'm doing a nine book series, and wanted each of my heroes to be a different creature. Coming up with nine "sexy" animals at all, much less nine predators, that Vikings would have known about was a challenge. And I couldn't really use an ice bear (polar bear) because the men were cursed in England and that just wouldn't have worked--all that white would have been too obvious, and how the heck would he have hunted? There was also the challenge that the Vikings had "totems" that weren't necessarily sexy -- a wild boar, for instance. Considered it, but just couldn't... ;)

message 26: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments Has anyone read "Dragon Actually" by G.A. Aiken? I just picked it up last night.

message 27: by new_user (last edited Sep 09, 2008 08:50PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I had it on my TBR list, Cassandra, but then I read a review and it seemed a little too light for me. Let us know how you like it though.

Lisa, I see your dilemma. I was thinking about that the other day, what kinds of creatures authors would use if they diverged from the typical wolf/big cat, and past a certain number, it is hard to find good fierce animals (big predators) that meet that criteria. I guess there are more prey than not, lol. But some of the more unusual can be interesting too, like the birds of prey shifters, stallion shifter, dragon, etc., although I'm not sure that could apply to vikings, unfortunately. I admire your devotion to those kinds of details though. It makes it easier to suspend disbelief if the whole story doesn't sound contrived.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hendrix (LisaHendrix) | 57 comments "But some of the more unusual can be interesting too, like the birds of prey shifters, stallion shifter, dragon, etc. "

@ new_user --

And I'm using those (except dragon) -- . In fact, the Nov. book is an eagle by day and a man by night. One of them is a raven, sacred bird to Odin, etc. (I don't want to give them all away right now). it was tough to come up with nine authentic, usable animals, though, and not duplicate any.

Now I've got to go into deep deadline mode, so I won't b around for a while. Keep having interesting conversations so I can look forward to catching up in a few weeks,

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Very cool, Lisa. Looking forward to reading your book when it comes out. Good luck! :)

message 30: by Diana (new)

Diana (MissDi) | 64 comments Joseph, Menolly's braids are explained in the first book Witchling, as well as in her story. There is a definite reason for them, and after you read Darkling you understand much more.

message 31: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbie_mumford) | 2 comments Hi everyone! Newbie joining the chat *waves to Teresa*

I've been obsessed with dragons *forever* I think my love affair started with Anne McCaffrey's Pern. When I wrote my first dragon-shifter tale, I took the love scenes both directions, letting my dragons mate as well as the humans that they morphed into. I've had a few reviewers comment that they never anticipated falling in love with a male dragon, but enjoyed the experience *lol*

Shana Abe's dragon-shifters are awesome! I seriously love her books!

---Debbie

Debbie Mumford
Flights of Fantasy
http://www.debbiemumford.com

message 32: by new_user (last edited Nov 11, 2008 10:19AM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hey, Debbie, welcome to the group. Can never have too many books with dragon shifters, I say, LOL. ;)

message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (TeresaDAmario) | 95 comments Hi Debbie! Good to see you here!

Teresa D'Amario
Tigress By the Tail
SheWolf Prism Finalist
http://teresadamario.com for buy links.
The tension is unmistakable, the action exciting, and the book will stay in your mind and on your shelf for a long time to come. ~Romance At Heart
http://shapeshifterromance.wor... - Come join us where the natural authors of romance, er... shapeshifters hang!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 461 comments I never thought of dragons with romantic potential until I read The Smoke Thief. That has changed. Christoff was so sexy. I also like Blaise from Kinley MacGregor's Lords of Avalon books. He's a wyvern (type of dragon). I can't wait to read his book. I would love more recs on Dragon paranormals (not erotica though. sensual is great).

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 461 comments Kresley Cole has gotten me interested in valkyries. I'd love to read more books that explore valkyries and Norse myths.

message 36: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Gatadelafuente, I love Abe's books. Definitely agree with you about Christoff. Have you read the others? I didn't know MacGregor wrote any dragon paranormals, I'll definitely be checking that out, thanks for the info. Thus far, Cole is the only one I've read involving valkyries, but Gena Showalter does Greek myth.

message 37: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Wow, dragons as humans, that's a new take. May give those books a try. Not sure about how I feel about the eating people part though, LOL. Don't like my shifters to be monsters so much.

message 38: by new_user (last edited Dec 23, 2008 12:28PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hm, I don't mind the violence much, I just want them to be good characters, I think that violence makes the conflict more visceral and interesting (rather than, say, the vampire who couldn't get Gucci shoes). I don't actually enjoy light paranormal too much, but they sounds good from the way you describe them, LOL. ;) Guess they'll go on my TBR. :)

message 39: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
I just picked up from the library two books from Deborah Cooke Dragonfire series. They seem to be about shapeshifting dragon warrios called Pyr.

I haven't read them yet, but the blurbs sound interesting. Anybody who has read this series? Are they worth reading?

message 40: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I read the first, Yz, and what kind of turned me off about the book was that the main characters were so powerfully attracted to each other right from the start for no reason that I could see. I understand physical attraction, but that portentous "you're my destiny" feeling at first sight is not a favorite device of mine. One of my peeves, actually, LOL. I like them to build a real relationship, based on a few conversations at least or a shared interest or something... So I stopped reading. The blurb did sound interesting though, LOL.

message 41: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Oh..well...Thanks new_user for the input. I guess I will probably still read it..but I'll probably read the other books I borrowed first. I got another set of books from another author I haven't read before: Jackie Kessler Hell On Earth series. It's about a a succubus hiding from Hell's Demon by pretending to be a stripper in New York. Again I based it on the blurbs...I hope it is good.

message 42: by Selkie (new)

Selkie (Silverstein) | 9 comments I've loved dragons and faeries since I was nine years old, and continue to adore them. :) I've also become very fond of incubi, succubi, non-wolf werebeasts, zombies, angels, and others. And of course, the typical paranormal romance creatures. ;)

If you like dragons, might I suggest The Dream Thief by Shana Abe? It's actually about a race of people who can become dragons. It's technically the second book in the series, but I read it without reading the first and had no problem understanding it. I found it very enjoyable. :)

message 43: by Kathy (last edited Dec 25, 2008 01:44PM) (new)

Kathy | 65 comments Teresa wrote: "Give Deborah Cooke a try. She has dragon shifters, and they are pretty awesome. Her first one is Kiss of Fire, the second is Kiss of Fury.

Teresa D'Amario
http://teresadamario.com"

Hi Teresa, I really like Deborah Cooke, aka Claire Delacroix. Yes her books are romance and the whole I was made for you can be a bit hard to take sometimes but soul mate stories have their place too. This one has a lot of action and interesting dragons as well.

Anyway she lives in my town. I don't know her but its kind of cool anyway.

message 44: by Denni (last edited Jan 02, 2009 10:04PM) (new)

Denni | 64 comments YZ, I looovvee the library, especially for new authors. That way I don't feel like I wasted money on books I don't like. Didn't care for the first Deborah Cooke novel, don't really know why but didn't finish & had no desire to read the sequil. Haven't read Jackie Kessler yet, so let us know how it goes.

Shana Abe is a very good author. And I enjoyed the Negotiator series by C.E. Murphy which features a gargoyl as the hero. Heart Of Stone by C.E. Murphy

Oh hey G.A. Aiken = Shelly Laurenston? New to me, I adore Shelly Laurenston. Dragon Actually must be a very early work, I didn't care for the first story and the second was just ok. IMO the author had difficulty writing a strong heroine without edging into cold and bitchy (seems to be an almost universal problem).

Allyson James writes a Dragon series, I read the first one and then got distracted. Other writers may have contributed to the series, such as Joy Nash and Robbin Popp?

message 45: by Denni (last edited Jan 02, 2009 10:34PM) (new)

Denni | 64 comments Kathy, It's fun to know what authors live in your community (or nearby). I live near Cherry Adair, Lauren Dane, Stella Cameron, J.A. Jance, Richelle Mead, and Yasmine Galenorn. Widening the area to more regional, we add Susan Lyons, Alexis Morgan, and I heard Patricia Briggs is moving back from Montana. Elizabeth Lowell and J.A. Jance were local authors before moving south.

message 46: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yeah, I didn't care for Allyson James myself, a little syrupy, but I'll be starting CE Murphy's gargoyle series soon and eventually Laurenston's, which I hear is pretty light.

message 47: by Denni (last edited Jan 02, 2009 11:41PM) (new)

Denni | 64 comments I don't usually care for light/funny, but Shelly Laurenston is awesome! Pack Challenge was my first... Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack #1) by Shelly Laurenston

message 48: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Denni wrote: "YZ, I looovvee the library, especially for new authors. That way I don't feel like I wasted money on books I don't like. Didn't care for the first Deborah Cooke novel, don't really know why but d..."

Denni, I'm with you on the library thing. I used it to read new authors and then I buy only those I really really liked.

I did finish the Deborah Cooke's Dragonfire first book. It's okay although i read some books in between. I'll probably read the other two since I have them in my possession.

I finished Hell's Belles in one sitting. It's funny, definitely light read and quite raunchy, after all she is a sex demon. The writing has plenty of cliches so if that irritates you, you might not like it, but I thought it was charming. Great world-building of hell. Told from the heroine's point of view. I like it enough to read the next two books.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hendrix (LisaHendrix) | 57 comments Denni wrote: "Kathy, It's fun to know what authors live in your community (or nearby). I live near Cherry Adair, Lauren Dane, Stella Cameron, J.A. Jance, Richelle Mead, and Yasmine Galenorn. Widening the area t..."

If you're in that area, you also have Debbie Macomber, Kristin Hannah, Megan Chance, Susan Wiggs, Sheila Roberts, Jill Barnett, Katherine Stone, Jayne Krentz, Elizabeth Boyle, Katie Macallister, Suzanne Macpherson, and a bunch of others all within a couple of hours. It's amazing up there (I used to live there. Now I'm stuck in the boondocks of the boondocks of the boondocks. Just outside of Nowhere.) :)

message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 65 comments I live in a community that has a lot of authors, actors, editors and on and on but not many of them write the books I want to read so it is cool the Deborah Cook is in town. OH and Kelley Armstrong lives about an hour away. Or so I'm told.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dream Thief (other topics)
Heart of Stone (other topics)
Pack Challenge (other topics)
Tea with the Black Dragon (other topics)
Twisting the Rope (other topics)
More...