South Shore Readers discussion

Your Favorite Reads of 2011

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica | 489 comments Mod
Let's all list the books we've read this year that we really loved. the book can be a brand new release or a classic that has been around for hundreds of years...or anything in between.

FYI-- if you want to add a link to the book so that others can easily click thru to read more about it you can click the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box to search for and add the book link.

Melissa | 76 comments hm. top two thus far:
1) veronika decides to die
2) full dark no stars

...its still early in the year, and i will update this list accordingly

I loved Veronika Decides to Die. I read it either last year or the year before. Its my favorite out of all the Paulo Coelho books that I've read.

I am a few years late on this one, but I just finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It is the first book in a trilogy and I will definitely be picking up the follow-up books. For those who haven't read it, it is a young adult dystopian novel...think Thunderdome + teen angst. ;)

Nancy (Nancy_M) | 39 comments Every Spring, I re-read The North American Bird Guide so I know what's hanging out around here and at the Blue Hills.

Earlier this year I got this one which has become one of the most treasured books that I own - Rumi: The Big Red Book: The Great Masterpiece Celebrating Mystical Love and Friendship.

Joanie | 219 comments Mod
I LOVED The Hunger Games!! Book two, Catching Fire was awesome too. The 3rd one, Mockingjay was the weakest of the three in my opinion, but still entertaining.

Some of my favorites so far from this year:

The Likeness and Faithful Place both by Tana French. I liked In the Woods but felt like the two follow ups were even stronger.

I also really liked Columbine by Dave Cullen

I'll add our April selection A Visit from the Goon Squad to my list of favorite reads of 2011. :)

Jackie | 53 comments I agree with Joanie. Catching Fire is fantastic, and the final book was my least favorite but obviously necessary to read. I love the Hunger Games, and just finished reading the books myself.

I really enjoyed The Book Thief and Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood this spring.

I started listening to the Catching Fire audio book yesterday.

I also loved Room by Emma Donoghue, which I read last month.

Megan Roman (mkateroman) | 4 comments I never thought that I would enjoy Anne Rice (not a big fan of vampire books), but I recently tore through Interview With the Vampire & The Vampire Lestat. I loved them and am planning on reading more in the series after taking a break. :)

I'm currently reading Mildred Pierce & am almost halfway through and really enjoying it, even if I'd like to smack the main character every now and then. ;)

My favorite 2011 read, however, is Never Let Me Go. That instantly went onto my all-time favorites list, as well.

I loved Never Let Me Go. I haven't seen the movie version yet...but I suspect like most movies, I won't enjoy it as much as the book.

Megan Roman (mkateroman) | 4 comments I loved the movie (Never Let Me Go), but you're correct... not nearly as good as the book. It's incredibly beautiful, though.

I keep meaning to add Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann to my list of favorite reads of 2011. Loved it!

I read Let the Great World Spin last year and really enjoyed it as well.

Scott Gillespie (ScottG) Well, as of today my favorite 2011 reads are:

Half Broke Horses (2009) – Jeannette Walls
Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day (1938) – Winifred Watson
About A Boy (1998) – Nick Hornby
Babbitt (1922) - Sinclair Lewis
Bel Canto (2001) - Ann Patchett

I forgot to add this one but I read it a couple of months ago and it was really good. (available as an audio download from Overdrive!!)

Columbine by Dave Cullen (which Joanie mentioned in this topic back in April)

David (DavidDiller) | 1 comments Columbine was great. Never Let Me Go, Stern Men. The Swimming Pool (which takes place on Cape Cod) and That Old Cape Magic were both really good, too.

I started out by listening to Columbine too but then got so sucked in I got the book from the library so I could read when I wasn't in the car. It was really well done and readable but totally disturbing too.

Melissa | 76 comments i keep meaning to read "never let me go." thanks for reminding me i should pick it up again!