Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil discussion

question

Comments (showing 1-31)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

Cateline Laurie wrote: "awful book - bored me to tears - could not finish it"

Well, granted I kept picking it up and putting it down, but I had to see what happened to Williams. But wading through all of the repetitive descriptions of various inhabitants was almost the end of me.

Kimberly wrote: "This book was outstanding. I couldn't put it down! And after reading it, I wanted to go to Louisiana."

Savannah is in Georgia, not Louisiana. :)

Sueij Does anyone have this book nearby? I want to make a bookmark with a quote from it, and need to know (if possible) the color of the chair and rug. Thanks!

(PS. The quote is "'Which party would you like to be invited to?' 'The one,' I said, 'least likely to involve gunfire.'")

LaRhonda Simmons I loved this book. I thought it was very entertaining. I read it in 2 days. And the movie didn't do the book justice.

message 28: by Bridget (new) - added it

Bridget I'm with you.

Jaime Jeffrey This is on my list of favorite books. Maybe u have to b Southern to understand it. The movie wasn't even half as good as the book. Like I said, 1 of my favorites.

Tyler The back-stories of all those involved are set up in the first few chapters so you have to kind of recognize that or it does seem a bit meandering but about halfway through all the storylines merge beautifully. The movie was awful. Directed by Clint Eastwood, which is surprising.

Nicole Otting This book was hard to get into. I put it down and figured I'd never pick it up again...however, a few months later our family took a trip to Savannah and we took a tour past the house mentioned in the book, went to the garden etc. Once I saw some parts in person, the book was good! You could also try watching the movie! It's funny and makes it go much more smoothly.

message 24: by Kathy (new) - rated it 1 star

Kathy Well, maybe it's just me because I LOVED The Help and couldn't put it down but this Midnight book I put down in March and just can't get into for some reason. I haven't even gotten to the drag stuff yet.

Steve Chaput I read the book after seeing the film. Admit that there were bits in the book that were slow, but generally I found it entertaining. Certainly made me want to one day take a trip to Savannah.

message 22: by Char (new) - rated it 3 stars

Char I have to admit I jumped through the parts when they were in court and all through the trial. I just found those parts dragged. I over all enjoyed the book but it had it's sleepy moments.

Laurie Jameson awful book - bored me to tears - could not finish it

Kimberly Hicks This book was outstanding. I couldn't put it down! And after reading it, I wanted to go to Louisiana.

Robin It is a good book. I could envision all the characters in my mind. Jon Cusack didn't come to mind as the main character, though. Nice melodramatic work.

message 18: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Kathy wrote: "Picked it up AGAIN and AGAIN put it down for more interesting books. When does this book EVER pick up?"

It's not a page-turner, but it does a nice job of drawing quirky characters--made me want to visit Savannah. And when I did, it was just as he had written it.

Gharden I too loved this book - As I read all the comments,it never ceases to amaze me how different people are in terms of their taste in books.

message 16: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy I just loved this book. I felt it captured the atmosphere of Savannah beautifully. I also saw the movie. It was entertaining, but the book is so much better.

Robin I liked the book, did not see the movie.

Diane One of my top ten favorite books!

Janet Jones Sonia wrote: "Beth wrote: "never

I bought this book when it first came out years ago. I, like you, picked it up and put it down. It was a stinker.

Ever since attempting to read this, I've been suspicious of be..."

I listened to it on tape going to work and couldn't stop until it was finished. Maybe listening to it would help you get into it more easily.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Glenda, that book brought memories of my time in Savannah. It is one of my most favorite cities and would love to visit again. Yes, it is gorgeous and yes the book did bring it home. Loved it.

Glenda Ricord This is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time. This book brought Savannah, GA into my home and made it a goal of mine to visit.

The movie starred Kevin Spacey and John Cusack. I thought it was good, but of course, not as good as the book.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 15, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

Beth wrote: "never

I bought this book when it first came out years ago. I, like you, picked it up and put it down. It was a stinker.

Ever since attempting to read this, I've been suspicious of bestseller ..."

Bestseller lists are bought. I thought everyone knew that. Hard to digest but true. I can be on a bestseller list if I had the money. My budget does not allow for it. :)

Judith Sandy wrote: "It was made into a movie featuring John Cusack, wasn't it? I have not read it, but loved the movie. Funny, huh?"

I don't remember Cusack in it, but I do remember Kevin Spacey...I assume there was only one movie. Oh yes, Clint Eastwood directed it....the only one he has ever done that I did not like!

message 8: by Amara (new)

Amara Pierce It was made into a movie featuring John Cusack, wasn't it? I have not read it, but loved the movie. Funny, huh?

Judith Loved the book, hated the movie!

Judy I listened to the audio version which was entertaining, although it did drag (no pun intended) in places. I probably wouldn't have finished it if I were reading either.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This book was hard to get through for sure, but not unrewarding. I loved the descriptions of Savannah and the people who live there.

stormhawk YMMV, obviously.

I loved this book, thought it was entertaining and quirky.

Sherry It was wonderful as an audiobook. Maybe you can try it that way.

Beth never

Ever since attempting to read this, I've been suspicious of bestseller lists.

Kathy Picked it up AGAIN and AGAIN put it down for more interesting books. When does this book EVER pick up?

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story (other topics)