J.D. Robb discussion

Character Discussions > Lt Don Webster

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments As a member of Internal Affairs, Don just can't get any respect. As a former lover of Eve, he gets himself in hot water with Roarke. But he finally gets a love interest in Treachery in Death. Perhaps things are looking up.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments heh. webster makes me laugh

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 9094 comments Mod
****SPOILER ALERT****

The fight between Roarke and Webster is one for the series "best of" moments. What was Webster thinking? Whatever he was, it laid the groundwork for some very interesting scenes between him and Roarke.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Jonetta wrote: "****SPOILER ALERT****

The fight between Roarke and Webster is one for the series "best of" moments. What was Webster thinking? Whatever he was, it laid the groundwork for some very interesting sc..."

haha! i like how Roarke has respect for him afterwards, though

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yeah, after Webster went and talked to him at his office (?) and admits he's got a thing for Eve? And then in a later book, Roarke mentions that Webster has great taste in women... ;) Awesome!

message 6: by Timberley (new)

Timberley | 2 comments Which book is the fight in again? I don't remember which book it is in and I can't find it. HELP!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments good times :)

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) That fight spawned my ALL-TIME FAVORITE In Death scene, (view spoiler)

I don't really have a lot to comment on about Webster, not a secondary character that stands out to me. However, I do like the storyline he was given in Treachery in Death. Hopefully this will bring him into the forefront a little more.

message 10: by Karon (new)

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Alyssa (Hesperia) wrote: "That fight spawned my ALL-TIME FAVORITE In Death scene

It is one of my favorite's too...but the scene disturbed me slightly too. You definitely find out how possessive Roarke is regarding his Darling Eve. I haven't seen such aggressive behavior since earlier in the series where Roarke is influenced by music and catches Eve by surprise in a closet. All in all, I think they BOTH got the message loud and clear...lol.

message 11: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 13, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yeah, I think about that closet scene, too, sometimes.... That was Rapture in Death, right? I LOVE the end of that book. I think it's still my favorite ending so far (and I'm on Promises in Death...)

You know, it's funny, because we see how Eve reacts to Roarke's old lovers all the time. (I can't remember which it was, but I love the time when one of them is talking to her, and she's like "You were one of MANY..." and then she fingers her wedding ring and is like, "I'm the ONLY.") ....

... But this was the first time Roarke ever encountered one of Eve's... (Errr... "lover" seems too strong a word)... A guy Eve had slept with. And for him to come into Roarke and Eve's home and make a move on her THERE? That's not cool. (view spoiler) But Roarke is DEFINITELY possessive. He says/thinks "MINE!" almost as much as the seagulls in Finding Nemo. Okay, not really...

message 12: by Karon (new)

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments I just finished the book that had that scene in it! It's in Imitation in Death...the old lover was Pepper Franklin :) Funny, how as I think about this, Eve can be just as possessive, can't she!? That was a GREAT scene! I was like "Yeah you GO girl!"

LOL on the Finding Nemo thing! I will never again watch that movie without thinking of that...too funny!

message 13: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 13, 2011 02:45PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments That was exactly my reaction: "You GO girl!" But at the same time, her possessiveness isn't as... fierce... as Roarke's is. I think if it was, she'd be bothered more by Peabody's innuendos about him and stuff, you know? Well... Okay, now that I think about it, I changed my mind. I think she's every bit as POSSESSIVE as Roarke.

I'm thinking more of JEALOUS. But then, was Roarke acting out of JEALOUSY about Webster, or was he just super-pissed? (view spoiler) So yeah. I'm trying to think of times when either acted JEALOUS over another person... Thoughts?

But possessiveness? They've both got that in spades. I like all the conversations Eve and Roarke have (usually case-related, where Eve is trying to get into someone's head) that go like, "If you cheated on me, no one would ever find the body, so ["X" action a suspect took] just doesn't play for me..." and Roarke's usually sitting there going, "Well.... good thing I have zero intention of every thinking about thinking about cheating on you..." Haha!

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I think you're right Sara...it's not JEALOUSY because that implies lack of trust. It's more about POSSESSIVENESS, the need to stake the claim for others to know who they each belong to. Almost like they are marking the other as their territory and setting a boundary that no one should ever dare cross.

message 15: by Karon (new)

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Yeah I vote for possessiveness over jealousy. Eve is confident and doesn't let jealousy reach the surface. As the series continues she is growing more and more secure in their relationship and feeling less of the previous insecurities. It's been awhile since I've heard (yes I'm an audio junkie) her say "I just don't know how to do this!" or "I'm not very good at this!" in reference to marriage. She seems to have it under control pretty good now that I'm at Remember When :)

message 16: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yeah, I think she's kind of replaced "I just don't know how to do this!" with "marriage rules"... (I'm at Promises now...) I think that's helped her to feel more confident. Nowadays, she's just like, "Why are there so many times you have to buy people presents?"

message 17: by Karon (new)

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments And she shouldn't even care, right? She's married to a man who owns more than 1/2 the world...or so she always says.

message 18: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments More than half the world and its satellites... ;) It frustrates her every time she has to go shopping, because she never knows what to get people... And then Peabody is always like, "YOU SHOPPED!" And Eve's like, "No I didn't! I just... picked something up..."

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments I didn't shop I just...found this... Haha. I love her and Peabodys dynamics

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ (sandrahoover) | 7252 comments Mod
Since we are buddy reading Conspiracy right now, I just had to check out Webster's thread!! Love his introduction in Conspiracy and I really like his concern for Eve! Great stuff!

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Byrne | 2 comments Can anyone tell me please what book was roark drugged and force himself on eve at a party.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

That would be Rapture in Death.
Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

FYI, use this discussion thread for any questions you have related to the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Byrne | 2 comments Ok sorry it was my first time on this sight .. So just hit the hourglass and start typing right?

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

Not sure what you mean about the hourglass...:) Just click on the link I posted.

No problem! Just wanted to give you the best place to pose questions about the series. Your question could get buried here.

Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!" (kmcripn) | 1902 comments Jonetta wrote: "That would be Rapture in Death.
Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) by J.D. Robb"

He wasn't drugged. It was that technology thing... same result but not drugs.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Treachery in Death (other topics)
Judgment in Death (other topics)
Rapture in Death (other topics)
Promises in Death (other topics)
More...