Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Fun 'n Games > Cringe-Worthy Romance Terms

Comments (showing 1-50 of 493) (493 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) This topic on the Amazon romance forums has always stuck with me because it's pretty hilarious when women get together and start comparing notes about things they do and do not like in romance novels. It's pretty amazing what some authors decide to put into their books.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/romance/for...

What romance/sexual terms have made you cringe, say ewwww, or simply laugh out loud at?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) One that always drives me a little batty is the term "suckled." It literally brings to mind the image of a suckling pig.

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments I think yeah breast feeding for that not what the author is trying to get at

message 4: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn "His c**k twitched." Always gives me a vision of a penis with tourettes.

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments hahahaha wow....

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I also can't stand when someone's scent is referred to as "musky." There is nothing sexy about this term, even if it's true.

message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments calling sweat another name doesn't pretty it up

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) It's also used to describe female juices. Juices is probably cringe worthy but I'm not writing a sex scene atm...

message 9: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Also, who gets off on a man who stinks of BO?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Oh, but he has such a "male" scent! Right??? At least that's what the books keep trying to tell me.

message 11: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments haha i had not seen female juices, but i dont' think i'll be able to look at juicy juice the same again, hahaha i have no idea who likes man scent, it's called a shower! stop trying to give men an excuse to not shower!

message 12: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Well, every human has their own scent. That's what search dogs follow. But when they talk about how the sweat turns her on, it grosses me out. Let the poor boy have a shower, girl!

message 13: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments haha excatly!

message 14: by Leea (new)

Leea Musky sent... Yuck!! What about when the guy finishes :) and he just keeps coming and coming and coming... like a darn river. Gross!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I think that happened in one of the BDB books if I remember correctly and I was perplexed at how this happens. Usually it happens and the guy is done. I'm not sure if coming over and over is even possible for a guy. Maybe for some rare person out there.

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments i swear i dont live off tv and movies but i remember in alex and emma it was heaving bosoms

message 17: by Leea (new)

Leea Stacia ~ Gadget Girl (bionic parts included) wrote: "I think that happened in one of the BDB books if I remember correctly and I was perplexed at how this happens. Usually it happens and the guy is done. I'm not sure if coming over and over is even..."

It's more the amount of *liquid* to "fill her womb" yuck!

message 18: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments that sounds just lovely

message 19: by Leea (new)

Leea Which part Ottilie? :)

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments haha sorry my saracsim is seeping through

message 21: by Leea (new)

Leea I thought you were being sarcastic but it's hard to tell with the typed word. LOL!!

message 22: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments hahaha I know what you mean! Trust me in that factor, it is purely saracasim

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments My cringe worthy words:
1.Weep (lol...eww so gross) when a woman's *ahem* is weeping for him...so gross

2. Sipping, when the guy is sipping from her?! No thank you

3. Whenever an author refers to a womans nipples as rosebuds, and worse yet BERRIES! (LMBO....I hate when they call them berries!!)

And if my memory serves me correctly....isn't it Rhage and his book where he just keeps going and going and going?? I could be wrong though...but he was the first person I thought of when I read your above comments

message 24: by Jessica (last edited Mar 25, 2011 06:19PM) (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Oh and yes I agree with you girls...the "musky" scent is extra gross for me too!! And when the author describes their scent as the rain or ocean?? Makes me think of fishy wormy smells

message 25: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments Um I've never seeing sipping in that context before?!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Ottilie wrote: "Um I've never seeing sipping in that context before?!"

Lora Leigh is famous for it! LOL....I still love her though!

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments and the weeping...she uses that quite a bit too!

message 28: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Ah, yes, the weeping. Erotica writers love to write about how much fluid is leaving a woman's body, frequently commenting on it running down her leg. Seriously?? since when is vaginal dribbling sexy?

message 29: by Leea (new)

Leea LOL... running down her leg... She must have had the guy who came and came and came...Ha!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) That's what I always think. Who is flowing that much that it's running down their leg? The only time that's ever happened to me has been when the guy has contributed to some of that mess.

Is that TMI? I guess not for this particular topic.

message 31: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments Like a river Leea! Haha yeah stacia with thsi topic I think you are fine

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments I just finished reading Rees (Tales of the Shareem, #1) by Allyson James and I've just thought of another word that *kind of* makes me cringe when reading it.

CREAM!

message 33: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments hahaha yes! I agree it's a little common one that is just like whhhhhyyy

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. HAHAHAHAHA! This topic is hilarious!

The running down the leg only bothers me when the woman is not even having sex and gets so excited that it starts 'weeping.' I mean c'mon!

message 35: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Stacia ~ Gadget Girl (bionic parts included) wrote: "I think that happened in one of the BDB books if I remember correctly and I was perplexed at how this happens. Usually it happens and the guy is done. I'm not sure if coming over and over is even..."

It happened to Z, but I thought that in his case, he was backlogged, LOL!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments YES D.G. it was Z!!! HAHAHA now I remember the scene!! It def. was not Rhage!

message 37: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (CJArcher) | 95 comments This topic is making me laugh so hard! If only more authors came on here and learned what NOT to write, lol.

message 38: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments hahaha a *hard* lesson, they might not respond well

message 39: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Archer (CJArcher) | 95 comments Ottilie wrote: "hahaha a *hard* lesson, they might not respond well"

Bada-bing.

message 40: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments hahaha i couldn't help it

message 41: by D.G. (new)

D.G. C.J. wrote: "This topic is making me laugh so hard! If only more authors came on here and learned what NOT to write, lol."

I think most authors would just continue doing what they're doing because you really can't please everybody. :) It must be really difficult to describe a sex scene so it's hot but not purple prose or cringe worthy.

message 42: by Leea (new)

Leea "he made a cradle of her loins" Loins... really? Yuck!

message 43: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 436 comments memo to self don't read this thread while eating, nearly choked from laughing at loins

message 44: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I think that the 'fur covered balls' should be mentioned in this thread... because, um, ew!

Also, my personal fave from BDB, which I'm sure I've mentioned before... I believe it was Rhage(?) was described as 'lollipopping' Mary! I swear! Talk about a deal BREAKER!

message 45: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Wendy F wrote: "I think that the 'fur covered balls' should be mentioned in this thread... because, um, ew!

Also, my personal fave from BDB, which I'm sure I've mentioned before... I believe it was Rhage(?) was..."

Lollipopping??? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't remember that!

Yikes on the fur covered balls!

message 46: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Loins is actually a pretty common one in historicals...

message 47: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I've seen Loins quite often too. It was how he made 'a cradle of her loins' that got to me... it sounds so... Jeffery Dahmer!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I do think it's harder to find appropriate terms for historicals. A lot of today's lingo won't always work. Although, really Gabaldon...honeypot?

In contemporary romance and erotica, there's really no excuse for using words like sheath though.

I have an easier time with modern male terms like d*ck, c*ck, etc. than I do with words like p*ssy, which just sounds weird to me. (I have no idea why I'm taking out the vowels, since the words are still readable. Force of habit, I guess). I actually like the use of the word f*ck in sex play. It goes with my love of all things primal.

Another term that isn't necessarily a bad one, but bothers me is folds. It makes me think the person has fat rolls down there.

message 49: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) D.G. ~The Devil's Harlot~ wrote: "Lollipopping??? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't remember that!

You'll notice it next time now! Haha, it's awful. You're reading this sexy hot moment and then you hit that word and the breaks come on with a screech!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Well yeah, but this is the woman who came up with the term "twin weights."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rees (other topics)
Island Heat (other topics)
Black Dagger Brotherhood: Boxed Set #1-6 (other topics)
Lover Revealed (other topics)
River Marked (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lissa Matthews (other topics)