J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > What Format Do You Prefer?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I was just wondering what type of format people prefer to read/listen. If you are a collector, do you have all or several of the formats, or just one?

I collect this series. My favorite format is the mp3 because I love the audio books the best. But I also have almost all the paperbacks and some of the hardbacks. The last time I looked, most of the early hardbacks were hard to find or too expensive. I have a few of the later ones, probably from Visions in Death on. I prefer the hardbacks, so hope one day after I have all the audios, I can complete the set with hardbacks and get rid of the paperbacks. For me, the hardbacks are easier to read and I don't have to worry about ruining the spine, etc.

I don't have an e-reader yet. I originally didn't want one because I love the feel of a book in my hand. I'm starting to crave one, though. I may get one for my birthday or Mother's Day; I keep dropping hints. I'm still not sure if I'll like it, but my love for techno stuff seems to be growing lately.

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 4707 comments Mod
I have the entire series in e-book format since I started and finished last year. One big reason why this works best for me is the highlighting/bookmarking feature. I'm able to revisit my favorite sections as often as I like, especially some of the best quotes. I was also able to put the entire library on my iPad as well.

Ironically, I recently found a paperback version of Naked in Death that someone had given me years ago that languished on my kitchen shelf. Never opened.

message 3: by Alyssa (last edited Mar 26, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments I have all of the books in e-book format & aubiobook (MP3 & M4B) format. I am slowly but surely trying to collect them all in Hardback as well but that is VERY hard. I have found Naked & Glory but other than that only the newer ones.

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments Paperback all the way!!!!!

Zaanodes | 38 comments Eyesight, carpel tunnel, and arthritis: ereader
Enjoyment: print (paperback over hardback only because of weight)

Damn, I am getting old!

Sherdnerd | 6 comments I bought a Kindle just before Thanksgiving and am in the process of switching over to ebooks - but I do have to say I get most of my books from the library. I, too, like the feel of a book in my hand so I've decided to collect just those I really, really want. I also have the audio version of about half of the In Death series plus a couple of other books - I like to listen to the books at the gym.

Tina | 46 comments I have all the books in paper and audiobook. I still have the original covers of the first 10 or so books. I like them they are kinda funky. Nowadays I get the books on audio when they are first released and then I buy the paper version when they come out. I don't get them in hardcover because they mess up the synergy of my bookshelf for the series. Since the first, what, 20? Books are paper I decided to keep the whole series in paper.

Seresa (PardoTeach) | 21 comments I have 35 ebook on my Kindle and all but 2 audio . .I love the audio when I'm exercising or in my car.

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments If I ever get an ebook, I'll probably keep them all on there and then get rid of the paperbacks. I'll keep the harbacks, though, although some are hard to get. And I will never let go of the audios. I prefer those in MP3.

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments Vanessa wrote: "If I ever get an ebook, I'll probably keep them all on there and then get rid of the paperbacks. I'll keep the harbacks, though, although some are hard to get. And I will never let go of the audios..."

I'll never give up my hardbacks either :) The only reason that I prefer the .m4b format is because I have an iPod and if I were to load a book on it as an MP3 it would mix it in with my music. Then my OCD would kick in because it wouldn't be in the audiobook section - do you see what kind of trouble that would cause, lol? I always keep the MP3 version when I convert just in case I ever need it. Oy vey the things my OCD causes me to do!

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Alyssa,

You have OCD, I have ADD. I totally get what you're saying. I know what you mean about shuffling in. I put any audio book on it, and the shuffling drives me crazy. I had to create an All Songs playlist so that wouldn't happen. It sort of works out, but it's a pain. I don't have an IPOD and I don't really have any experience with the MP4. It's great to have a techi friend, you learn so much.

Tina | 46 comments Alyssa (Hesperia) wrote: "The only reason that I prefer the .m4b format is because I have an iPod and if I were to load a book on it as an MP3 it would mix it in with my music. Then my OCD would kick in because it wouldn't be in the audiobook section "

Ooh, making MP3s sort into the audiobooks section of the iPods is really easy. Simply select the mp3 files that are audiobooks --> right click ---> a dialogue box comes up, select 'Get Info' ---> Click on the 'Options' tab ---> on the 'Media Type' line select 'Audiobook' and Blammo, those MP3s are now treated like Audiobooks.

The only downside is they don't do the cool little 'Resume' thing like mb4s do. But they do keep your place.

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments Tina wrote: "Alyssa (Hesperia) wrote: "The only reason that I prefer the .m4b format is because I have an iPod and if I were to load a book on it as an MP3 it would mix it in with my music. Then my OCD would ki..."

Thanks Tina, I tried that at first but I found (since I have the nifty ChapterVerse program) that it's just as easy to create a m4b. I can tag it, obtain all metadata if needed & post a cover with it. Then it will also list it in the audiobook section.

Karon (agmommy) | 181 comments I prefer audio because that's really the only way I have "read" this series. But if I were to collect the real books, I'd certainly go the e-reader route. I figure for less than $300 I could get the whole series...haha. Someday :)

Lisa | 4 comments I have a life long love affair with actual books. And it's hard for me to let them go. I don't do well with audio books as I always seem to have a different voice in my head than the one I'm hearing. The e-readers could definitely be more convenient, but there's something about turning the pages that I love. Although at some point I'll probably end up getting an e-reader.

Stacey | 45 comments I have all the books in paper and audio. Since the first book published in hardcover I have hardcover and before that all paperback. I considered downloading all the books to my Kindle but decided against it. Maybe if I win the lottery one day I'll add the ebooks to my collection as well!!

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments Lisa wrote: "I have a life long love affair with actual books. And it's hard for me to let them go. I don't do well with audio books as I always seem to have a different voice in my head than the one I'm hear..."

thank you! haha glad someone understands. my dad actually got me an e reader like 3 years ago but i dont use it

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments not sure where to put this but i saw a commercial on USA for treachory in death and i got exited!

Karon (agmommy) | 181 comments I have posted comments on several of the books I have read so far. When someone posts a comment later and I visit the thread I am having a hard time remembering what happened in those books that I have "read." I listen to audio mp3 and wonder if maybe I'd retain the stories better if I read them in hard copy or e-reader format? Maybe it's just because there are sooo many of the books and so much happens that I forget? I seriously love this series and I am just always hungry for what happens next!

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Karon,

I have the same problem, even with the audio books. I also have either the hardback or paperback for each book so I can reference something easier. Alyssa said something about having some kind of search feature in one of her techie toys. Alyssa, could you remind me where you have that? Is it on your Kindle?

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments It is on my Kindle, however, most e-readers have that feature. The only hang-up is you can only search a particular book, so you have to at least have it narrowed down to that. Once you do you can search a phrase or key words.

Karon, I have the same problem. I remember certain scenes but cannot for the life of me remember the books they are associated with. That's when I go to the In Death site.

Karon (agmommy) | 181 comments I'm so tempted to start collecting all of them for my PDN e-reader but I've been reading other books on it lately and listening to the J.D. Robb series on audio at times I can't sit and read (driving, doing the dishes & laundry, etc.). Mine has the highlight feature also, but I've never used it. I'm sure I would with this series!

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments what is the highlight feature?

Rebecca (missrebecca) | 7 comments I have pretty much all of them in paperback, the only one's I don't have are divided and memory :)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments i have the two newest in paperback but i want them in paperback!

Zaanodes | 38 comments Elizabeth wrote: "what is the highlight feature?"

On Kindle (which is what I have), you can scroll down and initiate the 'Highlight' feature. You select how much of the text to include in the highlight. This sort of bookmarks the text. All of the highlights that everyone marked are available for viewing as you are reading the book or when you go to Amazon and pull up that book. People use this for their favorite quotes, sayings, etc.

Go to Amazon, search for a book you have, go to the Kindle version, and scroll to the bottom of the web page on the left-hand side below the reviews, above the Tags. If anyone has highlighted anything in that book, it will be displayed.

I checked Naked in Death and it has 10 highlights.

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments Zaanodes wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "what is the highlight feature?"

On Kindle (which is what I have), you can scroll down and initiate the 'Highlight' feature. You select how much of the text to include in the high..."

oh! thats so cool!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 962 comments I have them all on mp3 CD (LOVE Susan Ericksen!), but it's really hard to "turn" to your favorite parts in this format, so when my husband gets a real job in a year (he's doing a post-grad internship starting in June), I think I'll buy my favorites in paperback...

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I sure wish I could find some of the earlier hardbacks, sigh...

Stacey | 45 comments The earlier books were only released as paperpack...

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 962 comments Oh.... Well that's annoying! Well, I guess if I buy the paperbacks, I'll feel less bad about marking my favorite spots in them!

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments Stacey wrote: "The earlier books were only released as paperpack..."

Originally they were released on in paperback, however, they have been re-released in hardcover. They are not that easy to find though. I scour Ebay almost daily looking for them, lol.

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments when is Indulgence coming out in paperback?

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Elizabeth wrote: "when is Indulgence coming out in paperback?"

According to Amazon, it's already out.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 962 comments I'm reading... errr... listening to it right now...! I'm about halfway through...

Karon (agmommy) | 181 comments Are all of the latest ones out on audio? How quick do they release them in that format? I have a feeling when a book is released it will be really hard waiting for the audio to come out too!

message 37: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 25, 2011 04:37PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 962 comments I've got all of them in audio. I think when they're widely listened to, they get them out ASAP. Let me check....

Indulgence in Death - Hardcover Nov 2, 2010
Indulgence in Death - MP3-CD Nov 2, 2010

Same day! Impressive! (Which makes me want to be Susan Ericksen, because that means she gets to read the book WAY early!)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments Audio typically releases the same day as the hardcover, at least that's the case for the In Death series. The paperback will then release 6 months later.

Karon (agmommy) | 181 comments OK so so so glad to hear that! Whether or not our state library will have it though is another story. Might have to "read" those first.

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments For the library if you want to get to any new book, you have to really put it on hold in advance or you'll be waiting forever. With this series, I could never wait that long. I get an audio for every new book that comes out, and have almost completed my audio for the rest of the series. I don't know how long it will take me to stop listening to them, probably never.

Stacey | 45 comments Vanessa wrote: "For the library if you want to get to any new book, you have to really put it on hold in advance or you'll be waiting forever. With this series, I could never wait that long. I get an audio for eve..."

I'm of the same mind. I just keep listening over & over... I can't get enough of these books!

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 569 comments Yay! It's out and now I just have to get it lOl

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments Vanessa wrote: "For the library if you want to get to any new book, you have to really put it on hold in advance or you'll be waiting forever. With this series, I could never wait that long. I get an audio for eve..."

I'm with you, I don't think I'll ever stop listening to them.

Melissa Perez (melissapi) | 8 comments Hi Everyone!! Well, as I mentioned sometime ago, I started listening to the In Death series in order and now I am on book 15, Seduction In Death. I must say, what a difference in the voices. I was so used to the voices that the narrator, Susan Ericksen, created for the characters in books 1-14 that listening to 15 through me for a loop. But thank God Vanessa pointed out in one of the forums from last year that Book 15, Seduction in Death and Book 16, Reunion in Death were the first books that Susan Ericksen narrated for the In Death series. Really wish those 2 books can be rerecorded. :(

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Maybe someday Melissa, I'm right with you there. I'm sorry I bought them because I hope they do get re-recorded. It's just not the same.

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) | 272 comments Definitely not the same at all:(

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1001 comments I've got most of the books on both audion(CD) and in paperback. When I am driving or doing the mindless tasks of housekeeping I keep myself occupied with the audio. Then when I want to relax I sit down and read the book. The book is also good when I want to refer back to some point.

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I keep the paperbacks to refer back to an item as well. I prefer the hardbacks, but you can't find a lot of the earlier ones.

Mari (MatiraWynter) | 2 comments I prefer the Kindle edition. I can read or listen to text to speech. I love it!

Melissa Perez (melissapi) | 8 comments "Hi All, in the early part of this year I started with Book 1, Naked in Death and talk about addicted!! I am now on Book 30, Creation In Death! The aud...moreHi All, in the early part of this year I started with Book 1, Naked in Death and talk about addicted!! I am now on Book 30, Creation In Death! The audiobooks just brings the characters to life. Love it! Hope everyone is enjoying the In Death series as much as I am :) By the way, my profile pic is my version of "Roarke", lol.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Naked in Death (other topics)
Indulgence in Death (other topics)
Indulgence in Death (other topics)
New York to Dallas (other topics)