SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

March Discussions > A Canticle for Leibowitz - I was posting about the book in another group, and it hit me ... (**SPOILERS**)

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

stormhawk | 75 comments So, you know where that Monk created the arc light, right? in the second section ... I didn't recognize the depth of the symbolism at first but, here goes ...

So Brother whomever (Kornhoer?) makes this arc lamp, and it gets hung up in a reading cubicle on the hook that was mean for the Cross, right? And so we have a representation of science overtaking the place of religion (which the implication is what got humanity into trouble to begin with leading to the First Flame Deluge). The lamp has to be tended constantly and adjusted, and by the time a novice become experienced in it's care and adjustment, he's blinded and ends up in the infirmary with cold compresses on his eyes, which leads me to understand that too much knowledge is a dangerous thing, and also that man should not play God, and so forth. A new novice is selected to tend the lamp and the cycle repeats itself ... just as the Second Flame Deluge leads to the creation of an Ark of religious and secular folk to head out into the stars, and have that whole cycle repeat itself ...

Donna (DonnaHR) | 341 comments Mod
I like it. I also saw it as the replacement of religion with science but I like how you took it farther.

unread topics | mark unread