What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Query Abandoned by Poster > Children's Book, Short Stories, Skin turns inside out

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 5 comments It was a childrens paperback from the late 80's, but most likely early 90's. All stories were strange like the kid on the swing set that goes so high that the kid goes all the way around and his skin turns inside out.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I know it doesn't really find the book, but I thought it was interesting :P

message 4: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 5 comments I actually kind of remember that, but i promise it was in a book of other strange short stories.

message 5: by Myles (last edited Jun 15, 2011 07:10AM) (new)

Myles | 34 comments A little later than what you're asking (1996) but your description reminded me of a story collection::

Mindquakes: Stories to Shatter Your Brain

Review from Pub. Weekly -

Paintings one can step into, a vengeful Christmas tree that pins Santa to the floor, a hot tub that is home to a hungry Loch Ness monster?these are some of the unlikely objects featured in Shusterman's candy-box-like collection of 10 mildly supernatural tales, a promising kickoff to the MindQuakes series. Shusterman's (Scorpion Shards) mastery of suspense and satirical wit make the ludicrous fathomable and entice readers into suspending their disbelief. He repeatedly interjects plausible and even poignant moments into otherwise bizarre scenarios. Accompanying his workaholic mason father on one of several eerie visits to his work sites, for example, the son of divorced parents muses that he only gets to see his dad on Sundays: "Instead of making time for me, he just squeezes me into what he's already doing, whether I fit or not." Notches above the many Twilight Zone knockoffs that have found their way into print, this all-too-brief anthology will snare even reluctant readers. Ages 10-up.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.

message 6: by Mara (new)

Mara (mlafontaine) | 1 comments I'm dying to find this book too! Anyone have any luck finding it, or remembering the title?

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (Pebblesy) | 6 comments Would it have been one of Paul Jennings' books? Like unreal or unbearable? It sounds really familiar and his style.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, fighting off Sharia law (new)

Lobstergirl | 9444 comments Mod
Lacey, are you still looking for this book? Was it anything mentioned in post 5 on?

message 9: by J. (new)

J. (Mamalaoshi) | 33 comments Ooooh, I remember reading this book (or at least one with that scenario in a short story) in elementary school, which was late eighties and early 90's. I wonder if someone can figure it out.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, fighting off Sharia law (new)

Lobstergirl | 9444 comments Mod
No response from Lacey, moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mindquakes: Stories To Shatter Your Brain (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paul Jennings (other topics)