The Next Best Book Club discussion

Diane's AtWi 80 books Challenge > The Three Frequent Flyers

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sanja_plus2 (last edited Sep 16, 2011 03:02PM) (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments Hello everybody :)

My name is Sanja [sanya] and I'm from Serbia, ilona introduced me to this idea. It is a great challenge, I really liked it and decided to do it together with my kids. They are both girls, 10&8 yo, and we now live in the US where they don't learn much about the world in school and they usually choose to read about dragons and vampires. So I thought this could definitely add to their education :)

We started from Canada, as my mistake in not reading the rules properly. And when my daughter's 5th grade teacher heard about our challenge, she brought us a book set in Guatemala, so this is next. We decided to read a book from every region, different country every time so we will go in circles of 8 :)

Here's our map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&...

A-Z
A
B - Brazil
C - Canada, Cuba
D
E
F
G - Guatemala
H - Hawaii
I
J
K - Kenya
L
M - Mongolia
N - New Zealand
O
P - Peru
Q
R
S - Sweden
T - Tunisia
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 3: by sanja_plus2 (last edited Apr 07, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments For my first book, I got the idea from your suggestions - Unless, Carol Shields and I love it so far, so thanks :)

***edit: turns out I didn't like it. I read Natasha by David Bezmozgis instead.

For the kids, I just searched through the library catalogue and they chose these:
- Secret of the night ponies, Joan Hiatt Harlow
- No small thing, Natale Ghent

If some of you ever have an idea for a book that children could read, please share.

message 4: by Joseph (last edited Mar 19, 2011 06:00AM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 905 comments Sanja, I am thrilled to hear you are doing this with your daughters, I think it's a great idea. I think your girls might enjoy visiting the world through some of these titles:
South Africa- The White Giraffe
Ireland- Maura's Angel
Australia- Away With the Birds
Mozambique- A Girl Named Disaster
England- The White Witch
Panama- Rainy Season
China- North of Beautiful
New Zealand- Guardian of the Dead
Mexico- Blood Secret
Denmark- Number the Stars
Liberia- Beyond the Mango Tree

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments Welcome Sanja & daughters!

My kids are the exact same age as yours (except one is a boy) and I am VERY ashamed to admit that this has never occurred to me. Thanks for the inspiration! Now to convince them...

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 606 comments its a graphic novel, but for Iran - Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

for Japan - Heart of a Samurai or the series that starts with Across the Nightingale Floor (its supposed to be good, but I haven't gotten to it yet0

message 7: by Chad (new)

Chad Huckabaa | 2 comments Wow, that's a great idea. I wonder if I could convince my teens...

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tipescu there is a link on the Country Lists topic posted by Teresa - http://www.bibliotravel.com/
you can enter a country and it will give a list of books that have been added for that country, along with the genre. There is also a tab for genre's and you can pull up books for children. hope it helps and good luck with your challenge.

message 9: by sanja_plus2 (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments Thank you for all the great suggestions. I hope some of you will convince your kids too :) My older one already finished her book, but the younger one will need a little push :)

message 10: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments The magic tree house series by Mary Pope Osborne takes place in locations all over the world.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 457 comments They also do not need to adhere to the 100 page rule, since a lot of books for their age levels tend to be shorter than those of adults.

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) This site might be useful for you: http://www.travelforkids.com/

message 13: by sanja_plus2 (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments We are now in Guatemala with
Betrayed
Tree Girl
The Girl from Chimel

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

message 14: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (UberGek) This is such a great idea! I loved reading with my mom when I was a kid.

One of my favourite books from school was I Am David by Anne Holm. I takes place mostly in Italy. It is a wonderful story! I highly recommend it for you and your children.

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (UberGek) Also, for some British classics, The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett were also two that I loved when I was a little girl.

By the way, my husband lived in Serbia for 6 weeks a few years ago. He loved it! Would you have a good recipe for Burek? We've tried to make it a few times but it hasn't been as good as it was there. :)

message 16: by sanja_plus2 (last edited Apr 11, 2011 08:57PM) (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments Thank you for the recommendations :) The Secret Garden was my favorite when I was little, so nice to remember it :)

As for burek, I will send you a private message :)

The 2 older members are in Peru as of today. The youngest one is still in Canada :)))

message 17: by sanja_plus2 (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments We have visited New Zealand and Mongolia:

Potiki

River Song

The Secret History of the Mongol Queens

I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade
Sorghaghtani of Mongolia

We have also discovered the wonderful dvd series "Globe Trekker" and watched them back from the beginning in Canada.

Next is Kenya.

message 18: by Corinna (new)

Corinna (coekoemo) | 40 comments Great idea to include the kids. I just had a look at some of the books I read back in the days that may be suitable for the challenge:

Heidi - Switzerland
Pippi Longstocking (or really anything by Astrid Lindgren) - Sweden
The Little Prince - France

message 19: by LindaD (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 253 comments sanja_plus2 wrote: "We have visited New Zealand and Mongolia:

Potiki

River Song

The Secret History of the Mongol Queens

I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade
..."

this would be a great challenge for homeschooler families!

message 20: by sanja_plus2 (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments Kenya and Tunisia, and we're next in Sweden.

6. Kenya:
Bill Bryson's African Diary

Burn My Heart
Seeds of Change

7. Tunisia:
The Immoralist

Benny and Omar

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie (Connie_G) You're doing great! It's wonderful that you are getting your kids to love reading too.

message 22: by sanja_plus2 (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments We have finish our first round in Europe, and we started the second round from Hawaii.
8. Sweden:
Two Women: A Novel of Friendship

The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking

9. Hawaii:
Flirting with Forty

Legends of Hawaii
The Horse Charmer

Next is Cuba.

As time passes, we love this challenge more and more. It is going slowly, but we are really enjoying it a lot, sometimes not being able to restrict ourselves to one book and one film only. And I can see that some of their world views have already changed, they think more deeply about some everyday things. So, thanks again for this wonderful idea.

message 23: by sanja_plus2 (new)

sanja_plus2 | 12 comments Finished Cuba, off to Brazil

8. Cuba:
Take Me with You: A Memoir

Raining Sardines
My Havana: Memories of a Cuban Boyhood

I loved Take Me with You, my favorite on this list.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Secret of the Night Ponies (other topics)
No Small Thing (other topics)
Beyond the Mango Tree (other topics)
Guardian of the Dead (other topics)
Rainy Season (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Pope Osborne (other topics)
Anne Holm (other topics)
Frances Hodgson Burnett (other topics)