Classics and the Western Canon discussion

Discussion - Moby Dick > Reading Schedule

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 6257 comments Here is the reading schedule which Laurel has set out for our pleasure.

March 23 - 29 -- Through chapter 20
March 30 - April 5 - through chapter 40
April 6 - 12 - through chapter 66
April 13 - 19 - through chapter 86
April 20 - 26 - through chapter 108
April 27 - May 3 - through chapter 128
May 4 = 17 (2 weeks) - discussion of entire book

I will post the discussion topic for the first weeks' reading on the evening of the 22nd or morning of the 23rd.

Happy reading!

Victoria (vikz writes) (VixtoriaVikzwrites) | 181 comments for those interested in a audio version- you can find one at Libriovox http://librivox.org/moby-dick-by-herm.... Which edition will be you be reading?

message 3: by Bernadette (last edited Mar 18, 2011 06:21PM) (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments Oh I can't wait for the discussion. I started the book a little early (don't worry, no spoilers) because I have to fit it in before a book I'm going to read for my F2F book club. I can't believe I've never read this, it is so readable, and the writing is, thus far, beautiful.

Also, it will be helpful to reread the story of Jonah and the Whale before reading Moby-Dick or, The Whale

message 4: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 6257 comments Bernadette wrote: "Oh I can't wait for the discussion. I started the book a little early (don't worry, no spoilers) because I have to fit it in before a book I'm going to read for my F2F book club. I can't believe I'..."

I have started it also, but in my case because my eye condition makes me a much slower reader than I was in the past. But I agree, the writing is surprisingly beautiful, and indeed I will look forward to discussing that with you and others when the discussion starts.

message 5: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments Everyman wrote: "Bernadette wrote: "Oh I can't wait for the discussion. I started the book a little early (don't worry, no spoilers) because I have to fit it in before a book I'm going to read for my F2F book club...."

Just goes to show I shouldn't listen to what people say about books, most people that is...Based on "other people," I thought this was going to be terribly dry and difficult to read, and am finding it just the opposite...anybody on the fence should jump in and read with us next week!

message 6: by Galicius (last edited Mar 20, 2011 06:05AM) (new)

Galicius | 41 comments Vikz wrote: "for those interested in a audio version- you can find one at Libriovox http://librivox.org/moby-dick-by-herm.... Which edition will be you be reading?"

Librivox is an excellent resource especially for the working commuters among us with limited reading hours. You simply download a reading into your MP3 player--in this case MB is read in its entirety by a single reader--plug it into your car radio, or listen while walking, or follow the text while listening. I am using my old Harrison Hayford and Hershel Parker edition.

This edition includes 250+ pages of additional materials: textual notes, an essay on whaling with contemporary engravings, reviews and letters by Melville which include Hawthorne and Emerson, etchings of a whaling cruise, 28 critical essays, and bibliography.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 2071 comments Vikz wrote: Which edition will be you be reading?

I have the Easton Press Collectors Edition with an amazing introductory essay by Clifton Fadiman and illustrations by Boardman Robinson. Somehow the manly smell of leather seems right for Moby Dick. I am listening (for the second time in four months) to the Audible version narrated by Anthony Heald. The more I listen, the more I hear poetry. The cadences are marvelous.

message 8: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK LOL Laurele. I love the idea of the 'manly smell of leather' being right for Moby Dick, perhaps with a whiff of pipe smoke?:) What sort of cover would we choose for other books if we had a choice?

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill (BIll_B) | 250 comments Bernadette wrote: "
Also, it will be helpful to reread the story of Jonah and the Whale before reading Moby-Dick or, The Whale
..."

Or even have read the whole Bible. I'm on chapter 10 and have seen an abundance of biblical allusions from all parts of the Bible.

message 10: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments Bill wrote: "Bernadette wrote: "
..."

Or even have read the whole Bible. I'm on chapter 10 and have ..."

you're right Bill. I took a class in college called The Bible in Literature and I remember hearing a lot about Moby Dick...but I still didn't read the book.

message 11: by Adelle (new)

Adelle | 2529 comments I've been happily surprised at what an engaging read it's turned out to be. I hadn't expected that.

message 12: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 232 comments Another good work to read might be The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, to which there are also several allusions.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's a really handy resource my sister alerted me to:

http://www.powermobydick.com/

I wouldn't want to read an entire book this way, with all those highlighted links, but after missing so many allusions in the first couple of chapters, I found that looking them up on this site is easier than separately googling so many words and names.

I heartily agree with Bernadette about the value of reading the Jonah story in the Bible, and I intend to do that today. I sure wish I could say I've read the entire Bible so I could catch all the other Biblical references, as Bill mentions, but I never got past Deuteronomy, stopping right before Moses ... but wait, I don't want to post any Biblical spoilers, either!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

S. Rosemary wrote: "Another good work to read might be The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, to which there are also several allusions."

That's a great idea, too, and I've never read that.

message 15: by Adelle (new)

Adelle | 2529 comments M wrote: "Here's a really handy resource my sister alerted me to:

I wouldn't want to read an entire book this way, with all those highlighted links, but after missing so many ..."

Thank you! I was accumulating a good number of "g"s in
the margins that I was going to have to go back and google. I appreciate the link you provided.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason (com4) M wrote: "Here's a really handy resource my sister alerted me to:

I wouldn't want to read an entire book this way, with all those highlighted links, but after missing so many ..."

Thanks! This makes me all the more excited to read!

message 17: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 6257 comments Bill wrote: "Bernadette wrote: "Or even have read the whole Bible. I'm on chapter 10 and have seen an abundance of biblical allusions from all parts of the Bible. "

That's one reason (of many) that it will be so great to have Laurel as our moderator. In addition to being a literature scholar, she is a Bible expert (yes you are, no modesty her, Laurel) and will be able to point out the significant Biblical references and what they mean.

message 18: by Patrice (new)

Patrice | 5388 comments What a wonderful site M! Thank you.
As a native New Yorker I've learned the meaning of names I've heard all of my life!

message 19: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments Everyman wrote: "Bill wrote: "Bernadette wrote: "Or even have read the whole Bible. I'm on chapter 10 and have seen an abundance of biblical allusions from all parts of the Bible. "

That's one reason (of many) tha..."

Thanks for moderating Laurel!

message 20: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments Powermobydick.com has some great illustrations of the ship as well. My edition of the book has a nautical glossary in the back, but I know nothing about sailing, so the graphics help me with all the sailing lingo

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Bernadette wrote: "Powermobydick.com has some great illustrations of the ship as well."

Thanks! I hadn't looked through the "Resources" section yet. I like that first drawing of the ship -- I see it's from Classics Comics! I used to love those old Classics Comics.

message 22: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments M wrote: "Bernadette wrote: "Powermobydick.com has some great illustrations of the ship as well."

Thanks! I hadn't looked through the "Resources" section yet. I like that first drawing of the ship -- I see ..."

I love that! The website is really cool, did you see they even sell "free moby" t-shirts, and other MD memorabilia...Who knew Moby Dick was so cool? :)

message 23: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 232 comments *bouncing up and down waiting for the discussion to open*

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Where is Laurel?

message 25: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 2071 comments M wrote: "Where is Laurel?"

*raises hand*
Here! reading the MB discussion in awe of all of you in between doctor visits for the Aged P's and myself. I'll speak up soon, I promise.

message 26: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 6257 comments Laurele wrote: "M wrote: "Where is Laurel?"

*raises hand*
Here! reading the MB discussion in awe of all of you in between doctor visits for the Aged P's and myself. I'll speak up soon, I promise."

We're waiting eagerly, but it'll be worth the wait, I know. Hope the APs are doing as well as can be expected.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Great! Thanks for popping in to say Hi, Laurel. Along with Everyman I am eagerly waiting for your insights, but I can be patient! I just returned from a few days in Aged Parent Town myself, so I definitely understand. :-)

message 28: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments This is a great group, love the discussion of MD. Thanks for the invite Everyman. Laurele, I'm a dog person, but your cat is great! What a pose.

message 29: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 6257 comments Bernadette wrote: "This is a great group, love the discussion of MD. Thanks for the invite Everyman."

Delighted to have you here.

message 30: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 2071 comments Bernadette wrote: "This is a great group, love the discussion of MD. Thanks for the invite Everyman. Laurele, I'm a dog person, but your cat is great! What a pose."

That's Riley, Bernadette--named for the life he leads.

message 31: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (Bern51) | 32 comments Laurele wrote: "Bernadette wrote: "This is a great group, love the discussion of MD. Thanks for the invite Everyman. Laurele, I'm a dog person, but your cat is great! What a pose."

That's Riley, Bernadette--named..."

Oh that's perfect!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha! That should be the name of most house cats. :-D

message 33: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Mangis | 163 comments I've heard allusions to the life of Riley all my life--but who is Riley? What great piece of literature (?) have I missed?

message 34: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 2071 comments Gayle wrote: "I've heard allusions to the life of Riley all my life--but who is Riley? What great piece of literature (?) have I missed?"

"The Life of Riley" was an old-time radio show. I've only heard one episode, but I think Riley was a guy who charmed his way through the world, always managing to get what he wanted.

message 35: by Patrice (last edited Apr 06, 2011 08:55PM) (new)

Patrice | 5388 comments This got me curious so I looked the expression up. It means someone who lives a contented life on someone else's money. It became a popular expression in the l880's when John Whitcomb Riley's poetry was popular. I grew up watching the tv show with William Bendix. I remember he worked for a living but I guess he was supposed to be a contented man?

message 36: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Mangis | 163 comments Thanks Laurele and Patrice. I suppose I could have looked it up myself. But this gives me more time to catch up with my Moby Dick reading. Hope to join the discussion soon.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale (other topics)