Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Authors like Sarah Dessen?

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) (goasksarah) | 2 comments I absolutely LOVE Sarah Dessen, and sometimes I just have urges to read books like hers. Problem is, I've read ALL of her books. Any recommendations for authors like her? Adult or YA is fine :)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments I adore her writing too, I'll see if I can think of something

Brandi | 309 comments I also love Sarah Dessen! I haven't read any of her books yet so I can't say for certain, but I've heard Susane Colasanti is similiar.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments I am not a Dessen fan, but on yournextread.com Susane Colasanti and Elizabeth Scott books both came up in a search for books compared to Sarah Dessen.

Catie (nematome) Hey Sarah, this list that I just found appears to be a gold mine. Enjoy!

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/54...

Catie (nematome) Although I really question #62 - Push? Really? I'm not sure Sarah Dessen lovers would go for that.

Emily (emilyoverboard) Catie wrote: "Although I really question #62 - Push? Really? I'm not sure Sarah Dessen lovers would go for that."

Yeah, I'll go remove that (librarian status :D)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments I love how this list has stuff i read when I was younger and forgot about

Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) (goasksarah) | 2 comments Oh, thanks guys! Those lists are good :D And Jenny, I already have Anna and the French Kiss on my to read list XD

Laraine (Lala26) | 121 comments How about The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, loved this one! It's lyrical, poetic and Sarah Dessen-y? haha...

On another note, can't wait for Dessen's new book!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 7187 comments Good pick Laraine.

message 14: by C. (new)

C. Grace | 9 comments "My sister's keepere" -Jodie Picoult. MY fave book by Sarah Dessen is "Just Listen"

message 15: by C. (new)

C. Grace | 9 comments *keeper

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments This Lullaby was my favorite :)

Denise | 9 comments Ottilie wrote: "I love how this list has stuff i read when I was younger and forgot about"

Me too. One of those lists has some Joan Bauer books on it. I think I read Hope Was Here and Backwater about 20 times each back in junior high.

This Lullaby is my favorite by Dessen, too, followed closely by Along for the Ride. Can't wait for her next book!

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments I haven't been able to pick up Along for a Ride yet!! I was waiting for it to be paperback because my other copies of her stuff is paperback and I'm poor. It sounds iteresting so I can't wait, and yeah I'm curious about her new one, but it'll probably be a bit till I get to it...

Roshini | 243 comments My favourite is Just Listen.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments Haven't read that one either

Roshini | 243 comments Give it a try, it's pretty good. I might read Along for the Ride again:-)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments Haha okay I'll look into it!

Marie | 15 comments Sarah Dessen is also a huge favorite in my house. My daughters and I reread them all the time (I'm a YA author, so I've got YA's all over the house, but I'm very picky...) I suggest you try out The Summer I Turned Prettyand others by Jenny Han, and I think you'll also really love anything by John Green, including Looking for Alaska, Paper Townsand Will Grayson, Will Grayson. These are all smart, funny and you'll really get pulled in.

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Does anyone remember a YA author who wrote stand alone books that were tear jerker teen love stories? I'm guessing she would have been popular in the 90's, and she was similar to Sarah Dessen except that they were dramatics... so take Sarah Dessen and mix her with Nicholas Sparks, lol.

It's driving me CRAZY.

message 25: by Emily (last edited Mar 24, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

Emily (emilyoverboard) Wendy F wrote: "Does anyone remember a YA author who wrote stand alone books that were tear jerker teen love stories? I'm guessing she would have been popular in the 90's, and she was similar to Sarah Dessen exce..."

Hmmm. Sounds familiar. Do you remember any of her book titles?

message 26: by Wendy F (last edited Mar 24, 2011 12:26PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I found her! I didn't remember the book titles or her name, but wikipedia has a list of YA authors so I read each line.

Lurlene McDaniel! I only read one, Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDaniel, and I loved it. It does seem to be her most popular book... But then when I saw that her books all look the same I never read another one. It reminds me of how Anne's dad is described in Anna and the French Kiss, that he shamelessly used tragedy to sell books... anyway, it was driving me crazy and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on another copy of Don't Die, My Love.

Kayla (xrystaltearz) | 346 comments Lurlene McDaniel is one of my favorites. She has tons of books and I've read 3 of them. They're very good, but there are some that will make you cry. My two favorites by her are The Girl Death Left Behind by Lurlene McDaniel and Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep by Lurlene McDaniel

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I feel like I read another one, but the Don't Die, My Love is the one that stuck in my memory.

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Actually, the cover of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep looks familiar too. It was so long ago for me though, like 10th or 11th grade in high school. I'm 32 now, so its all fuzzy.

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments A Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDaniel she wrote I loved and read in aa couple of hours!

Kristina (KristinaLawhead) | 258 comments I just picked up Hit and Run by Lurlene McDaniel for 50 cents on my library shelf the other day and read it in a couple hours, I liked it! I don't know if I'd like her older ones, but this one was pretty good, I don't think it was quite as dramatic as some of her others

Brandi | 309 comments Her books are definitely tearjerkers, but I love Lurlene McDaniel!

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 475 comments I'll have to look at that one

Emily When I was younger, I read every Lurlene McDaniel book I could get my hands on. I loved her, and I'm pretty sure I still have all my copies of her books in a box somewhere at my parents. I might have to pull them out to reread them :)

Kierra Stevens | 1 comments Yea Same Problem I Read All Of Sarah Dessen And Colasanti Try Leaving Paradise And Return To Paradise !!

Sarah (crazy_books) | 1 comments How about Morgan Matson ?

Jessica Fontana | 3 comments Jennifer Echols
Huntley Fitzpatrick

Otessa | 10 comments Hi!

OMG Sarah Dessen is such a good storyteller. Because her writing is so infectious, I have found that it often influences some of my work. I'm currently holding a giveaway for one of my indie script books for my viral web series "Orange Juice in Bishop's Garden."

Here's the link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

And if you're interested in receiving any of the ebooks, please reach out.

Best wishes,
Otessa

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Anna and the French Kiss (other topics)
The Sky is Everywhere (other topics)
Looking for Alaska (other topics)
Will Grayson, Will Grayson (other topics)
Paper Towns (other topics)
More...