Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Movies and TV Series

Comments (showing 77-126)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 126: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments Wow. It's been some time since I last posted. I don't know if I remember everything I've seen.

Laura, did you end up watching Brave? I'd seen it and liked it. It was sweet and cute - a nice movie to watch for a mother with children, especially adolescent girls. :D I have a feeling that they might relate well to the main character.

My sister dragged me to see that new Resident Evil film. I avoid horror movies, and after seeing my sister play the Resident Evil arcade game, I was scarred for life. But she really wanted to watch it with someone so I agreed despite not having seen the previous movies. It was...okay. It wasn't as scary and gruesome as I thought it would be. It was kind of sad, I guess. The story was kind of eh....

I started watching the TV series "Once Upon a Time". It's kind of stupid but I kind of like it. Now I'm watching Season 2 on Hulu since Netflix doesn't have it yet.

I watched The Phantom of the Opera at Royal Albert Hall on Netflix. Sierra Boggess was Christine. I had seen her perform Ariel on the Broadway musical. I liked her there. However, I didn't care for the interpretation of Phantom of the Opera that this cast did. I also noticed significant changes in the lyrics for at least two songs. Not sure how I felt about that. At the end, we see the original cast come out as well as several of the previous Phantoms. They sang a couple of songs together. It was interesting to hear the different Phantoms sing.

I saw The Bourne Legacy because...um, mainly because of Jeremy Renner, whose character I really liked in The Avengers. :D But the movie itself was kind of...eh. It was the plot, mostly, that I had had fault with.

I just finished watching two episodes of the anime Canaan. I could definitely tell that it was created by men. -_-; It was confusing. I didn't quite understand the story. It was...boring.

The two movies I'm looking forward to now are Breaking Dawn Part 2 (kind of want to see young Reneesmee) and The Hobbit. How about you?

message 125: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Anyone seen Brave? I want to see it and was wondering how good it is.

message 124: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments I was wondering about the new Spiderman. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it as I didn't really like the other Spidermans very much. I guess he is my least favorite superhero.

message 123: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments Saw Spiderman today. First part was boring. Second part was exciting. I give it a 3/5 stars.

message 122: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments I saw Magic Mike today. It was pretty entertaining - funnier than you'd think. Yay sexy half-naked gyrating men. I've never thought of Channing Tatum as much of an actor or heartthrob, but damn, that man can dance. Also, Joe Manganiello, yes please. *fans self*

message 121: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Someone give me the dirty deets about Magic Mike! Was it everything you ever dreamed of and more?

message 120: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments Sorry to hear that, Stefani!

I saw Brave. It was really sweet and cute. I thought it made a good family movie. It made me laugh and at one point, it made me want to sob - loudly.

message 119: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments If anyone is considering going to see Prometheus....reconsider! I saw it last night and I almost asked for my money back. And Ridley Scott...he's got some real perversions going on there lol. It was so predictable that it stopped being amusing. I am tempted to write a full rant but I just put one up on my blog so maybe later when I've recovered the energy.

message 118: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Sashana wrote: "Bless your heart, Laura! Her eyes are always unfocused, I am convinced she's a druggy. My friends say she's just awkward. You know who's awkward? Taylor Swift. But she doesn't look lost all the time."

Bravo! I totally agree.

message 117: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Bless your heart, Laura! Her eyes are always unfocused, I am convinced she's a druggy. My friends say she's just awkward. You know who's awkward? Taylor Swift. But she doesn't look lost all the time.

message 116: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Stefani wrote: "Sashana wrote: " It's almost as if the producers want her to speak as little as possible.
"

That's because she's exactly like Vin Diesel, great actress....until she opens her mouth."

I may be the only person who feels this way but I don't think she is good even when she isn't talking. Her face is awkward and she always looks confused.

message 115: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 63 comments Stefani wrote: "Sashana wrote: " It's almost as if the producers want her to speak as little as possible.
"

That's because she's exactly like Vin Diesel, great actress....until she opens her mouth."

Oh but he's so nice to look at. =)

message 114: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2275 comments But at least Vin has the bonus of man muscles to ogle. Kristen doesn't even have a good figure. *coughstickmonstercough*

message 113: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Sashana wrote: " It's almost as if the producers want her to speak as little as possible.
"

That's because she's exactly like Vin Diesel, great actress....until she opens her mouth.

message 112: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Yeah, because then the rest of the world might realize just how crappy an actor she is (oops, did I just write that down?) :)

message 111: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Laura wrote: "I must say, I don't know a single person who likes that girl as an actress and it baffles the mind that they pick her for all these really awesome parts."

Lucky you! I have at least two friends who will jump down my throat if I say anything bad about her. Do you realize that for a lot of her rolls she is cast as the soft spoken girl? It's almost as if the producers want her to speak as little as possible.

message 110: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2275 comments ⊰❁ Alley ❁⊱ wrote: "They pick her so all the Twilight fans will go see the movie.

I missed Snow White due to a migraine, but seriously - in what world is Kristin Stewart "fairer" than Charlize Theron?

Chris Hemsworth (the huntsman) is quickly becoming one of those "I'll-watch-anything-he's-in" actors. "

I agree with everything you just said.

message 109: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments Laura wrote: "I must say, I don't know a single person who likes that girl as an actress and it baffles the mind that they pick her for all these really awesome parts."

They pick her so all the Twilight fans will go see the movie.

I missed Snow White due to a migraine, but seriously - in what world is Kristin Stewart "fairer" than Charlize Theron?

Chris Hemsworth (the huntsman) is quickly becoming one of those "I'll-watch-anything-he's-in" actors.

message 108: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments I must say, I don't know a single person who likes that girl as an actress and it baffles the mind that they pick her for all these really awesome parts.

message 107: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments Laura wrote: "It was actually pretty good in my opinion (maybe because Kristen Stewart hardly had any lines)."

LMBO! You are so bad, Laura!

message 106: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments I saw Snow White and the Huntsmen recently. I thought I was going to hate it because I really can't stand Kristen Stewart.

It was actually pretty good in my opinion (maybe because Kristen Stewart hardly had any lines).

I love the huntsman guy. He is a pretty good actor and really nice to look at. I think I liked it mostly because of the visual effects. I love all of that stuff especially when it is done well.

message 105: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2275 comments Sashana wrote: "For all you Avengers fans: The truth about Loki"

LOL! Poor Tom Hiddleston.

message 104: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2275 comments Sashana wrote: "Anyone seen Prometheus?"

I saw it last night. It was ok. Nothing super special. I agree with Alley that I have more questions than answers regarding the series now. My guy friend and I weren't convinced the character motivations were adequate. But the effects were good!

message 103: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments Sashana wrote: "Anyone seen Prometheus?"

I did! Enjoyed it very much. I left the movie with more questions than answers though. I really hope they will continue with this to answer some of them.

If you like the Alien movies, or even just a sci-fi fan, go see it.

message 102: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Anyone seen Prometheus?

message 101: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments For all you Avengers fans: The truth about Loki Smiley
(view spoiler)

message 100: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Jun 04, 2012 12:56PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments It seems this month (year?) is one of movies for me.

The Intouchables was hilarious...and touching. I did have a few problems with it, though. The daughter had a small part, but it was focused mostly on the father. Based on this, it seemed as if the daughter was left emotionally neglected due to the father's disability. I forgot what my other problems were. But still, it was hilarious. Omar Sy did a fantastic job.

I agree with Stefani's assessment of Men in Black III.

I watched Snow White and the Huntsman and...eh. I liked Mirror, Mirror better. While the acting was good in Snow White and the Huntsman, I still couldn't stand Kristen Stewart (her expressions are not very wide-ranging), there was the beginning of a love triangle, and then they went ahead and left the romance line unresolved - although, granted, you do get the sense of who she may end up with. The story was eh as well. At least Mirror, Mirror was entertaining, had bright costumes, and a fun ending.

Edit to add: The religious parts in Snow White? Totally unnecessary.

message 99: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments I used to love watching trailers. The downfall started with the Paranormal Activity 3 trailer - (view spoiler)

The Cabin in the Woods trailer gave away a fairly huge plot point. And most recently, I made the mistake of watching the Prometheus international trailer - it showed way too much.

message 98: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments I am obsessed with movie trailers! No lie, I have like 3 movie trailer apps. I think I love trailers more than the actual movie. They take the best parts and compile it into two awesome minutes. I do agree that they give too much away.

message 97: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments Trailers are giving away too much lately. I've started avoiding them as much as I can.

I also get annoyed when the trailers have scenes that aren't in the actual movie!

message 96: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1627 comments I saw Chernobyl Diaries last night. My sister and i love going to see the latest scary movie together. It could have been a lot better. The ending really made me mad and it wasn't scary at all. The scariest parts were in the trailer so we already knew what was about to happen!

message 95: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments I'll probably see MiB3, Stefani, if only b/c it has been so long since I saw #1. I'll probably wait for the DVD. I don't think I ever saw #2.

message 94: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments So I talked my brother out of Dark Shadows...okay not really, I just made sure lunch was right during the only feasible showtime on "accident" and we had to choose something else lol. Went to see Men in Black 3.

Not even close to as terrible as other 3rds in series I've seen. It was amusing, but not as funny as the previous ones which was disappointing. The casting was great. The story was good but I felt it was way too series for a Men in Black movie. I will give it a B-, it was a decent edition but strays from the comedy of the others.

message 93: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "Thanks for your take on Dark Shadows. The blurb interested me but now I'm thinking of waiting until it comes out on Netflix.

Is that Snow White movie coming out next week? Chris Hemsworth. Didn't..."

I wish I had waited for Dark Shadows on Netflix. The Burton/Depp love affair is getting old.

Yes, the Snow White comes out next Friday - the 1st. In the US anyway.

Chris Hemsworth is Thor. He's also in Cabin in the Woods which is my second favorite movie of the year - after The Avengers.

message 92: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments Thanks for your take on Dark Shadows. The blurb interested me but now I'm thinking of waiting until it comes out on Netflix.

Is that Snow White movie coming out next week? Chris Hemsworth. Didn't he play a character in The Avengers? Who was he again?

message 91: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments I usually go to the movies every Friday afternoon - easy to do when you are unemployed and go with someone who pays for your ticket because they don't like going alone.

I totally recommend The Avengers. Very entertaining for a superhero movie. Plus Thor is lovely eye candy.

I would pass on Dark Shadows unless you love Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movies. Wasn't nearly as funny as the trailer made it out to be.

Battleship was meh - not terrible, but a bit cheesy. If it wasn't named Battleship and based on a board game, it would have been a passable sci-fi film.

Men in Black 3 was ok. A few bits of really lame CGI, but overall, a fun popcorn movie.

Next week is Snow White and the Huntsman. Not a Kristen Stewart fan, but yay Chris Hemsworth!

Week after is Prometheus. Looking forward to that one.

message 90: by Mia (last edited May 24, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 6 comments @Stefani - that sounds perfect! Demon chicken lol If I'm in a real evil mood maybe I'll blurt out the "twist" like ten minutes before it ends :)

I saw a ton of articles splashed allover for TBEMH, that's how my sis picked it up on it. It opened really strong in the US and internationally. It's getting indie buzz as a sleeper hit.

@Sashana - I so wanna see The Dictator. I laughed so hard during the commercials!

message 89: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments Mia wrote: "I'm still plotting my revenge on her :)"

LMAO! Oh, dear.

message 88: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Has anyone seen The Dictator? I'm contemplating seeing it.

message 87: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments I didn't know TBEMH was being hyped either! The only time I've ever heard of it was when I put it in bmdc because it's based on a book. I don't know anyone in my personal life who has seen it and that is saying something because my friends love movies like I love books.

Charlize Theron is so gorgeous it's hard to look at her! I honestly think the only reason why Kristen Stewart was given this role is because "she's fair" aka pale. I doubt anyone will ever give her a role where she has to be tanned -.-

message 86: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments @ Mia. Any of the Paranormal Activity movies will suffice for terrible, shaky cam, horrendous actors. Let me put it this way, in Paranormal Activity one, you spend 20 minutes watching them sleep and watching scary things happen while they sleep. Then you spend 30 minutes watching them watching what you just watched! All the male characters are truly awful people that you don't want to live. And then they finally find the big bad demon....which leaves chicken footprints. I couldn't help myself at that point, I busted up laughing uncontrollably in the middle of the theater for the rest of the movie. I mean, demon chicken! Need I say more?

message 85: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments lol. My sister and I really liked Mirror, Mirror too. I liked the dancing and singing at the end! I thought it was pretty funny. :D

I remember seeing the poster for the Snow White show with Kristen Stewart. At the time I was like, Ooh, wanna see. Now, I'm like, does she *have* to be the main character? Ugh!

I'd give The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel three out of five stars. It was funny, but it wasn't what people hyped. And worst of all my little sis begged and begged for me to take her, so I did, and then... she hated it!

hahaha!!! That's so funny.

I didn't realize it was being hyped about it.

I also want to see The Intouchables. It's a French movie that is based on a true story, I think. The preview looked funny.

message 84: by Aleksandra (last edited May 23, 2012 05:31PM) (new)

Aleksandra (spalkiry) | 68 comments Sashana wrote: "I would let her sit through the whole Twilight saga. Nothing kills my mood quite like Kristen Stewart."

LOL, Sashana, that just made my day :D! Or night, whatever :D! And how about her being Snow White, the only one more beautiful woman than the Evil Queen, a.k.a. Charlize Theron???? Like, SERIOUSLY????????

Apropos, Snow White remakes, I really liked Mirror, Mirror. I had my doubts about a few things, but was pleasantly surprised after all :). I don't regret seeing it in the theater at all! The only thing I got annoyed by was the very very ending, when the credits start, the cast starts dancing... Bolywood-style, cause the director is Indian. I hate Bollywood! The only movie I like is Bride and Prejudice! Oh, wait, it's a take on Pride and Prejudice, so... no surprise there...

message 83: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments I would let her sit through the whole Twilight saga. Nothing kills my mood quite like Kristen Stewart.

message 82: by Mia (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 6 comments Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "LOL, Mia.

I'm planning on seeing it. My sister wants to see it and the preview looked pretty funny. You didn't like it?"

I'd give The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel three out of five stars. It was funny, but it wasn't what people hyped. And worst of all my little sis begged and begged for me to take her, so I did, and then... she hated it!

I'm still plotting my revenge on her :) Any recs for terrible movies? Preferably really long ones with bad acting, shaky camera movement, and plotholes.

message 81: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments LOL, Mia.

I'm planning on seeing it. My sister wants to see it and the preview looked pretty funny. You didn't like it?

message 80: by Mia (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 6 comments Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "LOL, Mia! :D

I loved Avatar as well. I think I watched it 3-4 times in the theaters. The last time was when they came out with the 10 extra minutes of footage. I watched Titanic 3 times in the the..."

I missed Avatar in theaters :( but I watched it on DVD. It was probably amazing in 3D. Titanic was pretty good in 3D.

I'm definitely seeing The Avengers again, but I'll either go for 2D or I'll go to the drive-in and catch a double feature (it's playing with John Carter).

I don't like going to the movies alone either. I think the last movie I saw alone was Melancholia. I couldn't trick, blackmail, or whine loud enough for anyone join me.

My little sis recently tricked me into taking her to see The Best Marigold Exotic Hotel. She totally owes me for that one.

message 79: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments LOL! Oh, Stefani! Thanks for that. ☺

message 78: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Mia wrote: "THE AVENGERS was awesome, but I wish I didn't waste my money on the 3D tickets. Basically the beginning credits were 3D, you got some blurry shots in the middle, and then the end credits were 3D. ..."

Still want to see Avengers. But I am not wasting my money on 3D either. I don't feel a need to spend $20 a ticket for a few 3D effects, thanks anyway. Question...I was pondering this the other day, why does James Cameron have such an unnatural attraction to 3D movies? Is it a sexual thing? Or is he just so in love with his own movies that he feels a need to make them all 3D?

My brother's birthday is this weekend, I am taking him to a movie and lunch for a present. I know he's going to want to see Dark Shadows, and I really really really don't want to lol. I love Johnny Depp, but I hate Johnny Depp in Tim Burton movies. And I do not like Tim Burton movies, he is incapable of making any of them different from all the others. And he puts his horrid wife in everything! *sigh* But its his birthday so I can't say no.

message 77: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 851 comments LOL, Mia! :D

I loved Avatar as well. I think I watched it 3-4 times in the theaters. The last time was when they came out with the 10 extra minutes of footage. I watched Titanic 3 times in the theaters, too. My history teacher was like, there's nothing interesting going on. It's just 3 hours of a ship sinking. lol. I wanted to see the 3D version but my sister didn't want to go with me, and I'm not very fond of watching movies by myself. Maybe, if the 3D is still out, I'll go.

I liked the 3D in Avengers. I thought it was pretty neat. :)

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beauty (other topics)
Rose Daughter (other topics)
The Jumbee (other topics)
A Game of Thrones (other topics)
Thirteen Reasons Why (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin McKinley (other topics)