Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Movies and TV Series

Comments (showing 51-100 of 126) (126 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments lol, Lisa Kay.

I'd read somewhere (forgot where) that Andrew Lloyd Webber had always wanted to hear Phantom sing in a rock and roll style, which is what I did not quite like about Butler's singing. But I'm used to listening to my original casting soundtrack so I'm biased. :D

I want to see the Broadway show again. It's been a long time and I've forgotten a lot of details. I haven't seen the old movie. Didn't realize that there was one.

message 52: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments niquae wrote: "I haven't seen the old movie. Didn't realize that there was one..."

It wasn't a musical.

Loved the musical. I hate to tell you, but I had wonderful seats both times I saw it. The first time we flew down to L.A. to see the last week Micheal Crawford's performance. The second time was in San Francisco and we sat right under the chandelier! The costumes were wonderful! Wouldn't mind seeing it again either.

message 53: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Ooh, so lucky! Sounds absolutely lovely. I'm definitely going to grab better seats when I can afford them. :D

yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde! (yojharobed) Lisa Kay wrote: "There is a new Doctor Who, which I have never watched, coming to BBC America around April 23rd. I have my TiVo set. I think they are show a few old one before then too."

The one with Matt Smith? He is AWESOME!!! We got the first season from the library and I think he is my second favorite Doctor(1st is David Tennant, 2nd Christopher Eccleston;). So funny...

message 55: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Do anyone have a summer Must See list for movies? I really want to see Bad Teachers, X-Men: First Class, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2.

message 56: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments It's like you took the summer Must See list right out of my head, Sashana. Too bad we don't live closer to each other or we could go see them together. My friends' and boyfriend's taste of movies is so opposite mine. :(

message 57: by Sashana (new)

Sashana My friends and I have different taste in movies too. I can see that my taste is changing though. Usually I'd go for chick flicks or rom-coms but my latest Watchlist on IMDb has many films from Sundance.

message 58: by Sans (new)

Sans My summer must-see list was X-Men, Cowboys & Aliens and HP 7 part 2. Saw them all, loved them all.

message 59: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Over the weekend, I discovered and watch the anime Trinity Blood. It's an interesting vampire anime based on light novels. The light novels, anime and manga apparently are a little different from each other.

I liked it (even the dubbed version, which I normally hate) for its premise and for the main character, particularly what he is. There were some things that didn't make sense and I was a little bothered by how the story treated the women though. There were two instances where male characters slapped a female character. The female characters, although many have positive qualities or high positions or are supposedly strong, brave and/or competent, few are actually shown to be strong and competent. If they are, it is subtle as illustrated by the Cardinal Sforza. This is no doubt due to the influence of the author's Japanese culture, but it bothered my Western-lensed eyes.

message 60: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I just saw Crazy, Stupid, Love and it was so funny I almost had a heart attack from laughing so hard.

message 61: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Today my sister and I went to see Puss in Boots 3D. The animation was great, the 3D was amazing, and I love Antonio Banderas. His accent is so sexy. lol. XD I could barely discern Salma Hayek's accent in 2/3 of her lines so it felt like the accent came and went. Her character, Kitty Softpaws, was also really fun.

The movie was cute and funny. There were funny lines and moments for kids, and a couple of funny lines that I think were meant for the adults. But it wasn't really hysterically funny - just funny, nor was it "squee-worthy" cute but still cute. Puss' sad, kitty face was not as cute and aw-worthy as it had been in Shrek, sadly.

The plot wasn't very original but I admit that I was completely taken in by (view spoiler).

I really enjoyed it. It was fun, and I loved the 3D so much, I'd like to watch it again. :D

message 62: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm glad you enjoyed it, Niquae. My friend wanted me to go see it last Saturday but I turned him down. Hopefully I'll get another opportunity to see it.

message 63: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I hope you get another opportunity to see it too. I found it to be a great stress reliever. :)

So was the youtube video, "YouTube Challenge - I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy". The kids' reactions were just too funny although I know that at their age, I'd probably have reacted the same way. :D

Link

message 64: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I just saw Warrior and it was...Gah! Amazing. My favorite movie of 2011 (and I've seen a lot of movies this year). Loved the fight scenes, loved the dialogue between father and sons, and I loved the tension between the brothers. It was great! Much more than I expected. A must see.

message 65: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments My sister and I went to see Breaking Dawn a week or so ago.

Isle Esme was lovely.
I still don't like the actress who plays Bella. I thought that she did not interpret the wedding scene well.
I liked the rest of the cast well enough but I thought that the actress who played Leah looked way too old.
The computer work to make pregnant Bella look emaciated did a fabulous job.

The movie made me want to reread Breaking Dawn, which proved to be harder to stomach than I had recalled - at least when it is read out loud. lol

message 66: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I've seen the Broadway musical of POTO twice and the old movie once. I was given the new movie version by a friend and haven't watched it yet. Maybe I'll get off GR's and pop it in now, niquae! ..."

Lisa Kay, I've been listening to Gerard Butler's version of the soundtrack more and more to the extent that I prefer it now over the Broadway version. I feel like Butler put more emotion into his singing whereas the Broadway actor was more focused on technical aspects of singing. In this way, I thought that Butler brought more life and feeling into the movie.

message 67: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Interesting, Niq. I was given that movie and I haven't watched it yet. Maybe it is time. ☺

message 68: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Last night my sister and I watched Mirror Mirror. It was a fun movie. We were 20+ minutes late because we were grabbing a late dinner nearby, and had to bang on the closed doors and show our ticket to be let in. -_-; The theater was closed.

What we saw of it, though, we really enjoyed. It was funny and cute, and had bright, colorful costumes. The acting was decent. The actress who played Snow White was pretty except for her bangs. The dwarves were pretty good. You'd recognize a few from Charmed, The Lion King (Timon), Angel, and The Pirates of the Caribbean - among others. I really liked the ending. I thought it was pretty funny to have a white person sing and dance as if in a Bollywood type movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUi-23...

We plan on watching it again next week - from the beginning this time. :)

message 69: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (morgzsydney) | 31 comments I have just started watching the Game of Thrones show after reading book 1 and adoring it! I love the show. I have only watched four episodes, and I am hoping to finish season 1 by the next Sunday! Daenerys is exactly how I pictured her! Arya is also an awesome, adorable little rebel!

message 70: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Saw The Hunger Games with sis. We are agreed - it was boring. Well, for her, the first half was. For me, it was the first 2/3.

But! I am now more interested in reading the books. lol

I'd read at least up to chapter 6. I was a bit annoyed by the changes, but the costuming of the Capitol folks was pretty awesome, and the acting was decent.

message 71: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Just watched The Avengers. My sister and I liked it so much better than we had expected! It was funny, exciting and had great special effects and graphics. We want to go see it again soon. :D

message 72: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "Just watched The Avengers. My sister and I liked it so much better than we had expected! It was funny, exciting and had great special effects and graphics. We want to go see it again soon. :D"

I've heard from several people on GRs that it is really good, UHQ. GTK you liked it too.

message 73: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "Just watched The Avengers. My sister and I liked it so much better than we had expected! It was funny, exciting and had great special effects and graphics. We want t..."

Yes. I'd been hearing from many people how good it was, but I wasn't interested until my youngest sister (who is *very* picky) came home and said that she wanted to see it again. She rarely wants to spend money to see things again. O.O My interest was somewhat piqued then. Until then, I was like, "Pfft, I don't want to see something so many people rave about". I mean, I haven't even seen "300" or "The Matrix" (borrowed The Matrix from Blockbuster once. Watched 5-10 minutes of it and got bored. lol) although I did watch "Avatar" and "Titanic" so I guess I'm inconsistent in that way. :D

message 74: by Lisa Kay (last edited May 23, 2012 02:16PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Loved Avatar! Saw it in 3D and was just, "Whoa." So... saw it again in 3D. I never go back to movies in the theater. Didn't get grabbed by The Matrix. Only watched Titanic once; too sad. Wouldn't mind seeing 300... but haven't gotten around to it.

message 75: by Mia (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 6 comments THE AVENGERS was awesome, but I wish I didn't waste my money on the 3D tickets. Basically the beginning credits were 3D, you got some blurry shots in the middle, and then the end credits were 3D. I felt a little ripped off, I mean it was neat seeing Joss Whedon's name fly out at me, but that's not what I really paid for :(

I definitely recommend 300, but not for its plot ;)

message 76: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Mia wrote: "I definitely recommend 300, but not for its plot ;)"

LMAO!

message 77: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments LOL, Mia! :D

I loved Avatar as well. I think I watched it 3-4 times in the theaters. The last time was when they came out with the 10 extra minutes of footage. I watched Titanic 3 times in the theaters, too. My history teacher was like, there's nothing interesting going on. It's just 3 hours of a ship sinking. lol. I wanted to see the 3D version but my sister didn't want to go with me, and I'm not very fond of watching movies by myself. Maybe, if the 3D is still out, I'll go.

I liked the 3D in Avengers. I thought it was pretty neat. :)

message 78: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments Mia wrote: "THE AVENGERS was awesome, but I wish I didn't waste my money on the 3D tickets. Basically the beginning credits were 3D, you got some blurry shots in the middle, and then the end credits were 3D. ..."

Still want to see Avengers. But I am not wasting my money on 3D either. I don't feel a need to spend $20 a ticket for a few 3D effects, thanks anyway. Question...I was pondering this the other day, why does James Cameron have such an unnatural attraction to 3D movies? Is it a sexual thing? Or is he just so in love with his own movies that he feels a need to make them all 3D?

My brother's birthday is this weekend, I am taking him to a movie and lunch for a present. I know he's going to want to see Dark Shadows, and I really really really don't want to lol. I love Johnny Depp, but I hate Johnny Depp in Tim Burton movies. And I do not like Tim Burton movies, he is incapable of making any of them different from all the others. And he puts his horrid wife in everything! *sigh* But its his birthday so I can't say no.

message 79: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments LOL! Oh, Stefani! Thanks for that. ☺

message 80: by Mia (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 6 comments Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "LOL, Mia! :D

I loved Avatar as well. I think I watched it 3-4 times in the theaters. The last time was when they came out with the 10 extra minutes of footage. I watched Titanic 3 times in the the..."

I missed Avatar in theaters :( but I watched it on DVD. It was probably amazing in 3D. Titanic was pretty good in 3D.

I'm definitely seeing The Avengers again, but I'll either go for 2D or I'll go to the drive-in and catch a double feature (it's playing with John Carter).

I don't like going to the movies alone either. I think the last movie I saw alone was Melancholia. I couldn't trick, blackmail, or whine loud enough for anyone join me.

My little sis recently tricked me into taking her to see The Best Marigold Exotic Hotel. She totally owes me for that one.

message 81: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments LOL, Mia.

I'm planning on seeing it. My sister wants to see it and the preview looked pretty funny. You didn't like it?

message 82: by Mia (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 6 comments Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "LOL, Mia.

I'm planning on seeing it. My sister wants to see it and the preview looked pretty funny. You didn't like it?"

I'd give The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel three out of five stars. It was funny, but it wasn't what people hyped. And worst of all my little sis begged and begged for me to take her, so I did, and then... she hated it!

I'm still plotting my revenge on her :) Any recs for terrible movies? Preferably really long ones with bad acting, shaky camera movement, and plotholes.

message 83: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I would let her sit through the whole Twilight saga. Nothing kills my mood quite like Kristen Stewart.

message 84: by Aleksandra (last edited May 23, 2012 05:31PM) (new)

Aleksandra (spalkiry) | 68 comments Sashana wrote: "I would let her sit through the whole Twilight saga. Nothing kills my mood quite like Kristen Stewart."

LOL, Sashana, that just made my day :D! Or night, whatever :D! And how about her being Snow White, the only one more beautiful woman than the Evil Queen, a.k.a. Charlize Theron???? Like, SERIOUSLY????????

Apropos, Snow White remakes, I really liked Mirror, Mirror. I had my doubts about a few things, but was pleasantly surprised after all :). I don't regret seeing it in the theater at all! The only thing I got annoyed by was the very very ending, when the credits start, the cast starts dancing... Bolywood-style, cause the director is Indian. I hate Bollywood! The only movie I like is Bride and Prejudice! Oh, wait, it's a take on Pride and Prejudice, so... no surprise there...

message 85: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments lol. My sister and I really liked Mirror, Mirror too. I liked the dancing and singing at the end! I thought it was pretty funny. :D

I remember seeing the poster for the Snow White show with Kristen Stewart. At the time I was like, Ooh, wanna see. Now, I'm like, does she *have* to be the main character? Ugh!

I'd give The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel three out of five stars. It was funny, but it wasn't what people hyped. And worst of all my little sis begged and begged for me to take her, so I did, and then... she hated it!

hahaha!!! That's so funny.

I didn't realize it was being hyped about it.

I also want to see The Intouchables. It's a French movie that is based on a true story, I think. The preview looked funny.

message 86: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments @ Mia. Any of the Paranormal Activity movies will suffice for terrible, shaky cam, horrendous actors. Let me put it this way, in Paranormal Activity one, you spend 20 minutes watching them sleep and watching scary things happen while they sleep. Then you spend 30 minutes watching them watching what you just watched! All the male characters are truly awful people that you don't want to live. And then they finally find the big bad demon....which leaves chicken footprints. I couldn't help myself at that point, I busted up laughing uncontrollably in the middle of the theater for the rest of the movie. I mean, demon chicken! Need I say more?

message 87: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I didn't know TBEMH was being hyped either! The only time I've ever heard of it was when I put it in bmdc because it's based on a book. I don't know anyone in my personal life who has seen it and that is saying something because my friends love movies like I love books.

Charlize Theron is so gorgeous it's hard to look at her! I honestly think the only reason why Kristen Stewart was given this role is because "she's fair" aka pale. I doubt anyone will ever give her a role where she has to be tanned -.-

message 88: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Has anyone seen The Dictator? I'm contemplating seeing it.

message 89: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Mia wrote: "I'm still plotting my revenge on her :)"

LMAO! Oh, dear.

message 90: by Mia (last edited May 24, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Mia (HotWolfie) | 6 comments @Stefani - that sounds perfect! Demon chicken lol If I'm in a real evil mood maybe I'll blurt out the "twist" like ten minutes before it ends :)

I saw a ton of articles splashed allover for TBEMH, that's how my sis picked it up on it. It opened really strong in the US and internationally. It's getting indie buzz as a sleeper hit.

@Sashana - I so wanna see The Dictator. I laughed so hard during the commercials!

message 91: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments I usually go to the movies every Friday afternoon - easy to do when you are unemployed and go with someone who pays for your ticket because they don't like going alone.

I totally recommend The Avengers. Very entertaining for a superhero movie. Plus Thor is lovely eye candy.

I would pass on Dark Shadows unless you love Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movies. Wasn't nearly as funny as the trailer made it out to be.

Battleship was meh - not terrible, but a bit cheesy. If it wasn't named Battleship and based on a board game, it would have been a passable sci-fi film.

Men in Black 3 was ok. A few bits of really lame CGI, but overall, a fun popcorn movie.

Next week is Snow White and the Huntsman. Not a Kristen Stewart fan, but yay Chris Hemsworth!

Week after is Prometheus. Looking forward to that one.

message 92: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Thanks for your take on Dark Shadows. The blurb interested me but now I'm thinking of waiting until it comes out on Netflix.

Is that Snow White movie coming out next week? Chris Hemsworth. Didn't he play a character in The Avengers? Who was he again?

message 93: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments Utterly Huggable Quills wrote: "Thanks for your take on Dark Shadows. The blurb interested me but now I'm thinking of waiting until it comes out on Netflix.

Is that Snow White movie coming out next week? Chris Hemsworth. Didn't..."

I wish I had waited for Dark Shadows on Netflix. The Burton/Depp love affair is getting old.

Yes, the Snow White comes out next Friday - the 1st. In the US anyway.

Chris Hemsworth is Thor. He's also in Cabin in the Woods which is my second favorite movie of the year - after The Avengers.

message 94: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments So I talked my brother out of Dark Shadows...okay not really, I just made sure lunch was right during the only feasible showtime on "accident" and we had to choose something else lol. Went to see Men in Black 3.

Not even close to as terrible as other 3rds in series I've seen. It was amusing, but not as funny as the previous ones which was disappointing. The casting was great. The story was good but I felt it was way too series for a Men in Black movie. I will give it a B-, it was a decent edition but strays from the comedy of the others.

message 95: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments I'll probably see MiB3, Stefani, if only b/c it has been so long since I saw #1. I'll probably wait for the DVD. I don't think I ever saw #2.

message 96: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I saw Chernobyl Diaries last night. My sister and i love going to see the latest scary movie together. It could have been a lot better. The ending really made me mad and it wasn't scary at all. The scariest parts were in the trailer so we already knew what was about to happen!

message 97: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments Trailers are giving away too much lately. I've started avoiding them as much as I can.

I also get annoyed when the trailers have scenes that aren't in the actual movie!

message 98: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I am obsessed with movie trailers! No lie, I have like 3 movie trailer apps. I think I love trailers more than the actual movie. They take the best parts and compile it into two awesome minutes. I do agree that they give too much away.

message 99: by Alley (new)

Alley (Alleycatfish) | 198 comments I used to love watching trailers. The downfall started with the Paranormal Activity 3 trailer - (view spoiler)

The Cabin in the Woods trailer gave away a fairly huge plot point. And most recently, I made the mistake of watching the Prometheus international trailer - it showed way too much.

message 100: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Jun 04, 2012 12:56PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments It seems this month (year?) is one of movies for me.

The Intouchables was hilarious...and touching. I did have a few problems with it, though. The daughter had a small part, but it was focused mostly on the father. Based on this, it seemed as if the daughter was left emotionally neglected due to the father's disability. I forgot what my other problems were. But still, it was hilarious. Omar Sy did a fantastic job.

I agree with Stefani's assessment of Men in Black III.

I watched Snow White and the Huntsman and...eh. I liked Mirror, Mirror better. While the acting was good in Snow White and the Huntsman, I still couldn't stand Kristen Stewart (her expressions are not very wide-ranging), there was the beginning of a love triangle, and then they went ahead and left the romance line unresolved - although, granted, you do get the sense of who she may end up with. The story was eh as well. At least Mirror, Mirror was entertaining, had bright costumes, and a fun ending.

Edit to add: The religious parts in Snow White? Totally unnecessary.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast (other topics)
Rose Daughter (other topics)
The Jumbee (other topics)
A Game of Thrones (other topics)
Thirteen Reasons Why (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin McKinley (other topics)