Goodreads Feedback discussion

Announcements > Introducing Genre Pages

Comments (showing 1-50 of 181) (181 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by M a y a (last edited Mar 15, 2011 03:37PM) (new)

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Hi folks,

We've built out some new pages that will let you explore newly released books by genre!

Check them out: http://www.goodreads.com/genres

A few notes:
1. We are using shelf data to determine which books to display.
2. If a shelf is not generating new releases, it may not have been set as a genre. Librarians have the ability to tag any shelf as a genre (just click "edit"), and this data will drive the new releases shown.
3. Librarians can edit the hierarchy of genres by setting the parent genre field for any genre.

EDIT: For discussion about librarian changes, use this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) | 4649 comments This is really, really nice and will make finding new less-popular books much easier. Thank you.

Andrea (andreakhost) | 38 comments I like the 'browse by genre' dashboard idea. It's a nice catch-all and useful enough that I think it would work nicely as one of the 'primary tabs' (next to 'updates' and 'groups').

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8260 comments Oh, how fun!

mlady_rebecca | 2020 comments This looks really cool. Is there a list of "main shelves" somewhere?

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments mlady_rebecca, look on the right side. Is it prominent enough?

mlady_rebecca | 2020 comments Is that the complete list? If so, yes it's prominent enough.

Oh, I see it's hierarchical. You need to drill down to the sub-genres. That was what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8364 comments I do have a question, though. Are these large covers going to be the direction that goodreads is moving toward, with some abbreviated info as you move your mouse over them? The info blocks out other covers and is quite annoying, but perhaps I need more experience with the format.

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 15 comments This is great! Thank you!

new_user | 447 comments I think it's prominent enough.

This is so cool! It's like browsing a Borders. Love the videos. Is there a way to prioritize new ones in that panel? (Also, just FYI, it doesn't indicate which giveaways I've already entered.)

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments new_user wrote: Also, just FYI, it doesn't indicate which give..."

Thanks for the catch, I'll get that fixed soon!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 210 comments Mayanka wrote: "Librarians have the ability to tag any shelf as a genre"

I shelve my fantasy genre books as fantasy-fiction. I found the "shelf is a genre" checkbox, but that's not quite what I was expecting. Is there a way to indicate that this shelf is fantasy, or will there be? (Like a drop-down box with a list of existing genres?) Or should I just conform and rename the shelf to "fantasy"?

Cool new feature, though. :)

message 15: by M a y a (last edited Mar 14, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Snail in Danger (Nikki) wrote: "Mayanka wrote: "Librarians have the ability to tag any shelf as a genre"

I shelve my fantasy genre books as fantasy-fiction. I found the "shelf is a genre" checkbox, but that's not quite what I w..."

If you check the "shelf is a genre" checkbox, you will see two more fields.

One of them is "This shelf is a duplicate of main shelf". You can set this field to fantasy. Now books tagged fantasy-fiction will count toward fantasy. However, please use this field sparingly -- only when the two shelves are truly the same. Also, do not set this field for the "main" version of the shelf, in this case fantasy.

Does that make sense?

message 16: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Mar 14, 2011 05:40PM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 210 comments Ahh ... I was afraid to check the box because I wasn't sure what would happen. Thanks!

And yes, that does make sense.

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Also, it will take about 24 hours for the new releases to include the updated librarian changes.

mlady_rebecca | 2020 comments Suggestion: When a genre shelf is connected to a main genre shelf, could we get it to copy over that shelf description in the way we copy over default descriptions within various editions of a book?

In other words, the "Science Fiction" shelf description would get copied over to connected shelves like "sf", "sci-fi", and "scifi". Assuming a box is checked, and there isn't another description already present.

Also, could we have those alternate shelf names displayed on the main shelf page, or at least the main shelf edit page?

mlady_rebecca | 2020 comments Question: How should we handle the merged sf/fantasy shelves? Is it accurate to link those to the main shelf "Speculative Fiction"? Or should there be a top level "Science Fiction and/or Fantasy" shelf?

I can move this to the Librarian group if that would be a more appropriate place to discuss it.

Erich | 8 comments That's an awesome new feature. I'm missing a better search function though. For example, I'd like to be able to search for "korean" and file the various shelves that appear under either "korean-language", "korean-literature" or the like. I cannot use the alphabetical listing since some shelves start with a prefix-letter. That would make things much easier.

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments mlady_rebecca wrote: "Also, could we have those alternate shelf names displayed on the main shelf page, or at least the main shelf edit page?"

Yes, I was just coming to ask this -- it would be cool to see all of the ways people shelved the same genre, and it would also be useful for librarians to catch mistakes.

Also, could we add librarian's notes and a changelog on the genre definitions? It would help people not work at cross purposes! :)

I think we probably should move the specifics to the librarian group, or at least start a new thread.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 210 comments This may be better in the librarian group - but should comics and manga really be separate genres?

Anki (ShadrachAnki) | 72 comments Snail in Danger (Nikki) wrote: "This may be better in the librarian group - but should comics and manga really be separate genres?"

Probably is more suited to the librarian group, but I think they probably should remain separate from a usage perspective. Comics covers a different territory, in general, than manga does. Yes, there are people who will use them synonymously, but there's enough of a difference to warrant separate genres.

(Setting aside the fact that I would define both comics and manga as descriptors of medium rather than genre, since you can have science fiction comics/manga and superhero comics/manga and chicklit comics/manga)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments Here's a librarian policy thread, if anyone wants to join in (you don't have to be a librarian to join the group):
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments Allright, some thoughts.
Really like the feature and how it is organized. The covers are on the big side though, and frankly I'm getting confused with all the different sizes of covers. There's the ones on my books, the one on the new releases page (which is slightly bigger I think), and now these.

I think the bigness of the covers causes a lot of scrolling.

I noticed that when I go to the genres main page, for me it was displaying the Romance genre, and a whole lot of romance lists on the sidebar, is this because I've tagged most books in that genre? Or was it just random?

I also noticed that the genre pages don't discriminate on country when it comes to the giveaways, like it does on the main giveaways page.

Also, could the more button on the description expand the section instead of becoming a pop-up? All the pop-ups are getting kinda hard to read, and it's strange to see the same text placed over the same text.

In the science-fiction page, under the new books by authors you've read, it's showing one book that is fantasy and definitely not science-fiction (and the author hasn't written any science-fiction, so I'm confused), and two books published in november 2010. All of these I had already shelved. Strangely enough it was missing some other books I've already shelved that have been released since later than november, so I'm confused there.

message 26: by Ken-ichi (last edited Mar 15, 2011 11:05AM) (new)

Ken-ichi | 556 comments Looks cool, but I'd like more emphasis on the book-finding experience. For instance, I don't recognize most of the new releases, so I think it would be good to show average rating and/or whether friends of mine have added the books, and not just on rollover. I want to be able to quickly scan the grid and see which books I should care about. I think the popular books section should either filter out or demarcate books I've added/read. If I feel like the Science Fiction page is always going to show me a bunch of books that I either already know about (Dune) or ones for which I have no social or literary context (Desires of the Dead), I probably won't think about it the next time I'm searching for some scifi to read.

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Jan wrote: "Allright, some thoughts.
Really like the feature and how it is organized. The covers are on the big side though, and frankly I'm getting confused with all the different sizes of covers. There's the..."

Jan, you have some good points. I'll get the giveaways fixed and no popup for the description. Personally, I like the big covers, but I'm happy to wait and see what others think. Someone above commented that it was like browsing at a bookstore -- the exact effect I was hoping for.

The "authors you've read" section is a bit esoteric. We're filtering authors you've read and rated 3 stars and above, checking against new releases for the past 6 months, and filtering out books you've already read. We may change up this formula as we see fit. I'd like to get a better feeling for how useful people think this section is.

This brings me to Ken-ichi's comment about filtering out books you've read from the popular books section. Perhaps we could add a filter but I wouldn't want to do it automatically -- because people would expect to see their favorites at the top (and be confused why Dune isn't a popular sci-fi book).

As for whether the book is in the right genre -- remember this is based on user tag data. I have noticed that ultra popular books have been tagged as multiple tangential genres.

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone!

MissJessie--former librarian (MissJessie) | 1620 comments Please reduce the cover size. It's really large and causes a lot of inconvenient scrolling.

I'd like to agree with Ken Ichi re filtering out what I've read. I'm looking for new things to read, not reaffirmation of what I've already read. Especially, in addition to the new releases, older unknown to me books in a genre that others have liked.

message 29: by Dionisia (last edited Mar 15, 2011 12:12PM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 328 comments Love the concept and overall look of the page. I now feel compelled to categorize the books I've already read by genre even though the thought makes me sweat a little.

I noticed the "my favorite genres" section sitting on the right-hand side of the page. I was excited to see it included! I would love if the genres displayed on this page could be pulled from those genres/categories we indicate as favorites. The only category I think should show up for everyone by default is the Movers & Shakers of the month. I think this combination would really help me find the most relevant books for me.

Currently, the romance genre is included on the main page (see below). That is a lot of real estate dedicated to a genre I have no interest in. I would love to know if my suggestion is doable and if others agree it would be a nice way to help us find new releases we may want to read.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

message 30: by M a y a (last edited Mar 15, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Hi Dionisia --

Thanks for your feedback! Glad you like the look and concept.

We actually do use your favorite genres to determine the genres shown on that page. It also pulls from genres you've recently viewed. However, if there were not enough new releases from genres you've chosen, it will choose randomly. Also, it does not use the write-in fields, only the checkbox fields (because these are more likely to have new releases).

Hope that helps!

message 31: by Jan (last edited Mar 15, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments Mayanka wrote: "The "authors you've read" section is a bit esoteric. We're filtering authors you've read and rated 3 stars and above, checking against new releases for the past 6 months, and filtering out books you've already read. We may change up this formula as we see fit. I'd like to get a better feeling for how useful people think this section is. "

Thanks for the response!
In my case it's showing at least one book I've already read though, a couple of months ago even. In fact, I was the person who added it to the system if I recall correctly, so something isn't working correctly I think. ( In case you need the info, the book showing up as a new release despite being read is Typhoon.)

Quick question. If a book is tagged both under historical and romance, is the system smart enough to make it show up under the historical romance subgenre? ( crosses fingers).

If not, what are the chances of us ever getting sub-shelves, just like we now have subgenres?

This because I suspect a lot of people shelve books under for instance paranormal and romance, instead of under paranormal-romance. But of course not everything paranormal is romance...

EDIT: I noticed I haven't set my favorite genres, and thus I don't have that section. Maybe add a link "Set your favorite genres!" instead?

Deborah | 1195 comments Jan wrote: "Mayanka wrote: "The "authors you've read" section is a bit esoteric. We're filtering authors you've read and rated 3 stars and above, checking against new releases for the past 6 months, and filter..."

I've read 3 of the nine non-fiction books under the authors you've read section.

I do like the large covers.

I personally don't ever want recently viewed to be used for anything, since those books could be books I was only viewing as a librarian, not for myself.

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments I first read that as recently reviewed, which would have been interesting. I agree that recently viewed is slightly tedious for librarians.

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Thanks, all!

1. I'll work on tracking down the bug with showing books you've read.

2. I will definitely get the favorite genres added for those who haven't set them.

3. Sorry, librarians! I think the recently viewed feature is useful to 95% of users who are not librarians. You can always open up a separate browser for librarian purposes as it only applies to the session.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8364 comments Mayanka wrote: "I think the recently viewed feature is useful to 95% of users who are not librarians. You can always open up a separate browser for librarian purposes as it only applies to the session. "

And for those of us who never log off? I have librarian status, but rarely perform librarian duties. I look at perhaps dozens of titles nearly daily. I either add a title to my Wish List or I'm not interested.

message 36: by Dionisia (last edited Mar 15, 2011 01:27PM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 328 comments Mayanka wrote: "Hi Dionisia --

Thanks for your feedback! Glad you like the look and concept.

We actually do use your favorite genres to determine the genres shown on that page. It also pulls from genres you've r..."

Ah, it must have been the write-ins that did me in. Thank for explaining! I'll tinker with my favorite genre selections and see if I can knock that romance listing into the ether.

Edit: Any chance that horror can be given a checkbox field too? It is sulking in the corner of the write-in box. I'm starting to get nervous about what it might do.

message 37: by M a y a (last edited Mar 15, 2011 01:45PM) (new)

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Moderatrix Lori wrote: "I'd like to know why M/M Romance is a sub-genre of Erotica and not just Romance. Not every gay romance is erotica. Some of the most popular books in the genre have little to no sex at all."
Hmm, it was originally under romance. I'm working on adding librarian change logs so we can follow the changes better. Please be patient with the sub-genres for now!

Also, you can follow the librarian discussion here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 38: by Moderatrix Lori (last edited Mar 15, 2011 01:45PM) (new)

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 432 comments Thank you! I just noticed it's under Romance now and so I deleted my post thinking I had spoken out of turn :)

Edit: This is great by the way :)

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Jan wrote: "Mayanka wrote: "Quick question. If a book is tagged both under historical and romance, is the system smart enough to make it show up under the historical romance subgenre? ( crosses fingers)."

Not smart enough yet. I'd love to do it in the future but it will be tricky.

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments Mayanka wrote: "Jan wrote: "Mayanka wrote: "Quick question. If a book is tagged both under historical and romance, is the system smart enough to make it show up under the historical romance subgenre? ( crosses fingers).""

Not smart enough yet. I'd love to do it in the future but it will be tricky.

I have faith in you!

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments Question: if something is shelved in a sub-genre, will it be wrapped up with the higher level genres as well? For example, if there's a book shelved as "shojo" but not as "manga", will that show as a new or popular book under "manga"?

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Cait wrote: "Question: if something is shelved in a sub-genre, will it be wrapped up with the higher level genres as well? For example, if there's a book shelved as "shojo" but not as "manga", will that show as..."

For now, no. We are not counting sub-genres as results toward parent genres. Definitely something we should think about for the future though!

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments Mayanka wrote: "For now, no. We are not counting sub-genres as results toward parent genres. Definitely something we should think about for the future though!"

That would be a really useful effect of sub-genres, so I hope it works out. Thanks!

Jan (janoda) | 596 comments Cait wrote: "Question: if something is shelved in a sub-genre, will it be wrapped up with the higher level genres as well? For example, if there's a book shelved as "shojo" but not as "manga", will that show as a new or popular book under "manga""

Ooooh, I'd like that. And it would definitely work great with sub-shelves :D

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 2850 comments Played around, love it. I've a cold so maybe I missed you say already, but could more tags be added? I see nothing for geography, cartography, or maps. Should I go to the librarians group to lobby for that inclusion?

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Played around, love it. I've a cold so maybe I missed you say already, but could more tags be added? I see nothing for geography, cartography, or maps. Should I go to the librarians group to lob..."

Yep, try this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 2850 comments on my way, tx!

mlady_rebecca | 2020 comments Under fiction, the sub-genre of "African American Literature" is a bit too long for the current spacing. Not sure if the name should be shortened or if the spacing can be adjusted.

message 49: by Moloch (last edited Mar 16, 2011 06:40AM) (new)

Moloch I can't find the "Set shelf as genre" button anywhere: I don't know, maybe it's just for US users like the wishlist? (probably for language reasons, otherwise we would have a lot of duplicates, I guess)

ETA: Found it!

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments Moloch, I doubt that. Are you looking at the edit shelf pages like this one?
http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/edit_s...

(We're discussing translation issues in the librarian thread here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...)

« previous 1 3 4