Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Jumping for Joy! (Good News)

Comments (showing 101-150 of 168) (168 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Nice. Although, she wouldn't be someone I would go see, but I am still excited for you! :) How was it?

message 102: by Sashana (last edited Nov 15, 2011 10:29AM) (new)

Sashana It was okay. I'd probably give it 7/10. Her two opening acts were horrible…not my taste at all. And she took almost 2 hours to come on stage. I’m shocked by how many kids were there, I felt like I was in the middle of the world’s largest tween party lol. I would love for next concert to have more grown-ups. She doesn't really have music that you can jump around and dance to so I just sang along. The concert wasn't my first choice either. One of my close friends asked me and I said no but she bought me the ticket anyway so I just went.

Ideally I would love to see Adele in concert. Dreams...

message 103: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2222 comments I'm sorry the concert wasn't awesome, Sash! I'd sell one of my kidneys to see Adele in concert. I hope she recovers from her throat surgery soon and is able to start touring again once she's better.

message 104: by Sashana (new)

Sashana On the plus side I didn't have to pay for the ticket :D

Adele's concerts are always sold out. Hopefully she'll be in town next year (when I actually have some cash).

message 105: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2222 comments Seriously. I was keeping my eye on StubHub for her concerts and the prices were just too crazy for me to attempt it.

I just tried to get pre-sale tickets to Blake Shelton and could only find single seats available (was going to surprise my mom for her wedding anniversary gift). Grrrr. Have to wait for general public sale and try again.

message 106: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2222 comments I just scored those Blake tickets! Awesome seats too. My mommy is gonna sh*t bricks when I give them to her for her anniversary.

message 107: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Sans wrote: "I just scored those Blake tickets! Awesome seats too. My mommy is gonna sh*t bricks when I give them to her for her anniversary."

Wooohoooo! Good for you, Sans.

message 108: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Sorry it wasn't that great, Sashana.

Awesome, Sans! I wouldn't mind seeing him in concert. Although, I like looking at him more than listening to is music. His music is good too, just not as good as him. ;)

message 109: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 24, 2012 03:35PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Okay, one of the things I've always wanted was to see my name in a book. Well, it might not be my name, but my blog's name is in a book and I'm squeeing like a banshee. lol They didn't even tell me they were going to quote my review. I opened the book and there it was. How cool is that? I always wondered if they tell you ahead of time that they're going to do that. I've been envious of RT for some time. lol

message 110: by Sashana (new)

Sashana That's really spectacular, Lisa! Which book was it? Are you going to frame it?

message 111: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Congrats, Lisarenee!

message 112: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Dark Awakening (Dark Dynasties #1) by Kendra Leigh Castle is the book I reviewed and my review quote is in it's sequel, Midnight Reckoning (Dark Dynasties #2) by Kendra Leigh Castle.

message 113: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments That's so neat, Lisarenee! Do you happen to remember which New England state it the hero found the Seer in? (I'm doing the 50 state challenge.) Either way, I added the book.

message 114: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments I still have the book so I can look it up. Remind me if I don't get back to you tomorrow.

message 115: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments LMAO! Yeah, I'm real good at that ! Man-oh-man! I used to have the best short term memory. **sigh** Enjoy it while you're young. ☺

message 116: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I just got my first ever job interview (at a movie theater)!!!!!!! My interview is on Thursday and I'm really nervous. I'm excited and scared at the same time. What should I wear? What should I say? They didn't ask for a resume but should I bring one? Any advice?

message 117: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Wear new underwear, it will make you feel great. Wear your favorite color/favorite outfit, it will make you happy. Practice what you'll say if they ask you your weaknesses, and how to spin them to a positive. Update your resume; it couldn't hurt! Congrats, Sashana, and Good Luck!

message 118: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 03, 2012 07:58PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Wear a nice outfit--nothing ripped and nothing too tight or revealing.

Make sure you have the resume information ready if they need it--always best to be prepared just in case.

Be yourself and since a lot of movies are made from books you could let them know you're a moderator of an online book club with over 2,000 members. Even if they don't ask I'd try to casually (if possible) slip that in and talk about how you've been tracking which movies started off as books.

A friend and I went together to fill out job applications for our first job way back when. They asked, "What are you looking forward to most about this job?" She replied, "The breaks." Don't say that and you'll be ahead of some of the other applicants. lol

message 119: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments LOL!

message 120: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Thanks, ladies! Do you think jeans and a dressy top would work? Or should I go more dressed up. I don't want to overdress but I don't want to under-dress. (I'm not nervous at all).

I'll try to work NBRC in there. LOL, I wouldn't say that, Lisa.

message 121: by Rachel (last edited Apr 03, 2012 08:14PM) (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Sashana wrote: "I just got my first ever job interview (at a movie theater)!!!!!!! My interview is on Thursday and I'm really nervous. I'm excited and scared at the same time. What should I wear? What should I say..."

Amazing! Everybody has pretty much said everything I can think of. Maybe you could update your resume and mention the moderator thing on there. ;)

First impression is every thing so dress accordingly. Dress Pants--not too tight or a skirt--not too short (knee length), NO DENIM, dress shirt/blouse that is not lowcut. Minimal jewelry. Nothing flashy. Show some personality in your dress, but don't overdo it.

Some common questions and things to think about that I have had in my millions of interviews...

My strenghts/weaknesses
How long I plan on staying with the company
What are my scheduling conflicts
What are my personal/workplace values
What are my views on gossip
How would others describe me
What would my past/current boss sayh about me
What are my educational goals
Describe your work ethic
Do you like being part of a team
Do you get along with others
If I had an issue with a coworker what would I do and who would I tell
If I witnessed a employee stealing/giving discounts/giving away free stuff what would I do
What do you think is a reasonable amount of times to be late and days to be absent in a month time span
Any certain skills pertaining specifically to the job you are applying for

It is also a good idea to know a little about the company before you go for your interview. If this particular movie theater has a website look at it for a second. If they have a "goals" or "customer promise" section look over that to. They like it when you take a minute to become knowledgeable about the company. Sometimes they will ask you if you know anything about the company...where it started...etc. Obviously, if the info isn't on the website don't worry about it.

Lastly, think of some questions to ask them. Dress code, what does a normal weekly schedule look like, what hours does one typically work a day, paid bi-weekly/weekly, or whatever you can think of.

message 122: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Oh, and at the end don't forget to thank them for their time and shake their hand. And make eye contact beginning, during, and end. ;)

message 123: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Lisarenee wrote: "The breaks..."

LMAO. Love it!

message 124: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Thanks, Rachel, this is gold! I'll practice the questions and I'll do some research about the company.

message 125: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 223 comments Good luck, Sashana! First time job interviews are always scary. Let us know how it goes!

message 126: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2222 comments Good luck, Sash! I know you'll knock 'em dead. Well, hopefully not literally. ^_~

message 127: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Sashana wrote: "Thanks, Rachel, this is gold! I'll practice the questions and I'll do some research about the company."

No problem! Just don't memorize answers for the questions or they will think you are lying. Haha. Another one I thought of "Describe yourself in three words." That's the one I hate the most. :p

message 128: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments On my last job interview I was asked how I handled the last confrontation/disagreement with a co-worker I had. Hmmmm. Kind of telling, as the employer wanted people to handle their own tussles – which is not always feasible if you’re working with a wack-a-doodle. So, you can learn something about them too, from the questions they ask.

message 129: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments How did the interview go today, Sashana???

message 130: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Rachel wrote: "How did the interview go today, Sashana???"

I was really nervous and unfortunately I think it was obvious. I did shake their hands before and after the interview and I told them thank you for taking the time to interview me. They gave me a flyer in the waiting room which I ignored until one of the employees came up to me and suggested that I read it. And they did ask me questions about the flyer so thank god for that employee. Two people were interviewing me, one was really laid back but the other one barely acknowledged me which is horrible. The questions were really out there and I wish I had a time machine to go back so I could reanswer them. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the job but I'm glad I had the opportunity to go in.

message 131: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Sashana. Is this a job that you really want? If so, send a thank you letter or follow up email after a reasonable amount of time. (If you didn't get the job.) I think most of the time, they toss them. But I did get a job once after I sent a thank you letter/card. The person they did hire quit, so they got my card and called me.

message 132: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I really do want the job. It's hard to get a job in this economy but it's even harder to get a job when you have no work experience, which is the case for me. I'll definitely send a card on Wednesday if I haven't heard anything back from them.

message 133: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 223 comments I agree with Shay, definitely send a thank you letter/card. It shows that you are courteous and you took the time to do a little something extra. I hope you get the job!!

message 134: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I FINALLY got an A on a Spanish test this semester. They have all been high B's, but couldn't push it over the hump. I was starting to get really frustrated. Lol.

I also went and saw Titanic today. My mother and I had been planning on seeing it for weeks and finally got the chance. It was just how I remembered it 15 years ago when we saw it eight times! It was really fun to esperience something like that again with my best friend. Definitely one of my favorite mother-daughter moments. :)

message 135: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Apr 14, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments @Rachel ~ Yay!!

After 8.5 yrs and thousands of bucks in research my brother's book is being published! Yay! I'm so excited for him!! I'll be doing a review, but he doesn't want it out until after June 1st since it's due to be published late June, early July. My husband asked me if I would be biased in my review. Good question. I'll try not to be. My brother's a pretty good writer though. It's just that the book is non-fiction, not my usual genre of book, but it sounds interesting.

message 136: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Carol ~ I'm A Voracious Reader wrote: "@Rachel ~ Yay!!

After 8.5 yrs and thousands of bucks in research my brother's book is being published! Yay! I'm so excited for him!! I'll be doing a review, but he doesn't want it out until afte..."

Awesome! That's so exciting. What is it about?

message 137: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Congrats, Rachel!

That's awesome, Carol!

message 138: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2222 comments I just got official word that I was accepted to NDNU's Professional Studies Business Administration BS program. I start in August. Very excited but very nervous too. It's been a long time since I took serious classes. It's going to be a challenge, but I'm determined to make it work.

message 139: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments That is awesomesauce, Sans!

message 140: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Sans wrote: "I just got official word that I was accepted to NDNU's Professional Studies Business Administration BS program. I start in August. Very excited but very nervous too. It's been a long time since I t..."

Woot Woot! That's huge news, Shay. Congrats and good luck. I am sure you will do well.

message 141: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments That's seriously awesome Sans, huge congrats!

message 142: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments I can't help sitting here doing a little joy dance today. I was invited to a phone meeting by my boss, I listened, I contributed and then I had a question. My boss ignored my question, calling it an "exception on an exception", and that we'd deal with it if it actually happened.

I said nothing and just rolled my eyes, knowing it was anything but an exception. However, her poo-pooing of my question led 3 other people to say "but boss, that actually is a really good question, we need a procedure for it." So she was forced to address it and it made me have little bubbles of joy in my soul lol.

message 143: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments **hee hee** Good for you, Stefani!

message 144: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2222 comments Thanks guys!

It's always nice when your contribution is validated. Good job, Stefani!

message 145: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments I just got my first ever follower for my blog! And first 3 likes on my posts! Geez, I shoulda been blogging about crappy movies I see all along ;)

message 146: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Good for you, Stefani! Link your blog and I'll follow you for sure.

message 147: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Sans wrote: "I just got official word that I was accepted to NDNU's Professional Studies Business Administration BS program. I start in August. Very excited but very nervous too. It's been a long time since I t..."

Congrats Sans! Where is NDNU?

message 148: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1435 comments Awesome Stefani, and cudos to you for having the courage to have a blog. Putting your writing out their for all to see can be difficult, especially when its your opinions, thoughts, and feelings.

I will follow you as well!

message 149: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 30, 2012 05:42AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Stephani, You should post your blog in the blog promotion section of this group and not just here so others can join. We have a pretty good amount of bloggers in our group. Also, check out my groups area to see which groups to join to connect with other bloggers. They usually have blog or making connections or something similar in them.

message 150: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Okay I looked up NDNU and it stands for Notre Dame de Namur University, right? Are you going full time?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Land of Painted Caves (other topics)
Silent Partner (other topics)
Guarding a Notorious Lady (other topics)
The Outlaw Bride (other topics)
The Ideal Man (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jennifer Chase (other topics)
Richard Paul Evans (other topics)