The Novella Club discussion

Just for fun > The Name Game

Comments (showing 401-450 of 707) (707 new)    post a comment »

Hayes (Hayes13) Jeff wrote: "3 weeks in Europe! The kettle was on, the cakes were made...but no knock on the door! "

Yeah, she didn't come visit me either. Next trip!

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Hayes wrote: "Jeff wrote: "3 weeks in Europe! The kettle was on, the cakes were made...but no knock on the door! "

Yeah, she didn't come visit me either. Next trip!"

UK or Italy -- they ARE both on the list. You got any cakes, Hayes? ;)

Jeannette (Jvmimo) SarahC wrote: "Maybe something will come along to take the store's place, Jeannette. Like Ivan mentioned, maybe at least a good used book store to fill the void. Our Book Gallery store has just closed here -- a ..."

We got a Borders store a few years back when we reached a population figure over 50,000 (such a big town!). I think Borders imploded due to poor management, especially in their online business. Too many stores, prices too high, whatever. I will miss browsing and buying there.

Hayes (Hayes13) Jeannette wrote: "You got any cakes, Hayes? ;) "

You know I do!

Jeannette (Jvmimo) And wine? (I'm such a greedy-guts, today! lol)

I do have to plan some sort of trip for March, for FIL's 80th birthday. Either a river cruise or a (shudder) bus tour. Or maybe just a cottage near the sea...

Hayes (Hayes13) Jeannette wrote: "And wine? "

Ça va sans dire!

message 408: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) | 49 comments Ivan wrote: "I had fake crows all over the living room and some ghosts and spiders and gravestones - we had fun - and the guys LOVED the stories"

Oh, Ivan - I wish I was a member of your land-based book group! Sounds very entertaining! Reminds me of Grigg in The Jane Austen Book Club when he decorates his house with skeletons and cobwebs for the Northanger Abbey discussion! :)

message 409: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
Lois wrote: "Ivan wrote: "I had fake crows all over the living room and some ghosts and spiders and gravestones - we had fun - and the guys LOVED the stories"

Oh, Ivan - I wish I was a member of your land-base..."

We've been meeting for twelve years and were even written up in Bookmarks Magazine. We have lots of fun together and have read some great (and not so great) books.

message 410: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
Jeff wrote: "Good work on the Chalet School...just one of those odd authors I know, still very collecatble, if you come across one pre 1960 for under a tenner, grab it and get it on ABE!

Borders are long gon..."

Do you happen to know the name of that story Jeff? I have one slim volume of her stories and that doesn't sound like any of those collected here.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) New Title:

"Burning Academy Housewife"

Laura Barbara Cartland but they're plenty of possible combinations with these words. I didn't know you like romance Jeff.

The Dream and the Glory

Revenge is Sweet

The Drums of Love

message 413: by Jeannette (last edited Jul 22, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

Jeannette (Jvmimo) I sure didn't peruse the Barbara Cartland titles looking for book titles. ;) Good one, Laura!

Laura Jeff wrote: "Shannon Hale

Enna Burning
Princess Academy
The Actor and the Housewife

The Du Maurier short was called 'The Breakthrough'...anyone read it?

no, not yet Jeff.

Laura Jeannette wrote: "I sure didn't peruse the Barbara Cartland titles looking for book titles. ;) Good one, Laura!"

It was an easy one Jeannette.

Hayes (Hayes13) And as a punishment, Jeff, I will force you to look at this picture. Just be glad I didn't post it to your profile... bwa-hahaha!

Hayes (Hayes13) Oh dear... the one on wikipee is even worse!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia...

message 418: by Ivan (last edited Jul 23, 2011 04:17AM) (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
Hayes wrote: "Oh dear... the one on wikipee is even worse!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia..."

So, why the picture of Dame Edna? :0)

message 419: by Jeannette (last edited Jul 23, 2011 07:39AM) (new)

Jeannette (Jvmimo) So, that's who Dame Edna is channeling! You guys are killing me so early in the a.m.!!

description

http://www.dame-edna.com/EdnaPink1.jpg

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Jeff wrote: "BARBARA CARTLAND!

My reputation is RUINED!!!!!!

But shows how the game works...my actual thought was Peter Guralnick:"

lol!

message 421: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
I'll bet Barry Humphries is the better writer.

Laura Jeff wrote: "BARBARA CARTLAND!

My reputation is RUINED!!!!!!

yes indeed Jeff, bad choice, bad choice, it wasn't my fault!!! LOL

Hayes (Hayes13) Ivan wrote: "I'll bet Barry Humphries is the better writer."

I've never had the guts to read a Cartland... but I bet that Humphries has her beat hands down.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) He's got a better hair stylist, that's for sure!

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Check out his writing:

My Gorgeous Life by Dame Edna Everage

Laura oh dear!!!!!!

message 427: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
"The Advetures of the Bicycle Rider on the Flying Trapeze"

Jeannette (Jvmimo) You need to get out more, Jeff. You're rambling.....

Jeannette (Jvmimo) First pass I drew a blank, Lois. I'll try again later. Two Christie titles, but Cupid has me stuck.

message 431: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) | 49 comments It's certainly not Mills and Boon vampire anything! Nor is it Christie...
Anyone else want to venture a guess, or should I give a clue...?

Jeannette (Jvmimo) I'm up for a clue. Laura is on vacation -- where's everybody else?

message 433: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) | 49 comments I 'hope' that it isn't too difficult...

message 434: by Ivan (last edited Aug 02, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
Anthony Hope

The Secret of the Tower
Frivolous Cupid
The King's Mirror

"Rabbit Pie and Pickles"

Good one Lois, it took me forever, but you finally gave us "hope."

message 435: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
"Rabbit Pie and Pickles"

Hello? Where are my friends? Did the Child Catcher get you?

Jeannette (Jvmimo) I missed out on the last one -- you got it while I was at work. I was just waiting for your new title.

I have to say that Goodreads has one of the worst search engines on the planet. Try to search for pickles, if you don't believe me! (I do not want to link to the first title in the search results list.) lol

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Have to post a retraction: This time I got Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs at the top of the list. The search engine isn't just bad, it's randomly bad.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Ivan wrote: ""Rabbit Pie and Pickles"

Hello? Where are my friends? Did the Child Catcher get you?"

An easy one from the master!

Beatrix Potter

The Tale of Peter Rabbit
The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
The Tale of Ginger and Pickles

Jeannette (Jvmimo) "Knight Wish Chronicles"

message 440: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) | 49 comments (Well done, Ivan!)

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Anybody working on my title? Anyone want a clue?

message 442: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
Yes, a clue please.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) manga

message 444: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
What is manga? Has it something to do Japanese animation or graphic novels? I'm stumped.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) manga is Japanese comics, and anime is Japanese animated films (animation = anime). I enjoy both, very much.

I found my title by searching for "Knight manga" but here's the answer:

CLAMP

Magic Knight Rayearth I, Volume 1
Wish, Volume 1
Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE: Dimension Trap!, Vol. 28

I am currently reading Kobato, Volume 1 by CLAMP and just finished Clover (Omnibus Edition) by CLAMP. They are well known for their beautiful art style.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Thanks for trying, Ivan. :) I thought I would introduce some of my favorite books into the game.

message 447: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 1717 comments Mod
There are so many and by so many different authors that I got kinda confused. The art is beautiful.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) If you ever want to try anime I recommend Millennium Actress

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291350/

Being a movie buff, you might enjoy it. Netflix used to have it, but it got removed from the lists. I bought it because I like it so much. At least you can watch the trailer on Netflix.

Jeannette (Jvmimo) Manga, my little addiction. Does your co-worker have emo hair?

Happy to oblige.

"Kissing Queen's Stranger"

message 450: by Mark (new)

Mark (pericles) Hi all. Have just joined the Novella Group and have stumbled on this fiendish game. Fabulous. Though i have known some, many have passed me by. I am a tad reassured to hear that some of you use the search engine to get the answer, prior to reading that I had thought I had encountered a bunch of total literary gods. No idea about this one by the way