Mythic Fiction discussion

Promote Your Book/Blog/Website Here

Comments (showing 1-50 of 235) (235 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Rora (last edited Aug 22, 2011 07:12PM) (new)

Rora I'm asking that those who want to promote/advertise their book (or blog, website, etc.) to please do so only in this thread. Otherwise the messageboard becomes too overwhelmed with ads. Thanks : )

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Stevens (TomStevens) | 1 comments Hi Rora,

Lilith: The Last Temptation of Adam

This book is currently in advanced pre-production as a feature film.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lilith-Tempta...

message 3: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Wright (sjwrightauthor) | 1 comments Hi everybody! I love the name of this group! I never thought to call it "Mythic Fiction". Very catchy!

Anyway, I'm S.J. Wright. I'm an author and stay-at-home Mom. I've written the first book in a new "mythic fiction" series called "The Vampire's Warden".

The Vampire's Warden

Check it out if you get a chance! Thanks!

message 4: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Flora (JohnnyFlora) | 2 comments My name is Johnny Flora and I am the author of "The Spell of Zalanon" which explores ancient Egyptian Spells and culture. The novel is purely fiction but refers to numerous Egyptian folklore and ancient beliefs. here is a link to my Amazon page where you can view a synopsis and read some reviews if you feel inclined to do so. It will be my pleasure to discuss the novel and I will be honored if you read it and spread the word. My original music is also available to listen to for free on Reverbnation. Ciao [Jersey] Johnny Flora
http://www.amazon.com/Spell-Zalanon-A...

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 39 comments We're going to be on the radio!!! That is to say, my co author and I, discussing the research behind our trilogy: Children of Tantalus: Niobe and Pelops, The Road to Thebes: Niobe and Amphion and Arrows of Artemis: Niobe and Chloris. I'm posting details below, but you can also find out more at our website,
Tapestry of Bronze.

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

APOLLO ON TRIAL: MASS MURDER IN ANCIENT GREECE

Have a pair of gods been falsely accused of murder for more than 3000 years? The twin Olympian gods Apollo and Artemis have long been assumed to be the reason behind the deaths of the Niobids, thirteen of the fourteen children of Niobe, a queen of Thebes in Bronze Age Greece. But what if the deaths were not due to supernatural causes, but have a more sordid and more plausible explanation? That means that someone has gotten away with murder for more than three millennia.

Victoria Grossack and Alice Underwood, coauthors of the Tapestry of Bronze series including a trilogy based on the life and myths associated with Niobe, will be the featured guests on Angelia Miller’s Adrenaline Living Blog Talk radio show on March 21. During the show they will discuss the myths surrounding the deaths of the Niobids as well as the legends and stories connected to Niobe’s closest relatives, such as her father, King Tantalus of Lydia, and her brother Pelops, for whom the Peloponnesus, the peninsula of southern Greece, was named. They will discuss their research and their travels and the most likely suspects behind the mass murder.

Here'e the link to the show...

at the Adrenaline Living Network.

message 6: by Eden (new)

Eden Tyler (EdenTyler) | 3 comments My urban fantasy/mythic fiction (I say it's both in my bio on my publisher's site) was just released less than a week ago on Kindle and should be out in a few days in paperback on Amazon.

It's a dark UF about faeries that draws directly from Celtic mythology. I used some traditional names, but others I used the research and put my own spin on it, which is what Charles DeLint and the others do -- use mythology and create your own world and characters with it.

Anyway, the book is The Abandoned Edge of Avalon, also available on Amazon.co.uk
The Abandoned Edge of Avalon by Eden Tyler
Feel free to check out a sample and see if it's something you might like :)

message 7: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Slade (MarleneKSlade) | 2 comments Magic and supernatural stories have always had a way of adding mystery and fascination to the every day world. Many dream of possessing the ability to harbor great powers that can create what they most desire and un-create what they wish never to exist. A witch born into the bloodline of a centuries old lord of the underworld can do just that, but not just any witch. This is a one of kind witch born male. This male is not a warlock, wizard, magician or any other practitioner of this basic sort. This male witch need not dabble in potion mixing, require the use of wands or fabricate illusions to work magic. This male witch need only be born as prophesized in order to defeat a mighty and ever-vigilant savior that has awaited his coming throughout the ages.

The Celestial Selenite Scry is the lunar sphere that portends the birth of this master male of magic and power. This male is classed to be the perfection of an old and new domination. A witch predestined to obliterate entire worlds.

The story of this destroyer of creation begins on a stormy November night in 1796. A female subservient of the evil underworld lord is expected to give birth to this son of death. Her family bloodline carries the key to his making. His pre-eminent release into the world is severed, but not prevented when two males are unexpectedly born instead of one. What follows will alter the duty of immortal enemies bonded in blood as fraternal twins and affect the fate of every existence in the known and unknown universe, forever.

The Celestial Selenite Scry is a dark, daring, and dramatic telling about two predominate icons originating from opposite realms located above and below the boundaries of Earth. The view through The Celestial Selenite Scry travels a two hundred year span through the bloodline, which links the destiny of these formidable rivals reformed as brothers. Their undying and adjoined existence weaves through a haunting foretelling of the imminent future, while revisiting an unforgettable past.

~ This Novel Contains Illicit & Explicit Sex and Adult Subject Matter.~
~Not for readers under 18 years of age ~(less)
The Celestial Selenite Scry

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (RobertClear) | 4 comments I'd like to promote The Cambridge List, an ever-so-English dark comedy about Greek gods and murder amidst the ivory towers.

James Connor thinks that murdering his former professors in cold blood is rather a bad idea. Unfortunately his head has been commandeered by a murderous family of Greek gods, so he doesn’t have a say in the matter. With Hera and Aphrodite at each other’s throats and Dionysos failing to keep order, James’s brain has become a cosmic conflict zone, and he’s worried they’ll leave it in ruins. There’s only one way out: he has to go from socially inept young man to slick sociopath fast. If only he wasn’t so squeamish about mass slaughter.

Follow the world’s least menacing serial killer on his awkwardly murderous journey through the little town of Cambridge, where ancient rituals, scheming academics and divine politics collide. And where murder has consequences unforeseen even by the gods themselves…

www.the-cambridge-list.blogspot.com/

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Meister (mischiefmeister) | 2 comments Please check out my book "Craving"
[image error]
and its sequel "The One We Feed"
[image error] on online bookstores!

These books unify a broad spectrum of mythologies from Hindu/Buddhist tradition, to Gilgamesh, to more current myths about Vlad the Impaler and Christ. There's monsters, supernatural elements, philosophy, immortals and even some historical figures,

Also holding two contests, one for twitter and one that is review based!
Rules here

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann Nyland (DrANyland) | 3 comments Hedgeland is my first novel. I'm a former college professor of Classics and my previous books are non-fiction. The Hedgeland setting is Celtic history and ancient Greek such as the Delphic Oracle and the Eleusinian Mysteries.
http://www.amazon.com/Hedgeland-Hedge...

message 11: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 73 comments Ann wrote: "Hedgeland is my first novel. I'm a former college professor of Classics and my previous books are non-fiction. The Hedgeland setting is Celtic history and ancient Greek such as the Delphic Oracle a..."

This sounds fascinating Ann. It is on my TBR mountain. Did you discover in your time travels what was in the kiste or the kalathos?

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Nyland (DrANyland) | 3 comments That's good to hear, Kernos. No sadly, I did not, but if I can find an Anaktoron, I'll let you know at once. I have taken some leave with the Kiste and transformed it somewhat. It is the focus of the book.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crandall (MelissaCrandall) | 3 comments Kristina wrote: "Please check out my book "Craving"

and its sequel "The One We Feed"
on online bookstores!

These books unify a broad spectrum of mythologies from Hindu/Buddhist tradition, to Gilgamesh, to mor..."

GREAT covers!

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crandall (MelissaCrandall) | 3 comments My book "Weathercock" is now available on Smashwords and via my website (www.melissacrandall.com). You can read a blurb and see the cover (and reviews!) here on Goodreads.

message 15: by Dorina (new)

Dorina Stanciu (cinderelle) | 1 comments Hello everyone,
My name is Dorina and The Girl of Draculais my recently published romantic suspense. It is based on a legend about Vlad The Impaler - Dracula - having a gypsy mistress. She is actually a witch, the person responsible for selling his soul to Hell.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Girl-of-Dra...

message 16: by D.j. (new)

D.j. Dalasta | 1 comments Hi all,
My name is DJ Dalasta, I recently published The Keepers of the Rose on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
It's about the intriguing history of Oak Island and how it relates to the upcoming 2012 controversy.

Here's quick teaser trailer I put out on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmeJKC...

Thanks for checking it out,

The Keepers of the Rose

message 17: by Stel (last edited Apr 02, 2011 08:25PM) (new)

Stel Pavlou (stelpavlou) | 1 comments Hi everyone,

anyone who's read my stuff knows that it's stuffed full of mythology. Usually the historical kind, rather than the paranormal.

My new one out in the US on Kindle and Nook is Gene:

Here's the blurb.

"A genre-bending tour-de-force.

Part contemporary, hard boiled detective story and part historical epic, Gene is a modern myth. A tale of two mortal enemies reincarnated multiple times over the course of 3,000 years. From New York, to Byzantium, from ancient Rome to the palace of Knossos and the Trojan War. Locked in an endless cycle of revenge for an act of war whose victims have long since turned to dust.

As ever, Pavlou takes us on a jaw-dropping journey through science and history, exploring the disturbing implications of genetic memory, and striking at the heart of what it means to be human. What influences us more - nature or nurture?"

http://amzn.to/fy3Tmd

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott Robinson (ScottBRobinson) | 2 comments My new Kindle ebook collection of short stories "Divine City: Bangkok Fantasies" explores classic Western myths in a modern day urban Eastern setting. Free podcast excerpts are also available at ScottBRobinson.net

Divine City: Bangkok Fantasies

message 19: by Susan (last edited Apr 07, 2011 07:19PM) (new)

Susan | 1 comments Beauty- By paige Love Rose

This book was fun and it was also a mistery! I loved it. It kind of sends a messege to everyone too. The funny thing is that the Author was really young. I think there is going to be a sequal to this book because the ending was a mistery too.BeautyBeauty

message 20: by Joan (new)

Joan Holub (Joan_Holub) | 2 comments Goddess Girls: Athena the Wise releases this week. Blog tour and giveaways: http://joanholub.blogspot.com The series is a modern spin on classic myths that follows the ins and outs of divine social life at Mount Olympus Academy. (ages 8-12, Aladdin paperbacks) Series order:
#1 Athena the Brain
#2 Persephone the Phony
#3 Aphrodite the Beauty
#4 Artemis the Brave
#5 Athena the Wise (April 2011)
#6 Aphrodite the Diva (August 2011)
7 & 8 to come in 2012

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 39 comments Just promoting my latest blog entry, "Facts in Fiction," at http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott Robinson (ScottBRobinson) | 2 comments I'm trying to develop a readership and some frank GoodReads reviews for my new eBook: Divine City: Bangkok Fantasies.

So I'm offering free downloads of the title from SmashWords. Just enter the coupon code "UB62B" to download the work for free. There are many eBook formats available. The offer is good through May 5th.

Again, this is a collection of short fantastical tales set in modern Bangkok. I think there is something strange contained within for everybody...

Many thanks to readers who are curious about new writers!

message 23: by Rora (new)

Rora Just a reminder...if you want to promote/advertise your book please do so only in this thread. Thanks.

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess (JazzY123) I just finished writing a short novel calld Shadows fall about a month ago- need to take it to the publishers -.- want to start anothrrrr one LOL :) im 13 btw

message 25: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Staniforth (flowforth) | 5 comments At the Gates of Dawn: A Collection of Writings by Ella Young

This is the real deal - not fluffy neo-Celtic. This new Collected Writings of Ella Young contains selections from many of her previous volumes of stories and poems. Revered in both Ireland and California, she will appeal to fans of fantasy, myth, folk, and fairytale.

message 26: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Douglas (ValerieDouglasakaVJDevereaux) | 2 comments If you like mythic stories like the Lord of the Rings then you'll love my series The Coming Storm. The Coming Storm by Valerie Douglas The Coming Storm Book One Setting Boundaries - a novella by Valerie Douglas Setting Boundaries Not Magic Enough by Valerie Douglas and Not Magic Enough by Valerie Douglas.

If you like contemporary fantasy/horror and Egyptian Gods, try Heart of the Gods by Valerie Douglas

message 27: by J Leigh (new)

J Leigh Bralick (JLeighBralick) | 4 comments Hi all! I'm J. Leigh Bralick, and I just released my first novel, a YA fantasy titled Down a Lost Road.

Here is the short blurb:

The way her summer vacation is beginning might be everything 16-year-old Merelin Lindon ever imagined - in her wildest daydreams. Without any warning, she finds herself drawn into a world somehow connected with Earth's mythical past...and her own. But when she finds herself the target of a terrifying hunt, the once pleasant dream becomes a nightmare...

The novel incorporates the myth of Atlantis, including a bit of an appearance by Tolkien's take on the myth in the The Silmarillion.

I'm excited to see a whole group devoted to mythic fiction. How very cool!

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 39 comments We're announcing the winning poems for the Tapestry of Bronze's Odes to Olympians spring 2011 contest. If you want to see some fine poetry dedicated to the Olympian god Apollo, click on the link below:

http://www.tapestryofbronze.com/OdeAp...

message 29: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Flora (JohnnyFlora) | 2 comments Hi , my novel "The Spell of Zalanon" is currently in the Book Haven group August 2nd group read polls. Show some love and vote for the Spell of Zalanon...Much obliged...Johnny flora

message 30: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Douglas (ValerieDouglasakaVJDevereaux) | 2 comments I'm having a Release party on Facebook for my epic fantasy The Coming Storm! With a giveaway...

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...

message 31: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Garth | 4 comments Hi everyone, My book Losing Beauty is out in eversion on Kindle and Nook right now and will be out in print in the fall.

It's loosely based on the myth of Persephone and Hades. You can check it out at these links:

http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Beauty-e...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Losi...

Here's the book blurb:

Child abuse, cross-dressing, theft, adultery—people in Persey Campbell’s town have terrible secrets and she is the unfortunate repository for all of them. What she can’t figure out is why everyone is so desperate to tell her their worst secrets.

Daniel Hartnett is a lawyer who has it all. People think he’s lucky. What they don’t understand is Daniel has a crap-o-meter that lets him hear the meanings behind other people’s words. He used to think his crap-o-meter was a gift from God. It made him successful with his career and women. Except now he’d like to meet someone and settle down and he can’t turn his crap-o-meter off. As long as it’s on, there are no surprises, no rush of anticipation and no falling in love.

When Daniel meets Persey he discovers the first girl he’s ever met who is immune to his special talent. The only problem is someone else discovered Persey first and is hell-bent on claiming her as his own. Haden is the king of the Underworld with a plan to make Persey his immortal queen. What Haden doesn’t plan on is Persey’s unique ability to compel secrets and how far the people who love Persey will go to protect her from the inner darkness that threatens to destroy her soul.

Thanks so much for looking!!

message 32: by Patti (last edited Jun 18, 2011 05:43AM) (new)

Patti Roberts | 1 comments Hi everyone, (99c this weekend)
http://theangelsarehere.wordpress.com...

Many thanks for the opportunity to get to know you all. Patti - Australia

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 39 comments For those who are interested in writing poetry, consider the contest at my website:

The Tapestry of Bronze is announcing the subject of the fall, 2011 Odes to Olympians poetry contest. This time we are honoring Artemis (Diana). For details, click on:

www.tapestryofbronze.com/OdeForm.html

And, if you're interested in writng prose, you might want to check out my blog, explaining how the desires of your characters drive the plot:

http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 39 comments Every now and then a review comes in that is so wonderful that you have to share. This is what an English professor at Truman University had to say about our Greek-mythology trilogy (Children of Tantalus: Niobe and Pelops The Road to Thebes: Niobe and Amphion and Arrows of Artemis: Niobe and Chloris):

The result is a world we can fully inhabit, as compelling as Tolkien's but more rooted in actual history. The end result is a spellbinding entertainment which nonetheless reminds us -- in the spirit of Robert Graves's I, Claudius -- that lust for power, and desire, have complicated lives long before our time.

To see the entire review, go here: www.tapestryofbronze.com/ChildrenofTa...

Being grouped with Tolkien and Graves is simply awesome... The review is now available at The Copperfield Review, Summer 2011 edition, at
www.copperfieldreview.com/reviews.html

message 35: by John (new)

John Rhodes (John_D_Rhodes) | 3 comments Hi All

As you can see I'm a writer, anything with a touch of humour, usually a little far fetched, love peoople to visit me on my blog:

http://johndrhodesauthor.wordpress.com

(Got a short story I'd like you to read - Pt 1, the story of Reginald, a poor lost soul who meets a strange new 'friend' - PtII coming when I get to about 300 views)

Love people to add me as a friend here as well and get back to me!

John D. Rhodes

message 36: by J.S. (last edited Jul 31, 2011 02:23PM) (new)

J.S. Dunn (httpwwwjsdunnbookscom) | 7 comments The Boyne complex of passage mounds in Ireland is older than Stonehenge and older than the Pyramids. For centuries it was rumored the great mounds were connected with the sun, moon and astronomy. Excavations in the latter part of the 20th century showed this to be true.

Why were these great mounds abandoned at around 2200 BCE?

Bending the Boyne: A novel of ancient Ireland;

first place, historical fiction, Next Generation Indie Awards 2011. "Thought-provoking and entertaining" -- the Irish News ( Belfast), June 30 2011.

message 37: by John (new)

John Rhodes (John_D_Rhodes) | 3 comments Hi all

AS well as my book I have this wonderful Blog (I know I'm biased but hey...)

My NEW blog looks at life though quirky lenses! I write 'faction' and 'fiction' with a touch of the absurd, I have regular updates (currently running my short story - Reginald - a chap with a past and strange new friend). Please call in at:

http://johndrhodesauthor.wordpress.com

Have fun! I know some of you have visited so thanks for that, I welcome anyone who calls by!

message 38: by August (new)

August V. Fahren (August_V_Fahren) Hi. I'm August and I wrote a Dark Fantasy Fairy Tale called Thursday Thistle. It is now available for Kindle.

Current stats: #11,322 overall, #2 Fairy Tales, #60 Dark Fantasy (on sale for only $0.99)

I'm also going to be giving away free copies (up to 1,000) to celebrate the release since it is my first bit of fiction I've put into the world.

----------------------------------

Description:

Lethe: le the noun 'le-the

1: A dark, forgotten land from which all of our fairy tales originated.

2: A Post apocalyptic realm of twisted, magic wielding royalty locked in battle with a race of technologically superior Guardians (who seek to snuff out magic forever).

3: The world Thursday Thistle has journeyed to in order to locate Princess Monday, one of seven paranormal princesses each named after a day of the week.

In a world where speaking with "wise men" is more like dealing with tech support and romance can be deadly Thursday will have to contend with: the wicked cannibal queen, a zombie grizzly bear, wee werewolves, robot laser-shooting mermaids, a steampunk tortoise, and a Zen archer monkey.

Additionally, she will meet the Schumacher Hound and find a haunted Halloween cuckoo clock temple and that's just the beginning in this tale of whimsical wandering in the dreamlike tradition of Alice in Wonderland.

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 39 comments There are two things I want to announce. First is the Tapestry of Bronze's semiannual Odes to Olympians poetry contest. This one is dedicated to Artemis (Diana). If you're feeling creative go to www.tapestryofbronze.com/OdeForm.html

And if you'd like to know what it's lie to judge such a contest, check out my current blog:

message 40: by Natasha (new)

Natasha McNeely (NatashaMcNeely) | 10 comments Hey there. I'm Natasha and I'm new to this group. I have a blog over at http://natashamcneely.wordpress.com which I use for blogging about writing, mythology and day-to-day events that take place!

I post three times a week on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

message 41: by John (new)

John Rhodes (John_D_Rhodes) | 3 comments Short Story Update! Thought I'd upload Pt 3 and 4 this time so there is a bigger chunk of Buster (the dog)and Edgar (the Wizard type chap)! Please have a read - http://johndrhodesauthor.wordpress.com - !

What peril are the pair in, will they escape and who are what is after them? What mystery and mayhem awaits, will I get my cd player to work so that I can play some suitably sinister music as I write the ending?

Have fun and I look forward to your responses!

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris Wind (chriswind) UnMythed - This collection of poems reveals the myths within the myths revealed: what might Pandora, Circe, Penelope, Eurydice, Persephone, the Gorgons, and others have thought and done if they had not been the creations of a chauvinist patriarchy?

For poetry fans, especially feminist; of interest to scholars of Greek and Roman mythology; a good resource for English teachers who teach a Mythology unit.

Contents: Gaia, Narcissus, Pandora, Daphne, Daedalus, Ismene, Poseidon, Athena and Orestes, Circe, The Muses, Omphale, Hyacinth, Philomel, Clytie, Eurydice, The Danaids, Amphion, Galatea, Gorgons, Dido, Menelaus, Psyche, Hylas, Atalanta, Penelope, Jason, Macha, Penthisilea, Persephone, Adonis, Ares, Acrisius, Sirens, Iphegenia, Chryseis and Briseis, Thetis, Chiron, Artemis, Bellerophon, Sisyphus, Prometheus

UnMythed

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (VictoriaGrossack) | 39 comments My new blog post is a rant about the grammatical boo-boos that irk me most. Come around and vent at

message 44: by Karla (last edited Oct 13, 2011 11:08AM) (new)

Karla (mistressoftheviolin) | 1 comments Hi, my name is Karla and I am a new member to Goodreads and so far it's great! I write book reviews and reviews on pretty much anything I like or find interesting, sooo that being said, check out my blog at www.mistressoftheviolin.wordpress.com/

message 45: by Gina - (new)

Gina -  | 5 comments I've finally started a book blog last night!
http://behindamillionandonepages.blog...
Thoughts and suggestions welcome

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Hope you guys will check this out. Just follow the link to the giveaway page...

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

description

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Gina wrote: "I've finally started a book blog last night!
Thoughts and suggestions welcome"

This looks really cool : ))

message 48: by Gina - (new)

Gina -  | 5 comments Sean wrote: "Gina wrote: "I've finally started a book blog last night!
Thoughts and suggestions welcome"

This looks really cool : ))"

Thank you! I'm now in two of your contests. One that's linked here and the second for the guess the final word count!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the support! Really appreciated : )

message 50: by Gina - (new)

Gina -  | 5 comments Thanks Sean and Rebecca. Really appreciated! I wanted to hit it all head first :)

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Vampire's Warden (other topics)
Arrows of Artemis: Niobe and Chloris (other topics)
Children of Tantalus: Niobe and Pelops (other topics)
The Road to Thebes: Niobe and Amphion (other topics)
The Abandoned Edge of Avalon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

John D. Rhodes (other topics)
Nadia Scrieva (other topics)
Jason Kurt Easter (other topics)
Alice Underwood (other topics)
Rosie Morgan (other topics)