Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > movie site similar to goodreads

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a website similar to Goodreads, but for movies? I like the idea of being able to create shelves for books, but it would also be good to list movies one has seen according to their genre.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments I've been a member of Flixster.com for several years now. You can make movie lists, write reviews, friend other film fans, and exchange messages with them. I generally post my reviews both here and there. Unfortunately it doesn't have a message board like goodreads, though. And the administrators have gotten really sloppy about who gets on, so now there are tons and tons of people on there who have no interest in films and likely just did a data dump into all the social networking sites.

A friend told me about something called openfilm.com, but I haven't been there yet so I can't recommend it.

Hope this helps!

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther Greenleaf | 65 comments Sean wrote: "I was wondering if anyone knew of a website similar to Goodreads, but for movies? I like the idea of being able to create shelves for books, but it would also be good to list movies one has seen ac..."

1. I hang out quite a bit on the movie section of Lists of Bests:

http://www.listsofbests.com/lists/hom...

You can make lists of movies or adopt other folks' lists. The unique feature of this site is that you can check off the movies you've seen (books you've read, etc).

There are several thousand lists, ranging in length from a handful of movies to several thousand. 90% of them are stuff like "Movies I saw in 2007," "Movies I want to see," "My DVD collection," "My favorite movies," stuff like that-- to which you can add your own if you like. There are also awards lists, Bests lists from Ebert, Halliwell, the Guardian, etc, and some useful subject /genre/geographic lists -- but you have to hunt for them.

You can also comment on movies by clicking on them.
Despite the offputting consumerist language, I've become quite an addict of this site.

2. Mubi http://mubi.com/ (formerly Auteurs) is a site for serious cineastes. It has pay-for-view movies (price varies and some shorts are free), but the majority of films listed are not available to watch. It keeps up with worldwide film festivals. There are lots of lists, but I haven't figured out how to navigate or search for them. One can create a list, comment on a movie, or become a fan of a movie or list. There's also an "I want to watch" thing you can click on to add to a list of things that sound interesting but aren't available. I periodically check my "want to watch" list against Netflix to see if any are on NF's radar yet.

3. You can review movies on the Internet Movie Database http://www.imdb.com/ . You can also create lists by clicking on "My Movies" at the bottom of the page (after logging in, of course). I guess you can create lists by genre or whatever; I haven't tried this.

Hope this helps.

message 4: by Tom (last edited Mar 14, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Tom | 3615 comments I have had good fun on Mubi, but I don't know if I'd recommend Mubi. I've been on it for a couple of years, back when it was called The Auteurs, and have found the meanness and spitefulness in the forums on that site to be unlike anything I've ever enountered online.

Yes. Really.

message 5: by Selen (last edited Mar 14, 2011 09:05PM) (new)

Selen I use http://www.icheckmovies.com to keep a track of the movies I watch. It's handy and when you can't find the movie that you'd like to check in (which does not happen often), all you have to do is to type in (copy/paste basically) the IMDB url of the movie and they process it the next day. They provide users with various lists based on genres, years, critics' picks, awards, etc. and I find them very useful. It is not possible to create your own lists yet (except your likes & dislikes), but they are still developing the website and I'm expecting them to add that feature soon. You can be friends with people but it's not possible to see their updates unless you go to their personal pages (which I find very odd). If you're looking for a place that you could also socialize with other people, exchange views etc. this is not the right place. But if all you need is to keep track of your movies then it would work for you.

message 6: by Esther (new)

Esther Greenleaf | 65 comments Selen wrote: "I use http://www.icheckmovies.com to keep a track of the movies I watch. It's handy and when you can't find the movie that you'd like to check in (which does not happen often), all you have to do i..."

Thanks for this. I've investigated and will keep it on my radar -- I'm a bit put off by its trendiness, but it's useful nonetheless.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Selen. Out of all the sites mentioned, icheckmovies.com was what I was looking for.

message 8: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 14 comments i already posted this in a different forum, but i think it applies here as well.

i'm here to tell you that i've taken the challenge and hope to have an answer to the question we all have of "why is there no site like goodreads for movies?"

about 5-6 months ago, i was messing around here on goodreads and thought to myself, like you all have, why is there nothing like this out there for movies? so i did some preliminary research and googled "goodreads for movies." go do it now, and you'll see how many people actually want it. this inspired me. i continued to do more research into what options existed. i came up with the following list:

icheckmovies.com
fffilm.com
narvoo.com
lunch.com
flixster.com
flickchart.com
filmfresh.com
filmcrave.com
criticker.com
imdb.com
nanocrowd.com
themovietracker.com

NONE OF THESE SATISFIED ME! and being a movie FANATIC, i know exactly what i would do if i built it myself.

so i grabbed a couple of friends of mine (i'm a marketer by trade, one friend is a designer, and one is a back-end developer) and asked, "can we do this?" they said yes, and so we are. the site URL is seenth.at. our slogan is "we see movies." the plan is to blend a very unique user interface with the simple task of cataloging movies you have seen. if you want to rate, review, recommend, add a movie to a must see list, you can do that too. we've also got some other tricks up our sleeve that we're pretty excited about.

the point is, you can go sign up for the private beta (due to launch early fall) by going to seenth.at and entering your email address. you can also follow us on twitter (@seenthatmovie) or like us on facebook.com/seenthat.

i really hope this excites some of you. i've become thoroughly obsessed and can't wait to show you what we have when we launch in a couple of months. hopefully you will be delighted.

message 9: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 14 comments my other comment was posted here in case you want to see what comments were made in there http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) flixster has much improved since joining forces with rotten tomatoes; it's currently where I do my pre-Amazon posting of movie reviews (I timestamp every review in public before posting to Amazon to prove ownership because of their insane, annoying copyright crap).

signed up for the private beta, we shall see how it goes.

message 12: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 14 comments for anyone that's interested, we've posted some pre-release pics of seenth.at over on dribbble.com (http://dribbble.com/ShaneHelm/project...). i would be interested to hear any comments or feedback you might have. again, we'll be opening up our private beta sometime this fall. get on the list by signing up at http://seenth.at.

jp

message 13: by Blaise (new)

Blaise (BlaiseH) | 6 comments John wrote: "i already posted this in a different forum, but i think it applies here as well.

i'm here to tell you that i've taken the challenge and hope to have an answer to the question we all have of "why i..."

Just signed up. Looking forward to seeing wht you guys create

message 14: by John (new)

John Perkins (riversofbabylon) | 14 comments Hey folks. Just a quick update that SeenTh.at is coming along. If you're interested in keeping tabs on our progress, we just launched a blog (seenth.at/blog), and anyone is welcome to sign up for our beta launch later in the year at SeenTh.at.

Cheers!

JP

message 15: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (teddancin) I've used icheckmovies and mubi, which I like to use for certain things, but the thing I want to find most is a feature similar to the currently reading, and to-read shelves. Most of these sites keep track of what you've watched, but not what you want to watch.

I do like GetGlue.com because it does a lot of the things that Goodreads does, but I find myself overwhelmed by the amount of activity on it, so I'm looking to find other things.

I used to use Netflix queues to keep track of what to watch, but once they changed plan features (and I dropped to streaming only) all of my queues were erased and you can't add non-streaming movies to a queue.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 726 comments Miranda wrote: "I've used icheckmovies and mubi, which I like to use for certain things, but the thing I want to find most is a feature similar to the currently reading, and to-read shelves. Most of these sites ke..."

IMDB now has a 'to-watch list' feature which is very handy.

message 17: by Russ&Sara (new)

Russ&Sara (PiantEight3) I might recommend a site called GoodFilms.

http://goodfil.ms

message 18: by Mona (new)

Mona  (k1721m) | 7 comments I've used FilmCrave in the past.

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott Porch | 1 comments If you already rate movies on IMDB, my suggestion is stick with that. You can click on "Account" at the bottom of any IMDB page and create a named list. I name mine by viewing year.

message 20: by Grishma (new)

Grishma Udani | 32 comments We are building one at Rinema.com

Do check: www.rinema.com/features

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Buchanan (matthewbuchanan) | 1 comments Letterboxd fits the bill — keep a film diary, rate, review, follow other reviewers, make lists and more.

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8264 comments thanks

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthaspizziri) | 4 comments I just signed up for Rinema. Like it so far. Also signed up for Goodfilms at http://goodfil.ms/ and Letterboxd. Trying them out to see which I like best.

message 24: by Henrik (new)

Henrik | 2 comments I just signed up for http://trakt.tv. It is the only one of the suggested services that has an Android app (as far as I can see), and it syncs with other services/applications like TV Show Favs and XBMC/Kodi. And it does TV series in addition to movies.

message 25: by Feliks (last edited Dec 03, 2014 08:12AM) (new)

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) | 37 comments Some of these sites remind me of the doorstep pages for IMDb. Too much info about upcoming flicks. I used to have to customize how I even logged in to IMDb to avoid the frontispiece and all the blather for upcoming releases. I had my log-in page redirect me transparently to some obscure, innocuous, out-of-the-way page.

[There's actually a Firefox add-on to do this now. Like, when I log out of Hotmail, the next site which the logout 'sends me to' is one of my choosing, rather than MSN.com.]

Anyway. I bookmarked the sites mentioned above and will give them some time to mature before signing aboard.

message 26: by Altar Ego (new)

Altar Ego (AltarEgo) | 1 comments Hi guys! To all of you who have used and tested several sites of movie review and categorization in the past months: What did you like best? Which was handiest? And which was most similar to goodreads? thank you!

message 27: by Feliks (last edited Mar 29, 2015 08:25AM) (new)

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) | 37 comments I tried whatever is the most-touted site recently and found it all 'still struggling' and 'floundering'. Flighty and fly-by-night. As if they're not sure whether they're staying or not.

Next 'best of breed' (after IMDb) doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, I can only suggest Wikipedia to look up film data. None of these other wannabes make-the-grade...no matter how much they try to model themselves on Goodreads. Sad state of affairs. It takes very strong admin/support to make a comfortable website these days.

message 28: by Martha (last edited Mar 26, 2015 10:51PM) (new)

Martha (marthaspizziri) | 4 comments Expanding on what I wrote earlier about Rinema, Goodfilms, and Letterboxd:

I've mostly been using Rinema. I think it's the most similar to Goodreads. I do like Goodfilms and have kept that account, though I'm not using it much. Letterboxd I tried a few months ago and found it didn't have as many features as the first two and the interface wasn't as easy to use, so I canceled that account. I also tried one -- again, this was several months ago -- called iCheck Movies. That one also was kind of lacking, at least at the time I tried it -- didn't even list actors' names on the movie page, didn't let you note movies you owned unless you had a paid membership, etc.

Here are some specifics:

On Rinema
- You can note whether you own a copy of a movie.
- Can add a “Watched on” date.
- Lets you find “Taste Buddies.”
- Brings movies into your Facebook list of movies, if you connect it with your Facebook account.
- Has a list of now playing, coming soon, and trailers.
- Lets you see a list of movies that are available on YouTube, Amazon and iTunes, which you can search by language, genre, year released, and whether or not the movie is on your list of movies you've seen.
- Similarly, there are links on each film’s page that shows whether it's available on iTunes, YouTube/Google Play, or Amazon and links to the movie on those services if it's available.
- You can browse lists like Greatest Road Movies, Best Anime Movies, etc., or make your own lists.
- You can email them to get permission to add and edit movies, similar to being a librarian on Goodreads.
- You can @mention a friend or use #tags in reviews and posts.
- You can export your list of movies as a CSV file, or import movie lists you have on your computer in a spreadsheet, or from the Delicious Library app for Mac.

On Goodfilms:
- You give each movie two ratings — one for how much you liked it and one for how "rewatchable" it is.
- It has graph of watchable vs. critically acclaimed films.
- Connects with many services Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, Comcast Xfinity, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, and other services to find which movies you want to see are playing on each service. (As you can see, more than services than Rinema has, though not YouTube or Google Play.)
- Lets you compare taste with friends.

I like that both Rinema and Goodfilms let you use half stars when you rate movies. (In fact, I think Goodfilms even lets you narrow it down to 1/4 star.)

Edited to add:
Rinema doesn't have an app, but does have a good mobile version of its site. I don't know off hand whether any of the others have mobile apps.

And here's what I didn't like about Letterboxd, plus a couple of positive points about it. (Again, it was several months ago when I tried it, so some of this may have changed.)

On Letterboxd:
- Can’t add Netflix to account without Pro Letterboxd membership.
- Annoying “rate a film” pop-up on a lot of pages.
- "Add a Film" and "Search" were two different things, so after you searched for a movie you couldn't easily just add it to your list.
- Doesn’t/didn't let you tag movies you haven’t seen.
- Doesn’t currently let you track owned films, or plan to do so. (This is still true, according to the FAQ.)
- Doesn’t/didn't help you find people with similar taste.
- But it does connect with Amazon, iTunes and Netflix.
- And it lets you do some fancy things, like rate how you liked a movie when you first watched it and give a different rating for how you like it now.

message 29: by Rezaul (new)

Rezaul Haque | 1 comments it is a amazinq movie site http://www.rezaaul.com/

message 30: by Charles (new)

Charles Hang | 4 comments Martha wrote: "Expanding on what I wrote earlier about Rinema, Goodfilms, and Letterboxd:

I've mostly been using Rinema. I think it's the most similar to Goodreads. I do like Goodfilms and have kept that account..."

I signed up for Rinema, but it doesn't seem to be posting to my Facebook list of movies the way Goodreads adds to your list of books. I gave the app permission to post on Facebook and it is posting to my activity feed, but not to my list of movies.

Along those lines, is Rinema still posting to your Facebook movies list?

message 31: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthaspizziri) | 4 comments Charles, yes Rinema still is posting to my Facebook list of movies. Maybe it's something in your Facebook or Goodreads settings that's keeping it from posting?

message 32: by Charles (new)

Charles Hang | 4 comments Martha wrote: "Charles, yes Rinema still is posting to my Facebook list of movies. Maybe it's something in your Facebook or Goodreads settings that's keeping it from posting?"

Maybe. Another possibility is that there's a delay to post--does Rinema add movies instantaneously to your Facebook movies list when you rate the on the site? Or is there a delay?

message 33: by Charles (new)

Charles Hang | 4 comments Martha wrote: "Charles, yes Rinema still is posting to my Facebook list of movies. Maybe it's something in your Facebook or Goodreads settings that's keeping it from posting?"

Also, does Goodfilms post to your Facebook list of movies?

message 34: by Charles (new)

Never mind; it works now. I had to click "Add activity from apps: Rinema" on my Facebook movie list.

Thank you for your help!

message 35: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) | 37 comments errm. David Schow? Who?

message 36: by Catharine (new)

Catharine (catburhenne) | 2 comments My husband and I just launched an iPhone app that's like Goodreads for movies. If anyone here would like an invite, feel free to sign up here and shoot me a note so I can move you to the front of the line :) www.reelgoodapp.com

message 37: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthaspizziri) | 4 comments Catharine wrote: "My husband and I just launched an iPhone app that's like Goodreads for movies. If anyone here would like an invite, feel free to sign up here and shoot me a note so I can move you to the front of t..."

Thanks. I just signed up.

message 38: by Henrik (new)

Henrik | 2 comments Catharine: Are you considering a web app and/or and Android app as well?

message 39: by Catharine (new)

Catharine (catburhenne) | 2 comments Henrik, yes! Android coming out in a few months. Follow @reelgoodapp on Twitter to be the first to know!

unread topics | mark unread