Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Appetite for Reduction : 125 fast & filling low-fat vegan recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Comments (showing 86-135)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 135: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I bought some blue potatoes this week so will have to try that one

message 134: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jenbug26) | 10 comments I love the spicy blue potato and corn salad! The combination of fresh cold ingredients with spicy flavor is yummy! I've also had the everyday chick pea salad for lunch every day this week. I guess I took the every day to heart :) Time to branch out to more recipes!

message 133: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments Those pictures look great! It makes me want to make them all!

message 132: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) | 1510 comments Mod
Glad to hear that Lisa!

Caribbean curried black-eyed peas with plantains- I wanted this to be amazing, but it was just o.k. I omitted the water (3/4th a cup seemed too much) and instead of black eyed peas I doubled the amount and used pigeon peas and black beans. Things just didn't seem together for a good taste in my opinion...just average.

Spicy blue potato & corn salad - Very good. Everything comes together real well in this recipe. Love the use of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. The option of smoked paprika at the end was genius to me cranked up the flavor a whole lot.

message 131: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 2008 comments Mod
Oh, yes, Don! And I see the photos without even clicking. They're just there. And making me hungry at 11 at night. ;-)

Thanks!

message 130: by Don (new)

Let me know if you guys see the picture in this one. Otherwise, I'll go back to providing a link. :)

Fresh tomato salsa dressing - Delicious, I ate the whole recipe...alone....in one sitting. It's pretty close to a salsa and what made it good for me was the edition of vinegar and hot sauce. I used it on fresh spinach as a salad dressing.

Fusilli roasted veggie primavera -
Good. Nothing earth shattering, but a good way to enjoy some veggies and pasta. I cut the thyme in half and added dried basil. I used a brown rice pasta that wasn't fusilli. I subbed green beans for the asparagus since asparagus was a whopping $4.99 a pound today.

message 129: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I made the Tamarind Quinoa, Cashew Cranberry Biryani and Toasted Cumin Quinoa. At least I think it was Quinoa. I am obsessed with Quinoa. The Biryani was my favourite though. Really tasty.

message 128: by Don (new)

Moroccan Chickpeas and zucchini - Good. Nothing special about this at all as it's pretty run of the mill recipe, but tasty. I seriously cut down the cooking time to about 10 minutes and threw everything together and cut back on the broth by a cup. She wants the veggies to be soft and velvety and cooks them to death, which isn't my style.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...

Kidney Bean and butternut jamba stew - This was good. I cooked brown rice in my rice cooker separately and cut back on the broth. I used pumpkin instead of butternut squash.

message 127: by Wiebke (new)

Wiebke | 34 comments That looks yummy Don. I'll have to get the book from my library. Thank you for sharing.

message 126: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (last edited Oct 16, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1027 comments Mod
I liked that stew too, Don. I'm pretty sure I cut the amount of smoked paprika at least in half because it's pretty strong. And your photo is great!

message 125: by Don (new)

Smoky Tempeh & Greens Stew - This was pretty good. She calls for four teaspoons of smoked paprika and in eating it, I'm finding that's too much and I love smoked paprika. I used kale for the greens and instead of lima beans I used cannellini beans, Instead of sauteeing the tempeh separately, I was pressed for time and cooked it along with the onions (after steaming it as I always do) and that worked out good.

message 124: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Wiebke and All, If you find a good knife for cutting pumpkins, butternut squash, etc. please post here. I'd be willing to buy one. Now I tend to buy those already cut up or somehow processed, and I'd rather buy them whole.

Wiebke, I hope you get everything on your Christmas wish list.

message 123: by Wiebke (new)

Wiebke | 34 comments Lisa wrote: "Don, that looks fabulous! Yum. I might have to make that. I probably would use the sweet potatoes. I never seem to have knives that will cut hard squashes, at least not easily. What kind(s) of kniv..."

We don't have very good knives, most tasks are a hassle. I have asked for two or three really good knives for Christmas though. I'll add pumpkin cutting to the selection criteria. Thanks, Lisa, for bringing this up.

message 122: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments Oh this looks delicious!!! I'll have to find brussel sprouts and snatch some sweet potatoes from the store on base (the Italians don't have sweet potatoes locally).

message 121: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Thanks, Don. I've have arthritis in my hands since my twenties so brute strength is not my forte. But sweet potatoes work great for this dish.

I do have the cookbook but thanks of behalf of members who do not.

message 120: by Don (last edited Oct 14, 2012 04:25PM) (new)

I know what you mean. It's really hard to cut through pumpkin and butternut squash. I just use my regular chopping knife and brute strength. LOL.

The recipe is up on her website if someone whom doesn't have the cookbook is interested. I found it for a friend of mind and thought I'd post it here.

http://www.theppk.com/2008/11/chipotl...

message 119: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Don, that looks fabulous! Yum. I might have to make that. I probably would use the sweet potatoes. I never seem to have knives that will cut hard squashes, at least not easily. What kind(s) of knives do you use? Everybody?

message 118: by Don (new)

Chipotle chili with sweet potatoes & Brussels sprouts - Fantastic

This is a nice combo of foods for what is pretty much your standard chili. I used pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes because I bought a huge pumpkin this week, as they are in season. I used a bit more of everything to make it nice and thick and used two 15 oz. cans of beans instead of one 16 oz. can.

message 117: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments Yum!! I think I'll have to make those 2 dishes soon! I've had them marked in my book for quite a while now but never got to make them yet! Thanks for the inspiration, Don! :)

message 116: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

That sounds like a lot of agave nectar. I know you don't like your dishes too sweet.

message 115: by Don (new)

It was plenty saucy for me. I used a can of full fat coconut milk and she calls for 3/4th cup of lite...so with less broth it was quite rich and saucy enough for me. I'm very glad though I didn't add three tablespoons of agave nectar, that would have ruined it for me.

message 114: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Okay, good to know. Thanks, Don. I always love saucy dishes!

message 113: by Don (last edited Oct 10, 2012 02:29PM) (new)

Lee wrote: "The Glam Chowder looks yummy.

The Laksa doesn't look very saucy. Was it dry, Don?"

The picture doesn't do it justice, I scooped out some and left a lot of broth in the pot,. That said, I deliberately made it thick It's supposed to be more soupy than I made it. She called for four cups of broth and I used only two to deliberately thicken it up, but it wasn't dry at all.

message 112: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

The Glam Chowder looks yummy.

The Laksa doesn't look very saucy. Was it dry, Don?

message 111: by Don (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:43PM) (new)

Manhattan Glam Chowder - Excellently delicious! The store was out of shiitake mushrooms and I used baby bella and doubled the amount she calls for. I did not use canned tomatoes but fresh diced. I omitted the teaspoon of agave. Otherwise I stuck to the recipe and loved the taste of the nori in this along with the other flavors that came together nicely.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...

Curry Laksa - I'm a huge fan of Asian food, so I'm really hard to please when it comes to Asian and while this one was good, it was just run of the mill to me. Just your basic red curry and coconut milk dish. I could not find bok choy at the grocery store so I used napa instead. She calls three tablespoons of agave nectar which I can't imagine and I added maybe 1/2 teaspoon just for a little sweetness.I cut the amount of broth in half to make it more thick. I didn't follow her serving instructions because I didn't eat it right away and mixed everything together.

message 110: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I've never the tried the recipe in this book. Some recipes I've made have been quite doughy and others have been runnier or oilier. There can be quite a bit of variation. How did the cookies end up tasting?

message 109: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments Oh now I want to make cookies.. and I really shouldn't! LOL I'll have to keep them in mind and see if I find them also too dry! (I usually straw away from the recipe and edit it if I find it too dry or other..)

message 108: by Jo (new)

Jo (new_romantic) I tried making the chocolate chip cookies (love baking) but I found the mixture to be really dry. Not how I thought cookie dough was in consistency... but that could just be my misconception. I just thought dough was doughy lol
Has anyone else given them a go?
Or is cookie dough supposed to be dry?

message 107: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments Autum,
wasn't it!? I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I really need to make more meals from it! I often get side-tracked by making my own creations or Hubby asks for specific meals (like chickpea cutlets w/green beans, potatoes and gravy -it's one of his favorites lol).
The Pot Pie Stew sounds delicious too!!!

message 106: by Autumn (new)

Autumn | 16 comments Val, the korma was seriously delicious! I'm slowly working my way through this book. Made the pot pie stew with sweet potato biscuits for dinner this weekend and it was perfect! I love the smokiness that comes from the yellow split peas.

message 105: by Val (last edited Sep 09, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments I made the Curried Corn & veggie chowder yesterday, it was super tasty!
I added the red pepper flakes manually to my bowl as our girl was eating with us (my son still has horrible texture issues and vomits those kinds of soups right back up again *sigh*)... I didn't use the lime juice that Isa suggested and also only had dried cilantro and not fresh, but it was tasty just as I had it! Will certainly make this again!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101...

message 104: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments Oh yum, the eggplant lentil chili is also on my list as well as the curry laksa and potato spinach curry! (I love curries!)
The other recipes you mention sound great too! I really need to dig through it more and cook from it! (Same goes for all of my books actually!..)

message 103: by Autumn (last edited Aug 30, 2012 04:29PM) (new)

Autumn | 16 comments Yum, I have been eyeing the korma recipe for a while and just happen to have some leftover cauliflower in my fridge!

I've cooked a lot from AFR the past 2 weeks and I love how easy and accessible the recipes are! I've had the sushi salad, everyday quinoa chickpea salad, and goddess nicoise for lunch this week and the butternut jamba and eggplant lentil chili for dinner. I also really love the sanctuary dressing for dipping veggies as an afternoon snack. I see why this book has gotten such rave reviews!

ETA: I remembered that I have also made the curry laksa and potato spinach curry. The laksa broth was really good but the flavor gets pretty diluted once you add noodles so I needed to add quite a bit of salt to bring the flavor back. I also really liked the curry, especially with a little mango chutney on the side! It much better after the flavors had melded overnight.

message 102: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments I've made the *Vegetable Korma* 2 days ago! It was delicious! (Forgot to take a pic, sorry!) If you like Indian food and cauliflower, this is certainly a great dish! Hubby isn't too much of a cauli fan, so he only liked the dish 'ok', I loved it! The only thing I would change next time is the amount of liquids! Somehow it was quite runny (maybe because I cooked everything in the pressure cooker instead of a regular pot?) and could have been a tad thicker.. Not sure if a cornstarch slurry would have fixed that?

message 101: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Mmmmmmmmm, adding maple syrup. Another great tip! Thanks, Emszy.

message 100: by emszy (last edited Aug 27, 2012 10:44PM) (new)

emszy | 60 comments Eggplant Bacon is really good. I like to add a little maple syrup to mine as well. It tastes great in tomato based pasta dishes! It's part of another recipe (Caesar Salad I think) so it's easy to miss.

message 99: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

That does sound simple! I adore eggplant and that sounds like an intriguing way to prepare and eat it.

message 98: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments Lee,
it's so simple (basically just mix liquid smoke with some tamari, dip the eggplant slices in it and bake for a few minutes) but sooo good!

message 97: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Eggplant bacon? Why didn't I find that in the book???
I'll definitely have to give that a go.

message 96: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments You're welcome, Don! ;)

message 95: by Don (new)

Thanks for the review Val....I too love liquid smoke. I must try that recipe!

message 94: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments *Eggplant Bacon*
OMG, I never heard of such a genius idea and loving eggplant as well as liquid smoke (genius invention on its own! LOL), I was hoping for this to be great and Isa didn't let me down!
Visually it wasn't that appealing (better than bacon though! ;) ) but the taste oh-so-good!!!

I had it with the *Ceasar Chavez Salad* as Isa suggested it and it was absolutely delicious! Loved the dressing!!! (In my omni days I used to love Ceasar salad so this was right up my alley!)

message 93: by Val (new)

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 442 comments Reviving this thread after finally having tried some recipes on my own and hoping to cook more to review too! :)

First of all, Don, a big heartfelt 'Thank you!' for all your great detailed feedback on all those dishes (for ALL the books!) and pictures! I seriously admire you for taking the time to write it all down! I wish I could move in with you! LOL ;)

message 92: by Don (new)

Really, with those ingredients can you go wrong?

message 91: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

This is my kind of food. I love cumin. And black beans and quinoa.

message 90: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Looks and sounds very healthy, Don!

message 89: by Don (new)

Quinoa salad with black beans and toasted cumin seeds - Delicious...I cut from 1 cup of chopped scallions to about 1/3 cup but otherwise stuck tot he recipe. The toasted cumin seeds really stood out and added a lot of flavor. I've only used cumin seeds fried in oil, but the dry pan technique for toasting makes for a tasty way of doing it. (I've done nuts this way too.)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...

message 88: by Don (new)

Goddess Niçoise - Very very good! This is a nice salad that has greens, red potatoes, green beans, red onions, tomato, and mashed chickpeas with a great "Green Goddess Dressing" made from parsley, nooch, chives, miso and tahini......everything comes together brilliantly.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-s...

message 87: by Shea (new)

Shea | 8 comments ^^^That broccoli polenta looks tasty!

message 86: by Don (new)

unfried fried rice - Very good way to reduce the fat and still get that Asian flavor, although there is nothing really unique about this recipe.  

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...

Mom's Marinara - Good quick and easy marinara.  I seasoned it with crushed red peppers.  Not very inspiring or unique but good.

Soft broccoli polenta- Good...simply polenta and broccoli cooked in broth (I used homemade veggie stock).  Mine was done in 10 minutes and I put it in a pie pan to firm up because I didn't want it soft.  I topped it with marinara.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (other topics)
Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (other topics)
The Yogini Panini: Vegan Sandwiches, Burgers, and Sides (other topics)
Vegetarian Times Everything Vegan (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dawn Grey (other topics)
Isa Chandra Moskowitz (other topics)