Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Appetite for Reduction : 125 fast & filling low-fat vegan recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Comments (showing 1-50 of 135) (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 11, 2011 10:42AM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Appetite for Reduction: Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Meals is a new book by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (of "Veganomicon" fame). Yay! There is a very long wait at the library but I'm on the holds list. While I'm not really looking to lose weight, I do want to cook healthy and definitely like the "fast" and "filling" promises in the title :-) Plus, I like Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. If some of you are able to get to this before I do, I'll be eager to know what recipes you enjoy.

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_Lindsey_) | 41 comments I've made about a third of the recipes in this book, mostly from the main dish sections: noodles, tofu/tempeh, soups, curries/stews, beans. I'll list my very favorites, the ones that I would definitely like to make again or already have made again.

Sanctuary Dressing - This gives me a way to enjoy raw vegetables without guilt! A 1/2 cup!! of this dressing is only 80 calories.

OMG Oven-Baked Onion Rings - Too much work but delicious!

Upside-Down Lentil Shepherd's Pie

Tempeh Helper

Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce

Mac & Trees

Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine

Cajun Beanballs & Spaghetti

Arabian Lentil & Rice Soup

Classic Black Bean & Veggie Chili

Fresh Corn & Scallion Corn Bread

Portobello Pepper Steak Stew

Veggie Potpie Stew

Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits

message 3: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1027 comments Mod
Me too! I'm dying to get my hands on this one. I may have to break down and buy it. I would love to hear what people have cooked and enjoyed so far from this book.

message 4: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1993 comments Mod
So far, I've made only the easy mac & cheese. Have you made that one, Lindsey? I wasn't wild about it but I liked it, and I'm not a very good cook and it was the first recipe I'd made from a cookbook in a long while, so it might be even tastier made by someone else.

Those baked onion rings have been on my mind though! I get sick when I eat fried foods but I used to love onion rings.

message 5: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Oooooh, thank you Lindsey! We cross posted! The recipes you listed all sound very tempting. You're not making it easier for me to resist buying this.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lindsey wrote: "I've made about a third of the recipes in this book, mostly from the main dish sections: noodles, tofu/tempeh, soups, curries/stews, beans. I'll list my very favorites, the ones that I would defini..."

Oh, my mouth is watering. Especially over the onion rings ;-p

message 7: by Surrender Dorothy (last edited Mar 26, 2011 10:51PM) (new)

Surrender Dorothy The Curried Scrambled Tofu with Wilted Arugula and the marinara sauce are the best things I've made so far. The unfried refried beans and 40-clove chickpea and broccoli were good. The Cashew-Cranberry Biryani tasted boxed, and the flavor of the low-fat hummus was way too intense. Perhaps good low-fat hummus doesn't exist, I ended up putting in Tahini defeating the purpose of the 'low fat'. I do like how it has sandwich ideas. Since becoming vegan, I barely ever eat sandwiches anymore, formerly one of my favorite meals.

message 8: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Surrender Dorothy wrote: "Since becoming vegan, I barely ever eat sandwiches anymore, formerly one of my favorite meals."

I eat a lot of vegan burgers, and sometimes hummus sandwiches. I know we have many cookbooks on our shelves that have vegan sandwich recipes. A new book, as yet unrated by any Goodreads' member, that looks as though it focusses on sandwiches is The Yogini Panini: Vegan Sandwiches, Burgers, and Sides by Dawn Grey. It looks interesting to me.

message 9: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I just treated myself to this book as a pick me up after a difficult week. I have my eye on those sweet potato drop biscuits! I can't wait to try them. I will report back as soon as I begin trying recipes.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lee wrote: "I just treated myself to this book as a pick me up after a difficult week. I have my eye on those sweet potato drop biscuits! I can't wait to try them. I will report back as soon as I begin tryi..."

Good for you! You certainly deserve it! :-) I'll be curious how that sweet potato biscuit recipe turns out. There is one in Vegetarian Times Everything Vegan and I'm planning to make that one in the next few days.

message 11: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lee wrote: "I just treated myself to this book as a pick me up after a difficult week. I have my eye on those sweet potato drop biscuits! I can't wait to try them. I will report back as soon as I begin tryi..."

Somebody from my book club tried them and they didn't work out. Isa Chandra Moskowitz made them at a demonstration at our Ferry Building's farmers' market, and she was there (along with a few of my book club members) and I think she figured out what might have gone wrong. So, I'll be interested if yours work out the first time, Lee. If not, I'll try to find out the secret and will let you know.

message 12: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Maybe I'll make them this weekend. In her post above, Lindsey said she's made them so maybe she knows the secret. The recipe doesn't seem too complicated.

message 13: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lee wrote: "Maybe I'll make them this weekend. In her post above, Lindsey said she's made them so maybe she knows the secret. The recipe doesn't seem too complicated."

It probably isn't. And I'm not 100% certain it was the drop biscuits from this cookbook but I'm 99% sure. Can't wait to hear how they turn out for you. They look delicious.

message 14: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

And I think it might be something that my daughter would like!

message 15: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lee wrote: "And I think it might be something that my daughter would like!"

Yes, they do sound kid friendly!

message 16: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Just reporting back that I made the sweet-potato drop biscuits and they were great! The only thing I would change would be the amount of nutmeg, it was far too much for my taste. The biscuits themselves were moist, delicious and slightly sweet.

message 17: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I made the caulipots a few days ago with the nutritional yeast variation and they were very good. I actually liked them better re-heated as leftovers!

message 18: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

My brother dropped by unexpectedly for dinner tonight and I was scrambling to put together a decent vegan dinner without planning. I ended up making the Shaved Brussel Sprouts on page 92 and they were awesome! My husband and brother loved them and I think I liked them even more than roasted brussel sprouts which are pretty darned delicious!

Last week I also made the Lettuce Wraps with Hoisin-Mustard Tofu and it was great. They were fun to eat and very tasty!

I'm really enjoying this book.

message 19: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lee wrote: "I ended up making the Shaved Brussel Sprouts on page 92 and they were awesome!"

Lee, You made me look. I'd probably leave out the salt (that's just weird me) but they otherwise do look delicious!

message 20: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I think the need a bit of salt but maybe I'm wrong. They were seriously yummy!

message 21: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Okay, tonight we tried the Eazy Breezy Cheezy Sauce poured over pasta and broccoli and it was a hit. I was surprised at how creamy it was without any added fat and it had good flavour.

message 22: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Ooh, Lee, I love hearing your feedback! It is finally my turn for this at the library and I picked it up last night. Already I have found numerous recipes I am eager to try. *squeal of delight!*

message 23: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Yay! I'm glad you have it home Kathryn. The recipes are not difficult at all and many of them are interesting. I've now made ten in total and enjoyed all.

Because of our current crazy hours last night I whipped up a pot of the Arabian Lentil & Rice Soup and it was great! You will probably have all the ingredients in your pantry and fridge/freezer. I love that kind of recipe where I don't have to make a special shopping trip for ingredients.

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Mmm, yay! I am looking for an easy/on-hand-ingredients recipe for tonight so I will check out the Lentil and Rice Soup recipe. Thanks! :-)

message 25: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jenbug26) | 10 comments Hello. This is my first post. I love the idea of this group. I'm on a 30 day vegan challenge.
Last night I made the Classic Black Bean and Veggie chili. It was really good over brown rice but I would probably use I little less cilantro. Unless you really like cilantro :)

message 26: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Hi Jenny, welcome to the group! Thanks for the feedback about the chili recipe. I love cilantro so I will definitely make this.

Who are you doing the 30 day vegan challenge with? How's it going so far?

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jenbug26) | 10 comments I'm on veggieboards and they have a thread for doing a 30 day vegan challenge. I'm about 15 days in and it's going really well! I've found a lot of foods I love (like coconut milk ice cream) and I hope to make it a lifetime commitment.

message 28: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

That's great Jenny! I love cooking with coconut milk so I imagine the ice-cream is delicious as well.

message 29: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Jenny wrote: "Hello. This is my first post. I love the idea of this group. I'm on a 30 day vegan challenge."

Hello, Jenny. Welcome to the group. We're delighted that you've joined us. Best wishes with the rest of the challenge.

I love cilantro so I'd probably leave in the full amount in the recipe you made. It sounds delicious. But, that's one wonderful thing, we can all tweak recipes so they're to our own tastes.

I hope this group can be a good support for you and your goal to eat vegan. There are so many good cookbooks and recipes. I'm glad you're finding new foods you enjoy.

message 30: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Welcome, Jenny! Best wishes with your 30 day vegan challenge. I must say you've got a GREAT book to serve as inspiration and provide some fabulous vegan meals. I love this book!

message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jenbug26) | 10 comments Lee wrote: "Hi Jenny, welcome to the group! Thanks for the feedback about the chili recipe. I love cilantro so I will definitely make this.

Who are you doing the 30 day vegan challenge with? How's it goi..."

Update: The black bean and veggie chili freezes well. I just thawed some that had been in my freezer about a week.

message 32: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Jenny wrote: "Update: The black bean and veggie chili freezes well. I just thawed some that had been in my freezer about a week."

Thanks, Jenny. That's good to know. I'm getting better about making enough for and keeping leftovers for one or two or three portions, but I've been using the fridge and forgetting the option of using the freezer.

message 33: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Thanks for the tip Jenny, I want to try that recipe. I made the lentil and eggplant chili mole last week and was not really happy with the result. It's the first recipe I haven't been thrilled with from the book.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I just splurged on this book last week so I havent tried any recipes yet...I cant wait to try the one for the spinach lasagne though! The pic looks sooo good :)

message 35: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Melissa wrote: "I just splurged on this book last week so I havent tried any recipes yet...I cant wait to try the one for the spinach lasagne though! The pic looks sooo good :)"

Melissa, I love Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks, and this one is really great. I think you've made a good choice. Is it one of the two books you mentioned in your introduction?

message 36: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

You must definitely make the lasagna and let us know how good it is! I'm slowly working my way through this book but I tend to get distracted.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited May 09, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

Lisa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I just splurged on this book last week so I havent tried any recipes yet...I cant wait to try the one for the spinach lasagne though! The pic looks sooo good :)"

Melissa, I love [a..."

It is!! I also got Vegonomicon since I couldnt decide which one I wanted more ;) I had a gift card that covered one of them though!

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited May 09, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

Lee wrote: "You must definitely make the lasagna and let us know how good it is! I'm slowly working my way through this book but I tend to get distracted."

I got the stuff for lasagne yesterday :) so it might be tomorrows supper

message 39: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

That's great you purchased both books. I find Appetite for Reduction great for more casual and faster meals. I love lasagna but whenever I make it I find it hard to control my portions. I just want to keep eating it and then there are leftovers!

message 40: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Melissa wrote: "It is!! I also got Vegonomicon since I couldnt decide which one I wanted more ;) I had a gift card that covered one of them though!"

We have a thread for that book too!:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 41: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Lee wrote: "That's great you purchased both books. I find Appetite for Reduction great for more casual and faster meals. I love lasagna but whenever I make it I find it hard to control my portions. I just w..."

That's what I'm finding, too. Much easier and faster to whip up something from "Appetite" than "Veganomicon" but still some very delicious stuff in "Veganomicon" esp. for special occasions. And I LOVE their gluten-free chocolate chip cookies ;-)

message 42: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Yup, I've found great recipes in both books!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Finally got around to making the Roasted Cauliflower and Spinach Lasagne. I enjoyed it but I will definitely play with it next time and add extras in :) It was very easy to make. I cut it in half so I wouldnt have too many leftovers and the hubby isnt too keen on vegan lasagne ;)

message 44: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Thanks for letting us know Melissa. I always like to add in lots of extra stuff in my lasagna too!

message 45: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Thanks, Melissa. I usually add stuff to recipes. For most recipes I almost always add extra garlic, or put in garlic if it's not there to begin with.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

yes I'll definitely add extra garlic next time! cant wait to try another recipe from this book

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Just reporting back that I made the sweet-potato drop biscuits and they were great! The only thing I would change would be the amount of nutmeg, it was far too much for my taste. The biscuits the..."

ooo can't wait to try those!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

was wanting to try seitan so I made the Portobello peppersteak stew tonight...along with bread from my breadmaker I thought it was a pretty enjoyable meal :) I will definitely make it again

message 49: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I'm glad someone has tried and liked the chickpea piccata.

Pia, I've never heard of mashed potato sandwiches, that's funny! I've been eating mashed potatoes with left-over silky chickpea gravy all week though and that's pretty good.

message 50: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lee wrote: "left-over silky chickpea gravy"

Lee, Is that recipe from this cookbook? Elsewhere?

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (other topics)
Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (other topics)
The Yogini Panini: Vegan Sandwiches, Burgers, and Sides (other topics)
Vegetarian Times Everything Vegan (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dawn Grey (other topics)
Isa Chandra Moskowitz (other topics)