Downton Abbey Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > Current Reads

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's where you can share what you're reading, and what you plain to read next!

message 2: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I'm currently re-reading E.M. Forster's A Room With a View. I forgot how lovely and almost existential some of his descriptions were!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Lee | 1 comments I'm just about to re-read The Perfect Summer, by Juliet Nicholson. I read it a year or two ago, but it's so chock full of interesting tidbits that I'm reading it again, and this time, I'm taking notes!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Li wrote: "I'm currently re-reading E.M. Forster's A Room With a View. I forgot how lovely and almost existential some of his descriptions were!"

ARw/aV is very lovely. I haven't re-read it in a while, but I've been watching bits and pieces of the film (the Merchant Ivory version, not that dreadful BBC adaptation) over the past month.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I'm just about to re-read The Perfect Summer, by Juliet Nicholson. I read it a year or two ago, but it's so chock full of interesting tidbits that I'm reading it again, and this time, I'm taking no..."

I love how chatty the book is. I feel as though I'm witnessing everything first-hand. I know a number of people complain about the lack of footnotes and the so-called name-dropping, but it's not supposed to be a scholarly text--it's popular history!

message 6: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Walters | 14 comments I'm coming to the end of 'The Visits of Elizabeth' by Elinor Glyn. I found it dragged a bit in the middle so skipped out a lot of her French holiday but the ending is lovely. Am about to move on to 'The Glitter and the Gold' by Consuelo Vanderbilt, which looks fascinating.

MaryannC.Book Fiend (MaryannColeBooksareDelish) | 38 comments Hi all, I have already begun The Edwardians and it's pretty good I must say. I couldnt wait to read it, so I began a few days ago. It is my first ever V. Sackville-West book and I am a fan already. Good choice on picking this book!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Maryann wrote: "Hi all, I have already begun The Edwardians and it's pretty good I must say. I couldnt wait to read it, so I began a few days ago. It is my first ever V. Sackville-West book and I am a fan alread..."

Hi Maryann! Glad that you're enjoying the book. If you want to discuss it, check back two weeks from today where hopefully, you'll have reached the middle chapters of the book!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennie wrote: "I'm coming to the end of 'The Visits of Elizabeth' by Elinor Glyn. I found it dragged a bit in the middle so skipped out a lot of her French holiday but the ending is lovely. Am about to move on to..."

I did find her French journey a bit tedious, though Elizabeth is still charming. Hope you enjoy The Glitter and the Gold--it gives a great picture into Edwardian society.

message 10: by Bex (new)

Bex (strange_lydia) | 2 comments I'm on a huge Edwardian/Downton Abbey kick so I'm reading the DA guide, and then I've got some other Edwardian books in line (Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey, My Life in Service, etc) Obsessed!

message 11: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Walters | 14 comments Well, finished The Glitter and the Gold and just discovered a really charming book - 'Seventy Years Young' by Elizabeth, Countess of Fingal. All about her marriage at 17, coming out in the Edwardian era, her life in Ireland and the beginning of the troubles. Very interessting!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Bex wrote: "I'm on a huge Edwardian/Downton Abbey kick so I'm reading the DA guide, and then I've got some other Edwardian books in line (Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey, My Life in Service, etc) Obsessed!"

Welcome Bex! I'm reading the Lady Almina book as well!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennie wrote: "Well, finished The Glitter and the Gold and just discovered a really charming book - 'Seventy Years Young' by Elizabeth, Countess of Fingal. All about her marriage at 17, coming out in the Edwardia..."

How did you like Consuelo's memoirs? Barring her marital issues, I think it gives one of the best peeks into high society in New York and in England.

It's no surprise that I own Lady Fingall's memoirs, is it? LOL. Seventy Years Young is a dense little tome, and it isn't terribly chronological, but it's full of great details about Edwardian Ireland. It helped me understand Branson's side of the story (though he wasn't aristocratic).

message 14: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Walters | 14 comments Egeline wrote: "Jennie wrote: "Well, finished The Glitter and the Gold and just discovered a really charming book - 'Seventy Years Young' by Elizabeth, Countess of Fingal. All about her marriage at 17, coming out ..."

Yes, enjoyed Consuelo's memoirs very much. Lots of great detail, and I loved the rather stilted, artificial phrasing that made them seem so authentic!

My goodness, Evangeline, you really have read everything Edwardian! I'm loving Lady Fingall's memoirs - she's such an engaging character, and so much happier than poor Consuelo. Love the image of her dancing alone under the beech trees in Meath, and she and her husband hiding in the long grass until the carriage containing visitors has gone away!

MaryannC.Book Fiend (MaryannColeBooksareDelish) | 38 comments Hi Everyone, I am a little past halfway reading The Edwardians and I absolutely love the details of this book! It has become one of my favorites.

MaryannC.Book Fiend (MaryannColeBooksareDelish) | 38 comments What I love about The Edwardians is that it really feels like I am getting an insider's look at this era of class, society, the wonderful clothes it describes,the haughtiness, just about eveything I could imagine. Sorry, I know I keep gushing about this book, but again it's wonderful.

message 17: by Bex (new)

Bex (strange_lydia) | 2 comments Evangeline wrote: "Bex wrote: "I'm on a huge Edwardian/Downton Abbey kick so I'm reading the DA guide, and then I've got some other Edwardian books in line (Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey, My Life in Service,..."

Thanks! I finally got around to posting here lol. I LOVED the Almina book. What a lady! I'm dying to visit Highclere now. :)

MaryannC.Book Fiend (MaryannColeBooksareDelish) | 38 comments Anxiously waiting to find out what our next group read will be! :)

message 19: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Walters | 14 comments Yes, me too - and also what we all thought of 'The Edwardians'. I've just finished 'Barbara, Lady's Maid and Peeress' and am thinking now's the time for 'House of Mirth' or the other Wharton that Evangeline recommended (can't remember the name offhand).

MaryannC.Book Fiend (MaryannColeBooksareDelish) | 38 comments Jennie wrote: "Yes, me too - and also what we all thought of 'The Edwardians'. I've just finished 'Barbara, Lady's Maid and Peeress' and am thinking now's the time for 'House of Mirth' or the other Wharton that E..."

Hi Jennie, could you tell me what Barbara, Lady's Maid and Peeress is all about? The title sounds interesting, I added it to my read list.

message 21: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Walters | 14 comments Maryann wrote: "Jennie wrote: "Yes, me too - and also what we all thought of 'The Edwardians'. I've just finished 'Barbara, Lady's Maid and Peeress' and am thinking now's the time for 'House of Mirth' or the other..."

Sure - this is one I found on one of Evangeline's lists on her website. It's the story of a young woman who's brought up by her strict aunt and her unscrupulous guardian. It was written in 1897 and I wanted to read it for research into a story I'm writing about a young woman looking for a husband around this time. I'd say it wasn't quite as gripping as 'The Edwardians' but it's readable and does give some insights into that particular era - so perhaps more of a curiosity piece than a 'must read'. But I stayed up late to finish it last night!

MaryannC.Book Fiend (MaryannColeBooksareDelish) | 38 comments Jennie wrote: "Maryann wrote: "Jennie wrote: "Yes, me too - and also what we all thought of 'The Edwardians'. I've just finished 'Barbara, Lady's Maid and Peeress' and am thinking now's the time for 'House of Mir..."

Thank you Jennie,it sounds pretty good, I am going to look for this right now! Youre writing a story? Oh that's fantastic, good luck to you! :)

message 23: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I just finished watching Downton Abbey the other day so I decided to finally read E.M. Forster's Howards End to dwell in the period a little longer =)

MaryannC.Book Fiend (MaryannColeBooksareDelish) | 38 comments Lianne wrote: "I just finished watching Downton Abbey the other day so I decided to finally read E.M. Forster's Howards End to dwell in the period a little longer =)" Hi Jennie, I just finished watching Downton Abbey again last nite! I Love this era. :)

unread topics | mark unread