Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - Apr 2011 - Monica Ferris

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 10, 2011 09:47PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 1594 comments Mod
Monica Ferris is our featured author for April.
Her official website is http://monica-ferris.com/

She goes by many names: Monica Ferris, Margaret Frazer, Mary Monica Pulver, Mary Kuhfeld, and Margaret of Shaftesbury. I'll let the author's own words from her website explain.

Mary Kuhfeld and Margaret of Shaftesbury. Same Person. Add in Mary Monica Pulver, Margaret Frazer (though I was only half of her, and only for the first six books) and Monica Ferris. An author's life can be filled with names and pseudonyms. But only Margaret Frazer and Monica Ferris are true pen names. Mary Monica Pulver is my maiden name, Mary Kuhfeld my married name, and Margaret of Shaftesbury is my persona name within the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).

There is a free short story available to read on her official website called "Slice it Dice it". Link is on the main page to the story.

NOVELS

Pseudonym: Monica Ferris
Needlework Mysteries
(Each book comes with a needlework chart of some kind.)

#1 Crewel World 1999
#2 Framed in Lace 1999
#3 A Stitch in Time 2000
#4 Unraveled Sleeve 2001
#5 A Murderous Yarn 2002
#6 Hanging by a Thread 2003
#7 Cutwork 2004
#8 Crewel Yule 2004
#9 Embroidered Truths 2005
#10 Sins and Needles 2006
#11 Knitting Bones 2007
#12 Thai Die 2008
#13 Blackwork 2009
#14 Buttons and Bones 2010

Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2) by Monica Ferris A Stitch in Time (A Needlecraft Mystery, #3) by Monica Ferris Unraveled Sleeve (A Needlecraft Mystery, #4) by Monica Ferris A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5) by Monica Ferris Hanging by a Thread (A Needlecraft Mystery, #6) by Monica Ferris Cutwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #7) by Monica Ferris Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8) by Monica Ferris Embroidered Truths (A Needlecraft Mystery, #9) by Monica Ferris Sins and Needles (A Needlecraft Mystery, #10) by Monica Ferris Knitting Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #11) by Monica Ferris Thai Die (A Needlecraft Mystery, #12) by Monica Ferris Blackwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #13) by Monica Ferris Buttons and Bones (A Needlecraft Mystery, #14) by Monica Ferris

PSEUDONYM (WITH GAIL FRAZER): Margaret Frazer

Sister Frevisse Series
Sister Frevisse is hosteler of the St. Frideswide priory and an amateur sleuth. The series is set in the 15th century.

* NOTE: Our featured author only helped co-write the first in the series, but for completeness sake, in case you'd like to read the entire series, I've listed them all.

* #1 The Novice's Tale 1992
* #2 The Servant's Tale 1993
* #3 The Outlaw's Tale 1994
* #4 The Bishop's Tale 1994
* #5 The Boy's Tale 1995
* #6 The Murderer's Tale 1996
#7 The Prioress' Tale 1997
#8 The Maiden's Tale 1998
#9 The Reeve's Tale 1999
#10 The Squire's Tale 2000
#11 The Clerk's Tale 2002
#12 The Bastard's Tale 2002
#13 The Hunter's Tale 2004
#14 The Widow's Tale 2005
#15 The Sempster's Tale 2006
#16 The Traitor's Tale 2007
#17 The Apostate's Tale 2008

The Novice's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #1) by Margaret Frazer The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2) by Margaret Frazer The Outlaw's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #3) by Margaret Frazer The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4) by Margaret Frazer The Boy's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #5) by Margaret Frazer The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6) by Margaret Frazer The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7) by Margaret Frazer The Maiden's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #8) by Margaret Frazer The Reeve's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #9) by Margaret Frazer The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10) by Margaret Frazer The Clerk's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #11) by Margaret Frazer The Bastard's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #12) by Margaret Frazer The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13) by Margaret Frazer The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14) by Margaret Frazer The Sempster's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #15) by Margaret Frazer The Traitor's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #16) by Margaret Frazer The Apostate's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #17) by Margaret Frazer

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 10, 2011 10:33PM) (new)

AUTHOR: Mary Monica Pulver

Peter Brichter novels

#1 Murder at the War: A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting aka Knight Fall 1987
#2 Ashes to Ashes 1988
#3 The Unforgiving Minutes 1988
#4 Original Sin 1991
#5 Show Stopper 1992

Murder at the War  A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Brichter, Book 1) by Mary Monica Pulver Ashes to Ashes (Brichter, Book 2) by Mary Monica Pulver The Unforgiving Minutes (Brichter, Book 3) by Mary Monica Pulver Original Sin (Brichter, Book 4) by Mary Monica Pulver Show Stopper (Brichter, Book 5) by Mary Monica Pulver

Author's Note: All the above are out of print, except for Murder at the War in a small-press trade paperback.

Working on a "director's cut" version of Original Sin
Die by the Sword, the sixth Peter Brichter novel
Good Intentions, the seventh Peter Brichter novel

Michelle (mgauffant) | 104 comments Fun pick! I've read Embroidered Truths and Crewel Yule.
I'll be picking upCrewel World

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 10, 2011 09:43PM) (new)

Glad you like it Michelle. I have the first 12 of the needlework series and have yet to read them. The author signed the first 6 for me. I met her at a needlecraft shop where she was doing a book signing down in Kansas many years ago. I ran into her later at the B&N doing another book signing and that time found her other book, Murder at the War: A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting. I've read that twice (she also signed it) and love it. It's about the medieval re-enactment group called the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and they have a lil real life murder they have to solve. While doing her bibliography I discovered that Knight Fall/Murder at the War was actually the first in a 5 book series and I just found and ordered the other 4 off PBS so I'll be reading some of those (after rereading the first in the series again since it's been so long).

The author is a really nice lady who dearly loves large outrageous hats! lol In fact, there is a page on her official website just showing off photos of the author wearing just some of her hats. Anyone interested should go peek. :)

Oh, and I just emailed the author to let her know she's been chosen to be featured and invited her to join us next month.

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Knight Fall/Murder at the War is a great book to get someone introduced to the SCA. Obviously, no real murders happen at our events. lol But otherwise, how the event goes is pretty accurate. I never made it as far east as the Pensic War so it was fun for me to read about the "big war". lol If I remember, the mystery part of it was pretty good too as the first time I read it, it had me guessing til the end who did it. Knowing how much I loved that book, and I love cross stitching, I figured I'd love the needlework series which is why I have them. I just havn't found time to read them and I really need to do that! lol

message 6: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:02PM) (new)

Your welcome Kari.

message 7: by Amy (last edited Mar 11, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

Amy (AmyDixon) | 30 comments I have read all 14 of the needlework series and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Also learned some useful tips on crosstitch. It will be fun to search out and find her Margaret Frazer novels.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5706 comments I used to like this series, but stopped reading it after THAI DIE, which I thought was awful. The early books are very good, tho!

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 299 comments I've read several of the needlework books and liked them. I have at least one more that's been in the TBR forever. I'll have to dig that one out. I think it's Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8) by Monica Ferris.

Salena (amommaathome) | 19 comments I have read a couple of the needlework series and really enjoyed them. They were two of the later ones, though. I plan to read Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris.

Marisa (moretta) | 2263 comments I think I'll read Crewel World, too, as it's available at Kindle.

Valorie  | 551 comments I'm going to try Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris

Linda B | 200 comments I am going to read Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris

My choice for April

Judy (julianka) | 46 comments As a cross stitcher and cozy reader I was in heaven when I discovered the Needlework series. I've only read the first two but I intend to keep going, in order. I love the characters as well as the needlework talk! There is a sort of sudden Hitchcockian twist in Crewel World, which I won't mention for those who haven't read it, but it kind of floored me.

Jill (jillgknits) | 4 comments I'm in the process of reading this series. I tend to start with book 1 of a series and then read the entire series to the end. I love her books. They are a lot of fun and the mysteries can keep you guessing. I'm a knitter and now I'm thinking of picking up embroidery because of this series! Enjoy it everyone!

LORI CASWELL (Dollycas) | 37 comments I have thee first 3 books condensed into an omnibus on my TBR pile. It has been there forever, this may give me the push I need to get at it!!

Catherine (catjackson) I read Crewel Worldlong enough ago that it'll be like reading it brand new. My impression is that this was a good book, though.

Liz | 42 comments I have several of the Needlework series books here at home, so I just have to figure out where I left off. But I will also try Murder at the War: A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting. I'm looking forward to this - I used to know people in the SCA in So. CA.

message 20: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

From someone who was in the SCA for a decade (although never made it to Pennsic War)...the book is very accurate as far as the SCA life is like. The author was (or is?) in the SCA so she knew what she was writing about. That's one of the reasons I really love this book, although the mystery is good too.

Kimmie (thatkimmiegirl) | 107 comments I started Framed in Lace over the weekend and I am flying through it.
-Kimmie

Karen Frustrating, but again they did not have these books at my library, but in consolation I was able to find books to cover the theme read so at least in this I can participate.

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 65 comments I enjoyed the first SCA book, but I really love the cross stich books the most.

I have read a couple Frazer books but really liked one and didnt care much for the other as I recall

And I just have to add that she is such a nice person and has some of the funnest hats!

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) Although I read the synopsis when choosing to read Crewel World, I didn't retain the information. So it was with some shock (view spoiler)

It is a CRIME to "waste" an artistically gifted crafter. Period!

The victim's character became even more endearing as the search was on for "who disliked her" enough to kill her. I did not however find myself very interested in the other players. Maybe in a first novel it is too soon to empathize. I'll bet the continuation of the series will develop them further.

I thought that the cause of the motive for murder was quite clever. (view spoiler)

An easy, entertaining read.

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 213 comments Just finished Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica FerrisCrewel World and liked it very much-- I'll be reading more of this series.

Carol   (c2br2) | 275 comments I have had the first few Monica Ferris books in my shelves for a LONG time, so I will try to read Crewel World this month!

Susan | 70 comments I've read all of the Monica Ferris books and like how Betsy has grown into her role of needlework shop owner. I like the books best when they have a lot of "shop talk" about needlework as I am an avid needleworker.

Kimmie (thatkimmiegirl) | 107 comments I finished Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2) by Monica Ferris. I really like this series. I grew up in a small town so I enjoy that part of the story. Betsy and her staff seem like everyday people.
-Kimmie

Marisa (moretta) | 2263 comments I finished Murder at the War  A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Brichter, Book 1) by Mary Monica Pulver. I enjoyed the mystery, but the descriptions about Penssic War were excesive for me. I'll try to find the next in the series, because I liked the main characters.

Liz | 42 comments I finished Murder at the War  A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Brichter, Book 1) by Mary Monica Pulver and thought it was Ok, but don't know if I would look for another in this series. Well, maybe I would try one more just to see.... But I've just read a couple of the Monica Ferris books - Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8) by Monica Ferris & Embroidered Truths (A Needlecraft Mystery, #9) by Monica Ferris. Enjoyed both of them although the "mystery" part of Embroidered Truths seemed a bit of a "throw-away" which since it featured one of the main characters seemed a bit strange. I do like these characters though.

Karen M | 1465 comments Marisa wrote: "I finished Murder at the War  A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Brichter, Book 1) by Mary Monica Pulver. I enjoyed the mystery, but the descriptions about Penssic War were excesive for me. I'll try to find the next in the series, because I liked the mai..."

I've read two other books in this series and they are not about SCA. As I recall they were good!

message 32: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Marisa wrote: "I finished Murder at the War  A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Brichter, Book 1) by Mary Monica Pulver. I enjoyed the mystery, but the descriptions about Penssic War were excesive for me. I'll try to find the next in the series, because I liked the mai..."

This is the only book about the SCA. The main character, a detective continues in the series.

Marisa (moretta) | 2263 comments Thank you by the answers. I'll try to find them at bookmooch (I have too much books at my TBR to buy them in print *ashamed*)

message 34: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I found the rest of the Peter Brichter books (once I realized they were a series when writing all this up) on PBS.

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 299 comments I found Murder at the War  A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Brichter, Book 1) by Mary Monica Pulver at the library. I'm almost half way through it. I like the characters and the mystery. I'll have to see if I can find the others. I'm going to start Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8) by Monica Ferris tonight.

Linda B | 200 comments I have finishedCrewel World for the Featured Author for April. I did enjoy it. I finished it on 4/10. I will continue with the Series. This is the first time I have read her books. Thanks to Goodreads.

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 299 comments I finished Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8) by Monica Ferris last night. I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite in the series. I have a couple more on my shelf that I'll pull out to read/reread.

Carol   (c2br2) | 275 comments I finished Crewel World last Friday (April 15). I really enjoyed it and will read more in the series......I already have several more of them that have been in my shelves for a long time now. Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments I haven't been able to get Crewel World at the library. Has anybody read Thai Death? And, if so, how was it?

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5706 comments Ellie wrote: "I haven't been able to get Crewel World at the library. Has anybody read Thai Death? And, if so, how was it?"

I thought it was awful. I used to read this series faithfully, but this one was the one that made me drop the series.

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments Oh wow-& thanks!

Melissa (mblisa) | 335 comments I love this series, and have already read Crewel World and..4 or 5 others. =)

Kristi (fiberfool) | 40 comments I finished Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris Crewel World about a week ago or so. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I had read Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8) by Monica Ferris Crewel Yule several years go on a whim when the library had it during the holiday season. That meant I knew some of the major plot points already which kind of spoiled it a bit.

Being a MN native though I really enjoyed the characters and the setting. They were pretty much spot on to my experiences living there for 20+ years. I'll definitely make an effort to read more of this series in the future (though I do like to space series out).

Valorie  | 551 comments I finished Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris and I'm sorry to say I was not impressed. I had to force myself to finish it. I didn't find any of the characters likable, and the storyline a little on the boring side. I guess this one just wasn't for me.

Donna | 432 comments I read Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris and was surprised that I liked it as much as I did (I hadn't liked the summary). Now I hope to read through the series so I can read Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8) by Monica Ferris at Christmas.

Melissa (mblisa) | 335 comments Donna wrote: "I read Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1) by Monica Ferris and was surprised that I liked it as much as I did (I hadn't liked the summary). Now I hope to read through the series so I can read [bookcover:Crewel Yule|29..."

=) I like this series also..I have 5 more on my TBR shelf that Im looking forward to reading including Crewel Yule.

message 47: by Dolly (last edited May 23, 2011 03:30AM) (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 23 comments Finally finished Crewel World and I enjoyed it. I would be willing to read more books in this series, although I'm not sure how soon I will get to do so (I have too many other series in my queue!) I also borrowed Murder at the War A Modern-Day Mystery with a Medieval Setting, but didn't even start it in April. I will try to read it soon.

update: It took me most of May but I finally got around to reading Murder at the War A Modern-Day Mystery with a Medieval Setting. While this wasn't my favorite mystery, I think I'd like to read more in the Peter Brichter series.

Now on to Dick Francis...

Melissa | 318 comments Thought I should post here as well, Murder at the War is free right now on Amazon for the kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Day-Myst...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crewel Yule (other topics)
Sins and Needles (other topics)
Unraveled Sleeve (other topics)
Blackwork (other topics)
Crewel World (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Monica Ferris (other topics)
Margaret Frazer (other topics)
Mary Monica Pulver (other topics)