Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Monthly Book Discussion Archive > Lulu's 2011 HP Reading List

Comments (showing 51-69 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

3meg | 361 comments accept not except -sorry! Glad I caused no offense!

message 52: by Lululemon (last edited Aug 22, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Lululemon | 789 comments Mod
The Sultan's Choice (Mills & Boon Modern) by Abby Green The Sultan's Choice by Abby Green.

I don't usually like Abby Green's books 100% because I tend to dislike her heroes, but this was a very enjoyable read for me. Best Abby Green I have read so far.

I am a big sheikh book fan but I have to admit to my ignorance of the actual meaning of and the difference between a sheikh, an emir and a sultan. So I googled it and it was most enlightening:

"An Emir is the King... Sultan is a more decoratory title for king, Sheikh is a title for members of the Royal Family and high ranking diplomats..."

"SHEIKH means the (old man) in arabic language , in the past most of the Arabic tribes leaders and richest were old and day by day it become as the name of Governor or the richest people
EMIR means (the person who gives orders)it was the name of any group leader and day by day it become as the name of Governor or the sons of Governor
Sultan (over rich and who have the power to lead People) it is the name of Governor
Malik = King."

from the website http://www.qatarliving.com/answers/cu...

You can also get some interesting tidbits about sheik romances here and an additional explanation of the meaning of "sheikh":

"Difference between a Sheikh and a Sultan:
Abstractly, the word sultan means strength and authority. A sultan is like a king. Some basic research shows that lands under or previously held under sultan rule could be found anywhere in the East or Middle East. Lands held by a sheikdom are usually solely Arabic. A sheikh in Arabic means "elder" and refers to the elder in a tribe or lord of a tribe. Also it can be in reference to Islamic study and is a title earned upon completion of studies. But in desert romances the title is used as the official title of the Bedouin tribe leader and for nobility."

http://www.loveromancepassion.com/she...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 2078 comments Mod
Thanks for the info, Lulu!

The Shameless Playboy by Caitlin Crews. Egh. Enough said.

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 92 comments lol. that shameless, huh?

message 56: by Lululemon (last edited Aug 12, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Actually, I like the shameless part. I like it a lot. It's the redemption part that's missing and left me totally disappointed, sort of like the ice cream man came and gave out free ice cream but gave away the very last ice cream right before my turn. In front of my very eyes. Extended empty hand with quivering lips and all that.

Ah, heck, now I'm going to have to re-read A Night with the Society Playboy (Nights of Passion) to get my redeemed playboy fix as my really, really, really last cookie book before my HP sabbatical.

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 92 comments how long is th sabbatical going to last?

Hard to say as I never actually seem to get started-*lol*.

message 59: by Lululemon (last edited Sep 02, 2011 07:23PM) (new)

The S Before Ex (Harlequin Presents Extra) by Mira Lyn KellyThe S Before Ex by Mira Lynn Kelly.

I read (or rather attempted to read) a couple of this author's prior books but I really couldn't get into them. In particular, I thought the writing style was rather amateurish and unpolished with rather stilted and contrived stories. But I am glad I gave this one a try because I ended up enjoying this book quite a bit and I have to say this author's writing has improved tremendously. I thought the writing was engaging and the story was compelling and emotion filled. Too much of this book is still based on narrative rather than dialogue and interaction between the characters, but it didn't bother me as much here because so much of the story is predicated in the past and the H/h's nine-year marriage and separation.

For those of you upset about Lynne Graham's Bride for Real, this might be an interesting read to see how things could have turned out for that couple in an alternate (and in my opinion, better) universe.

Another enjoyable Riva book- I give this 4 stars.

Vashti | 705 comments Lululemon wrote: "The S Before Ex (Harlequin Presents Extra) by Mira Lyn KellyThe S Before Ex by Mira Lynn Kelly.

I read (or rather attempted to read) a couple of this author's prior books but I really couldn't get into ..."

I ordered this book after I read part of it online,sounds good.

Lisa | 200 comments I have also ordered this book and can't wait to read it.

Vashti and Lisa- I hope you enjoy it! When I read the title, I thought the book was going to have a flirty and fun tone as many of the Riva books do. It wasn't, however. It was pretty intense and serious, but it was really good nonetheless.

Vashti- (view spoiler).

Vashti | 705 comments Lulu,I am going to take your word on that,as you know,I don't mind spoilers about a book.As long as there was no baby from his "love of a lifetime " after they broke up,I am good,[lol].

Vashti wrote: "Lulu,I am going to take your word on that,as you know,I don't mind spoilers about a book.As long as there was no baby from his "love of a lifetime " after they broke up,I am good,[lol]."

(view spoiler)

Vashti | 705 comments Thanks alot,appreaciate it.Book sounds good,so I am looking forword to reading.

Kate (kateperegrinate) | 447 comments Mod
Lululemon wrote: "The S Before Ex (Harlequin Presents Extra) by Mira Lyn KellyThe S Before Ex by Mira Lynn Kelly.

I read (or rather attempted to read) a couple of this author's prior books but I really couldn't get into ..."

I love, love, loved this book! I agree that it was very heavy on the narrative side (which is usually a huge negative for me), but I somehow find that the author makes it work. It just goes to show that it's not the storytelling technique that's bad, it's the way that it's used that can ruin a book.

But I also liked her previous book, Front Page Affair, which I think many people didn't like.

message 67: by Lululemon (last edited Oct 11, 2011 11:38PM) (new)

Kate wrote: "I love, love, loved this book! I agree that it was very heavy on the narrative side (which is usually a huge negative for me), but I somehow find that the author makes it work. It just goes to show that it's not the storytelling technique that's bad, it's the way that it's used that can ruin a book."

I am so glad I didn't just outright dismiss Mira Lyn Kelly after what Seton termed her "sophomoric attempt" with Front Page Affair. I have to say I found the writing in that book painfully amateurish but The S Before Ex was a world apart- what an incredible improvement.

Another lesson for Lulu- be open minded and give second chances. This was definitely worth it!

And the narrative didn't bother me either- it somehow worked here because so much of the story involved the past and there was also enough real time interaction between the H and h. I think the narrative also helped set up the strong emotions evoked in the book.

"It just goes to show that it's not the storytelling technique that's bad, it's the way that it's used that can ruin a book."

Well said!

Kate (kateperegrinate) | 447 comments Mod
After posting my earlier comment, I realized that this was the third book I've read by Mira Lyn Kelly. I liked Wild Fling or a Wedding Ring? so much that I gave it five stars, but I can't remember much about it apart from the way the characters meet.

Kate wrote: "After posting my earlier comment, I realized that this was the third book I've read by Mira Lyn Kelly. I liked Wild Fling or a Wedding Ring? so much that I gave it five stars, but I ..."

I think I tried to read that one too but didn't get into it. I'll have to dig it up and give it another go.

« previous 1 2 next »