Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Anyone else able to read on the job?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 84) (84 new)    post a comment »

McKenzie | 45 comments Hello, everyone!

Back in December of 2009, I started a brand new job. My job previously was working in retail cashiering and stocking. My new job was in an office at a call center. Or to be more specific, a switchboard for a hospital. It's a pretty small office with under twelve people in it. But one of the things I was shocked to learn about it was that it's perfectly okay to read while on the job. We each have our own little cubicle. Perhaps this isn't so uncommon, but I didn't think when I got hired that they would allow this. I'd never had a job like that before. So in between calls or on slow days, I can read. And if the day is really slow, I can get a lot of reading done. Sometimes I total up almost 200 pages read on a slow day. Thanks to this new job, I have gotten back into reading pretty hardcore. In the last year or so, I've been buying more books than I have in my entire life. I get two or three books done a week, so I go through what I buy quite fast. Every payday I usually treat myself to a few books.

My job may not pay much, but being at a hospital I have good benefits PLUS I get LOTS of reading in while on the clock. :D On slow days it's almost like being paid to read, seriously. I love it!

Is anyone else here lucky enough to have a job that allows reading like this?

Laura That's sweet :D!

Never had a job like that as such..I used to use my lunch breaks to read though at my older job. Was wonderful. And when we had probs with the computer systems I'd spend my time reading unless I was talking.

Dollfaise | 7 comments I used to read while I worked as a cashier. I worked for a pharmacy that was so overpriced that, most of the time, people only came in for medication or a sale so there were times when I'd get to stand and read for a few hours.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I work for a small company and about 2 days a week I am in the office alone, so as long as I have all my work done I can usually get some reading done, that's if you can get me off the internet!

Michelle | 474 comments I do during my lunch break. Now that I have a nook, it seems easier to read on the job for some reason.

Batsap | 117 comments You're so lucky McKenzie, that sounds like the perfect job! And it's great that you've been able to read more.

I work at a used bookstore and when I'm on the till if it's really quiet, I'm allowed to read. At the moment, I'm working my way on and off through The Lost World, because it's on the shelf closest to the till... And I loved Jurassic Park. I just hope no one buys the book before I get a chance to finish it, lol.

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1304 comments Mod
Being a librarian, for me reading on the job can be part of the job. But that's not enough for me, I also like to read on my lunch break. Can you tell I love books? ;-)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 36 comments I'm able to listen to music at my job, so I've downloaded a bunch of unabridged audiobooks onto my ipod and I've been averaging 2 books a week that way. I'm a researcher so I'm pretty much sitting at a computer all day skimming websites and I get a lot of reading/listening done ;)

Erin Germain (Demiguise) | 83 comments Technically, during our slow season, I could read if I chose. As long as my work gets done, my bosses are pretty lenient about stuff like that. I don't read at work though, because I tend to get too involved in my books and shut out everything else. I don't hear phones ringing or see people driving up, which would be a problem. So, I save my reading for when I'm at home or someplace else where I don't have to worry so much about paying attention to my surroundings.

Angie (Angelms) | 5 comments I read at work quite a bit. Its a small office just me and the boss, so as long as my work gets done he doesn't mind. I love the nook download program, so I can read my books right on the computer and when I get home I can just pick up where I left off on my Nook without having to lug any extra bags around.

Beth (VanBurren) | 69 comments My boss doesn't mind if I read as long as I have my work done and we're slow. Sometimes I get a lot of reading done in between customers.

Johanness (FictionWriter16) | 23 comments Now what I would give for a job like that! All the jobs that I want to do in the future involve me talking to people, any part time job I know I'll be getting will involve talking to people... sigh, lucky!

Rebecca | 1 comments I read when in bed, when eating my breakfast, lunch, and dinner, when I am in class, everywhere and anywhere!

McKenzie | 45 comments Looks like some of you are lucky enough to be able to read at work too. I used to read on my lunch at my old job, but I get so much reading done at my current job that I never do so anymore. I still read at home, of course. :) But when you are on the clock for over 8 hours and depending on how busy it is, I get read a majority of the day so when I get home I'm kind of read out, haha! :P

Ashley (ashniss) I always read on my lunch break. I wish I could read at work lol. I am in healthcare staffing...Physician Recruiting actually, so I call ppl like you all day long!

Traci (highxflyer) | 13 comments Technically, I shouldn't, but I have. I teach prek and my kids take a nap during the day. We're supposed to be productive during nap but some days, I don't have anything to do, so I'll read some if the kids aren't waking up. As long as I'm busy when I need to be, I see nothing wrong with it.

Ashley (ashniss) I use to do that when I taught preschool. Nothing wrong with it at all

Debbie | 41 comments Only at lunch.

Jessica (lostsanity137) | 6 comments I can read on my lunch or break. But if I stick my Nook standing next to my computer I can read and work at the same time. Of course, I have my own office so my coworkers don't know about this and I can't do it if I am really busy, but it looks like I am working when I am really reading. :)
I am bad, but it feels soooo good. ;)

Jack (echoicglory) | 41 comments I did... When I had my old job -- I sure miss it. I remember how I can read multiple books in a week, sometimes up to one book per day because the day can be dead slow. It was heaven, but, I had to quit because they were moving to the other side of the city and it was going to be hell to commute... My new job... I can't even read a page! I'm expected to help everyone else when I'm done with my share of work and I have too much as it is... At least there's lunch time to look forward too -- still, when I do feel like cheating, I would read under the table... Right, I am mad... Hahah... But, I really do wish I have your job now lol...

Michelle Holmes I can read as much as I want. Then again I am the boss so.

Debbie | 41 comments That does make a difference.8^)

Jennifer (jsills3) | 54 comments I work as a middle school teacher's aide. I have two classes where all the kids do is AR reading. That usually gives me the opportunity to do some reading of my own.

Danielle (drakenfyre75) | 41 comments I work at a used book store, so I get to read books when it's dead and there are no books that need to be shelved

Fani I too manage to read at work, or rather listen to books. I'm a software developer in name, but I mostly monitor a couple of sites & web applications and do some fine tuning. When there are no problems or new requirements I have enough spare time to surf GR and listen to audiobooks in my iPod. Coworkers though think I'm listening to music while working and I'd really hate for them to find the truth; I don't believe my boss would ever condone it, spare time or not.

Lisa Anne Consiglio (Jrzgirl_1967) | 14 comments When there is absolutely no work to do and the phones are dead then yes I have read a book during work hours. Manager approved of course and well since she has done this as well it is acceptable. But it has been a long time since we have been able to do that.

I reserve my reading time for my lunch hour and I carry a book with me always so whenever I have any down time I make sure I have some reading time!

Nyla (nilly21) | 24 comments Super jealous!! I would LOVE a job like that!

As for me, I can read my book at my 2 half hour breaks if I wanted, but to be honest, 30 minutes is just not long enough. I'm a rather....slower reader, and I'm really anal about stoping mid-chapter. I wish I could read on the job, that would be fantastic!

Krista ~Fhatal Attrhaction~  | 26 comments That's where I get my reading done 80% of the time:)

Abi (abi_b) I work in a museum, and as long as there are no visitors nearby we are allowed to read books. It certainly helps speed up the slow days!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I work in a restaurant as a hostess and cashier on the weekends. So, I get there at 8:00am - 4:00pm. Some days I can finish a book and other days I don't get to read anything. I still love it.

Arminius Yepper, it is the best part of my job.

Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) (amandapearl) I used to work as a night auditor at a privately owned hotel. I would bring books to read, but I also brought my laptop and watched movies and played video games because I literally did nothing for 8 hours.

Jackie makarewicz (jackiexx84) | 2 comments I currently work 2 jobs and at both positions I have the added luxury of being able to read.

At my full time position I work mainly on the computer which limits me to listening to audio books while I work.

My part time job is usually slow, especially in the colder months, and I'm able to get through a book per 8 hour shift :)

Ron Feasel (ronfeasel) | 53 comments I didn't have time in college---worked full time and woorked full time.

Becky (beckyleigh28) My job is boring. I should only be there for 2.5 hours tops to get everything done but I'm there for 8 hrs. I get so much reading done, that sometimes I get sick of reading. (WHICH SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!!)

Reese Copeland (nonfreak) | 46 comments I read on my lunch hour at my second job. Read when I have down time at the main job. At my second job, during the After Thanksgiving sale, I would be responsible for loading the big items (gun safes, big screen tvs,etc) into people's cars. If no one came back (as we had many years of a bust with the sale), I would just sit back and read. They told me not to, but, refused to throw me on the sales floor, so, screw then, I'm reading.

Reese Copeland (nonfreak) | 46 comments Jackie wrote: "I currently work 2 jobs and at both positions I have the added luxury of being able to read.

At my full time position I work mainly on the computer which limits me to listening to audio books wh..."

*wow, very lucky to read so much at work!*

Reese Copeland (nonfreak) | 46 comments Ron wrote: "I didn't have time in college---worked full time and woorked full time."

I could rarely read for pleasure in college.

Jocelin | 143 comments If there is a good book that holds my interest and I can really get into the story, I will bring a book to work. I only get a 1/2 hour lunch break so it makes it difficult to read. I like to read in the comfort of my own home. Sometimes that music in the store drives me nuts.

Briohny (Wakkachuta) | 6 comments I've started reading during my breaks. When I'm on night shift there's not much to do, so I read. Night shift is done in two week blocks and the last time I did night shift I almost got through the three LOTR books.

Ellie (EllieArcher) Sadly as a teacher no. I usually work thru my lunch as well.

R.L. Mathewson (RLMathewson) | 8 comments Looking back I would have to say my favorite jobs were probably ones where I was allowed to read. I hate down time. I can never just stand or sit around.

Sam (Lit-Brit) I am a nanny and read when the kids go to sleep...now that it is getting nice and sunny, if we play outside I read while they run around and burn off their pent up energy!! PERFECT!!!!

Nessa | 10 comments At my office it's just me and my boss (who is pretty much retired anyway). He is never here so sometimes I will break up my day and read in between my work. It makes the day go faster and leaves enough work laying around so I am not behind, but still can show that I have things I am working on during the day.

Arminius YES I can. At least for the next ten months.

WithaK | 1 comments YES! Working from home on a graveyard schedule I read a ton! It makes me wish I wasn't so utterly grossed out by library books so I didn't spend so much money on them! Although I did get so entirely engrossed in a book the other night I completely forgot to do a time sensitive task! Yikes! So now I read and set my alarm on my phone.

Afsana (afsanaz) | 136 comments I work in a call centre. so if quiet and done all the other studff need to do inbetween call then can read

recently though have been not in the mood to read so much

Sophie (theprivatelifeofagirl) I work in a retail store; when we are exceptionally quiet and/or we are short staffed I will read at the counter. I've had a couple of staff members moan about it, however, my boss has never outright said to stop.

I don't see the issue; I only ever read when it's really quiet - I can't bear to do absolutely nothing and why not read whilst I'm standing there? - and I have never ignored a customer - I can see anyone approaching in my peripheral vision before they get close.

Ron Feasel (ronfeasel) | 53 comments I will offer a coupon for a free download of my crime fiction novel at smash words if anyone is interested

McKenzie | 45 comments Becky wrote: "My job is boring. I should only be there for 2.5 hours tops to get everything done but I'm there for 8 hrs. I get so much reading done, that sometimes I get sick of reading. (WHICH SHOULD NEVER HAP..."

I get that way too! I read so much at my job that sometimes I simply must stop. That's when I do other things like doodle or word searches. Sometimes I bring my Nintendo DS to play when boss man leaves, haha! Or I get online on my phone.

Tomorrow is my weekend to work. It's very quite, just two people in the office. We don't get many calls on the weekend. I get lots of reading done. Sometimes I get over halfway through a book. I am starting a new series tomorrow I have been waiting to read forever so in a way I am actually excited to go into work. :P

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lost World (other topics)
Jurassic Park (other topics)
Then We Came to the End (other topics)