Julie Orringer Discussion Group discussion

My new project...

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie Orringer | 9 comments Mod
Because so many have asked what I'm writing about next, I thought I'd put the answer in a separate topic so that it can easily be found.

The new novel is about Varian Fry, the New York journalist who went to Marseille in 1940 to save 200 Jewish and anti-Nazi writers, artists, and intellectuals who had fled to occupied France and had been blacklisted by the Gestapo. His clients all faced deportation to Germany if they were caught; originally he had a month to try to find them and get them out, but he ended up staying for more than a year and saving nearly two thousand men and women, among them Max Ernst, Hannah Arendt, Marc Chagall, André Breton, and Lion Feuchtwanger. I’m writing his story as a novel; fictional events occur alongside real ones.

Mark (MAB1) Julie,
That sounds fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing with us. It will be a true test of patience to have to wait.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Julie, That book will go on my to-read list as soon as we can get it in Goodreads' database. It sounds fabulous and it's definitely my cup of tea! Thanks for sharing a bit about it.

LynnB Sounds like another amazing story. I'll be watching for it.

Chrissie This too I must read!

Suesyl | 1 comments I, too, eagerly await this new book.

Madelene | 2 comments Splendid! Am waiting to read your new book with eager anticipation.

unread topics | mark unread