The Dark Side of the Moon discussion

Challenges > "Down Under Wunders: The Darksiders" [Duration: 2 months]

Comments (showing 1-50 of 111) (111 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Steph, Twisted Sister (last edited Mar 21, 2011 03:04AM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 736 comments Mod
For our first group reading challenge, I thought I'd pick something that will get us exploring some DUF authors. So, why not DUF Authors Down Under? :D

"Down Under Wunders: The Darksiders"
Duration: 2 months (Starting on/after 15 March; set your own dates)

Rules:
(1) Read 2 books. Pick the books from those written by one of the Aussie or Kiwi authors who write the "Darkside DownUnder" blog ~ LINK: http://darksidedownunder.blogspot.com/

** I've included a link to the author's GR page, if they have one. If they don't, I found some have yet to be published. If you have problems finding a book by one of the authors below, let me know. Several are better known (Keri Arthur, Tracey O'Hara, Erica Hayes, etc) than others.

(2) When you've finish each book, answer the following questions:
Have you read anything by this author before? If so, which book(s)? Will you read more books by this author? What did you think of the book?

"The Darksiders"
Jess Anastasi
Maree Anderson
Keri Arthur
Amanda Ashby
H.C. Brown
Kitty Bucholtz
Astrid Cooper
Rowena Cory Daniells
Michelle de Rooy
Jessica Dorney
Theresa Fuller
C.T. Green
Kylie Griffin
Wendy Godding
Linda Jones (common name ... no sure which)
Loretta Kelly
Eleni Konstantine
Emmeline Lock
Pia Moonglow
Nicole Murphy
My short stories are published as Nicole R Murphy, my novels as Nicole Murphy
Erica Hayes
Shona Husk
Shannah Jay
Janni Nell
Tracey O'Hara
Christina Phillips
Paula Roe
Denise Rossetti
Jenny Schwartz
Nicola E. Sheridan
Bec Skrabl
Nicky Strickland
Mel Teshco
Joanne Vogel

3/21/11: ETA - Nicole wrote with her GR links. :) Thanks, Nicole!

message 2: by Josie (last edited Apr 28, 2011 05:26AM) (new)

Josie | 102 comments Sounds interesting Steph! I'll take part in this, I'll spend some time browsing later :)

Down Under Wunders: The Darksiders

#1. Erica Hayes: Hellcursed (25/04) ★★1/2

>Have you read anything by this author before?
Nope
>Will you read more books by this author?
Probably but won't be rushing out to hunt down the rest of the series anytime soon.
>What did you think of the book?
A good introduction to some of the characters and world, lots of potential. It kept my interest but I wasn't blown away. If I see the rest of the series I'll read them however seeing as it was a novella, I couldn't definitely tell if I this will be something I'll like :)

#2. Keri Arthur: Kissing Sin (28/04) ★★★1/2

>Have you read anything by this author before?
Yes
>If so, which book(s)?
Full Moon Rising
>Will you read more books by this author?
Yes!
>What did you think of the book?
After reading the first in the series last year, I really did not expect to read the rest (I gave it 2stars). I don't know whether I was in a bad mood, have now gotten used to the world/characters or if this one was just better in general but I actually really enjoyed 'Kissing Sin'. In this one, Riley wakes up naked next to a dead man in a mysterious compound-like place with a memory blank of the last week or so. As well as escaping, she goes on the hunt to find out what happened and who the baddies are. The more I read, the more I'm finding myself liking Riley. Didn't really get on with her in the first book but we are working out our differences as the books progress. The ending was a little abrupt (and sad) but I'm looking forward to reading the next one, which I'll do pretty soon! :D

Hellcursed (Shadowfae, #0) by Erica Hayes Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian, #2) by Keri Arthur

2/2 completed

message 3: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Yay! Me too, I need to check out some I'm not familiar with to see if I can find something new-2-me to read. :)

Inga | 17 comments Finally!!! I was so looking forward to the challenges in this group :)

I'm in! Will post later.

message 5: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

:D Yay! Welcome, Inga! I've got some others in the works. So, no worries. We will not be challenge-less.

Inga | 17 comments Great!!! :D

message 7: by Steph, Twisted Sister (last edited Mar 08, 2011 02:11AM) (new)

:D you know me!

I've also created a poll to help choose our first group series read, if you're interested in joining us.

Inga | 17 comments Done - my choice is official now :)

message 9: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Yay :) Thanks for castin' your vote.

message 10: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

Sandra | 156 comments Mod
I'm in, will post soon with the list.

Kerstin | 31 comments Yay, another challenge! Of course I'm in. Will post my list soon.

message 12: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Apr 24, 2011 02:45PM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 32 comments I'm picking Keri Arthur because I all ready own a few by her. I've read the first 2 of the Riley Jenson series and both books in the Ripple Creek Werewolf duology.

1/2 read

1. Circle of Fire ★★☆☆☆ Apr 23
2. Circle of Death

Circle of Fire (Damask Circle, #1) by Keri Arthur Circle of Death (Damask Circle, #2) by Keri Arthur

message 13: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

DSotM Down Under Wunders: The Darksiders Challenge
Duration: 2 months (Starting on/after 15 March)

Picked these 2 from my tbr pile. Yay. Plus Denise is one of my GR friends and its about time I read one of her books.

0/2 Completed

1. Mel Teshco - Ice-Cold Lover
2. Denise Rossetti - The Flame and The Shadow

Ice-Cold Lover (Winged and Dangerous, #2) by Mel Teshco The Flame and The Shadow (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #1) by Denise Rossetti

Vivian (_vivian) Australia's getting a lot of love! I think this is the third challenge this year having me read the 'down under wunders'. I'll do some browsing and post later :)

message 15: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I'm picking Keri Arthur because I all ready own a few by her. I've read the first 2 of the Riley Jenson series and both books in the Ripple Creek Werewolf duology.

0/2 read

1. [book:Circle of Fir..."

I'll be looking forward to your review, Ames. I have read Riley & RCW as well. I might even have those too. I like Keri's writing.

message 16: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Sandra wrote: "DSotM Down Under Wunders: The Darksiders Challenge
Duration: 2 months (Starting on/after 15 March)

Picked these 2 from my tbr pile. Yay. Plus Denise is one of my GR friends and its about time I re..."

:D Glad you have an opportunity to check out a friends' work, very cool.

message 17: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Vivian wrote: "Australia's getting a lot of love! I think this is the third challenge this year having me read the 'down under wunders'. I'll do some browsing and post later :)"

:D

message 18: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Wow! I browsed through the author's book lists and LOTS of PNR, some ePNR. I'm all for it, but was hoping for more UFish reads.

I was going to buy Scary Kisses by Nicole R. Murphy b/c it's an anthology with a lot of the bunch listed, but $25?! For a 208 page book? Really? Sorry, but no.

I did find a couple that I added to my wishlist:

Magical Gains by Nicola E. Sheridan - Genies, Satyrs & Sirens, could be hot, right? ;)

Thief of Light (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #2) by Denise Rossetti - "When Prue McGuire is kidnapped by the Necromancer-an evil entity that feasts on souls-Erik the Golden must harness his air Magick to recover the woman he has come to love more than life itself." Duh-duh-dun :D

Stone-Cold Lover (Winged and Dangerous, #1) by Mel Teshco - Gargoyles - nice. :)

message 19: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

After all that, I've decided to stick with Keri. I have #1 and will be buying #2 of her Myth & Magic series. But, I'll wait a bit before starting, since #2 is due in April, I believe.

Duration: 2 months - start TBD
Reading: 2 books by Keri Arthur

Read: 0/2

1: Destiny Kills
2: Mercy Burns

Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic, #1) by Keri Arthur Mercy Burns (Myth and Magic, #2) by Keri Arthur

Vivian (_vivian) Oh, Destiny Kills has the funny beginning, right? I think I'm going to be a copycat.

0 of 2 complete

1. Destiny Kills
2. Mercy Burns

message 21: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Yeah, I think I've heard something about the beginning, just can't remember what it was. ;)

Inga | 17 comments Here is my initial list (to be cut to two in few months :)):

Secret Ones (Dream of Asarlai #1) by Nicole Murphy Carnal Moon by Mel Teshco Darkness Unbound (Dark Angels #1) by Keri Arthur Destiny Kills (Myth and Magic, #1) by Keri Arthur Dancing with the Devil (Nikki & Michael, #1) by Keri Arthur

I haven't decided yet when I'll start my two months period as I have several books I really want to read in the near future :)

I've already read first two Dark Brethren books by Tracey O'Hara and I liked them.
Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1) by Tracey O'Hara Death's Sweet Embrace (A Dark Brethren Novel, #2) by Tracey O'Hara

message 23: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Nicole Murphy's series sounds interesting. I'll have to check the library for that one. I'm anxious to read Keri's newest "Dark Angels" series. I recently finished reading her "Nikki & Michael" series. They were her first series, I think, and you can tell (if you've ever read her Riley series). But, I really enjoyed them. Hope you do too. :)

message 24: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

Hey, Steph the Denise Rossetti book you listed Thief of Light (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #2) by Denise Rossetti is book #2 of my pick, which I also have. Just been released MMP.

Kelli (incababy32) | 58 comments I just read the description of Stone-Cold Lover (Winged and Dangerous, #1) by Mel Teshco - too too funny!

message 26: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Oh, thanks, Sandra. I'll make note of the series, in case I find them down the road.

LOL Kelli! Yeah, that one s/b interesting. ;)

message 27: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

Kelli wrote: "I just read the description of Stone-Cold Lover (Winged and Dangerous, #1) by Mel Teshco - too too funny!"

And that one Kelli is book #1 of my other pick. Though I'm jumping straight to #2.

message 28: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

Ames you'll have to tell me what you think of Damask Circle, I picked up #2 somewhere cheap and have been debating getting the rest.

message 29: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Ditto for me, Ames. Well, interested in your thoughts, I don't have them yet. But, after reading her N&M series, I thought about tracking them down.

Kerstin | 31 comments I'm picking Keri Arthur as I already started a couple of her series, but never got further than book #1.

1. Hearts in Darkness
2. Chasing the Shadows

Hearts in Darkness (Nikki & Michael, #2) by Keri Arthur Chasing the Shadows (Nikki & Michael, #3) by Keri Arthur

Inga | 17 comments Steph wrote: "Nicole Murphy's series sounds interesting. I'll have to check the library for that one. I'm anxious to read Keri's newest "Dark Angels" series. I recently finished reading her "Nikki & Michael" ..."

Yeah, Dark Angels got my attention for sure :) I remember reading the first book of Riley's series. Then I found out about that triangle ;) hate them hate them.. I like action with normal romance development - no triangles, no 'soap-opera' intrigues or staggering. That's why I loved Queen of Shadows and was not so happy about the romance development in Shade's story in Desire Unchained. If you get my idea ;)

message 32: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Gotcha. :) There wasn't much of a triangle in Riley other than a book or two. But, I definitely understand you and others that just don't wanna read them. They can be frustrating. :)

message 33: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Kerstin wrote: "I'm picking Keri Arthur as I already started a couple of her series, but never got further than book #1.

1. [book:Hea..."

I enjoyed that one, Kerstin, hope you do too! I'm looking forward to your reviews. :)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) Decisions, decisions. I bought a kindle yesterday and I'm hoping, hoping, hoping, it arrives before next weekend. Then I'll break the book budget a bit more (it's already groaning and it's only March!) and buy some lovely online reads. So, this is the perfect challenge for me.

But who to choose? The problem is I'm a member of Dark Side DownUnder and I seriously can't choose between the great authors. I know, that's a pretty wonderful problem to have. But if I have to list two, here they are from my wishlist:

Sanctuary by Jess Anastasi
Allegra Fairweather  Paranormal Investigator by Janni Nell

message 35: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

OOOhhhh, good ones Jenny :)

Vivian (_vivian) Have fun with the Kindle! I love mine, but have found the book budget has increased *just a tad* since she came into my life. Be careful of the 'buy now' one click, it's evil :D

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) Vivian, I can see it happening...stealing money from the dog's toy budget to feed my kindle habit.

*I'm joshing. Toby the golden retriever is about to get a new kong toy (his old puzzle toy having broken), but he is just as happy "finding" old tea towels hidden around the yard. I guess dogs are like toddlers, equally happy to play with the packaging as much as the expensive toy.

Vivian (_vivian) I know what you mean! You get a kid this shiny cool toy, and they prefer the box it came in because they fit in it and can pretend it's a house. You cut in a window, give them some markers to decorate and they're set for HOURS. (speaking from experience if you couldn't tell, lol)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) Yup, I could *see* the exasperated but amused look on your face as the expensive toy is ignored :)

message 40: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Jenny, I read Allegra Fairweather as a NetGalley freebie. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

message 41: by Jenny (last edited Mar 13, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) In trying to edit in the cover image I've lost half my post. Sigh.

I was just saying how much I love Carina Press covers-- and not just because I'm a Carina author-- abd that Badlands is possibly my fave with its vintage film poster style.

Badlands by Seleste deLaney

I'll definitely be sharing my thoughts on the two reads, Sanctuary and Allegra. In fact, my big challenge in life is NOT sharing my thoughts. As my sister has long-sufferingly said (after being trapped, not literally, in a car with me), "Do you have opinions on everything?" Uh, yeah. :)

message 42: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

LOL! Well, you're opinions are welcome. Please do share! I find I like their covers too.

Laura Lulu (LauraLulu) | 44 comments Mod
I'm with you Inga. I hate triangles. Especially if I like both guys. Someone is always going to get hurt, and it makes me like the heroine less when she's leading on 2 guys and hurting them both. Yes, I hate triangles. :)

Since I just bought the 1st two, I'm going to read these:

Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1) by Tracey O'Hara Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2) by Tracey O'Hara

message 44: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

I'm looking forward to your reviews on those, Laura. The first one was okay for me. I read it right after a 5★ book I really liked and I'm not sure if it suffered b/c of that or what. I'll probably read #2 eventually to give the series another shot.

I was buying a secondhand copy of Song of Scarabaeus on abebooks.com and the seller also had the 1st two Dark Brethrens, so I threw them in. We'll see...

message 46: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

I really enjoyed Song of Scarabaeus. Hope you like it.

Inga | 17 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "I'm with you Inga. I hate triangles. Especially if I like both guys. Someone is always going to get hurt, and it makes me like the heroine less when she's leading on 2 guys and hurting them both. Y..."

Exactly! :)
In addition to that, my personality cannot comprehend how one can love two - I'm a one-man girl ;)

message 48: by Laura Lulu (last edited Mar 13, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Yes. I'm semi-ok with it if she isn't dating one and thinking about/sleeping with the other. If she is just torn between 2 guys but hasn't made up her mind either way yet. But I hate the cheating ones.

Shifters/Werecats spoiler (view spoiler)

And I hate triangles because I can never fully invest in a guy character. What if she doesn't pick him? Then I'll hate the book, and I don't want that, so I can never put all my eggs in one guy's basket. ;)

Inga | 17 comments I have nothing else to add now ;)

Vivian (_vivian) Usually, I'm a one-man girl too, but if you wanna go back and forth for the duration of one book, I've learned to live with it. Longer than that, make a decision woman! It can put a damper on what would otherwise be an awesome trilogy (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3