Goodreads Feedback discussion

Unsolicited Praise > A user’s guide to websites, part 1: If it wasn’t broken why fix it?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2037 comments Someone in another tech support forum linked me to this great article on what happens behind the scenes in website management. I have no idea if this is accurate with respect to Goodreads, but I imagine at least parts of it are. The part discussing automated recommendation systems seems especially relevant.

http://revdancatt.com/2010/09/27/a-us...

Thanks to everyone on the staff who puts up with us - the always vocal 5%.

Mods, feel free to put this in a more appropriate folder. I wasn't sure where it fit.

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11575 comments Mod
Rebecca, that was fascinating! And even don't-speak-programming me understood it. :)

Thanks for the link.

message 3: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5184 comments I loved that link. It was both informative and very funny. Thank you mlady_rebecca. I laughed out loud at,

" 0.1% of users argue about the merits of scaling in PHP vs Python vs Their Favourite Language, they write a blogpost about it (using their own blogging platform they wrote themselves in 1997)".

I always laugh when I see it.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8433 comments Rebecca, That is so great. And it sure sounds like Goodreads, and we're not even paying members. Very funny, and informative too.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments I do love that article -- thank you! :)

Here's a similar one in which GR folks here in Feedback might also recognize ourselves be interested: Why more options are generally bad UI.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8433 comments Cait, Us?! Ha!

message 7: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2037 comments Thanks for the additional article, Cait.

Is it bad that I'm considering looking for Scrivener, despite the fact that he was using it as a counter example of good practices? *g*

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 329 comments I love the two articles and I've sent to my colleagues at work (I'm a SW programmer ;) )

message 9: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) | 1977 comments Mod
hahahaha

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3266 comments Let's remember this thread and refer new folks to it when they ask "Why won't GR do this?"

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3266 comments Ooh - Did that sound 'clique-y?' I didn't mean it that way, Sorry!

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments Wow, those are both great.

message 13: by M a y a (last edited Mar 11, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

M a y a (M-a-y-a) | 133 comments Great articles, mlady_rebecca and Cait! They have a great insight into how things work behind the scenes. But, IMHO, the people we work with in Goodreads Feedback are more sophisticated than feedback from 99% of other sites! It's always great to get your take on things. :)

message 14: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 11, 2011 01:51PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 351 comments Mlady, that article was excellent! Thanks so much for posting the link!

Cheryl, I agree that the article should be referred to GR users who ask that question... = )

message 15: by Marla (new)

Marla | 60 comments Love it! So true. In fact, I never used to suggest anything because I always worried about impact on resources, but now I figure, hey, I'll suggest it and someone smarter than me might be able to implement it in an effective way.

unread topics | mark unread