Terminalcoffee discussion

Food / Drink > The TC Recipe Box

Comments (showing 1-50 of 306) (306 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I thought it would be nice to have a thread just to collect the various recipes we've posted into one handy locale.

Here's the turkey lentil chili recipe I just added to the "Our daily bread" thread:

Brown a pound or two of ground turkey in a stock pot with minced onions and garlic. Two pounds makes a nice, thick chili. I'd use one pound if you want it more soupy. I like a nice Walla Walla sweet onion, but a plain old yellow or white onion will do.

Once browned, add two cans of diced tomatoes, a jar of salsa (whatever flavor you prefer -- I like black bean & corn, but yesterday I used lime & garlic and OMG yum!), a couple of cans of broth (chicken or vegetable) and about half a bag of dried green lentils. Season to taste (I used chili powder and a bit of curry), then simmer until done.

This can be done on the stove top, or I've also used the BunWat Method of dumping it all into a cast iron dutch oven and baking it in the oven on 250 for four or five hours. Last night I just simmered on the stove top because of timing. It was thick and delicious, but also a healthier alternative to beef & bean chili.

Sometimes I dice celery and a green bell pepper and throw that in too.

message 2: by Misha (last edited Mar 07, 2011 01:35PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) From the same thread, Bun's awesome bread recipe:

No Knead Bread 101.

Combine

1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast
2 cups flour
1 cup water

Mix well with a spoon until all the liquid is incorporated. Use a bowl large enough to allow the dough to double in size at least. Your dough will be very wet and shaggy, do not worry about it. Cover the bowl loosely, with a plate or a towel, not a sealed lid, and set it aside on the counter or anyplacefor 8-12 hours.

When you come back to it the dough will have bubbles in it and smell like beer. Do not worry its supposed to be like that. Take about half a cup of flour and start working it into the dough bit by bit. Sprinkle and stir, eventually you will get enough flour in to stiffen the dough up to where you can pick it up. Pick it up and knead in a bit more flour, the objective here is to make it look more like a conventional bread dough, although still a little wet.

Clean out your bowl and oil it lightly, then put the dough back in and cover again, for 2-3 hours or up to 5. When you are ready to bake, start with a cold oven. Put the cast iron pan in with its lid on. If it is not thoroughly seasoned, wipe the inside with a bit of oil to prevent sticking. Turn the oven, with the pan inside up to 450.

When the oven is hot, put the bowl with the dough on the counter ready to go, then whip the pan out of the oven, pull off the lid, dump in the dough, put the lid back on and zip, back in the oven for 30 minutes. At the end of 30 minutes pull the pan out and check the loaf. It will likely not be quite done, still a bit pale. You can pull the loaf out of the pan at this point and stick it back in the oven to brown up, or just pull the lid off the pan and put it back. Usually its done somewhere between 30-40 minutes.

---

And some variations she offered once you get the basic recipe down:

1 tbsp sugar or...
honey, or molasses, or brown sugar or agave or any other sweetener - each will change the flavors. I like molasses if I'm doing a brown loaf, and orange blossom honey if I'm doing a sweet loaf.
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast
2 cups flour including...
Any combination of white, wheat, rye, spelt, oat, etc.
Up to 1/4 cup of whole grains, nuts, seeds, and/or dried fruit.
Up to 1/2 cup of any combination of liquids which could include
Up to a tbsp of olive oil
Yogurt, kefir, sour cream
Apple juice or cider.
You could even go crazy and use a little coffee, or orange juice or tea for as sweet loaf.
Then the other 1/2 cup water

Same recipe, you just use different combinations. One I really like is molasses, all whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup of seven grain cereal (unsweetened), and a half cup of whey from making yogurt cheese.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13812 comments This is a GREAT idea.

message 4: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I will gladly accept help from anyone who wants to comb through some of the food threads and post other recipes. I can only get away with doing so much while on the job. ;)

message 5: by Misha (last edited Mar 07, 2011 02:04PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Sally's very simple, but very tasty-sounding, cheese enchilada casserole (I had to scroll past a lot of boobs for this one):

I sauteed an onion, added a can of enchie sauce, a few handfuls of cheese, melted the cheese, and then put in a half bag of mashed chips. Topped it with more cheese, and baked it for a while at 250.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

From Jackie The Librarian

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The Frosting and the following chockie cake are a brilliant combination.

From Mandy

devil's food chocolate cake

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup hot coffee
* 1 cup milk or soy milk
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 325.

2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add oil, coffee and milk and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat 2 more minutes. Expect batter to be thin.

3.Pour into a 9" x 13" greased and floured pan or 2- 9" round pans. Bake 9 x 13 pan for about 45 minutes or 9" pans for about 30 minutes. Cool in pans for about 15 minutes and then cool completely on racks.

message 8: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Thanks, Gail!

*wanders off to forage for workplace chocolate*

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments from sarah pi (from moosewood)

Here's my loose recollection:
Peel and thinly slice 5 cups of sweet potatoes (I had really small ones, so I can't tell you how many normal ones that would be)
chop 2 cups of apple
i chopped one big mama onion. I can't remember how many cups it was supposed to be.
chop 2 cloves of garlic
chop some celery - that was the only thing I forgot to get, so I only had one stalk. I think it was supposed to be 1 cup
chop 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

put 2 tablespoons of oil in a soup pot and saute onion and garlic at the bottom for a few minutes.

Add everything listed above, plus 1 cup water, 4 cups vegetable broth, cinammon, salt, pepper.

Cover and bring to a boil.
After it boils, bring it down to a simmer and cook for twenty minutes or until the sweet potatoes and apples are soft (20 minutes for me)
Add 1 cup of unsweetened apple juice.
If you want, add more peppers in adobo sauce (I didn't, but I put in a dash of dried chipotle)
Blend (it said put it in a blender but I used the immersion blender).

message 10: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments from sarah pi:

Can you get soy sauce? And a fresh green veggie like bok choy or brocolli, and maybe some carrots?
Dice up some ginger and an onion and one of the chilis,and a clove or two of garlic, all really small.
Heat some olive oil.
Add the onion, let it saute until translucent.
Add the chili and the ginger and the soy sauce and the garlic.
Add whatever veggies you've obtained.
Salt & pepper to taste.
Put that over either the vermicelli or the rice.

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments from bunwat:

Combine 1 tsp grated ginger, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 diced chili, 1-2 tsp mustard, 1 Tbsp honey, 1/4 cup of port wine, sweet vermouth, sherry, or anything along those lines - or you can use a combo of rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. Marinate thin slices of chicken or duck, scallops, bits of pork or whatever in it and then quick pan fry them in a bit of oil, it will form a rich tasting super delicious glaze.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments What a delightful idea!

message 13: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i haven't made that bunwat recipe, but i can already see it as part of a delicious noodle dish.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
Ha ha. Misha had to scroll past boobs to find mine. :P

message 15: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments your boobs?

message 16: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) They were boobs belonging to assorted female chefs.

And here's another bread recipe from Koeeoaddi:

This is the best bread recipe I've tried since the no-knead one I gave Bun. You can endlessly screw around with it; I've made it with Parmesan, oregano, rosemary and dill. I've also made it with cheddar, cayenne (or Tabasco), black pepper and basil. It's light and high and perfect and not much trouble to put together:

From 'Chefguy' on the SDMB:

Herb-Parmesan Bread

4 ¼ cups sifted flour
2 pkg. active dry yeast (check date)
2 TBSP sugar
2 TSP salt
1½ TBSP dried oregano leaves
½ cup plus 1 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese (or combine with Romano or Asiago)
2 cups warm water (130 deg.F)
2 TBSP softened butter

In a mixing bowl, place three cups of the flour. Add salt, yeast, sugar, and oregano and mix on low speed or by hand until blended. Check the temperature of the water with a thermometer. This is critical for the yeast to properly activate. Add the water and softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add the ½ cup of Parmesan cheese. Continue beating for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth. Add the rest of the flour gradually, either beating in by hand or with mixer at low speed. The batter should not be too wet. If it is, add a bit more sifted flour, or you’ll end up with a dense product.

Cover the bowl and let rise in warm place for about 45 minutes until double in bulk. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Beat the dough down for about 30 seconds, then transfer to a well-greased 2-quart casserole dish. [Note: I use two loaf pans, same bake time.] Cover and let rise for a short period, perhaps 15 minutes. This allows the batter to rise a bit, but not double. If it rises too much, it will be full of air holes.

Sprinkle the remaining TBSP of cheese over the top of the bread and bake for about 45 minutes or until nicely browned. Turn out immediately onto a wire rack. It helps to run a table knife around the dish to break the loaf loose before attempting to turn it out onto the rack. Otherwise, part of it may remain in the dish.

message 17: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i thought the way sally phrased it sounded like you had to scroll past boobs to get to her boobs.

message 18: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Amelia's Yorkshire pudding topped with chili:

Just do the Yorkshire batter like normal, but put the oil (or fat as you prefer) into a round cake pan rather than muffin tin. It makes one HUGE one. Then, when it's all hot and crispy, fresh out of the oven, ladle some of your chili right in there...sprinkle a little cheese and onion and enjoy.

----

And here's a Yorkshire pudding recipe I found online (there's also an instructional video if you visit the link):

http://britishfood.about.com/od/regio...

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Depends on size of tin used.
Ingredients:

* 4 large, fresh eggs, measured in a jug
* Equal quantity of milk to eggs
* Equal quantity of all purpose/plain flour to eggs
* Pinch of salt
* 2 tbsp lard, beef dripping or vegetable oil

Preparation:
Serves 6

* Heat the oven to the highest temperature possible, however, do not exceed 450F/230C or the fat may burn.

* Pour the eggs and milk into a large mixing bowl and add the pinch of salt. Whisk thoroughly with an electric hand beater or hand whisk. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.

* Gradually sieve the same volume of flour (as the eggs) into the milk and egg mixture, again using an electric hand beater or hand-whisk to create a lump free batter resembling thick cream, if there are any lumps pass the batter through a fine sieve.

* Leave the batter to rest in the kitchen for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible - up to several hours.

* Place a pea-sized piece of lard, dripping or ½tsp vegetable oil into your chosen Yorkshire pudding tin, or a 4 x 2"/5cm hole tin or 12-hole muffin tin and heat in the oven until the fat is smoking. Give the batter another good whisk adding 2 tbsps of cold water and fill a third of each section of the tin with batter and return quickly to the oven.

* Leave to cook until golden brown approx 20 minutes. Repeat the last step again until all the batter is used up.

Serving Yorkshire Pudding

o In Yorkshire serving the pudding is traditionally with gravy as a starter dish followed by the meat and vegetables. More often smaller puddings cooked in muffin tins are served alongside meat and vegetables.

o Yorkshire pudding isn't reserved only for Sunday lunch. A large pudding filled with a meaty stew or chili is a dish in its own right.

o Cold left-over Yorkshire Puddings make a lovely snack with a little jam or honey.

o Yorkshire Puddings do not reheat well, becoming brittle and dry.

message 19: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) janine wrote: "i thought the way sally phrased it sounded like you had to scroll past boobs to get to her boobs."

I'll leave it to the guys to respond to that. ;)

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Misha wrote: "janine wrote: "i thought the way sally phrased it sounded like you had to scroll past boobs to get to her boobs."

I'll leave it to the guys to respond to that. ;)"

All I can say is that I hate scrolling *past* boobs.

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments janine wrote: "from bunwat:

Combine 1 tsp grated ginger, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 diced chili, 1-2 tsp mustard, 1 Tbsp honey, 1/4 cup of port wine, sweet vermouth, sherry, or anything along those lines - or yo..."

i made this today for dinner, with duck (my first attempt at cooking with duck). the result:

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments How do you like duck janine? I've tried it a couple times, but never really cared for it.

message 23: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments the last time i had duck i didn't like it, but in this recipe i do like it.

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Did you marinate the duck?

message 25: by Barb (last edited Mar 10, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Barb | 11266 comments Mod
Did you have some quackers with it?

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments You're not going to "bill" me for your answers are you?

message 27: by Barb (new)

Barb | 11266 comments Mod
he he

message 28: by janine (last edited Mar 10, 2011 10:13AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jim wrote: "Did you marinate the duck?"

yes, for ten minutes. i fried it in a wok until done on the outside. i then transfered it to a smaller pan to get the glaze going (i think i put too much port in). i left a tiny bit of the marinade in the wok and added vegetables (cabbage, bean sprouts, carrot, leek and the other half of the red chili). meanwhile in a seperate pan i cooked two packets of ramen noodles. the spices and extra chili from the noodles i added to the vegetables with some water. when the noodles were done i drained them and added them to the vegetables, along with the duck.

message 29: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments that was not a serious question was it?

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Jim wrote: "Did you marinate the duck?"

I was going to do that once until I realized I had to get up at the quack of dawn.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments janine wrote: "Jim wrote: "Did you marinate the duck?"

yes, for ten minutes. i fried it in a wok until done on the outside. i then transfered it to a smaller pan to get the glaze going (i think i put too much p..."

That does sound good.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments janine wrote: "that was not a serious question was it?"

Mine was just a stupid joke about a duck's bill.

message 33: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments english is only my second language so once the punning starts i feel a bit cripple.

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I sometimes think English is my second language too. I don't really have a first.

message 35: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) That looks really tasty. In general, I find duck has a more gamey flavor than I care for, but I just may not have tried the right dish. I think I've only had duck in Chinese restaurants, for example.

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6774 comments I have a recipe to share.

Jamie Oliver's
Caesar On the Light Side
Food and Wine, March 2011

1/3 c. low fat or nonfat Greek yogurt (plain)
2 anchovy fillets, mashed (I substituted some anchovy paste)
1 garlic clove, minced (i like more garlic)
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 Cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1 large head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces

1. in a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in the olive oil and half of the parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2. In a large bowl, toss the romaine with half the dressing and the remaining parmesan cheese. Serve, passing the remaining dressing at the table.

message 37: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Mmm. Sounds delicious.

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6774 comments It's really good. We had it for Ash Wednesday dinner. It would be nice with some shrimp or grilled chicken in it. Or maybe some salmon.

message 39: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I am also going to post this in the eggs thread. I made this and I'm a pretty bad cook, and it came out okay, so if the rest of you make it it should be really delicious.

SPAGHETTI WITH FRIED EGGS (the Minimalist)

Time: 20 minutes

Salt
1/2 pound thin spaghetti
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or lard
2 large cloves garlic, lightly smashed and peeled
4 eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese, optional.

1. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Start the sauce in the next step, and start cooking the pasta when the water boils.

2. Combine garlic and 4 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic, pressing it into the oil occasionally to release its flavor; it should barely color on both sides. Remove the garlic, and add the remaining oil.

3. Fry the eggs gently in the oil, until the whites are just about set and the yolks still quite runny. Drain the pasta, and toss with the eggs and oil, breaking up the whites as you do. (The eggs will finish cooking in the heat of the pasta.) Season to taste, and serve immediately, with cheese if you like.

Yield: 2 or 3 servings.

message 40: by Mary (new)

Mary This is one of my favorites:
Western Chicken Chowder
4 Chicken Breasts, cut in bite size pieces 1 Cup Half and Half
½ Cup chopped onion and red bell pepper each 1 Tablespoon Flour
1 10 oz. can Ro-Tel brand tomatoes and green chilies Pinch Thyme
1 15 oz. canned corn (I use frozen sometimes) Cilantro (to garnish)
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 Cup Shredded Chedder Cheese

Saute onion and red bell pepper. Add chicken and cook until almost done. Add canned tomatoes and green chilies, corn and broth. Simmer 10 minutes.
Dissolve flour in half and half, add to chicken mixture with spices. Heat through until bubbly.
Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
Top with cilantro and serve.

message 41: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Misha's Quick and Easy Pasta Salad:

1 box of spaghetti (rotini or penne also work well)
1 package of turkey pepperoni
2 small jars of marinated artichoke hearts
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 bottle low-cal Italian dressing (I used Ken's Steakhouse lite Northern Italian)
1 8 oz. package mozzarella or Italian blend cheese

Boil spaghetti. Dice green pepper. Dump spaghetti in a large bowl, add everything else, toss. Can be eaten warm or chilled. Makes gazoodles of servings. I like lots of leftovers, especially since this is easy to just pull out of the fridge and eat cold, but the recipe could be cut down to smaller portions.

Another variation I like a lot: spaghetti, cooked chopped broccoli, mushrooms, cheese, Italian dressing.

message 42: by Misha (last edited May 04, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Misha's Less Sloppy, More Healthy Joes:

Ingredients:
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper
A handful of baby portobello mushrooms
Some minced garlic
1 cup of frozen corn
1 can of black beans
1 lb of ground turkey
1 12 oz. can of tomato paste

Dice onion, green pepper and mushrooms and sautee in olive oil with minced garlic. Brown ground turkey in a separate pan. When the onion, etc are sufficiently cooked, add browned turkey, frozen corn, black beans and tomato paste. Season to taste and simmer. I just used salt and pepper, but if you want the mixture to taste more like Manwich, a bit of brown sugar should do the trick. Serve on a bun, or do what I did and scoop some into a whole grain pita and enjoy. A little shredded cheese is nice, too.

As with most of my recipes, it makes a gazillion servings. I brought leftovers and a bag of pitas to work for quick, nutritional lunches I can easily grab out of the fridge, microwave and eat at my desk.

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary Misha wrote: "Misha's Less Sloppy, More Healthy Joes:

Ingredients:
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper
A handful of baby portobello mushrooms
Some minced garlic
1 cup of frozen corn
1 can of black beans
1 lb of ..."

Thanks-sounds yummy!

message 44: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Thai Sticky Grilled Chicken:

3 lbs chicken pieces- bone in & skin on (cut breasts in half, if using)
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp peanut oil
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fish sauce
juice of 1 lime.

Combine chicken pieces, salt, pepper, peanut oil, coriander & garlic in large bowl and leave to marinate over night or at least 30 minutes. Ensure chicken is evenly coated.

Grill chicken. Meanwhile mix fish sauce, lime juice, and honey. Brush over chicken last four minutes of cooking or until the honey is caramelized.

From the LCBO flyer: http://www.lcbo.ca/australia/foodmatc...

message 45: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) Ooooh, Helena, that looks good!

message 46: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments @ Janice- the chicken is very yummy indeed.

@ Gabby- for tuna salad I like to use green onions, mayo & dijon mustard to taste and sometimes chopped dill pickles in it. Sometimes I go with straight mayo, green onion & red peppers. Lots of people like celery too, but I’m not such a fan. For the strawberry smoothie I use milk, plain or vanilla yoghurt, frozen strawberries. Easy peasy.

message 47: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Here's how I do tuna salad:

Dice a small onion.
Dice a few sweet pickles (or sometimes a dill pickle depending on whether I want some tartness).
Boil and dice a couple of eggs.
Open and drain a couple cans of tuna.
Throw everything in a mixing bowl. Use a couple spoons of Miracle Whip and about a spoon of honey dijon mustard to hold it all together.
Refrigerate leftovers.

message 48: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) That chicken sounds wonderful, Helena.

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments my wife made sticky toffee pudding last night with a heavy cream topping. sucka's!

message 50: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "my wife made sticky toffee pudding last night with a heavy cream topping. suckas!"

And you or she is going to come in later and post the recipe?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread