Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives (closed topics) > Past Introduction messages (Archive)

Comments (showing 401-450 of 980) (980 new)    post a comment »

message 401: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments I have read many other Australian authors but I find on the whole our own literature lacks compared to the rest of the world. I found Carmody's books were great on a global scale personally. I've given Canavan's books a little go but haven't fully read one of her books yet. She doesn't really seem like my type of author but I will read one in the future.

message 402: by Marjorie (last edited Apr 24, 2012 02:11PM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments I'm new to the group, referred by a friend from another SciFi group here on Goodreads who suggested your group would be interested in my book (which just released this past weekend). After looking over the group, however, I'm not sure I should even suggest it.

I see the age 10 and up bit and since my book has explicit sex, expletives, adult and sexual situations as well as some graphic violence, I'm not of the opinion this is appropriate reading for 10-15 year olds. I think 12-18 is the age when most of us started in on this kind of reading and in 2012, most kids are inured to the language, sex and violence but.... TBH, my language and violence isn't the issue as much as the sex. I write extremely steamy and explicit sex. It's very much relevant to character and plot development (one plot point hinges on it as a psychological manipulation of a third party) but... I dunno.

Without making this an advertisement (since this is an introductions folder!!) I'd like to ask the Moderators to take a look at my book and let me know if it's even relevant for me to suggest the group read it. It's definitely NOT free nor will I make it free specifically for this group but....read on.

I'm an Indie Author and the book is published through Smashwords. For those who don't know, Smashwords has an amazing blowout sale every year in the month of July. The entire 100,000 book catalog at smashwords will be on sale for 25%, 50%, 75% or even 100% OFF (which is FREE for the mathematically impaired ;-))

Even if you have no interest in MY book, maybe the group wants to look ahead to July and consider making Smashwords books your theme or find some Smashwords author who has an appropriate book and ask them to make it free during the Summer/Winter Sale so you can all get it and read it for them in July.

Anyway, about MY book, I am already planning to make the book FREE for June 30 (via coupon code I generate) and July 1 (via coupon code SWS100 which will be site-wide applicable unless Mark decides to change the code formats this year, can't imagine why he would)

So, if you'd like to read my book in July, I'd like to nominate it but if it's not appropriate reading for the entire audience of this group, I don't think it's fair to suggest it to the group. I'd really appreciate it if one or more of the Moderators could contact me via private msg here on Goodreads to let me know the scoop here. I tried to message you guys but you all have your profiles privatized so I decided to post publicly instead of friending first, etc.

Thanks! and :: waves :: hi there! Konnichiwa :)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks
http://about.me/FridayBaldwin

message 403: by Xdyj (last edited Apr 24, 2012 04:27PM) (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments Marjorie wrote: "I'm new to the group, referred by a friend from another SciFi group here on Goodreads who suggested your group would be interested in my book (which just released this past weekend). After looking ..."

I don't think people here really take the "age 10 and up" seriously given that our previous group reads include books like A Game of Thrones, The Mists of Avalon, and, to a lesser degree, 1Q84 and In the Night Garden :)

message 404: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments Well the and up bit is taken rather liberally no doubt...

message 405: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (Tuibird) | 16 comments Nicole wrote: "Yup, that happens a lot. I recently learned that a lot is two words. Who knew?"

That reminds me of a cute and funny error a child I once taught used to make. I almost regretted, as her teacher, having to guide her away from the error. She would write something like,"We had yummy feijoa crumble for our dinner last night. I like it alotly."

message 406: by Melody (new)

Melody Mol (MelodyBernal) | 5 comments Hello Group,

My name is Melody. I am publicist to Nadia Scrieva, she's a doll and a talented author; I digress. I'm new to Goodreads, so I am just floating around trying to get my feet wet. I am 24 and studying to be a registered dietitian.

message 407: by Marjorie (last edited Apr 25, 2012 05:00PM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Hi Melody. Since you're a publicist, you might find the group, Creative Reviews, helpful or of interest. I'm in the group and so are about 1000+ others, many are authors, many are book bloggers, many are readers. Somehow, through great Moderators and a strict rule on friendliness, we manage to co-exist 99% of the time without any incident ;-) There are discussions where you can ask random questions and there are several Goodreads Librarians in a discussion there, as well so you can also get GR help. Oh and we collaborated last Christmas on a little group anthology of short stories called Christmas Lites (proceeds were donated to Stop Domestic Abuse) but we lacked a professional publicist--we were obviously waiting for you! :)

Welcome to the Sci-Fi world of Goodreaders.

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 408: by Melody (new)

Melody Mol (MelodyBernal) | 5 comments D'oh I didn't mean to say I am getting my feet wet, I meant to say that I am trying to find my footing in Goodreads. Odd how many sayings there are with feet, anyways x)

Hi Marjorie, I actually found my way over there to Creative Reviews :) You will definitely see me around there too :) Thank you for the welcome.

message 409: by Seb (new)

Seb (Sebasu) | 2 comments Hey, I'm Seb. 21, currently living in Australia. A big fan of fantasy and would love to someday be a fantasy writer. I'm not really into Sci-fi, although my favourite TV show is Doctor Who, so that's something. :)

message 410: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Is there a Moderator reading this thread? Or are you a Mod, Xdyj ? I see a note in the group's "about" regarding a change of Mods in the last 6 mos.

Is it appropriate material to suggest for reading if the contains:

1) explicit sexual situations, including graphic sexual descriptions

2) graphic violence, sometimes with extremely disturbing visual imagery (which probably would give a child nightmares, if they have an active imagination anyway)

3) harsh language and abundant use of expletives - by a limited number of characters but those 2 or 3 characters use the F bomb freely.

I'm making my book sound terrible here - it's actually a super uplifting Happy Ending (and more than just the "happy endings" the characters get to enjoy LOL) - but it's got a rollercoaster ride of emotions and some of them definitely would have left a lasting mark on me when I was 10-15 years old.

The SciFi books I did read at that age ( The City and the Stars, The Door into Summer, The Caves of Steel/The Naked Sun/Pebble in the Sky, Rendezvous With Rama, Starship Troopers and then I went through ALL of Heinlein's "juveniles" in about six months) left an indelible mark on me--strongly enough I decided to start writing SciFi!!

I'd just appreciate a Moderator contacting me or posting to this thread to let me know if this group is or is not an appropriate set of readers for my kind of book. I am definitely against spamming a disinterested audience. I'm promoting my book, sure, but not looking to shove it down anyone's throat.

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 411: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Well, I could just discuss it here. I discourage reading anything with explicit material (sexual themes, language, etc.). If it has mild language and violence, I tolerate it. HOWEVER! If you want to create a folder and want to discuss your book, I will allow you to create a folder, but PLEASE PUT A WARNING ON THE TOPIC AND FOLDER!

Anyway, thank you for asking. I appreciate it. If you create your own folder and it has a warning, etc. You can talk and promote your book as much as you like. I do like book promoting and try to keep that open and you aren't shoving it down throats.

As for moderators, I am the owner. My other active ones are: Jonathan, and Xdyj. If you have anymore questions, just contact us. Anyway, welcome to the group and look forward to the discussions! :)

message 412: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Speaking of Emily and I being active, I'm going to start taking the initiative again. I'll let you guys keep up what you're doing, but I'll make some different twists and maybe change some rules.

message 413: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 418 comments Welcome back Connor :)

message 414: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Thank you. :) I want to thank you and Jonathan for taking the initiative. This group would be as good as nothing without you two.

message 415: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Oh, and that rule applies to anyone else! If you have a book that may be questionable for some who may be in the group, create a whole new folder with a noticeable warning. With your own folders, you may do whatever you wish, but I ask you DON'T put up any bad photos or use explicit language. Your book may have bad language, but I will send any warnings if I notice excessive bad language because it is quite unnecessary in discussion.

Thanks for listening!

message 416: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 1 comments Hello! My name is Jeannette and I'm from Virginia. After a looong semester (I'm a grad student studying Special Education), I had a craving for some good sci-fi/fantasy reading and I came across your group. Looking forward to my first read with you guys!

message 417: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Hello! Thanks for joining the group! Hope we have some fun reads this summer. :)

message 418: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hi, I'm Kristen. I haven't really read much sci fi, just some fantasy. But I'm always interested in finding new stuff to slap on my to read list :)

message 419: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments Welcome all new people and welcome back Connor. And it has been no problem to help run a group about something I'm passionate about. Anyone who is new and looking for reading suggestions check out the list of sci-fi and fantasy books we are compiling.

message 420: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Hi Kristen! :)

Thanks Jonathan! I'm grateful for your willingness to help. It would be dead (like a couple of my other groups, lol).

message 421: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Sakinah wrote: "Hello all! My name is Sakinah, an aspiring author. I prefer science fiction and fantasy genres, which is why I'm here.

Once I can save up a bit of cash I plan to purchase a Kindle or Nook so I can..."

If you're strapped for cash and want to read eBooks but all you have is a computer or a smartphone, you can get FREE apps for any kind of computer or smartphone from BOTH Amazon AND Nook. Check it out:

Amazon Kindle apps for all platforms
(Personally, I prefer the display/readability of Kindle apps and I love the Book Extras feature where the readers can annotate the book or highlight favorite lines/sections; helps build reader community!)

Nook apps also for all platforms
(While there's nothing wrong with the Nook apps and the EPUB format is FAR more available, I just don't find it as easy to read with their interface/tools or text display ability. I need to wear reading glasses but on Kindle apps I don't)

You do need to create an account in both cases--Kindle or Nook stores--but that's free, too. Oh and if you don't know where to find free eBooks, there are a LOT of great resources here on Goodreads. But that's for another discussion entirely ;) Just search "free eBooks" or "ebook giveaway" in the Goodreads search box.

Welcome to Goodreads and the group. (I'm pretty new to this group m'self)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 422: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments I just got my first author interview today - it's All about Friday on Friday (haha). Read more than you ever needed or wanted to know about me on Gathering Leaves Reviews (more about me than the book, I promise!)

Interview of Friday on Gathering Leaves

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 423: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Oh cool! congrats. :)

message 424: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Connor wrote: "Oh cool! congrats. :)"

Thank you. I can't believe how much about myself I revealed *blush* but it was fun.

message 425: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Well, you are an author now so it can't really be helped, lol.

message 426: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Connor wrote: "Well, you are an author now so it can't really be helped, lol."

I also hadn't given an interview in over a year and now that the book's finally released, I had to do a little publicity catchup :) It's a good interview. I did spoiler a bit but it's been handy to reference the spoilers in the interview by linking to that page instead of having to give them all away in cleartext remarks.

-Friday

message 427: by Kerry (last edited Jun 01, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Kerry (bkmcavoy) | 9 comments Hi all,

I just joined this group. I have been trying to find a group that emphasizes sci-fi more than fantasy. I have been a part of a Goodreads fantasy group, but rarely recognize the books they are reading. Makes me wonder if I am in the right group, so I thought I would try out this group.

I discovered sci-fi when I first read Ray Bradbury's short story Dandelion Wine my freshman year of high school. Later I was introduced to Pier Anthony's work. Didn't care for his Xanth series, but loved his science fiction work.

Currently I am reading Gaiman's American Gods. I just downloaded Friday's new book Conditioned Response and am excited to get started on it. (Thank you Friday for the coupon for a free copy!)

I am looking forward to meeting more of you and reading the upcoming discussions.

message 428: by Stefan (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Stefan Yates (Stefan31) | 134 comments Just wanted to say a quick hello. I'm a pretty avid fantasy reader. I'm usually working on 4 or 5 books at a time and there is rarely a time when less than 2 of those are fantasy novels. I enjoy a wide spectrum of authors in the genre and some of my favorites include: J.R.R. Tolkien, Terry Brooks, George R.R. Martin, John Marco, Lloyd Alexander, J.K. Rowling, Cornelia Funke, and from his debut novel G.T. Denney.

One of my passions in life is reading. I minored in Enlish Literature in college and along with classes covering the classics (Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, The Faerie Queene, etc.) I also took classes like Fairy Tale & Fantasy and Science Fiction. I truly enjoy discussing and reviewing literature of all types. I'm looking forward to joining in on the fantastic conversations here and hope to get to know you guys better.

message 429: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments Hey Stefan nice to see you here. And thanks for the friend invite as well!

message 430: by Marjorie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 03:06AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Kerry wrote: "I just joined this group. I have been trying to find a group that emphasizes sci-fi more than fantasy."

Kerry, I confess I don't read all the threads so I only noticed this one because Jonathan replied to Stefan and "freshened" it. Sorry and...hello :)

I'm a member of the SciFi Aficionados group and they're pretty much exclusively focused on SciFi, more of the hardSF than the borderline stuff. You might enjoy joining them.

I'm also a member of Apocalypse Whenever, which I joined more for the fun of it than the zombies. I don't enjoy zombies at all and don't get most of those jokes but the Moderator of that group, Gertie, is hilarious and keeps the group light and fun. You might enjoy joining just for the social aspect.

There are a lot of fantasy-genre focused groups, I have to agree and like you, I don't recognize (or read) half the books they're talking about so I don't feel I can participate in discussions. This group, though, seems to be a nice core of about a dozen people who are quite friendly and chatty so just join a conversation whenever there's something you do know and the SF book talk will come eventually ;)

Currently I am reading Gaiman's American Gods. I just downloaded Friday's new book Conditioned Response and am excited to get started on it. (Thank you Friday for the coupon for a free copy!)

You're welcome for the free copy and I'm excited to hear your impressions on it :) How did you like American Gods? I still can't get through it. I think it's just too much "fantasy" for my "scifi" mind. It's that difference in the level of "suspension of disbelief" between fantasy genre and SF that makes me lean towards the SF side. I prefer to imagine "What if..." with firm anchors in reality than to just let go of all physical laws and imagining "whatever" I can make up. I guess I'm just a "law-abiding" reader *haha*

Welcome to the group from a fellow SciFi'er :)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 431: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (bkmcavoy) | 9 comments Marjorie wrote: "Kerry wrote: "I just joined this group. I have been trying to find a group that emphasizes sci-fi more than fantasy."

Kerry, I confess I don't read all the threads so I only noticed this one becau..."

Thanks for the recommended groups! I had been a member of the Fantasy Book Group for over 2 years, but usually lurk since I rarely recognize the books. I thought my preferred genre was fantasy, but now know that that's not what I am reading. You will probably see me show up on the two groups you recommended. I find myself reading hardcore scifi or books about dystopian societies. I am not stalking, I promise! :)

I am about 70 percent done with American Gods. (. . .I must finish this book, I must finish this book.) I still don't like it. The characters leave me unmoved. They are too difficult to like, let alone care about. But, I am also reading this book for a local summer book club and, in fact, I am leading the discussion!

I had to pause on Conditioned Response due to the previous reading commitments, but I can't wait to get back to it. I love your writing style. I also appreciate your activity in the various group discussion threads. It has been nice getting to know you this way. Thanks for sharing!

message 432: by Marjorie (last edited Jun 14, 2012 12:37PM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Kerry wrote: "I had to pause on Conditioned Response due to the previous reading commitments, but I can't wait to get back to it. I love your writing style. I also appreciate your activity in the various group discussion threads. It has been nice getting to know you this way. Thanks for sharing! "

It's absolutely not a problem and in fact, I think I'd prefer you wait and get American Gods completely out of your system first (is there such a thing as a sherbet cooler for cleansing the brain pallet in between books?) Yeah, I'm being snarky.

It just occurred to me to ask if you're at all interested in Space Opera and/or Romantic SF (aka SF Romance or SFR). I'm in another group that is very busy and I don't recognize probably 70% of the titles or authors because although I like SFR when I have tried it, I've only tried 2 or 3 and them, only because they were Baen Books authors (Lois McMaster Bujold, Catherine Asaro etc.) The SF Romance Group is a good one to get exposure to that subgenre of SF (or subgenre of romance depending on where you put the emphasis).

I would love to have you stalk me but only on Goodreads :) I've had an online stalker and it was not fun. Go to my profile and join ALL my groups if you'd like--seriously.

I do that when I connect with a fellow Author here that I know from somewhere else and they tell me they've found "some good groups." I go and scavenge off their lists :) *ahem* It's called networking not stalking! LOL

Just a word of caution: I also write Romantic Suspense and lean towards the very edgy stuff sexually so I'm in a couple of erotica type groups plus one gay fiction writer's posse (Mark Alders writes Science Fiction like you wouldn't believe but it's all gay romance subgenre so if gay romance turns you off, avoid like the plague--his sex scenes make mine look TAME. His SciFi imagination though..wow, wish I could get him to write a straight SciFi. He'd blow the mainstream SciFi away!! Mark is an Aussie, like our Moderator, Jonathan...there must be something in the water down there *haha*)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks
p.s. I had previously nominated Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire book Primary Inversion (Book 1 of the series) and it's on this month's poll for Secondary Read - go vote for it or just add it to your TBR shelf to check out. Asaro has a good epic feel in that space opera series so you might enjoy it)

message 433: by Stephen (new)

Stephen M. | 94 comments Marjorie wrote: "I see the age 10 and up bit and since my book has explicit sex, expletives, adult and sexual situations as well as some graphic violence, I'm not of the opinion this is appropriate reading for 10-15 year olds. I think 12-18 is the age when most of us started in on this kind of reading and in 2012, most kids are inured to the language, sex and violence but.... TBH, my language and violence isn't the issue as much as the sex. I write extremely steamy and explicit sex. It's very much relevant to character and plot development (one plot point hinges on it as a psychological manipulation of a third party) but... I dunno."

Gee, I didn't find it that explicit.  Am I jaded, or are you more modest than you knew?

message 434: by Mysti (new)

Mysti Parker | 15 comments Hiya peeps! I'm Mysti, wife, full-time mom of three (four if you count my hubby), and a writer. Thought it was about time I joined a fantasy group on here since I write fantasy romance.

I fell in love with LOTR via a little 45 record and read-along book when I was little. Years later, Orlando Bloom portraying Legolas (ok, the whole film trilogy) inspired me to write about elves in my own fantasy world.

And since I do bi-monthly book reviews for SQ Magazine (an online spec-fic mag), it's good to see what's new and hot out there in the spec fic world.

How's everyone's summer going?

**NOTE: Sorry, not taking review requests as I'm swamped this summer.

message 435: by Stephen (new)

Stephen M. | 94 comments Marjorie wrote: "How did you like American Gods? I still can't get through it. I think it's just too much "fantasy" for my "scifi" mind."

Gee, just because the Norse God Odin is one of the main characters, you go and put a label on it ...

message 436: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments Oh of course there's something in the water and the sun in Australia. We're mostly living proof that criminality is not genetic.

Hello there Mysti and welcome to the group.

message 437: by Mysti (new)

Mysti Parker | 15 comments Thanks, Jonathan! :)

message 438: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Marjorie wrote: "I see the age 10 and up bit and since my book has explicit sex, expletives, adult and sexual situations as well as some graphic violence, I'm not of the opinion this is appropriate..."

To which Stephen replied "Gee, I didn't find it that explicit. Am I jaded, or are you more modest than you knew?"

Yeah, I think you're jaded. I mean, you didn't find anything in the 3d section of
Ghost particularly graphic or explicit, did you? Brutal but only in your imagination. Some people were appalled, remember? And I thought I did a similar level...but really, Stephen a 10 year old reading that stuff? I dunno...I think I put enough sex, violence and language in there to warrant a warning at least.

@Mysti you made it! :) You're still in time to join the group read of Conditioned Response if you wanted...I think there are at least 3 people currently reading and one (Kerry) has set it aside to finish other stuff and come back when she can really savor it undistracted so someone will be reading it for more than another week here. The discussion thread is here: http://bit.ly/SFHF-CondResp

I shall NOT explain the Plan though, no matter how nicely you ask....not until Book 4 is out (haha)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 439: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Hi Mysti! Thanks for joining! :)

message 440: by Stephen (new)

Stephen M. | 94 comments Marjorie wrote: "Marjorie wrote: "I see the age 10 and up bit and since my book has explicit sex, expletives, adult and sexual situations as well as some graphic violence, I'm not of the opinion this is appropriate..."

To which Stephen replied "Gee, I didn't find it that explicit.  Am I jaded, or are you more modest than you knew?" 

Yeah, I think you're jaded.  I mean, you didn't find anything in the 3d section of Ghost particularly graphic or explicit, did you?  Brutal but only in your imagination.  Some people were appalled, remember?  And I thought I did a similar level."

I guess you're right.  It just takes more than you did in Condition Response to bother, shock or appall me nowadays.  In fact, even the other Conditioned Response probably wouldn't bother shock, or appall me.  Instead, it just sounds uninteresting.

message 441: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments There are a lot of other books called Conditioned Response but yeah, I got a kick out of the fact that the first one to pop up on Goodreads and most of the sales sites is a domination sex advice book. The third one usually is a horse-training guide.

I sure did pick a bad title for this book, huh? Not. I'm still happy with the title but this does nicely illustrate why Authors need to select their titles carefully, not just for meaning in the context of their book's story but for the exact reason that undesired content may pop up when your readers do a search for your given title. I'm sticking with mine ;)

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 442: by Marjorie (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:49AM) (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Stephen wrote: "links to Condition[sic] Response"

I just noticed this, Stephen. You're linking using an HTML "a" tag. Did you know that Goodreads offers internal links to books and authors here? You see that "add book/author" link above the comment box? Click it and you can search for and then insert an internal reference to a book or an author. You can also toggle the option at the bottom of the dialog box to insert a text link or a cover image. Warning, Cover images inserted will automatically have a new line before them to make room for the image among the text. You can do it like this though, just put one immediately after the other:

Conditioned Response (Phoenician, #2) by Marjorie F. Baldwin Conditioned Response by Erika Masten

When you see the book show up, under the "add" button is also a link to see "other editions" so you can choose the exact cover image you want :) Goodreads has a lot of very nice internal tools, don't they?

message 443: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 86 comments Welcome Jaq and Mysti! Glad to see you aboard.

message 444: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Hi, Jaq! welcome aboard. Be sure to check the polls out. We're voting on the July reads right now. The Secondary one this time will be from "close second but not picked" selections from previous months.

message 445: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments To tell you the truth... I've only read one of the books we were reading in the group and it was like, a year ago at this time of year, lol.

message 446: by Stephen (new)

Stephen M. | 94 comments Marjorie wrote: "Stephen wrote: "links to Condition[sic] Response"

I just noticed this, Stephen. You're linking using an HTML "a" tag. Did you know that Goodreads offers internal links to books and authors here? Y..."

No, I hadn't noticed that.  Thanks.

On the subject of titles: Well, maybe some of the people looking for the other books titles Conditioned Response will end up buying yours.  Though for real sales effectiveness, you shoulda gone with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

message 447: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments I would have thought Lord of the... or A Tale of Two... would have worked better. Apparently apart from The Lord of the Rings and A Tale of Two Cities are the most popular fictional books of all time bought. So you could have tried cashing in on the popularity.

message 448: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Friday Baldwin (marjoriefbaldwin) | 191 comments Jonathan, for some reason, all I can think of when I start "Lord of the..." is "Lord of the Dance!" and I LOL at that so ...thanks, but no.

I do not want to "cash in" on anyone else's title and Stephen was definitely being facetious. I can tell that much. I prefer my titles to be unique or at least more relevant to my story than to any other book which might use the same title. I definitely have a more relevant title than a BDSM instruction manual - that is BDSM dominance is not about conditioning. ;-) As a Domme, I can assure you there is no conditioning. There is do or don't do--and suffer for it *muahaha* Yikes, I don't even like Star Wars and I'm paraphrasing Yoda! Talk about a well-branded product!

-Friday
@phoenicianbooks

message 449: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments Well I was being a little facetious myself. I don't think many people want to cash in on other stories but rather want to tell their own good stories.

message 450: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 517 comments Filmmaking hey? What type of films or can't you say?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Wizard of Earthsea (other topics)
The Colors of Qua (other topics)
Strength of a Giant (other topics)
Nash of the Thieves' Guild (other topics)
The Sorcerer's House (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elle Lapraim (other topics)
Harry Harrison (other topics)
Peter Hamilton (other topics)
David Gemmell (other topics)
Philip K. Dick (other topics)
More...