Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Welcome to the group! > Past Introduction messages (Archive)

Comments (showing 351-400 of 983) (983 new)    post a comment »

James (TheAdventurousBookReader) | 28 comments Happy Holdiays to you Xdyj and everyone else too.

message 352: by Tim (new)

Tim Mayer (TimothyMayer) | 1 comments Hello, just joined the list. Always have enjoyed heroic fantasy. Just reviewed Karl Edward Wagner's CONAN: ROAD OF KINGS:
http://www.z7hq.blogspot.com/2011/12/...

James (TheAdventurousBookReader) | 28 comments Welcome Tim.

message 354: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 417 comments Welcome!

message 355: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello. I just joined. I'm a writer and publicist. I'm exploring Good Reads. And I'm curious to see what everyone is reading these days in the genres that I usually read myself and in the genres that I help publicize books.

message 356: by Mark (new)

Mark LaMaster (MarkSLaMaster) | 2 comments Welcome to the group Heather, I'm new too!

message 357: by Kea (new)

Kea Alwang (kea_alwang) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Kea. I'm a big LOTR fan, too. Also enjoy sci-fi and one of my favorites is the Planet Pirates series by Anne McCaffrey. I'm an author of my own sci-fi fantasy series....well, Book One just came out. (If you're interested, check out my profile.)
I think what I love about heroic fantasy most is the way the weak and trod upon rise above it all and find more inside of themselves. Bilbo, Sassinak, Harry Potter sort of make you think, "Damn...if they could get out of their own way, maybe I can, too!:

message 358: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 417 comments Hi welcome to this group!

James (TheAdventurousBookReader) | 28 comments Welcome Kea and Heather. I hope you enjoy this group a lot.

message 360: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 417 comments Happy new year everyone!

Dkiras | 10 comments Xdyj wrote: "Happy new year everyone!"

Happy new year!

Renee (ReneeWildes) Happy New Year! What resolutions have you made? I'm trying to read a book a week.

message 363: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments I forgot to make a resolution.......... I hope it isn't too late! :)

Renee (ReneeWildes) never too late - just be reasonable. last year I bit off more than I could chew!

message 365: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Haha, same here. Last year I resolved to do my homework and read more books. What a dummy I was.... The first month went ok bookwise.... I'm not even gonna talk about my homework...

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost ("As the Pirate Aarhgs") (GhostWhisperer) Hello, I'm Hugh. I've been reading a lot of good Sci-Fi, and I'm a long time lover of Epic Fantasy, though most of my tastes are prettty "old school." Lately I've been exploring Urban Fantasies some but my reading roots are with Space ships or swords and scorcery.

message 367: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 417 comments Lorenzo wrote: "Hi, Everybody--

Lorenzo here. This group sounded interesting so here I am. I like science fiction and fantasy, as well as a good bit of mainstream fiction, with a dash of horror on the side. I'..."

Hi Lorenzo, we do have some book discussions and some of them are on popular works like The Mists of Avalon or Earthsea, and you're welcome to set up any new discussion topics. On the other hand, none of them seem to be active since last December, so it would be nice if someone can lead discussions somehow.

message 368: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Hello! Thanks for joining! You're bound to get good recommendations from this group I'm sure.

message 369: by Leah (new)

Leah | 1 comments hi there everyone im leah , im 34 and love to read . i like sci-fi and fantasy and also manga .

message 370: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Hi! Thanks for joining!

Zeljka (ZTook) | 3 comments Hello everyone,
this group seems really nice, bookshelf looks really tempting, and you guys are really kind and spirited (if that's the right word...)!
I am Zeljka, I love books, and read everything I find interesting enough, from short stories to novels of epic proportions. I do not mind if they are set in victorian England, pharaonic Egypt, apocalyptic Earth, a planet very far away in the galaxy or in the sword-and-sorcery imaginary world of dwarves and elves - as long as the story is good.
That's all for now - I hope I'll have nice time here and that you'll accept me.

Fayley | 89 comments Kea wrote: "Hi, I'm Kea. I'm a big LOTR fan, too. Also enjoy sci-fi and one of my favorites is the Planet Pirates series by Anne McCaffrey. I'm an author of my own sci-fi fantasy series....well, Book One just ..."

Hi Kea, if you like Planet Pirates you'll love the Vattas War series and Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon, both are military SF with female commanders.

message 373: by Gary (new)

Gary Hagood (pezboy1952) | 1 comments Hi, This is Gary. I just joined. My main are of interest is heroic fantasy and my favorites are from Robert E Howard of Conan fame.

Casey (Halo-Killer312) | 5 comments Hey guys, hows it going just wanted to see what was going on, and now alittle bit about myself with only commas ok, ready, get set, GO: i like to read, play video games, read some more, watch LOTR, watch, Harry Potter, I like to read books about Halo, LOTR, anything about fantasy or science fiction, basically andything that has a pulse as far as action i will reat it!!! :) hi guys...

Casey (Halo-Killer312) | 5 comments wow major spelling mistakes thats what i get for rushing

Stephanie Hello, My name is Stephanie. I live in the southern part of the states.
I do enjoy reading almost anything fantasy from dark fantasy to YA fantasy. I'm reading Divergent right now on my Kindle and reading the Sword of Truth series on paperback.

message 377: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Casey wrote: "wow major spelling mistakes thats what i get for rushing"

Hi Casey! You also went a little comma happy, lol.

message 378: by Connor, The Awesome One!!! (new)

Connor (ConnorK) | 1324 comments Thanks for joining the group Casey and Stephanie!

message 379: by Crystal (last edited Feb 17, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Crystal Hi, I'm a Christian thirteen year old who just joined this group and has plans of becoming an English teacher and moving to Japan someday. College suggestions, anyone?
I think Lord of the Rings is epicness (and no, that's not really a word) defined and I would love to read more books like it.

Bryan (AirithAuthor) | 2 comments Hey everyone!!! I'm a young satirical author who is switching over to the world of sci fi fantasy! Hope to meet a ton of new people here!

Amethyst (AmethystThalia) | 12 comments Hello
Real name is Sam(antha), I am from Surrey, UK
I found good reads a few days ago via a fan fiction list. I joined this group because I have been looking for a reading /sci fi fan club since I left the one I started at uni.
Reading taste - I am eclectic tending towards sword and sorcery genre - at the moment I really like dragons, vampires and weres's.
I apologies if I break rule number 6 - but I am disgraphic/dyslexic.

message 382: by H.S. (new)

H.S. St.Ours (HS_StOurs) | 7 comments Hi everyone. I'm H.S., and I live and write YA-SF in Maryland.

H.S. St.Ours
Little Women - Young Moon
Little Women - Sami

Shelley | 3 comments I'm Shelley a mother of 3 and almost 32 years old. I like tolkien, lewis, wrede, and classic writers. I am not familiar with group post stuff so please be patient.

Shelley | 3 comments Pijapardtollacorngasus The Valkyrie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Beowulf? I've never read it. Haven't seen that episode either."

I've read the original prose Beowulf. I understood half of it, which is pretty great."

That is pretty great. Old english can be hard to read. My phonics teacher in College loved Tolkien and looked like bilbo baggins haha. He taught us a lot about the history of the english language spoken and written. Fader=father You did very good!

message 385: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Hey there Maria many of us are also book addicts. I myself for instance read anything but particularly like sci-fi and fantasy.

message 386: by BJ (last edited Mar 21, 2012 02:46PM) (new)

BJ Fogleman (BeejMachine) Hey everyone! I'm new to the group (hence the post I guess). My name is BJ, I'm 24 and live in Arkansas, USA. I'm an environmental scientist by trade, working all over the country.

I love the scifi and fantasy genres (all all crossover in between). Tend to prefer the more fantastical side of things, but sometimes catch myself really falling for randoms outside of my genre (currently reading 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro).

Anyway, hope to meet some interesting people in here and get some great recommendations!

message 387: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Hey there BJ in case you didn't know we have a thread now for recommendations if you want to check that out. There's also a list of books you may want to look at. Hope you find something worth reading.

Donna | 17 comments My name is Donna and I live in Sydney, Australia. My favourite book is Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey. She was my favourite author until her recent death, sadly. Another favourite is fellow aussie Jennifer Fallon.

message 389: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Hey Donna I've read a few of Anne McCaffrey's works and enjoyed them. Haven't really tried Jennifer Fallon. Hope you find some cool books here and all. I'm also from Aus but I'm down in Melbourne. Speaking of aussie fantasy/sci-fi authors have you tried Isobelle Carmody? I really enjoy her Obernewtyn works.

Claude Dancourt (Claudedancourt) | 6 comments Nice to meet you all!

I'm Claude, or CD. I read many different genres. Fantasy, action/adventure, mysteries, historical, romance... You name it.
I'm also a writer. My first novel was a contemporary romance Second Chances, and now, I am looking to take the dive into self-pubishing for my second, a high fantasy inspired by Arthurian legends.

If you want to visit my website, you'll discover more about me :)
Claude Dancourt, writer

Hannu Venesperä (Chappie-san) | 1 comments Hello, everyone!

My name is Hannu, and I - too - am a book addict. I like many kinds of literature, yet my favourite genres are (high) fantasy, science, horror, history, and detective stories.

I also enjoy many types of non-fiction, like history, science in general, and biographies.

message 392: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Please everyone keep advertising to the advertising sections. Stating that you write in a certain type of genre should be limited to that section only. Thanks.

message 393: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (Tuibird) | 9 comments Hello everyone, I love heroic fantasy like LOTR and CS Lewis and George MacDonald. Also many books that just have a TOUCH of fantasy about them like some of the Margaret Mahy YA books.
What I don't like is books that try too hard to be like LOTR and don't get anywhere near it. There seem to be so many of them.Also any kind of copycat writing. I like originality in the books I read.
I'm from New Zealand where we have some great YA writers, like Mahy I just mentioned.
I like many of the old classic novels but my favourite modern novels are "Life of Pi" and "The Time Traveller's Wife."
My favourite poet is S.T. Coleridge and my favourite poem is his Ancient Mariner because its message is so relevant today, being "respect for all creatures great and small"

message 394: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj | 417 comments I also like the language of The Time Traveler's Wife.

Sadie Forsythe | 6 comments Hello everyone, my name is Sadie. I am an avid sci-fi & heroic reader. I wasn't sure how to combine those, but this group seems to cover it.

As an aside, Dune (the group read) is my all time fav book.

Oh, and I suppose I should mention that I am also an author. My novel, The Weeping Empress, has just been released in to the wild.

Jason (jayellisuk) | 3 comments Hello :)
My name is Jason Ellis. Great to meet you all. I'm an author from the UK & here is my profile; http://www.goodreads.com/jayellisuk
Would love to chat to readers so pop along :)

Claude Dancourt (Claudedancourt) | 6 comments Hi all! Welcome to the new faces!! And have a wonderful Easter Day :)

Claude Dancourt

message 398: by Bo (new)

Bo Fowler | 1 comments Hi I'm Bo.

I'm a big big Vonnegut fan I also write my own stuff (as you do).
I recently had an interview with Indie Bookspot http://indiebookspot.com/2012/04/08/b...

message 399: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Welcome all new faces and I hope you enjoy yourself here in our group.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.