YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

The Hunger Games > Hunger Games March's group read

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins by Suzanne Collins

goodreads summary-Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

message 2: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments I looooove this book so much!

message 3: by Rachael (last edited Mar 07, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

Rachael (piperbunny) I have good memories with this book. I read it last year, I think it was Feb-May time and I was on the train going to visit my sister up north who was at uni and I remember reading the cover and thinking who on earth would recommend a book to me about children killing each other?

But by the first chapter I was hooked. It made a 4 hour train journey whizz by :o) And I had such a good time with my sister... unfortunately I've not managed to convince her to read it yet!!

message 4: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments =p It is a pretty morbid idea I wonder how anyone can come up with stuff like that but then I do B)

message 5: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (piperbunny) Yeah it definitely wasn't what I was expecting!

message 6: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments I recommend it to everyone! I loved it and the second one but I thought that the third wasn't that good

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I read this series back before it was popular (way before I joined GR), and trying to get people to read these books based on the concept was such an uphill battle. It's nice to see that the books caught on.

message 8: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments I read it a couple years ago when it was on the Student Book Award List

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Well, technically I hadn't read Mockingjay before the series was popular, since it was pretty well known by then, but you get what I mean. :)

message 10: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments Yep I do =p

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 3 comments I absolutely love it!!! I lost so much sleep reading it, I couldn't stop. Even when the idea is so creepy. I still need to read Mockingjay.

message 12: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments I just wish there were more than threee books *sigh*

message 13: by Liss (new)

Liss (LissFields) | 100 comments Great book! I was able to get my husband to read this book and admit he enjoyed it lol.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Shoffitt | 11 comments I had put off reading the Hunger Games because I couldn't imagine it would be a series I'd enjoy, but OMG. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I was surprised (in a good way) to hear that it has become required reading for kids in middle school. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Although that also means I'm in love with a book that is suggested for middle schoolers. Should I be concerned?

message 15: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments Well the librarian at our school got my LA teacher to read it and I',m trying to convince it should be a middle school book requirement=p

message 16: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments This is one of my favorite books and I find the number of 'favorite lists' it's on pretty amazing. The idea of the story IS morbid and kind of hard to explain because of that but Suzanne Collins is an amazing author. I also love the characters in this book too. Katniss is a girl to look up to, I think.

message 17: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 76 comments Yes! And Prim always reminds me of my own sister =)

message 18: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (piperbunny) It's hard trying to explain the book to people, I've recommended it to so many people (and everyne who has read it loved it too!) and they always ask, what is it about. And my reply is usually...

Well it's about children killing each other. But it's written in such a good way and it sounds worse than it is, then I usually add the word dystopia somewhere and end with, it's one of the best books I've ever read :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Then they ask you to explain what a dystopian book is, lmao. At least I get that question a lot.

message 20: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (piperbunny) Haha :D I usually only add that in for people who like dystopian books!

message 21: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments Piper wrote: "Well it's about children killing each other. But it's written in such a good way "

And they think you're nuts, for liking a book where the kids get killed, lol, at least that's what they think of me! But yeah, I explain it in a similar way.

I love the characters from the book. Peta is so kind and thoughtful, Gale is strong and 'MANLY,' Hamitch is hysterical but after Katniss I think Cinna is my favorite. What do you guys think of the characters?

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 09, 2011 03:09PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Finnick. Yum. I realize he's not in book 1, but he's my favorite of the series.

message 23: by Mira (new)

Mira | 5 comments I loved this book I still have to read mockingjay!

message 24: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments I read this series but since the group is reading it I'm now listening to it on CD. I LOVE this story so much. It is really a favorite of mine.

message 25: by Ducky (new)

Ducky Dame (DuckyDame) its kind of funny how we the readers are almost as bad as the citizens of the capital. were addicted to the hunger games, cant get enough of it so we tell everyone we know to read it! we know its gruesome yet were highly entertained by the series.

dont get me wrong here i absolutely love this series. i just find this to be interesting.

i work in a used bookstore and run the young adult section no less (yes its a dangerous job) but i am constantly recommending this to people. some people eat up the concept of it others seem repulsed, yet i still persist in convincing them to give it a shot.

im fairly new to this group so im figuring out the flow but is this a good place to recommend a series if you like the hunger games?

message 26: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 27, 2011 11:04PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) As long as you're not self promoting something (there's an author self promotion folder specifically for this purpose), I don't think it would be a problem to say that if we liked the book we might like something else similar.

message 27: by Ducky (new)

Ducky Dame (DuckyDame) no not self promoting at all. its just super hard to break the work habit of suggesting something that others might enjoy.

has anyone heard of the uglies series by scott westerfeld? without going into toooo much detail theres some very similar themes of dystopian society, rebellion and challenging the authoritative norm. and a super quick summary: youre considered ugly until you undergo an operation at the age of 16 that makes you pretty. this is the social norm. but the story more or less follows a rebel group that challenges this thought with the simple idea that, what if they dont want to become pretty and look like everyone else because they think that they are already pretty?

sorry i just get really excited when i hear people like the hunger games i think people might like this series as well. perhaps i should try to suggest this for a future group read?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Check out this topic :

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Someone put it up for a monthly read, so if you're interested, keep an eye out for when the vote goes up.

message 29: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

we actually have a section for it thanks Stacia :)
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 30: by Ducky (new)

Ducky Dame (DuckyDame) heh sorry... im still figuring out how all this works. this is my very first group ive joined and participating in.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Crap. No one told me we had to figure things out to join a group. I'm screwed.

message 32: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Ducky wrote: "heh sorry... im still figuring out how all this works. this is my very first group ive joined and participating in."

im glad you picked this group as your first!! :)

message 33: by Ducky (new)

Ducky Dame (DuckyDame) lol i may be screwed too. me and this fancy internetz dont always get along. guess thats why i read so many books, ;)

message 34: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Stacia ~ Gadget Girl (bionic parts included) wrote: "Crap. No one told me we had to figure things out to join a group. I'm screwed."
LMAO!!!

message 35: by Candy (new)

Candy | 387 comments Ducky wrote: "its kind of funny how we the readers are almost as bad as the citizens of the capital. were addicted to the hunger games, cant get enough of it so we tell everyone we know to read it! we know its gruesome yet were highly entertained by the series.

dont get me wrong here i absolutely love this series. i just find this to be interesting."

Great point, I never thought of this.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Suzanne Collins (other topics)