Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

Book of the Month Club > Candidates for Next Month's Read

Comments (showing 1569-1618)    post a comment »

message 1618: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13775 comments Jordan wrote: "Hey, "find and replace" is an awesome tool. Now you've got me curious. Lol.

I mean, people will say it. There's nothing you can do about it. But I think when I read it, or hear it in audio, there..."

:-D

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5521 comments Hey, "find and replace" is an awesome tool. Now you've got me curious. Lol.

I mean, people will say it. There's nothing you can do about it. But I think when I read it, or hear it in audio, there's a specific tone that goes with it that I find irritating. I picture a prudish woman, lips pursed. The type who will claim her son or grandson is as straight as they come.

However, use it sarcastically, and you're fine. I use it all the time that way!

message 1616: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13775 comments Jordan wrote: "Though one other thing I've noticed in mysteries is the typical line from females who are lying "I don't know what you're talking about." That one is annoying because it's SO obvious they're lying. It's like they think if they completely claim no knowledge it looks better than anything else. I don't know. But it seems to be said only by women, or mostly by women. That I've noticed, anyway.
..."

Now, I know I've used that line, so I want to find out where and see if I only had female characters use it, because if so, that's fascinating. I'm not sure what it means, but I'm sure it would mean something!

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5521 comments Josh wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Josh wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Hey guys, Just a thought here, but we're finishing up our reading challenge this month. What do you say to reading Michael Craft's series next? It starts ..."

I checked my kindle last night and I have the first five of Craft's books so there's a good start, I guess. :-)

Well, we'll see how they are when I get around to them, if we do a group challenge or not. A higher level of technical ability sounds great! lol.

You know, I was just thinking about a specific set of women in gay fiction last night... I just can't remember what it was I was reading and thinking about. I'm currently reading the last Rios book, but also an audio book which has some annoying female characters. I just wish I could remember which character it was that did that annoying thing I see in mm a lot lately. lol. Hmmmm...

Though one other thing I've noticed in mysteries is the typical line from females who are lying "I don't know what you're talking about." That one is annoying because it's SO obvious they're lying. It's like they think if they completely claim no knowledge it looks better than anything else. I don't know. But it seems to be said only by women, or mostly by women. That I've noticed, anyway.

message 1614: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13775 comments Jordan wrote: "Josh wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Hey guys, Just a thought here, but we're finishing up our reading challenge this month. What do you say to reading Michael Craft's series next? It starts with [book:Flig..."

The books were pleasant. I do remember that. I read them all, but in honesty I think that was partly because back in them olden days, there was so little in the way of gay mystery to choose from.

What I will say is he writes at a higher level of technical ability than we generally see in m/m or indie publishing. And the mysteries are well crafted. Ha! No pun intended.

But I really tired of the requisite gal pal and the romance was perfunctory after the first book. But he addresses some interesting things -- change of career, trying to have a relationship with someone quite a bit younger than you, living in a small town, etc.

I'm interested to see what you think of the series.

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5521 comments Josh wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Hey guys, Just a thought here, but we're finishing up our reading challenge this month. What do you say to reading Michael Craft's series next? It starts with [book:Flight Dreams|219..."

Good to know.

Though I think I did buy all of them in ebook format at some point. Maybe there was a sale? I hope so!

message 1612: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13775 comments Jordan wrote: "Hey guys, Just a thought here, but we're finishing up our reading challenge this month. What do you say to reading Michael Craft's series next? It starts with Flight Dreams.

I'm n..."

The series is not bad. Craft is a competent writer -- and I mean that in a mainstream sense -- and he's one of the few gay cozy writers. That said, I think you guys will weary of the series rapidly. The best of the books is Flight Dreams.

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5521 comments I don't mind waiting until after Christmas. I was going to suggest it, but figured people wouldn't want to wait so long. lol. That will also give us time to make sure we want to do another one. I know this time of year is rather busy what with all the holidays and school and everything else going on.

message 1610: by Johanna (last edited Sep 10, 2014 08:51AM) (new)

Johanna | 7429 comments Calathea wrote: "Johanna wrote: "Well, taking a little break between the series challenges sounds good to me. If we want to continue having these series challenges, maybe we could even start the next one after Chri..."

Yes, I'm afraid that will be the case with me, too. But I'm happy to arrange the challenge for you guys if you decide it's a good idea :-)

Calathea | 2835 comments Johanna wrote: "Well, taking a little break between the series challenges sounds good to me. If we want to continue having these series challenges, maybe we could even start the next one after Christmas and not sooner? You guys might feel very differently about this, though... "

Seeing how time is running away from me and I barely read anything for fun anyway I'd probably sit the next one out. Or, yes, we could have longer break before the next one starts.

Johanna | 7429 comments Jordan wrote: "Hey guys, Just a thought here, but we're finishing up our reading challenge this month. What do you say to reading Michael Craft's series next? It starts with Flight Dreams.

I'm n..."

Well, taking a little break between the series challenges sounds good to me. If we want to continue having these series challenges, maybe we could even start the next one after Christmas and not sooner? You guys might feel very differently about this, though...

message 1607: by Jordan (last edited Sep 10, 2014 07:35AM) (new)

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5521 comments Hey guys, Just a thought here, but we're finishing up our reading challenge this month. What do you say to reading Michael Craft's series next? It starts with Flight Dreams.

I'm not suggesting we start this in October. Maybe we take a month or two of a break first, but as I was going through my book collections, I've already bought all of them and a challenge would be the perfect way to get through them all.

There's seven books, so like our current challenge we could read them in six months.

Thoughts?

message 1606: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1872 comments Johanna wrote: "Varecia wrote: "Calathea wrote: "And one after the other... no two nominations allowed at the same time... ;-)

It's just a little hard to keep track of everything if we strech the nomination perio..."

I love the chapter-by-chapter reads. It's definitely my preference. But I have a feeling a lot of us will be pulling all-nighters when these books arrive. I'd still enjoy a chapter-by-chapter reread right afterwards.

Carlita Costello | 669 comments Love that idea. I'm in!

message 1604: by KC (new)

KC | 1880 comments Sabine wrote: "Yes Johanna, that sounds good for me! I read at any times every book, whichever you want to read with you! :-D"

I second (third?) that! :-)

Sabine | 604 comments Yes Johanna, that sounds good for me! I read at any times every book, whichever you want to read with you! :-D

Varecia | 187 comments Johanna wrote: But now when The Boy with the Painful Tattoo comes out in the beginning of October, we might want to consider having it as the October BOM book (not chapter-by-chapter read, but a regular BOM). Or what do you guys say?"

I would second this solution, sounds perfect to me!

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5521 comments Calathea wrote: "And one after the other... no two nominations allowed at the same time... ;-)

It's just a little hard to keep track of everything if we strech the nomination period to far. Let's reas The Hardest ..."

No, that makes sense to wait. I can be patient. :-)

Johanna | 7429 comments Varecia wrote: "Calathea wrote: "And one after the other... no two nominations allowed at the same time... ;-)

It's just a little hard to keep track of everything if we strech the nomination period to far. Let's ..."

Hmmm... What we planed to do with Fair Game in October was to have chapter by chapter discussion (like we did for example with All She Wrote here). Or at least that what I had in mind.

But now when The Boy with the Painful Tattoo comes out in the beginning of October, we might want to consider having it as the October BOM book (not chapter-by-chapter read, but a regular BOM). Or what do you guys say?

Or am I making it all even more confusing... ;-)

message 1599: by Varecia (last edited Sep 04, 2014 08:39AM) (new)

Varecia | 187 comments Calathea wrote: "And one after the other... no two nominations allowed at the same time... ;-)

It's just a little hard to keep track of everything if we strech the nomination period to far. Let's reas The Hardest ..."

Just mulling over Fair Game in October - it has already an impressive story discussion in the thread "above", will there really be enough to discuss it again? I'm sure there will be after we read Fair Play, which may change perspective on some aspects of the first book, but before that?

Idamus | 1465 comments Calathea wrote: "And one after the other... no two nominations allowed at the same time... ;-)

How boring :p
But OK, no confusing the moderators

Calathea | 2835 comments And one after the other... no two nominations allowed at the same time... ;-)

It's just a little hard to keep track of everything if we strech the nomination period to far. Let's reas The Hardest Thing now and Fair Game in October and decide then if we want to follow it up with Fair Play or how to go from there.
I remember something about reading Josh's favourite classics in December. But that's still a long time away...

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 5521 comments Yeah, I want to read both Duet and The Brothers Bishop, so I second those nominations for whenever that happens. :-)

Calathea | 2835 comments Oi, guys, can we please wait with the nominating until after the BOMs we already know about? We will have more time to nominate the next time *promise*. I'll make a note in my calendar. :-D

Idamus | 1465 comments Oops, I renominate Duet and the Detective Lane Casebook for after the new JL books :p

message 1593: by KC (new)

KC | 1880 comments Murphy wrote: "I think any of Gary Ryan's book would be excellent. He is very quirky. They are very different from any other books I have read. I love him."

The books are very good.

message 1592: by KC (new)

KC | 1880 comments I second The Brothers Bishop for whenever we have time for it :-)

message 1591: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3659 comments Varecia wrote: "Antonella wrote: "Sabine wrote: "I thought, that we will read The Boy with The Painful Tattoo in October together?"

Oops! Then I propose The Brothers Bishop for November. You know, ..."

Oops!! Then we have to do that, of course :)

message 1590: by Antonella (last edited Sep 04, 2014 04:21AM) (new)

Antonella | 4232 comments Varecia wrote: "Have fun reading and discussing Dan Stagg!
I read the sample and decided that I'm not really in the mood for it"

What she said. Only I read more than the sample, you can read big chunks of the book here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Hardest-Thi...

Varecia | 187 comments Antonella wrote: "Sabine wrote: "I thought, that we will read The Boy with The Painful Tattoo in October together?"

Oops! Then I propose The Brothers Bishop for November. You know, against the Novemb..."

Didn`t we decide to read Fair Play in November? :-))

message 1588: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3659 comments Antonella wrote: "Sabine wrote: "I thought, that we will read The Boy with The Painful Tattoo in October together?"

Oops! Then I propose The Brothers Bishop for November. You know, against the Novemb..."

Based on the theory that the best cure is to realise that someone else has it worse? ;)

Because it certainly isn't a book full of fun and laughter....

I still want to discuss it, so I second Antonella's suggestion.

Antonella | 4232 comments Sabine wrote: "I thought, that we will read The Boy with The Painful Tattoo in October together?"

Oops! Then I propose The Brothers Bishop for November. You know, against the November blues ;-)

message 1586: by Ame (new)

Ame | 602 comments Sabine wrote: "I thought, that we will read The Boy with The Painful Tattoo in October together?"

Oh, of course.

Sabine | 604 comments I thought, that we will read The Boy with The Painful Tattoo in October together?

message 1584: by Ame (new)

Ame | 602 comments Long time ago I was praising Mary Sexton's Between Sinners and Saints..... is there any interest in me nominating it?

Varecia | 187 comments Calathea wrote: "Looks like we have a winner! :-)

The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery won with 6 votes and will be BOM September.

The Brothers Bishop and [book:The Detective Lane ..."

Have fun reading and discussing Dan Stagg!
I read the sample and decided that I'm not really in the mood for it; I will stick to the Henry-Rios-books for now trying to finish the challenge and than I would like to reread Kit and J.X. before TBWTPT comes out :-)

Idamus | 1465 comments Not interested in that one, I renominate Duet and the Detective Lane Casebook for October

Antonella | 4232 comments Calathea wrote: "Looks like we have a winner! :-)

The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery won with 6 votes and will be BOM September."

Then I nominate The Brothers Bishop for October ;-).

message 1580: by Calathea (last edited Sep 04, 2014 12:56AM) (new)

Calathea | 2835 comments Looks like we have a winner! :-)

The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery won with 6 votes and will be BOM September.

The Brothers Bishop and The Detective Lane Casebook #1 came in second with 4 votes each and third was Duet with 3 votes.

That was closer than I had expected. After all the talking about The Brothers Bishop I was quite sure it would take the first place.

Murphy (Orchideyes) | 132 comments I think any of Gary Ryan's book would be excellent. He is very quirky. They are very different from any other books I have read. I love him.

Calathea | 2835 comments The poll is up! Decide what will be Book of the Month September!

Click the link to get to the poll: What do you want to read in September?

The poll ends at September 3rd. That should give us enough time for purchasing the book and reading. ;-)

The poll is anonymous. Results will be shown after the time is up.

You can find links to the books at the bottom of the poll so can have a look at them before deciding...

Johanna | 7429 comments Calathea wrote: "Looks like it will be an exciting poll! ;-)

I'm going to set it up tomorrow, so keep the nominations or supporting votes coming."

Thank you so much for organizing this, Calathea. :-)

Calathea | 2835 comments Looks like it will be an exciting poll! ;-)

I'm going to set it up tomorrow, so keep the nominations or supporting votes coming.

Sabine | 604 comments I'm more for The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery, but I will read The Brothers Bishop too.
Hm, that is not very helpful!

message 1574: by Mtsnow13 (last edited Aug 31, 2014 09:40AM) (new)

Mtsnow13 | 562 comments My vote still in for The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery
:-)

But definitely The Brothers Bishop is a good discussion book from what I've seen if reviews

message 1573: by KC (new)

KC | 1880 comments Calathea wrote: "Okay, so let's nominate books for BOM September.

The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery was nominated by MtSnow (but no poll was done so I keep that one on the list) and supported..."

I loved The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery so i'd be happy to reread it for BOM.

My second choice would be The Brothers Bishop.

Idamus | 1465 comments I'm all for Duet, but the Bishop book? Won't ever touch that one

Johanna | 7429 comments John wrote: "Brothers Bishop's savage beauty would make for an interesting discussion. I found it a bit like being run over by a tank, but such books are often great to talk about. As therapy if for no other reason."

I think that savage beauty is a perfect way to describe this book. As well as the run over by a tank expression. :-)

message 1570: by John (new)

John (Arkbear) | 324 comments Calathea wrote: "Okay, so let's nominate books for BOM September. "

Golly. I actually own all of these. That never happens. So obviously, I'd be pleased with any of the selections. The Hardest Thing is been next-but-one on my infinitely-shuffling-TBR list for a while. Duet was an impulse buy a while ago, but some other shiny bobble distracted be before I could actually read it. Brothers Bishop's savage beauty would make for an interesting discussion. I found it a bit like being run over by a tank, but such books are often great to talk about. As therapy if for no other reason.

I found a little bargain on Barnes & Noble a couple of weeks ago that might be worth thinking about sometime. The Detective Lane Casebook  #1 by Garry Ryan In a single volume, Garry Ryan's Queen's Park, Lucky Elephant Restaurant and A Hummingbird Dance (So three for the price of one.) I understand the books are well-regarded, but can't vouch for them otherwise. Yet.

message 1569: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3659 comments Johanna wrote: "Calathea wrote: "Johanna wrote: "Thank you for being so organized, Calathea! :-D We're currently having a lively conversation about books -- and life in general -- around our dinner table with Anne..."

And so we did, and the food was great :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 32 33