Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

506 views
Book of the Month Club > Candidates for Next Month's Read

Comments (showing 1,101-1,150 of 1,833) (1833 new)    post a comment »

message 1101: by Anne (new)

Anne | 4918 comments Antonella wrote: "I've just re-read it because I bought it on paper in Ireland and obviously I couldn't stop myself, even though I thought I should ''save'' it for reading it with you.

So it will be my 5th reading..."


Then we can anticipate many good comments and insights from you I guess :)


message 1102: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanylee) | 71 comments Karen wrote: "Any further thoughts on reading All She Wrote as the October BOM, discussing as we read (as was done with Somebody Killed His Editor), before H&M3 comes out in November?"

I'm IN for ASW!


message 1103: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15717 comments Well, the timing is good as I'm writing the third book now (in between the drama). :-)


message 1104: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2337 comments Would one of you who are experienced in setting this up like to open a September/October 2012 page for All She Wrote?

It's 24 chapters so we could do four chapters a week over six weeks (discussion on Saturdays?), if agreeable. That would be 9/22, 9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27 if readers would like to start this week...


message 1105: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Karen wrote: "Would one of you who are experienced in setting this up like to open a September/October 2012 page for All She Wrote?

It's 24 chapters so we could do four chapters a week over six weeks (discussio..."


I think that your idea of reading the book over six weeks is great! I created the topic, so let's see how everybody feels about it... ;)


message 1106: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 3757 comments Um, I won't be here next week. So I wouldn't be able to start with you.
I thought our arrangement last time worked really fine. We could read two chapters a day again for twelve days or one a day for 24. I liked the intnsity of day to day discussion.


message 1107: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1271 comments Mary Renault comes up regularly in conversation around here, but as far as I know, we've never done an official discussion of one of her books. They're only available in paper, so what if we do what we did last year and plan a couple months in advance for a paper read in December? The Charioteer and The Persian Boy are the two titles I've heard the most about, but I've never read her, so I'm definitely open to suggestions of others who are familiar with her work.


message 1108: by Hambel (new)

Hambel | 1274 comments I think it's about time I read The Charioteer, so I'd definitely be up for that one, Becky.


message 1109: by Anne (new)

Anne | 4918 comments I read the Charioteer last year, but it is definitely a book that can be read more than once. It would be nice to hear other people's take on it as well, there is a lot to discuss. So you can count me in.


Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1859 comments +1 Becky! I have the Charioteer in English, but the Persian Boy in Italian, I will order it in English if we choose it.


message 1111: by Darkm (new)

Darkm | 253 comments I wanted to read the Charioteer since when it was mentioned in the other post.
If I can find the book, I'm in.


message 1112: by Johanna (last edited Sep 27, 2012 06:15AM) (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Yes, Becky! Yes, yes, yes! I'm currently reading The Charioteer (on page 177) and I would love to discuss it with you guys. ETA: It's definitely a book that gives one a lot to think about and to ponder on — it would make a very interesting Book of the Month!

I'm definitely going to read The Persian Boy too, so either one will do. :)


message 1113: by Johanna (last edited Sep 27, 2012 06:03AM) (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Darkm wrote: "If I can find the book, I'm in."

I bought The Charioteer from Amazon.uk, but I'm sure you can probably find it from somewhere else too... By the way, the paperback is beautiful with the lovely picture and the nice orange color. And this probably sounds silly, but I like how the book feels in my hand — the cardboard used for the cover has a nice feel to it (different from all the other paperbacks I own). It's supple and rustling. :)

ETA: The Charioteer by Mary Renault


message 1114: by Darkm (new)

Darkm | 253 comments Thanks Johanna :)
I'll probably go with the kindle edition because it will arrive faster :)


message 1115: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Darkm wrote: "Thanks Johanna :)
I'll probably go with the kindle edition because it will arrive faster :)"


I'm not sure if there is a kindle edition at all... Becky wrote earlier that The Charioteer is only available in paper. If there is a kindle edition, let me know.


message 1116: by Anne (new)

Anne | 4918 comments Johanna wrote: "Darkm wrote: "Thanks Johanna :)
I'll probably go with the kindle edition because it will arrive faster :)"

I'm not sure if there is a kindle edition at all... Becky wrote earlier that The Chariot..."


I don't think there is, I could only get it in paper, from amazon.uk


message 1117: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15717 comments I don't believe it's in kindle.

But if you could all handle reading paper, I would love to discuss The Charioteer.


message 1118: by Pender (new)

Pender | 674 comments Josh wrote: "I don't believe it's in kindle.

But if you could all handle reading paper, I would love to discuss The Charioteer."


I've always wanted to read it. I keep looking in my used book store every time I'm in there because I'd love an older edition.


message 1119: by Hambel (new)

Hambel | 1274 comments Oh dear, Amazon UK said they had one left in stock and I've just bought it :D


message 1120: by Darkm (new)

Darkm | 253 comments Sorry, I just assumed amazon=kindle *hits head on a wall*

I've found it on amazon.it, now I just have to cross my fingers it will arrive safely considering the postal office here.


message 1121: by Karen (last edited Sep 28, 2012 08:18PM) (new)

Karen | 2337 comments I already had a copy in my cart, so I'll add a couple of items (the two new print AE titles?) and check out.


message 1122: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 3757 comments Becky wrote: "Mary Renault comes up regularly in conversation around here, but as far as I know, we've never done an official discussion of one of her books. They're only available in paper, so what if we do wh..."

Wonderful idea, Becky! I bought my copy a while ago but still have to read it. It's a 1986 edition (used copy) with a stamp of Glasgow Academy Library. :-)


message 1123: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 6890 comments Our public library had a copy of The Charioteer. Actually, we had several copies. I was kinda surprised, actually. So, that's another place to check if you don't want to buy it.


message 1124: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments So... if we are reading The Charioteer in December, what are we going to read in November? What would you like to read, Josh?


message 1125: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15717 comments Johanna wrote: "So... if we are reading The Charioteer in December, what are we going to read in November? What would you like to read, Josh?"

November is tough for me because I'm trying to finish up this Blood Red Butterfly novella for a mid-month release. So I may not be an active participant though I sure do plan on being part of the December discussion.

What are some of the potential candidates for November? Any ideas?


message 1126: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Josh wrote: "Johanna wrote: "So... if we are reading The Charioteer in December, what are we going to read in November? What would you like to read, Josh?"

November is tough for me because I'm trying to finish..."


Hmmm... I'm happy with whatever others want to read. ;)


message 1127: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2337 comments We could go back to considering some of the books we were looking at for a September read: Blacker than Black, Skybound, and Dry Bones. Skybound and Dry Bones are short works; the Blacker than Black is longer.


message 1128: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 168 comments Skybound would be interesting, seeing life on the other side of WWII. Dry Bones sounds like an interesting read and takes place in my home state even. Not so interested in Blacker than Black though.


message 1129: by Karen (last edited Oct 24, 2012 03:33PM) (new)

Karen | 2337 comments Lori, New Mexico is my resident and home state, so the territorial NM setting was of special interest also.


message 1130: by Anne (new)

Anne | 4918 comments I have read Skybound already and recommend it for everyone who hasn't yet. For November I would like Dry Bones, since I haven't read it and the one I have read by Parelion before was very good.


message 1131: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 5343 comments Skybound and Dry Bones are both excellent.


message 1132: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 3757 comments I'd like to read something short next month because I don't know how much free time I'll have (that pesky real life that Anne mentioned on the other topic, you know^^). As I'm not into WWII stories I'd vote for Dry Bones.


message 1133: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 168 comments Karen wrote: "Lori, New Mexico is my resident and home state, so the territorial NM setting was of special interest also."

Ooh, cool. Hola!


message 1134: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 6890 comments I'll be busy writing a novel next month, so I'll just go with whatever you guys pick. Though I was going to read the second book in Andrea Speed's Infected series. I doubt though, that people would want to read that in this group. lol.

Otherwise, I'd read any of those choices already mentioned. Dry Bones I read a long time ago and barely remember, except that it was good. I already own Blacker than Black (was probably my rec) but haven't read it, and want to read Skybound, but don't own it yet, so this would be a good excuse to buy it.


message 1135: by Darkm (new)

Darkm | 253 comments I'm fine with anything you choose. :)


message 1136: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanylee) | 71 comments Darkm wrote: "I'm fine with anything you choose. :)"

Me too... :)


message 1137: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15717 comments Jordan wrote: "I'll be busy writing a novel next month, so I'll just go with whatever you guys pick. Though I was going to read the second book in Andrea Speed's Infected series. I doubt though, that people would..."

One of these days I'd like to sample the Infected series as I've heard so many good things about it -- but since November is horrendously busy, maybe not November. :-D But I would like to do it sometime next year?


message 1138: by Darkm (new)

Darkm | 253 comments Josh wrote: "Jordan wrote: "I'll be busy writing a novel next month, so I'll just go with whatever you guys pick. Though I was going to read the second book in Andrea Speed's Infected series. I doubt though, th..."

I think "having to" read it for a challenge would probably be the only way I can start it.
I've heard wonderful things about it, it's the angst that scares me.


message 1139: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Lombard (JSLombard) | 6890 comments Having read the first book, and then finding out what happens later on to one of the main characters, I decided to continue with it. She's a fantastic writer who writes about a very unique world and 3D characters you can't help but love.

If it helps any, there are two stories within book one, so you could easily plan to read only the first book in a month. Otherwise, together, the first book can be quite long.


message 1140: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Would it be too much if we'd have two different topics for November — one for Dry Bones and the other for Skybound? Or is it too much?

Both are short (Dry Bones has 51 pages and Skybound 44 pages) so if folks want to read and discuss both they would probably manage it. And if somebody wants to read only the other one that would be all right too...


message 1141: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 3757 comments Or we could set up a poll? :)


message 1142: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 168 comments Johanna wrote: "Would it be too much if we'd have two different topics for November — one for Dry Bones and the other for Skybound? Or is it too much?

Both are short (Dry Bones has 51 pages and Skybound 44 pages)..."


I'd be willing to do both.


message 1143: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Calathea wrote: "Or we could set up a poll? :)"

Yep. We could do that. I bet that you would actually know how to set one up... right? ;)

And I bet that Josh wouldn't mind you doing it, because he said that he probably won't be able to participate much in the BOM discussion in November anyway...


message 1144: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15717 comments Johanna wrote: "Calathea wrote: "Or we could set up a poll? :)"

Yep. We could do that. I bet that you would actually know how to set one up... right? ;)

And I bet that Josh wouldn't mind you doing it, because he..."


I am happy with whatever you all want to do -- I'll join in where and when I can. It's very relaxing to me that you guys are taking charge of this!


message 1145: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Josh wrote: "I am happy with whatever you all want to do -- I'll join in where and when I can. It's very relaxing to me that you guys are taking charge of this!"

And you'll tell us when it stops feeling very relaxing and starts to feel like a takeover... right? ;)


message 1146: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15717 comments Johanna wrote: "Josh wrote: "I am happy with whatever you all want to do -- I'll join in where and when I can. It's very relaxing to me that you guys are taking charge of this!"

And you'll tell us when it stops f..."


Right before you line me up before the firing squad, yes. :-D


message 1147: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Josh wrote: "Johanna wrote: "Josh wrote: "I am happy with whatever you all want to do -- I'll join in where and when I can. It's very relaxing to me that you guys are taking charge of this!"

And you'll tell us..."


Oh ha ha... ;)


message 1148: by Calathea (last edited Oct 30, 2012 12:10PM) (new)

Calathea | 3757 comments Josh wrote: "Johanna wrote: "Calathea wrote: "Or we could set up a poll? :)"

Yep. We could do that. I bet that you would actually know how to set one up... right? ;)"


I took liberty and set it up. ;)

So, the poll for November's BOM is up. Go vote here .

It's running through Satturday (11/3), so we'll have enough time to read and discuss afterwards. Discussion starts November, 24th.

ETA: The votes are anonymous and the results will be hidden until the time for voting is up.


message 1149: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 10356 comments Thank you for setting up the poll and the November BOM topic, Calathea! :)


message 1150: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 3757 comments You're welcome! And now... shoo, go vote! ;)


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Maurice (other topics)
Something About Trevor (other topics)
Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger (other topics)
Self Preservation (other topics)
Candy G. (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ethan Day (other topics)
Kyell Gold (other topics)
Ben Monopoli (other topics)
Elizabeth Peters (other topics)
Lucius Parhelion (other topics)
More...