Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > Theories (**Spoilers** from WMF)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 320) (320 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Mary (mary_believes_in_faeries) | 121 comments Mod
I think we're probably ready for this as a topic- theorize away!

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anttruong) | 20 comments Regarding Denna's patron, I'm pretty sure it's Bredon: he plays a game old enough for the Fae to know of it;, he mentioned starting to take dancing lessons the same time Denna mentioned her suitor doing so; his trips coincide with the time Denna leaves Vintas; and his wolfhead walking stick is mentioned prominently and Cthaeh reveals that Denna's patron has recently taken to beating her with his walking stick.

message 3: by Hal (last edited Mar 06, 2011 08:09AM) (new)

Hal Flowers | 4 comments Anthony Truong wrote: "Regarding Denna's patron, I'm pretty sure it's Bredon: he plays a game old enough for the Fae to know of it;, he mentioned starting to take dancing lessons the same time Denna mentioned her suitor ..."

Wow! I like it! Do yo think it's possible that Bredon is Denna's patron, but is also Cinder, as some other readers have theorized?

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anttruong) | 20 comments Given Kvothe's natural knack for naming I certainly think it's possible that Master Ash is also Cinder, but while it's reasonable for Kvothe not to identify the leader of the bandits as the murderer of his family it's a bit of a stretch to believe that he wouldn't recognize that same face on a person he interacts with regularly and for hours at a time. That said, given how little anyone knows about the Chandrian it is still possible.

message 5: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments I don't think Cinder would lower himself to that. I was wondering what he was doing in the middle of a bandits campsite.

message 6: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Kvothe, The Amyr, The Chaindrian all search for the same thing. Possibly a race?

message 7: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments I had a feeling like Lorren was an Amyr, or someone. I got a distinct Amyr vibe from someone, I don't remember who. It seems like Kvothe's story will be a tragedy.
But it just looks like it's getting better.

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anttruong) | 20 comments Brianne wrote: "I had a feeling like Lorren was an Amyr, or someone. I got a distinct Amyr vibe from someone, I don't remember who. It seems like Kvothe's story will be a tragedy.
But it just looks like it's gett..."

Well, keep in mind that Kote decided to end day 2 on a good note and that it turns ugly from there. :( Lorren is certainly a mysterious figure and his position as Master Archivist would make it easy enough to prune any information of substance on the Amyr/Chandrian from the Archives.

message 9: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments I really am not sure about Day 3. I'm beginning to fear we won't see anything happen to present day kvothe.

message 10: by Gavin (new)

Gavin I think so too. Book 3 will be another piece of the story but I think Kote/Kvothe will be another story altogether. Another book.

message 11: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Possible Amyr:

Abenthy - he was intrested in Arl's story
Skarpi- Said he had friends to help him when the church arrested him.
Lorren
Elodin
Simmon - mentioned he was Gibbea's family.
Auri- someone pointed out she's given Kvothe Taborlin's tools. The key/Coin
Cinder? spy or was
Bast? - Sent to help/ re-awaken Kvothe
Shelyn - knew the sevens names

Also, Skarpi said all stories are part of the same story.

message 12: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments really? I was kind of hoping for the story to be over at book three.

message 13: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments whatever Auri uses to light the underthing is important, it was pointed out twice in this one.

message 14: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

I think Book 3 will wrap up Kvothe's story- I'm concerned that it won't be a very happy ending. Pat is always listing Robin Hobb as a favorite author. Her stories don't have fluffy bunny, rainbow unicorn endings.

message 15: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments i don't think he'll have time to wrap it up. we still don't know how he was expelled from the university or who he killed.

i'm worried it'll be a and now i'm here. ending. with him in the inn.

message 16: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Well, we might not have that much left to cover. There's some debate about how old Kvothe is. Is he as young as Chronicler thinks? (25?) Possibly even younger, with the rode hard and put away wet theory? It’s been mentioned several times that he passed for older than his true age because of his intelligence and stage training. We were shown twice in WMF that Pat is willing to skip over bits Kvothe doesn’t consider important. (Learning Tema (sp?), the trip with piracy and such on the way to see the Maer)

If day 3 opens with his expulsion (and it probably will since all of his money problems have finally been ironed out) then the rest of it will probably be his search for the Amyr. And we’re already floating quite a few theories that they may be closer than we realize.

What do you think? A lot of ground could be covered in 1000 pages...

message 17: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Could be Kvothe's end but in an interview with Pat I found, he said he hates that authors leave the world they created and he can write more.

I half expect something like Hobb's Farseer/Tawny series.

I also think this will be a tradgety

message 18: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments so another series?

message 19: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Maybe, likely?

"I like the world; I've put a lot of time and energy into it. Other people like the world, and so, in some ways, it would be kind of cruel of me to abandon it. But at the same time, I don't want to become that guy who only writes those books."
http://www.portlandmercury.com/portla...

message 20: by Rosscarter5 (new)

Rosscarter5 | 33 comments What happened to Sovoy?

message 21: by Gavin (new)

Gavin I thought I'd bring this idea over from fb to hear more thoughts.

Kvothe locked his name with his magic in his trunk like jax did with the moon and now he can't get it out

message 22: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments Oh yeah. Sovoy wasn't mentioned at all.

message 23: by Gavin (new)

Gavin I thought in tnotw it said he dropped out and went home. the end of sovoy

message 24: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments really? when?

message 25: by Gavin (new)

Gavin after he broke up with denna

message 26: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments oh. page number?

message 27: by Gavin (new)

Gavin iono? look it up. 450ish?

message 28: by Rosscarter5 (new)

Rosscarter5 | 33 comments I was wondering what you all think of this...

The purpose of the chandrian is to release Iax from behind the doors of stone.

Also, the four plate door has 4 key holes (NotW) I wonder if originally there were four guardians of the keys and taborlin was one. And Kvothe has one of the four keys

This theory would imply that the Amyr are actively trying to guard against the release of Iax.

This adds weight to the Lorren, and Elodin are Amyr hypothesis.

message 29: by Gavin (new)

Gavin i like it but i hope theres more to it than that

message 30: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments wait. am i a terrible person for not knowing who iax is?

message 31: by Rosscarter5 (new)

Rosscarter5 | 33 comments Shaper who stole the moon. Tried to take it into fae. Which he and other shapers created.

message 32: by Gavin (new)

Gavin yea. And you call yourself a rothfussian? haha jk it was easy to get dostracted by Felurian

message 33: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments i got confused a bit by the cycle of the moon.

message 34: by Gavin (new)

Gavin does the story of jax still make sense if felurians tale is true?

and did kvothe call thunders name when he beat the bandits or was it a coinsidence? i didnt understand that

message 35: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments yes. we'll I think the fact that jax and iax are so similar mean something got lost in translation. Because I don't think Pat would put that in there without realizing it.

the second set of bandits? where cinder was the leader? I'm pretty sure he used sympathy to make the tree into a lighting rod.

message 36: by Gavin (new)

Gavin ok.

sympathy? how's he do that?

message 37: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments he linked the piece of metal to the tree, did he not?

message 38: by Gavin (new)

Gavin what metal? the arrows?

message 39: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anttruong) | 20 comments Yes. That's why he had Marten shoot the tree:

"He let the arrow fly, and I saw it wedge firmly into the trunk of the massive oak that loomed in the center of the bandit’s camp. I scrabbled in the mud for one of Marten’s scattered arrows and began to laugh at what I was going to attempt. It might do nothing. It might kill me. The slippage alone ... But it didn’t matter. I was dead already unless I found a way to get warm and dry. I would go into shock soon. Perhaps I was already there."

message 40: by Gavin (new)

Gavin yea but for sympathy i thought he had to do to his whatever he wanted to the other. how'd he get his to light?

message 41: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 91 comments why did he need fire?

message 42: by Gavin (new)

Gavin not what i meant. how did he get his arrow struck to get the tree struck?

message 43: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anttruong) | 20 comments "The lightning? Well, the lightning is difficult to explain. A storm overhead. A galvanic binding with two similar arrows. An attempt to ground the tree more strongly than any lightning rod. Honestly, I don’t know if I can take credit for the lightning striking when and where it did. But as far as stories go, I called the lightning and it came."

As for why he needed fire, perhaps he was planning something clever or maybe just for a source.

message 44: by Gavin (new)

Gavin well if there was a sympathetic link wouldn't he be fried too? Assuming what happened to the arrow in the tree happened to the arrow in his hand?

message 45: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anttruong) | 20 comments No, because he drove the arrow in his hand into the earth to act as a grounding rod.

message 46: by Gavin (new)

Gavin ok. maybe i should just re-read that scene

message 47: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (Kurosymph) | 29 comments Is HalIAX part of Iax? Trebon's pottery showed him with a full moon, a half moon and a crescent over his head. Perhaps he wants to yank the moon out of fearie, and this is why he would have to hide from the sithe.

Also, I think 'singer' has a different meaning in faerie. Felurian never called Kvothe singer, always 'sweet poet'. Is there a sort of upgraded Naming using music.(If so, Kvothe HAS to learn it!)

(And I really hope Innkeeper Kvothe doesn't die at the end of book 3, which for this series is quite likely..)

message 48: by Jess (new)

Jess (krysjez) | 6 comments Sophie wrote: "Is HalIAX part of Iax? Trebon's pottery showed him with a full moon, a half moon and a crescent over his head. Perhaps he wants to yank the moon out of fearie, and this is why he would have to hide..."

That's an interesting catch.

Pat mentioned early on in an interview that there would be two trilogies: the current one brings us to present-day Kvothe/Kote, and the upcoming trilogy finishes up the story from there.

message 49: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Thats idea is bitchin!

message 50: by Allen (last edited Mar 09, 2011 01:27PM) (new)

Allen Tsai | 71 comments Jess wrote: "Sophie wrote: "Is HalIAX part of Iax? Trebon's pottery showed him with a full moon, a half moon and a crescent over his head. Perhaps he wants to yank the moon out of fearie, and this is why he wou..."
There really will be a second trilogy? Excited.

I think Innkeeper Kote has to die for Kvothe to return. :P

This is fading from me already, but was the shaper's name spelled Iax, Jax, or both? I like that transition. Jan and Jah in German is just like Ian and Iah, right?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread