Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > GLBT Literature

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments The Melbourne Library Service has started an ‘Out and Proud‘ section of their library. Here is the blurb and the links:

"Not so long ago, gay and lesbian literature was kept behind the library desk, only available on request. Thankfully, those days are over.

This is by no means a definitive list. It is a selection of great classic and contemporary gay and lesbian writing."

Out and Proud: No longer under the counter

Out and Proud: Young Adult

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3354 comments Cool....I'd read a magazine for Aussie GLBT community and they'd have reviews of Gay writers. Enjoyed it. Interestingly the magazine within certain parts of Australia was free but not here.

I think it was either LOTL or CURVE.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Thanks for posting this! I don't see our Kevin's book there, but they do admit it's not definitive so ok for now. Drama Queens with Love Scenes

message 4: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Thanks for posting this Mandy, great to see them coming out from behind the library desk, about time!!

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Wow. How do I get on that list? :p

Okay, maybe the first question is how do I get my book into the library? lol.

message 6: by MandyM (last edited Mar 07, 2011 03:56PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Matthew wrote: "Wow. How do I get on that list? :p Okay, maybe the first question is how do I get my book into the library? lol."

That's an interesting point Matt. I live in a smallish coastal town near Brissy. I checked my library catalogue and they actually have every book on those two lists. (Good little library!) But none of the currently popular gay romance genre novels although I wonder if that has to do with format? My library has no facility or stock of digital ebooks to lend out. Maybe once our libraries embrace digital lending we might see more mm books!:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha, maybe one day we will see your name on the list Matthew. You might not want to hang out with us then though. :(

message 8: by Matthew (last edited Mar 08, 2011 10:56AM) (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments @Mandy - well, I guess it does come down to the area and the library. When I was living in Carlton (inner Melbourne) my local had some gay novels. I might have to go talk to my distributor... or directly to the libraries themselves I guess... if I find out I'll let you know...

@Gail - well, if that ever happens I hereby hand you the giant pin of ego-deflation. Use as necessary. :D

message 9: by MandyM (last edited Mar 09, 2011 12:14AM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments The Wheeler Centre held it's Big Gay Week recently and they've just released the video of the panel discussion, "The Only Gay Book In The Village".

"What makes a piece of writing gay? The author? The subject matter? The characters? Is Queer literature alive and well in Australia and what value is there in identifying it as such?

In a discussion led by Sophie Cunningham, William Yang, Fiona McGregor and Benjamin Law assess how central sexuality is to their work and the attention that it receives."

Watch the video here.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3354 comments Lol "The Only Gay Book In The Village"..I love how that is now a saying 'Only gay in the village' XDD

Thanks for the link as well :)

message 11: by MandyM (last edited Mar 17, 2011 01:38PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Very well-known and loved US author Armistead Maupin who was invited to Australia recently to headline the Perth Writers Festival was given an unwelcome look at the discriminatory, 'redneck' side of the Australian psyche yesterday when his husband was refused service at an Alice Springs pub:

Tales of the City Author Armistead Maupin Told He Couldn't Use Bar Restroom Because It's Reserved for 'Real Men'

"Tales of the City author Armistead Maupin, on a book tour in Australia for the latest book in the series, Mary Ann in Autumn, was told he couldn't use the restroom at Bojangles Saloon in Alice Springs, because it was "reserved for real men."

ABC News Australia reports:

Armistead Maupin, writer of the popular Tales in the City series, was in Australia on a book tour when he visited Alice Springs with his husband Chris Turner last week.

They went into Bojangles Saloon to have lunch and approached a staff member behind the bar to ask if they were serving food. According to Mr Maupin, they were told to take a seat, after which Mr Maupin's husband Chris asked if he could use a rest room.

"The guy said, sorry, we don't have one in here but you can go across the street to the public facility."

Mr Maupin, who had used the toilet in Bojangles the day before, said he pointed in the direction of the toilet and said 'what's that over there?'

"[The barman] gave me a very pointed look and said that's reserved for 'real men'," said Mr Maupin.

Maupin left the bar and made an official complaint at the Visitor Information Centre. Shortly thereafter he was contacted by and received apologies from Tourism Central Australia.

Phil Walcott, Regional Director of Gay and Lesbian Tourism Australia says that Alice Springs is an inclusive community and that the incident was likely a 'one-off'.

"By and large, Alice Springs has moved beyond tolerance to acceptance of gay & lesbian people," he said. "We are proud of our very vibrant 'rainbow' community here with people in all spheres of government, business and even politics. The comment attributed to one individual who may well have issues with his own sexuality is seen as an isolated incident."

Maupin wrote about it on his Facebook page, saying: "We went here for lunch. When Chris asked where the toilet was, the bartender told us to go across the street because their toilet was reserved for 'real men.' So we did what real men do and crossed the street to the visitor's center where we filed a complaint. Impressively we received an email apology from the bartender that afternoon. Fair dinkum, mate. Next time don't f**k with the poofters."

He added later: "I was interviewed tonight by a newscaster from Alice Springs. Honestly, that town has responded like a champ to the homophobia Chris and I encountered in the local saloon."

Sourced from an online NT newspaper.

message 12: by Carmel (last edited Mar 17, 2011 08:59PM) (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Thanks Ginger:) (I will stop calling you that soon, just loving it at the moment, ha) Saw this news this morning on the Today show - I love the comment: "attributed to one individual who may well have issues with his own sexuality" this, I'm sure is quite often the issue along with a fair swipe of ignorance!! Loved Maupin's FB entry and pleased to see they got a positive response from the visitor's centre, but still it shouldn't of happened in the first place!!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3354 comments *Sigh* Really shouldn't of happened to begin with but atleast it got sorted out. But still it leaves a nasty image in someones head as well.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I though Mandy was blond?

message 15: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Maybe a few ginger highlights... Depends how my hairdresser is feeling.;)

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Go Armistead Maupin.

And Boo the Bojangles Saloon.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3354 comments Matthew wrote: "Go Armistead Maupin.

And Boo the Bojangles Saloon."

Yah, i agree with you 100%! Big BOOO!!

Last year I was in a t-shirt compagin for GLBT community :D! International and local artists were in it. Including Natalie Bassingthwaigthe..
A link- http://www.acon.org.au/advocacy/news/...

It was great :)

message 18: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Laura wrote: "Last year I was in a t-shirt compagin for GLBT community :D! International and local a..."

That's a terrific campaign Laura.
I've just recently liked the OK2bgay FB site https://www.facebook.com/OK2BGAY which is raising awareness and funds to assist those that support those in the GLBT community struggling with depression & suicidal thoughts. They have great mechandise to raise funds on their website http://www.ok2bgay.com.au/

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3354 comments Carmel wrote: "Laura wrote: "Last year I was in a t-shirt compagin for GLBT community :D! International and local a..."

That's a terrific campaign Laura.
I've just recently liked the OK2bgay FB site https://..."

It was great, got you to think of so much more than you might really think..

On your link...
NICE! I just checked out the link now. The stories were interesting, I will check the link again though later on!

message 20: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I'm currently reading How Beautiful the Ordinary  Twelve Stories of Identity by Michael Cart

Synopsis: A girl thought to be a boy steals her sister's skirt, while a boy thought to be a girl refuses to wear a cornflower blue dress. One boy's love of a soldier leads to the death of a stranger. The present takes a bittersweet journey into the past when a man revisits the summer school where he had "an accidental romance." And a forgotten mother writes a poignant letter to the teenage daughter she hasn't seen for fourteen years.

Poised between the past and the future are the stories of now. In nontraditional narratives, short stories, and brief graphics, tales of anticipation and regret, eagerness and confusion present distinctively modern views of love, sexuality, and gender identification. Together, they reflect the vibrant possibilities available for young people learning to love others—and themselves—in today's multifaceted and quickly changing world.

Quote on the back of the book"
"Freedom isn't just about voting and marrying and kissing on the street, although all of these things are important. Freedom is also about what you will allow yourself to do." - from "A word from the Nearly Distant Past" by David Levithan

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Tx Carmel - it's now on my to-read shelf!

message 22: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallybell) For anyone else in Melbourne, I HIGHLY recommend Port Phillip library service for easy to find GLBT books, especially the St. Kilda branch. You know how libraries often have little genre stickers on the spine? Well this library has most of their GLBT material marked with little rainbow stickers! It's awesome being able to just pick stuff out at a distant glance. They have a pretty fair sized collection too, both adult and YA.

message 23: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments That's terrific Sally, always good news to hear a library service providing books for everyone in the community, I just wish that all libraries were as progressive. I think when the proposed improvements to my library progress I'll be enquiring about the availability of GLBT books be increased!

message 24: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallybell) I really wish more libraries would do it - it was such a nice surprise the first time I went there! I did make the suggestion when I recently received an email about upgrades to Ashburton library :)

message 25: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I might make a trip to my library tomorrow or Sat and have a bit of a scout around and see what is available!! Thanks Sally!

message 26: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallybell) Hope you come back very successful!

message 27: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I think you might like the book I'm currently reading Sally How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity:)

message 28: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallybell) Ooh, I do love the sound of that! *adds* Thank you!

message 29: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments My pleasure!!

message 30: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Really? Thanks Sally. I might pop down to St Kilda Library and see if I can get them to stock my book...

Matt

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Drama Queens With Love Scenes (other topics)
Tales of the City (other topics)
How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Armistead Maupin (other topics)