The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Mystery Lover

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 12 comments Hello all, I'm new to this group though not new to reading mysteries and crime-thriller novels. I also enjoy an occasional true crime story. I've exhausted my list of novels by my favorite best-selling authors and need some suggestions.

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2002 comments Mod
Welcome Gail. This is certainly the place for recommendations. Do you like cozies or noir? Police procedurals or private eyes? Historicals?

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 181 comments Aloha Gail!

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 28 comments Hi Gail! Great place to come for suggestions, and if you tell us who you've read you'll probably get some shiny, new and tailored right for you :D

message 5: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
Hi again, Gail!

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 12 comments Donna wrote: "Welcome Gail. This is certainly the place for recommendations. Do you like cozies or noir? Police procedurals or private eyes? Historicals?"

Yes!

message 7: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 12 comments Beth wrote: "Hi Gail! Great place to come for suggestions, and if you tell us who you've read you'll probably get some shiny, new and tailored right for you :D"

I've read all of Sue Grafton, Stephen King, Nevada Barr, Jeffrey Deaver, Janet Evanovich, Robert Tanenbaum, Mary Higgins Clark, John Sandford, Kathy Reichs, Phillip Margolin, Jan Burke, (skipped some of James Patterson) Tess Gerritsen, Marcia Mueller, Laura Lippman, Michael Connelly, Randy Wayne White (I know I've slipped in some other genres than straight mystery).

message 8: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 12 comments Donna, Lee, Beth, and Hayes, Thanks for the greeting!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Carlisle (KateCarlisle) | 19 comments Welcome, Gail! You've named a lot of authors I love. I notice Patricia Cornwell isn't on your list. If you haven't read her Scarpetta books, give them a try.

message 10: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Gail, From the 'classics' I would recommend Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers. It doesn't look like you've hit the Brits so I would also recommend PD James, Martha Grimes, and Elizabeth George. Staying in the UK/Ireland there is also Ian Rankin, Benjamin Black, and Stuart Neville. More internationally I would recommend Michael Dibdin, Leighton Gage, Colin Cotterill, Cara Black, and Andrea Camilleri.

I'm sure you have heard of Stieg Larsson but if you like the Scandanavians there is also Henning Mankell, Karin Fossum, and Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö.

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 12 comments Donna, Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. Yes, I've read Stieg Larsson and much of Henning Mankell. Your suggestions that interest me are Ian Rankin, Leighton Gage, and Karin Fossum.

message 12: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

I've met Leighton Gage at a book event and he is both very funny (though is books are not) and very passionate about Brazil.

message 13: by Beth (last edited Mar 11, 2011 04:05PM) (new)

Beth | 357 comments Hi Gail,
Since you mentioned Nevada Barr in your list, I presume you enjoy outdoor-oriented mysteries, a specialty of mine now that I've started a series of my own in that subgenre. So, I recommend the following authors:
C.J. Box
Dana Stabenow
William Kent Krueger
Beth Groundwater

That should give you some reading ideas!

message 14: by Linda (last edited Mar 14, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 332 comments Hi Gail, and welcome, here is my list for you:

Harlan Coben
Philip Margolin
Linwood Barclay
Karin Slaughter
Lisa Gardner
Chelsea Cain

That is just a few of my favorite authors. Happy reading!!!

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (KimMR) A few more suggestions: Val McDermid, Reginald Hill and Peter Robinson. Oh, and Denis Lehane.

message 16: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 186 comments Sorry, but I have to put a comment in these unused topics as far as I can figure out to remove them from my unread topics listing on my app. Have managed to delete them on the website but they are still unread from the app point of view. Sorry for being such a pain but no other help forthcoming in terms of getting rid of them. Katherine

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Cornwell (other topics)
Andrea Camilleri (other topics)
Elizabeth George (other topics)
P.D. James (other topics)
Henning Mankell (other topics)
More...