TV We've Just Watched discussion

Documentaries > The Life of Birds

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 171 comments I've discovered a great documentary at Netflix:
"The Life of Birds" (1998) (10 episodes) (streamable)
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The...
The following is from the Netflix description:
==========================================================
"...this arresting documentary series is the definitive film exploration of the most colorful, popular and perfectly adapted creatures on earth. To create it, researchers traversed the globe, exploring 42 countries and examining more than 300 species of birds using a variety of techniques, including infrared, slow motion and computer-enhanced effects."
==========================================================

The closeups of birds in this documentary are amazing! I learned so much about birds while watching it. For example, it shows the different ways birds use their tongues. Yes, they have tongues! :) It's also interesting to see the way birds adapt to their habitat.

Thank goodness that there are people who enjoy making documentaries like these. It's hard to imagine the amount of time and dedication it took to produce this documentary. We're so lucky to have films like this available to us.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I don't think I've seen this one. I did see a doc last summer about hummingbirds and another one on Monarch butterflies. Both were full of interesting info and spectacular photography. I love science or nature docs. I watch a lot of them in the summer when I'm not so bogged down on my DVR.

message 3: by Joy H. (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:27AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 171 comments I'll tell you a secret. I sometimes watch documentaries when I want to take a nap. Sometimes they lull me to sleep. But this one about the birds woke me up! That's how good it was.

I've always loved watching the birds. Yesterday I saw a cute pair of cardinals in our yard. Their red color stood out against the snow. I don't know how they stand the cold weather.

Unfortunately I had to stop feeding my backyard birds because the seeds were attracting too many mice.

unread topics | mark unread