Harry Potter discussion

Books > On Harry Potter spin-offs

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philosokitteh (last edited Mar 02, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Philosokitteh | 16 comments If there's one character I'd really like to know more about, it would be Albus Dumbledore.

We've all journeyed and experienced excerpts of his life and have gleaned a general idea of the events of his youth leading to his death, but what else DO we really know about the mysterious and venerable man? After all, what we know are just that- excerpts, slivers of memories from him, Severus and his interactions with Harry.

I, for one, would be beyond myself with excitement if Rowling could delve into the world of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore- it is not so much of what kind of man he was but rather, why was he THE man he was?

Anyone else agree or disagree? What other characters would you like to see having their own books/part-books about?

Isaac Hamlet (potterman201) | 189 comments I've probably said it in this group numerous times but, if Rwoling where going to go back to the Harry POtter univers I would prefer that she did so in short stories. There is simply no continuing plot for anything in the Harry Potter univers that would keep us half as hooked (i Hope I'm wrong though.) We know what happened before and what happened after can't be as big as Voldemort or else Voldemort will be diminished as a villian. Because of this I would prepher a book of short storeis about Dumbledore, James, Lilly, Snape, the trios children at hogwarts as well as perhaps the trio just doing things at thier jobs. Otherwise, I felt that enought was explained about all the characters in the 6th and 7th book.

Amani | 85 comments Isaac wrote: "I've probably said it in this group numerous times but, if Rwoling where going to go back to the Harry POtter univers I would prefer that she did so in short stories. There is simply no continuing ..."

Yeah, I'd like that too.

message 4: by Philosokitteh (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:14AM) (new)

Philosokitteh | 16 comments Isaac wrote: "I've probably said it in this group numerous times but, if Rwoling where going to go back to the Harry POtter univers I would prefer that she did so in short stories. There is simply no continuing ..."

Knowing the past is not a sure-fire formula to know the future. What's more, this IS fictional, which means something different and new can be concocted. Nevertheless, I understand your point. It seemed pretty big for a series when it has 7 books about the rise of Harry Potter and the downfall of the greatest villian in the wizarding world. Well, for us now, at least :P

Wouldn't it be awesome if Rowling could perhaps come up with something more sinister than Voldemort and involving the offspring of the characters in the series? Alternatively, it doesn't really have to be about an epic battle of Good vs Evil. It could be about the Wizarding world and the Muggle world too, perhaps wars involving them, something in the vein of X-men.

message 5: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1574 comments Mod
I agree about the short stories, Isaac. I'm more keen on reading about the past (even as far back as the Founders' time) than I am on about the future, but I think short stories about the trio's children could be fun too. I don't know about the idea of a more sinister villain than Voldemort in the Harry Potter universe. The seven books, as they stand now, feel complete. I don't know if we (or at least I) could ever view a sequel series in the same way. Based on JKR's comments, this is not something I see her writing any time soon, anyway. I'd love to see her put together the Harry Potter encyclopedia she's mentioned a few times. Of course, I’d also be interested in reading anything non-Potter that she might come up with.

Philosokitteh | 16 comments I feel it necessary to point out that no one is suggesting sequels here, at least, not me. Therefore I can't quite understand why people keep talking about 'sequels'.

A spin off is not a sequel, and I am all for agreeing that there should not be anymore 'sequels' with regards to Harry Potter the person. As it is, his time is up and his story has been told.

Isaac Hamlet (potterman201) | 189 comments yeah I think we all agree with that but spin-offs can be sequels Percy Jackson series anyone? If you read the lost hero Percy is not IN it but you can tell he will play just as big a part in later books.
But yes another "Harry Potter" book would be over kill.

Sayshisweetie | 123 comments Isaac wrote: "yeah I think we all agree with that but spin-offs can be sequels Percy Jackson series anyone? If you read the lost hero Percy is not IN it but you can tell he will play just as big a part in later ..."

I agree with you. If she does make another book, it shouldn't be aout Harry. Maybe the next generation of Hogwarts, but like Philosokitteh said his time is up, his stories told.

Philosokitteh | 16 comments Isaac wrote: "yeah I think we all agree with that but spin-offs can be sequels Percy Jackson series anyone? If you read the lost hero Percy is not IN it but you can tell he will play just as big a part in later ..."

It appears there has been a severe miscommunication here; I don't mean to be pedantic, but a spin-off is not a sequel. A sequel would be continuing the story, whereas a spin-off isn't- it is just a derivative piece of work that has elements of the original. Harry Potter can be in it, but he will probably only be making a cameo appearance rather than play a major character. Again, playing a major character doesn't mean it is a sequel too, not unless the story is *about* him, which I don't think Rowling would want to bother with anymore.

Quidditch through the Ages, Fantastic beasts and where to find them- those are called spin-offs, because they involve elements of the Harry Potter universe.

I'm afraid I have not read Percy Jackson, but I can tell you for sure that whatever you just said was NOT what I was suggesting, nor anyone else.

Like I've said, Harry Potter the boy's reign is over... it is time to listen to a new tale.

Oh, I also neglected to share that I think the short stories idea is good, but not with regards to each character. In a way, that would sort of be mini-sequels; I thought that perhaps a short story involving all 3 main characters to give a proper ending to undo the damage of the 19-year epilogue would be nice...

Sayshisweetie | 123 comments Isaac wrote: "yeah I think we all agree with that but spin-offs can be sequels Percy Jackson series anyone? If you read the lost hero Percy is not IN it but you can tell he will play just as big a part in later ..."

I read the lost hero, and that was a good sequel. More Harry is too much

Isaac Hamlet (potterman201) | 189 comments Sayshisweetie wrote: "Isaac wrote: "yeah I think we all agree with that but spin-offs can be sequels Percy Jackson series anyone? If you read the lost hero Percy is not IN it but you can tell he will play just as big a ..."

Eh, the lost hero was passing (in my opinion) at best and only happened because the author set himself up for it at the end of his first series, JKR did not. But I don't want to get into that in a Harry Potter thread. Philosokitteh, I think you and I are on (more or less) exactly the same page. At the moment if I had to choose between her doing a spin off series (that wasn't like Beatle the Bard or anything,) I would need to opt out. This is, I admit, out of fear that she might dissapoint more fans than she would please in doing this. On the other hand I would love to be suprised by a [good] story similar to the one you suggested. :)

Meghan | 686 comments I love the series so much I'd be afraid to read a spin-off, really. For me, I get so attached to the characters, I wouldn't want to read about other characters in the same world. I'd want to read about the characters I've come to love so very much. But Harry's story is over in my eyes. Like others have said, continuing it would be overkill. Spin-offs would probably be a disappointment to me as well, because I'd be missing the original HP stories the whole time.

Guitar Chick (GuitarChick) | 170 comments I'd love some info on:
Snape's childhood. I know we have the Prince's tale, but it was still kind of brief.
The Marauders. I wanna know if James ever stopped being arrogant, because I can't seem to let go of that hero facade' that Harry built up in his mind all those years.
Dunbledore. Taking care of the remains of his faily.
I'd love a short on Xeno being forced to write propoganda for the Quibbler and having Luna taken away.

message 14: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1574 comments Mod
Philosokitteh wrote: "I feel it necessary to point out that no one is suggesting sequels here, at least, not me. Therefore I can't quite understand why people keep talking about 'sequels'.

A spin off is not a sequel, a..."

Sorry, you're right. I did use the word sequel, but I was just thinking of a complete series taking place after the original books, not a series about Harry.

I'd really like something on Snape or Dumbledore too, Guitar Chick. I know some people think that we've heard enough about them, particularly Dumbledore, but I'd love to read a short story actually written from Snape or Dumbledore's point of view.

message 15: by Philosokitteh (last edited Mar 10, 2011 08:05PM) (new)

Philosokitteh | 16 comments Pandy, no worries, my ursidaeic friend.

Anyway guys, have you read G. Norman Lippert's fanfics? I must say that his works are quite something... I was so pleasantly surprised. To what extent was my surprise, let's just say that if Rowling were to write a spin-off, I won't be sure if it can be better than what Lippert is suggesting...

Do read his works; although the writing may be quite simplistic, oftentimes draggy, nowhere near as hilarious as Rowling's and his character development may not be as strong, his storyline is still solid and the dialogue is captivating. I would actually pay money to own such work... (and yes, quite a fair bit of fanservice vis a vis details the above average potter fan will know and smile about)

message 16: by Sayshisweetie (last edited Mar 12, 2011 04:27AM) (new)

Sayshisweetie | 123 comments Pandy wrote: "Philosokitteh wrote: "I feel it necessary to point out that no one is suggesting sequels here, at least, not me. Therefore I can't quite understand why people keep talking about 'sequels'.

A spi..."

I do think we have heard enough about Snape. I think a sequel could be about the second generation of hogwarts, Harry's and Ron's kids.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I think if there were to be a sequel, it should be on the marauders. Like, how they met, how they made the map, how they discovered Lupin was a werewolf, and just about THEM.

Tulika (Yuvaine) | 58 comments I like the idea of reading more about Dumbledore! But I'm more interested in the Marauders(I absolutely loved them) ;)

I also think reading short-stories from Harry Potter would be wonderful(like the one about James and Sirius)!!

Philosokitteh, thanks for the recommendation! I've been looking for a good Harry Potter fanfic for a long time now.... I'll give it a shot!

Sayshisweetie | 123 comments Ashby wrote: "I think if there were to be a sequel, it should be on the marauders. Like, how they met, how they made the map, how they discovered Lupin was a werewolf, and just about THEM."

Thats a good idea!

Meghan | 686 comments I think if there was going to be more books in the HP world, I would want to read about the Mauraders too. I'd like to know more about there story.

Tulika (Yuvaine) | 58 comments Yeah! The Marauders were awesome! Though, it will also be a little sad.... since it will be sure to end with tragedy....

Meghan | 686 comments I think it would be kind of cool to see the tradegy play out, you know? It would make it even more sad to read about it in the actual HP series. And, I kind of love tragedies. There's something about that emotional anguish that I love. Weird, I know.

Miss Silvertongue (MissSilvertongue) | 105 comments The thing is, I want to know a little more about every character.

But... I would like to read JKR's take on the Marauder era and the generation after Harry. And the Black sisters too... I want to know what Bellatrix was like before she went mad and also the relationship between the three sisters before Andromeda got disowned.

Aegine | 359 comments You guys know JKR actually did write a mini short story about James and Sirius right? There wasn't anything revealing or anything but it was a little side adventure of James and Sirius escaping from the Muggle policemen on Sirius's flying motorcycle.

I think I would prefer short stories like these about any of the characters. There isn't a huge bad guy in the story and no one has to go kill him and it's a simple plot that reveals a part of the characters that we hadn't seen before. Maybe if she did this for Snape or Dumbledore or even one of the kids. Like a little Christmas scene of Harry and his friends and family, and he's retelling a story or something, like a Quidditch game. I think that would be so sweet!

And I'm interested in how the Marauders thought of/reacted to Voldemort as he was gaining power. Sirius said his little brother joined so they could possibly have heard about Voldemort as they were in school?

☆♪Taylor♪☆ (taybrookeg) | 151 comments yeah. it doesn't make much sense.

Joe | 57 comments I think of all things, I definetly wouldn't want her to talk about the rise of an even more sinister wizard. As some have mentioned. But it'd be good to have that corrupt feeling she gives you in the last book, like the world is literally on the verge of destroying, I think thats where the best of it came from, that feeling like everythings gone wrong. I don't know how she'd manage to do that again without repition of her first stories, or without it turning out bad, but it'd be good to feel like that again.

Aegine | 359 comments Well, if you look at history, there's always another bad guy popping up somewhere so it makes sense if she had another bad dude come along. But he'd have to be completely different with a different perspective on things. Also, if you've read the Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, you see that some spin-off series can exisit without the bad-guy from the previous series. Perhaps someone mentioned this already...

Anyway, I think the only way to go forward is to write about how the fall of Voldy affected the world. Perhaps there would be a negative effect somewhere and that could cause a chain reaction into a new series?

Some authors are writing about global issues too, I think. James Pattereson's Maximum Ride #4 I think called "The Final Warning" seems to me a protest against global warming. A bit too cheesy for my taste but maybe JKR can do something along these lines only with her brand of style and humor.

C.K. Volnek (CKVolnek) | 6 comments I agree with a series holding up with a new 'bad guy' in each book. I did love the Harry Potter series, but for the 'happy ending' kind of person I am, I couldn't wait for Voldermort to get his just due. Was a long time coming! If it weren't for Rawling's ability to put so much emphasis on other parts of the story, I might have given up on the series. But I'm glad I didn't!

Aegine | 359 comments Lol yeah I hate those endings where everything's not right: the bad guy isn't put away or the hero doesn't get the girl etc etc etc. Like in Delirium? Anyone read that? It was kinda good but the ending totally spoiled it for me!!! Agh! So frustrating!! >.<

unread topics | mark unread