The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > School Reads

Comments (showing 101-132 of 132) (132 new)    post a comment »
1 3 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 101: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (psyko_kittie12) | 78 comments We read alot of Dikens it seemed like which I was never too fond of. And we did a shakespeare play every year of high school which I did like. I also remember readin The Mists of Avalon and Bram Stokers Dracula

message 102: by Lynai (new)

Lynai We did a group book report on The Lord of the Flies in college and since we were already cramming we divided the chapters among ourselves (there were 10 of us I think)and combined our reports together. The result was of course far from excellent and our grade was terrible. I couldn't even remember what the story was all about, which is why this book is in my TBR pile. :)

message 103: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 28 comments Hi,

I think this is what I studied...

Shakespear - Juliet Ceaser, Macbeth
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
Poetry - Saemus Heany & various modern poets
Lord of the Flies, William Golding
An Inspector Calls, J.B.Preistly

Regeneration, Pat Barker & Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks
Shakespear - Hamlet, King Lear
Poetry - Carol Ann Duffy
A Room with a View, E.M. Forster
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Tennessee Williams

message 104: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) | 509 comments I love Tennesse Williams...I want to read some of his, but I don't think I will get to anytime soon.

message 105: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 28 comments Yes I really enjoyed his work too. I have tried to read more of his plays since but don't find it very easy reading a play, it's better to do so in a group situation I think.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments I love Tennessee Williams, but I don't think we read any when I was in high school. I don't think we read any plays written as recently as the 20th Century, for that matter. My high schools were both fairly heavy on classic literature. Thank goodness only one of them made us diagram sentences six weeks a year!

message 107: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) | 463 comments Does anyone remember "Johnny Tremain" or "Ivanhoe"? They were required reading in Jr. High - but then maybe I'm dating myself, LOL!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments I read them in grade school, but I don't recall ever being assigned them.

message 109: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) | 463 comments Susanna wrote: "I read them in grade school, but I don't recall ever being assigned them."

I think, beside Jane Eyre, they were the only "required" books I really enjoyed in elementary school.

message 110: by Lori (last edited Mar 13, 2009 04:59AM) (new)

Lori I remember reading Johnny Tremain in the 6th grade. And we read the True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle in the 5th grade. I don't remember much about the actual plot, but I remember really liking it. In the 8th grade we had to read Giants in the Earth. There were 2 English teachers and the other one decided with her class that it was too bad or too much to finish. Of course, I wasn't so lucky. But in retrospect, it might not have been so bad. I've been tempted to get a copy and see 7 years later.

message 111: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I read Johnny Tremain in school too, can't remember what grade, but probably 6th, like you Lori. I don't remember much about it, however.

message 112: by Lori (new)

Lori I remember they talked about it on the Simpsons and Bart got really excited when Marge mentioned that the protag was maimed.

message 113: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 650 comments Books I remember we had to read:

Our town - Thornton Wilder
Tonio Kröger - Thomas Mann
Chess Story - Stefan Zweig
Antigone - Jean Anouilh
The great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Physicists - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Effi Briest - Theodor Fontane
Götz von Berlichingen - Johann Wolfgang Goethe
The Maid of Orleans - Friedrich Schiller
Emilia Galotti - Gotthold Ephraim Lessing
Minna von Barnhelm - Gotthold Ephraim Lessing
The Rider of the White Horse - Theodor Storm
Utopia - Thomas More
The Marquise of O... - Heinrich von Kleist
The earthquake in Chili - Heinrich von Kleist (not sure about the translation of this title)
The Lark - Jean Anouilh
Friedrich - Hans Peter Richter (6th grade)
The diary of a young girl - Anne Frank
Lord of the flies - William Golding
Faust - Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Maria Stuart - Friedrich Schiller
The caucasian chalk circle - Bertold Brecht
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Sansibar oder der letzte Grund - Alfred Andersch

Except for LORD OF THE FLIES, THE GREAT GATSBY, ANIMAL FARM and UTOPIA I read those books for my german classes. I do remember that I hated Götz von Berlichingen and that I loved Chess Story. And FRIEDRICH was the first book I had to read for school. I think it was in 6th grade but I am not 100% sure about it.

message 114: by Lori (new)

Lori There were very few books that I was introduced to by my teachers/professors that I loved and had not already read or been interested in reading. This either makes me a child prodigy or sad that my teachers have led me to crappy literature.

message 115: by Liesl (new)

Liesl (LieslM) | 170 comments OMG - I must be borderline illiterate. The only thing I remember having to read in high school was Great Expectations and a book by (or maybe just about?) Walt Whitman. Fortunately I was a bibliophile who read all the time on my own even way back then, but the list of books I've read is seriously lacking in the classics. I'm trying to make up for that. Last year I read Jane Eyre, Silas Marner and Lolita. Right now I'm creeping through Great Expectations. Yes I read it in school, but that was a very long time ago and it was from a text book so I think it may have even been an abridged version - which I detest - so I'm making sure I've read the real deal. I may be sorry I did that, cuz as I said, it's pretty slow going so far - I keep picking up other books that I actually do find interesting, but I will persevere. :-)

message 116: by Lori (new)

Lori Liesl, It took me the entire summer to read Great Expectations and I kept picking up other, more interesting, books, so don't feel bad. I also feel illiterate, especially when I talk to other English majors and their read list is way longer and more impressive than mine.

message 117: by Liesl (last edited Feb 21, 2009 11:03AM) (new)

Liesl (LieslM) | 170 comments Lori -- I'm laughing because my husband was an English Lit major in college, so he's often "shocked" at the holes in my reading. So many books he's read - and a bunch of them I not only haven't read, but have no desire to read. But I am trying to slowly plug some of the holes. (In the case of GE, very slowly.)

message 118: by Lori (new)

Lori Liesl, I feel like I'm a complete failure as an English major, you can talk to me if you don't want to be embarrassed about the holes in your reading...

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments Yeah - I felt no need to major in English - I was raised by English professors! I got that stuff at home already. (So I majored in the other major for bookaholics - history.)

My teachers must have hated me.

message 120: by Liz (last edited Mar 13, 2009 12:57AM) (new)

Liz Liesl/Lori, I'm also an English major, so I know how yoyu both feel. There's a couple of books that it seems like most people but me have read.

I've done lots of reading for school. The only required books that I remember from middle school were Where the Red Fern Grows, Monkey Island, The Girl Who Owned a City and Tunes for Bears to Dance To. The only one I really remember having strong feelings about was Where the Red Fern Grwos, which was heartbreaking. High school I'll need to do in list form...

9th grade: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, The Chocolate War (hated it), The Chosen, Tuesdays with Morrie (LOVED It), Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Great Expectations, To Kill a Mockingbird.

10th grade: Snow Falling on Cedars, A Walk in the Woods (funny and informative), Sense and Sensibility (I love Jane Austen, this was my first), Antigone, Animal Farm, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Brave New World (so good)

11th grade: A Farewell to Arms, The Jungle (grotesque, but a book that had an impact), Catch 22, The Scarlet Letter, Ordinary People, The Great Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Farenheit 451, If I Should Die Before I Wake, The Awakening
I think I'm forgetting some...

12th grade: The Once and Future King, 1984, Crime and Punishment, The Handmaid's Tale, Jane Eyre, Macbeth, Othello, Hamlet (which we spent a lot of time on), Dubliners, Frankenstien, A Midummser Night's Dream, To the Lighthouse, Mrs. Dalloway

message 121: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading "The Cay" in school

Elizabeth (Alaska) I can see by some of your booklists that you're a lot younger than I am. Some of your required reading wasn't even written yet when I was in school. LOL

I'm with Liesl, I feel sort of semi-literate there are so many holes in my reading. I don't remember any required reading in either grade school or junior high, but of course that was centuries ago, so maybe it's just that my memory is bad and we did really have to read some books. I remember we had to read The Scarlet Letter and Tale of Two Cities. I limped through class by listening to the discussion, but I've read both these books since school and loved them. We also were assigned The Merchant of Venice as I recall. We had some Hemingway short stories one year. I remember I loved them, but don't ask me now about any of them.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments Yeah, I had that reaction, too, Elizabeth - "that hadn't even been written yet when I was in school!"

message 124: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I was just thinking about all of the books that I should have read in school but didn't. Books like 1984, Brave New World, Pride and Prejudice, Beloved, The Count of Monte Cristo, Far from the Madding Crowd, Fahrenheit 451, etc...

There are so many books that I somehow escaped reading in school. I have to wonder whether I'd have felt differently about these books if I had read them in school.

I read To Kill a Mockingbird, A Medicine for Melancholy and Other Stories and A Tale of Two Cities (along with quite a few others that I can't name off the top of my head) in school and I loved them, and especially loved the discussions we had about them. But then there were others, like The Old Man and the Sea, that I just hated.

But I am curious about what you guys think. I want to know about books that you were forced to read in school but then loved as an adult, or the books that you liked when you were in school and then hated later.

Which books did you manage to avoid reading until you were out of school?
What do you wish you could have waited to read until you were older to appreciate it more?

message 125: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 06, 2009 05:23PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments In the category of "wait to read until older to appreciate it": King Lear. I am still clueless about that play.

I keep hoping it will pop up in the continuing Shakespeare courses given by a local retired professor of English (and a fabulous lecturer).

message 126: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8765 comments Mod
Dang Becky.. I didnt mean for you to delete the other post. I was just making a joke. I feel bad now :(

(Going to pout in the corner)

message 127: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8765 comments Mod
To answer your questions tho, I read:
Lord of the Flies
Old Man and the Sea
Of Mice and Men
Catcher in the Rye
Ordinary People

in school and reread all (except for OP) within this past year. I really enjoyed them all in school, but got more out of them this time around. Not to mention that 3 of the 5 are Lost Lit novels and have an even deeper meaning for me now!

message 128: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) LOL Don't feel bad Lori! I'm guessing you didn't see the response I posted in my other thread before I deleted it.

I had done a quick search of the threads and didn't see this topic, so I posted the new one... Then you commented on mine, and I went and dug a little more and found this one, which one can be bent to my will purposes. There's no sense in having 2 of the same thread so I chucked mine...

Please come out of your corner! :)

message 129: by Kate (new)

Kate | 119 comments I can't remember a lot of them.

The ones I do remember.. and not in any particular order include:
Goodnight, Mr. Tom which I enjoyed.
Flowers for Algernon
Tomorrow when the war began
Of Mice and Men
Lord of the Flies
Looking for Alibrandi (which was awesome because it had been one of my favourites for a long time before we had to study it)

And for some reason, when Shakespeare was part of the required reading, through high school I seemed to alternate between having to do Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet, I don't remember reading any other Shakespeare plays. Not so fond of Romeo and Juliet but Macbeth grew on me.

message 130: by Becca (new)

Becca (ultigirl) | 3 comments Lisa wrote: "Hayes - I know exactly what you mean with children in school and how some teachers are better than others with developing good reading comprehension. We've struggled for years with how my oldest d..."

I'm guessing your oldest is a fluent reader (ie reads aloud with few eras at a reasonable speed). If she is not fluent, you might try a tutoring program. If her fluency is impaired by limited vocabulary, try watching TV with the closed captioning on.

How is your daughter's comprehension on TV shows or movies?

If you have not read When Kids Can't Read, pick it up from the library. Use some of the simple graphic organizers and have your daughter do them after watching a favorite TV show or movie. Obviously, the extra work should bring some sort of reward (picking the show, extra TV time, something). As she fills out the organizers, try to identify what part of comprehension she is struggling with (making connections, questioning, visualizing, inferring, determing importance or synthesizing).

Most kids struggle most with inferring. If so, watch sitcoms and movies together. During commercial breaks (or by pausing a movie) infer what you think the characters are feeling or will do. Try to think aloud and explain to your daughter WHY you think that. Have your daughter try as well. She might be bad at it but ask her to explain why she made that inference.

As she gets better with feedback from you, encourage her to apply her skills to her reading. I think reading what your daughter is reading is a great way to make these conversations deeper.

We all comprehend all the time. The key is to help your daughter transfer the comprehension skills she already has to reading AND to transfer her reading comprehension skills to her real-life decision making.

Good luck!

message 131: by Becca (last edited Mar 12, 2009 06:18PM) (new)

Becca (ultigirl) | 3 comments 5th grade - The Dark is Rising, Island of the Blue Dolphin, Julie of the Wolves, Westing Game

6th grade - Where the Red Fern Grows (which is why I refuse to read books with dogs on the cover), Bridge to Terabithia, Hatchet

7th grade - Hound of the Baskervilles, I am the Cheese, War of the Worlds, The Hero and the Crown, Ender's Game, Ten Little Indians

8th grade - Diary of Anne Frank

9th grade - To Kill A Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,

10th grade - American History/Lit- Huck Finn, Telltale Heart, Common Sense (Thomas Payne), The Great Gatsby, big textbook of short pieces

11th grade - The Stranger, Candide, Metamorphosis, House on Mango Street, Kitchen, big textbook of short pieces

12th grade/AP English - Illiad, Odyssey, Medea, Canterbury Tales, The Tempest, Othello, Hamlet, King Lear, What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (LOVED IT!), Return of the Native, The Catcher in the Rye, Stones from the River (HATED IT!), Beloved (loved it!), Pride and Prejudice + one quarter of daily poems

message 132: by Cait (new)

Cait (caitertot) I know I'm forgetting some, but this is what I do remember:

2nd grade - The Call of the Wild

4th grade - The BFG, The Phantom Tollbooth, James and the Giant Peach

6th grade - The Pigman, Bridge to Terabithia

Middle School:

The only one I can remember is To Kill a Mockingbird

High School:

Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby, 1984, Animal Farm, The Scarlet Letter, Macbeth, Hamlet, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, The Jungle, The Grapes of Wrath, Brave New World, Moll Flanders, A Modest Proposal, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, along with lots of short stories and poetry

1 3 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avempartha (other topics)
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (other topics)
The Outsiders (other topics)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (other topics)
Granny Torrelli Makes Soup (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)