Dresden Files discussion

Novel series like the Dresden Files?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 771) (771 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Darkcain11 | 272 comments Mod
I love first person view novels anyone have any ideas on series with the same feel as the Dresden Files?

message 2: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (last edited Feb 28, 2011 04:51PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 307 comments Mod
I've looked for that to. I can't give one that's in every way like the Dresden books (they're among my favorites). The Monster Hunter International books have some of the same humor and action and I like them, but they may or may not appeal to you. Monster Hunter International, Monster Hunter Vendetta.

message 3: by Mike (last edited Mar 02, 2011 08:16AM) (new)

Mike Griffith | 94 comments I've been reading the Hollows series which has some similarities, but it's not quite as good as Dresden. IMHO. It's definitely worth reading though.

message 4: by Brad (new)

Brad Skupnik | 10 comments There is a series by Simon R Green "The Secret Histories." The first book is called "The Man with the Golden Torc." Great series, well written, and lot's of humor and actiion. I can highly recomend it.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Griffith | 94 comments I'd forgotten about Green. I second the golden torc series and there's also his Nightside series as well. Both are great.

message 6: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

I've read the first in "The Secret Histories" and it is good (again not as good as Dresden, but pretty good). My daughter got me the rest of the series for Christmas, but I haven't read them yet. I know I like this series of Green's better than the Nightside, though it can be pretty good. I find I like some of the Nightside series and not others.

message 7: by Brad (new)

Brad Skupnik | 10 comments I have not read any of the Nightside novels...yet. I have read all of the Secret Histories so far, waiting for the newest to hit paperback. If you want to check out an older series of his that is not alternative world genre check out his "Hawk and Fisher" series. Excellent stuff. Hack and Slash kind of stuff though.

message 8: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

I've also got his Deathstalker books on my shelf and haven't gotten to them yet...

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike Griffith | 94 comments I read the Deathstalker books as well and liked them, some more than others. Think Green's style with a space opera. I wouldn't consider them to be like Dresden though unless your focusing on the humor and sarcasm.

message 10: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

No, I wasn't commenting (at least not yet) as I haven't read them. We'd just hit the Green series.

message 11: by Brad (new)

Brad Skupnik | 10 comments Amother to consider would be Glen Cook's "Garrett, P.I." series. There are 13 so far. The 1st is "Sweet Silver Blues". Give it a try. Great author.

message 12: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

I just started "the Fixer" its pretty good about a vampire in boston sort of like dresden files except more swear words

message 13: by Brad (new)

Brad Skupnik | 10 comments Who is the author? Have not heard of that one.

message 14: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (alazif) The Nightside series is fantastic. Quick yet entertaining reads, I always look forward to the next one.

message 15: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Mar 19, 2011 03:05PM) (new)

The fixer by Jon Merz
Meet Lawson: vampire by birth, Fixer by trade. His mission: preserve the secret existence of vampires by any means necessary. There's just one problem - his oldest enemy Cosgrove is back, killing humans and threatening to unleash an ancient unholy evil. Can Lawson stop Cosgrove and still adhere to the very laws he protects by not falling in love with a beautiful human assassin named Talya?
theres like 5 novels so far

message 16: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Mar 19, 2011 03:11PM) (new)

Oh and theres The Weather warden series
Ill wind by Rachel caine
Joanne Baldwin is a weather warden, who can control the weather and keep it from being more chaotic and destructive than it already is. She is on the run, though, for she is accused of killing a senior warden, which she did, sort of: a thread of corruption runs through some of the most powerful wardens, one of which put a Demon Mark on her and then died. Her only hope now is to get a djinn from her old friend Lewis, who stole three of them^B from the council of the wardens many years ago. As she runs, she picks up a hitchhiker who knows things an ordinary person wouldn't, and who offers help. With djinns and other wardens, including those sent to arrest her, all giving her conflicting information, Joanne never quite knows whom to trust in this romantic escapist romp rife with danger, excitement, and even classic cars.

message 17: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Haven't read the Fixer, didn't care for The Weather Warden series...to each their own I suppose.Ill Wind. I read the first 2 and didn't go on.

message 18: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Its dresden for women i read 20 pages and when she checked out some guys butt i was just .... no thanks

message 19: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

I went to a Books-A-Million and in a conversation with one of the people there I mentioned that I was a Dresden fan and she went off about how if I liked Dresden I'd have to read the Weather Warden books and I just had to buy the first four... so I did.

Personally I didn't see any resemblance between them and the Dresden books and really didn't like them ($32 I'll never see again LOL). Just goes to show we all have different tastes.

message 20: by Joni (new)

Joni (httpwwwgoodreadscomaevalin) | 5 comments Any other suggestions? I love The Dresden Files, love Nightside and the Secret Histories...but I need more. My thing is it seems like half the urban fantasy books are romance based, and while I guess I'm their target market (ie a woman) I really really am not looking for a romance novel dressed up in the supernatural. In fact I really just want a story. No romance, or at least if there is, it needs to be a very secondary point to the plot.

message 21: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Joni, I haven't found any UF that I like as well as Dresden, but there are are a few I like (the Green books you mentioned for example). Have you tried Rob Thurman? I like her Leandros novels. I also liked Anton Strout's first Dead series book (Dead to Me) and have a couple more waiting in my "to be reads"...

message 22: by Joni (new)

Joni (httpwwwgoodreadscomaevalin) | 5 comments I have Rob Thurman on my list, but not Anton Strout. I will have to go look into those - thanks :)

message 23: by Beth (new)

Beth (FeistyDonut) | 8 comments Joni wrote: "Any other suggestions? I love The Dresden Files, love Nightside and the Secret Histories...but I need more. My thing is it seems like half the urban fantasy books are romance based, and while I g..."

I would recommend Sandman Slim, Felix Castor, Joe Pitt. The last two were around 5 books total and Sandman Slim is about to release #3.

message 24: by Library Linsey (new)

Library Linsey (thelinseyverse) Beth wrote: "Joni wrote: "Any other suggestions? I love The Dresden Files, love Nightside and the Secret Histories...but I need more. My thing is it seems like half the urban fantasy books are romance based, ..."

I recommend Nancy Holzer series Deadtown, Hellforged (two so far). More urban fantasy, less romance. Have you tried Illona Andrews?

message 25: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

We'll all disagree on our favorites. I find I'm enjoying Midnight Riot. Personally I didn't like the Felix Castor books but I know they are very popular. The Repairman Jack books run hot and cold but I like most of them.

message 26: by Beth (last edited May 16, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Beth (FeistyDonut) | 8 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "We'll all disagree on our favorites. I find I'm enjoying Midnight Riot. Personally I didn't like the Felix Castor books but I know they are very popular. The Repairman Jack books run hot and cold b..."

I'm getting Midnight Riot from the library tonight, as long as it's not the Nightside I'll probably love it.

I should clarify, I listened to the first 2 Nightside books and hearing over and over 'in the night side...' was really annoying.

message 27: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

It's pretty good. It's not Dresden, but the character has a quirky sense of humor, a little bit of a wise a....er, I mean guy, ya wise guy. :) He's not quite as likable as Harry, but okay. It's interesting. Harry is a wizard and eventually takes an apprentice. This story is told from the point of view of Peter Grant, who becomes a wizard's apprentice. I'm almost through and ordered the sequel. So far so good.

message 28: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 19 comments Joni wrote: "Any other suggestions? I love The Dresden Files, love Nightside and the Secret Histories...but I need more. My thing is it seems like half the urban fantasy books are romance based, and while I g..."

Joni, I feel the same way- I am a woman who doesn't seem to get the point of PNR- I want action. I second the suggestions of Mike Carey (Felix Castor series, starting with The Devil You Know- a more serious mood than Dresden), Charlie Huston (Joe Pitt series starting with Already Dead- more bloodthirsty than Dresden), Richard Kadrey (Sandman Slim- FABULOUS). A new author I think is fabulous is Harry Connolly (Child of Fire). I would also suggest you check out Mario Acevedo (The Nymphos of Rocky Flats, Kelley Armstrong (Bitten- werewolves, but a great heroine), Alex Bell (The Ninth Circle), Patrica Briggs (Moon Called- only a touch of romance, mostly action), Tanya Huff (Blood Price etc)(a gentler cop/vampire series), Faith Hunter (Skinwalker), Liz Williams (The Snake Agent- Asian, demons, police- FABULOUS and underappreciated). There are so many good authors with action packed books (like JF Lewis, Carrie Vaughn, Mick Farren, Nancy Collins (early books), Karen Taylor, PD Cacek (Canyons), Poppy Z Brite, Jennifer Rardin T A Pratt).

message 29: by Joni (new)

Joni (httpwwwgoodreadscomaevalin) | 5 comments Thanks everyone, I'm off to look up the books you've all suggested!

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth (FeistyDonut) | 8 comments Tasula wrote: "Joni wrote: "Any other suggestions? I love The Dresden Files, love Nightside and the Secret Histories...but I need more. My thing is it seems like half the urban fantasy books are romance based, ..."

Whoa, that list is amazing, I've read the first handful of titles so something tells me I'd like the rest. Thanks for the suggestions.

message 31: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "It's pretty good. It's not Dresden, but the character has a quirky sense of humor, a little bit of a wise a....er, I mean guy, ya wise guy. :) He's not quite as likable as Harry, but okay. It's int..."

Yeah Midnight riot is amazing its like CSI meets harry potter. I miss dresden's snark but peter is a nice change of pace to. Thanks for recommending it.

message 32: by Cjpines (new)

Cjpines | 90 comments My first post in the group so first I'd like to thank you all for the advice on other books in the same general feel as Butchers Dresden files. Looking forward to Midnight Riot.

That said I have a recommendation.

Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles. I've read The first book and the free e-book that sets it up, the 2nd comes after I finish what I am reading now.

The druid is very much a Dresden character, even being so similar at points that it may bother some, but the first book is a nice light fast passed action 'movie'. It's easy reading, lighter than Dresden but not directed at young people.

Best I can explain that is...If LoTR is fine dining, Dresden is steak and potatoes, Iron Druid is burger and fries with a salad and Harry Potter is a Happy Meal.

message 33: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Nice to have you Cipines. Yes i saw that book on amazon it did look look interesting.

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth (FeistyDonut) | 8 comments I keep hitting up this thread for suggestions. Thanks guys.

Midnight Riot/Moon Over Soho - Love this series.
Felix Castor - loved this one too
Sandman Slim - a lot darker than Dresden but good.
Joe Pitt - good but too short and ended when all the interesting stuff was about to happen.
Repairman Jack #1 - eh, not supernatural enough but a good story, minus points for an annoying kid.
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - completely different and I liked it.
Monster Hunter International #1 - the main character has the abilities of several superheroes combined, could have been better.
Over Sea, Under Stone: Book 1 of The Dark Is Rising Sequence - annoying children made me angry.
Sleepless - really good

message 35: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

The Repairman Jack books can run a little hot and cold. They include more supernatural content later.

message 36: by Synobal (last edited Jul 05, 2011 03:52PM) (new)

Synobal | 4 comments I honestly thought the supernatural bit in the repairman Jack is sort of a liability for the series as a whole. I always found Jack more interesting when he was going up against mortal enemies rather than the spookie.

message 37: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Hi Synobal, how many have you read? I've still get most of the series waiting. It seems to be getting more into the paranormal (so to speak) as it goes.

message 38: by Synobal (new)

Synobal | 4 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Hi Synobal, how many have you read? I've still get most of the series waiting. It seems to be getting more into the paranormal (so to speak) as it goes."

I've read all of them published to date. It does get more paranormal yes. I'll say this repairman Jack is a great character and that alone is enough to keep me reading the series. How ever it's sort of stuck between an Urban fantasy and I guess a thriller/mystery genre.

I really think the author would of had more lucky if he had focused on a more normal setting than a fantastical one.

message 39: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Wilson first hit with what I'd call straight paranormal. He wrote a book called The Keep (The Keep) which I only mildly liked (my late wife liked it much more than I) Later he came up with Repairman Jack. The publisher tried to make the books "resemble" each other. Thus the title of the first book, The Tomb even though there is no tomb in the book...

message 40: by Cjpines (new)

Cjpines | 90 comments Not really...ok honestly not at all like the Dresden Files but i loved it anway so I thought I would toss a plug up here for it.

Brandon Sanderson The Way of Kings

It's a huge book (1k pages) that sets the stage for a proposed 10ish book epic series. As with book one of any series you do get a bit of world building that slows progression but you also get a lot of action, twists and surprises....something for after Ghost Story.

message 41: by Mike (the Paladin), White Council (new)

Your right...absolutely nothing like Dresden, slow moving, lumbering and the first in a projected series where each book doesn't contain its own story but only a portion of a projected 10 volume tome.....

My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Mostly I couldn't disagree more. Just me of course.

message 42: by Jason (new)

Jason (ViciousJ) | 6 comments It's been said (and said) here, but Green's Nightside series has been the closest I've found so far... I almost see him as a British version of Harry.

I've read the first Sandman Slim book and I wasn't too impressed, but I may give Kadry another attempt to wow me. While it has some of the same elements, I found the lead character to be a lot more muscles than brains and after how many books with Mr. Dresden, I just wanted more of out him.

message 43: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Yes way of kings is awesome Can't wait for the next one.

Sandman Slim was good but not a five star book. And very dark and a bit heavy on religion

Midnight riot was great

message 44: by LazerWraith (new)

LazerWraith | 48 comments Bump :D

Jason wrote: "It's been said (and said) here, but Green's Nightside series has been the closest I've found so far... I almost see him as a British version of Harry.

I've read the first Sandman Slim book and I w..."

You might also like the Golden Torc series by Green as well. A bit different, but still about a man with great powers solving mysteries and stuff (although the family politics is something different).

I have read or tried most of the series recommended here. Sandman Slim was way to dark for me...ugh.

Basically, I just like anyone with a lot of magical power and no POV switching. :P Anyone remember some of those that haven't been mentioned?

message 45: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (WolfFaerie171) | 216 comments Mod
Here's one that was mentioned in an earlier post Harry Connolly Twenty Palaces Series is a good contender for Dresden Files and Jim Butcher himself recommends this series. I would like to also offer up Brent Weeks books: his Night Angel Trilogy and his new book Black Prism.

message 46: by LazerWraith (last edited Aug 03, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

LazerWraith | 48 comments Angie wrote: "Here's one that was mentioned in an earlier post Harry Connolly Twenty Palaces Series is a good contender for Dresden Files and Jim Butcher himself recommends this series. I would like to also offe..."

The Night Angel books have so much POV switching. It isn't that similar to the Dresden Files, I think.

And that series by Harry Connolly, from reading the description, doesn't seem great either. The guy is an underdog and kinda at the mercy of many others. Harry Dresden may be a bit like that at the start of the series, but for the most part he is taking down top guys.

And hopefully, he is going to be even more powerful in the next book. :P

message 47: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 19 comments Harry Connolly's hero is an underdog, but he turns out to be the clever guy who saves the day. I REALLY enjoyed Child of Fire and the sequel Game of Cages. But I also loved Sandman Slim, since the DARK is my thing, so depends on your tastes. I posted other suggestions earlier.

message 48: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

LaserWraith wrote: "Angie wrote: "Here's one that was mentioned in an earlier post Harry Connolly Twenty Palaces Series is a good contender for Dresden Files and Jim Butcher himself recommends this series. I would lik..."

Honestly the Harry Connolly series is such a great surprise don't let the description fool you into not trying the series. To be honest, it would not have been my first choice either based on cover description but when I saw that Jim Butcher himself recommended the book I gave it a chance. I'm so glad that I didn't let the cover description sway me into not trying it. The lead character is very much in Dresden style even in the underdog position. He faces alot of situation much like Dresden does.

message 49: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 25 comments I'd like to second the Nightside and Felix Castor series. The Nightside books are fast reads, highly entertaining with lots of humor. Felix Castor is more serious and darker than Dresden but wonderful to read anyway.

Although I haven't read it, Butcher also recommends the Morris & Chastain Supernatural Investigations series by Justin Gustainis, starting with Black Magic Woman.

message 50: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new)

I'll have to check out this recommendation from Butcher as well. Thanks for sharing it!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16