Fantasy Book Club discussion

Series discussions > Crippled God or Wise Man's Fear?

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) Us avid fans of Patrick Rothfuss' king killer series know of the new book coming out tomorrow. Us avid fangs of Steven Erikson's Malazan book of the fallen series no of the new series finale coming out tomorrow. So what are you going to chose first, and why?

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon I have the same delima for me it will be wise mans fear. The main reason is I have waited longer for it. I have read several books in Steven Eriksons universe in the last year.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Well, as I've not read any Rothfuss novels yet, I'll be reading TCG. I just finished the ninth in Erikson's series, so my 'pump is primed'!

message 4: by Jacen (new)

Jacen | 10 comments It will definitely be Rothfuss for me as I have a lot of other novels to read in the malazan series first.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) I'm with Jacen. I'm about halfway through Gardens of the Moon, and will have to finish it quickly by the time my copy of WMF comes in the mail!

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments I will get neither, hated The Name of the Wind, not going to like The Wise Man's Fear, did not like Garden of the Moon, but try to get the next two book, hope they are better than the first.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Kevin wrote: "I will get neither, hated The Name of the Wind, not going to like The Wise Man's Fear, did not like Garden of the Moon, but try to get the next two book, hope they are better than the first."

Kevin, just out of curiosity, is English a second language for you? Your messages are often quite cryptic. Your latest is a good example.

You start out with "I will get neither..." & finish with "...but try to get the next two book, hope they are better than the first." Are you intending to get them or not? Are you speaking of the same two books? If so, what are they?

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 255 comments Erikson all the way for me! While Rothfuss is a beautiful writer, I dont care for first person chronological narrative

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1942 comments Dunno yet. Saved The Name of the Wind to read when The Wise Man's Fear is out, and have committed to read the first three books in the Malazan series. If I like them both then I'll buy both. If not then....

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) TCG can suck it! WMF all the way. Haha, totally kidding! I hope all the TCG fans enjoy it immensely! WMF wins for me though because I've only read book one of Malazan, so it would be quite a leap to skip directly to the end...

message 11: by Kevin (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:50AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Jim wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I will get neither, hated The Name of the Wind, not going to like The Wise Man's Fear, did not like Garden of the Moon, but try to get the next two book, hope they are better than the..."

I sometimes put two subjects in one, but I was referring to that I will not get WMF or TCG, but I will get the two books in the series that comes after Gardens of the Moon.

message 12: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 582 comments I've still only read Gardens of the Moon so I think it's obvious what the choice is. But this thread is reminding me I need to get to Deadhouse Gates which has been on my "to read" pile forever.

message 13: by Amelia (last edited Mar 01, 2011 12:42PM) (new)

Amelia (Narknon) Both books should be at my house when I get home. I'll probably get to Wise Man's Fear first because I've also only read Gardens. (I like to get them when they're first out.) I have the whole series inbetween to read first, but I've already read The Name of the Wind, so I can start on Wise Man's Fears whenever I'm in the mood for it. (might be tomorrow, might be later.)

message 14: by Marcus (new)

Marcus (thewashouts) | 3 comments Started The Wise Man's Fear this morning.

message 15: by Brandon (new)

Brandon I am about half way through The Wise Man's Fear. So far so good, if you liked the style of NotW you will certainly enjoy it.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Wise Man's Fears for me. I am also only on Gardens of the Moon. A while back I picked up Reaper's Gale, purely because of the cover-which I don't usually do, only to discover that it was part of a series.

I am not usually into 1st person but I do really like Rothfuss's style and he is an excellent story teller. Besides, Erikson completed his story, and will probably complete another series for my "To Read" list before Rothfuss gets around to finishing his series.

message 17: by Kevin (last edited Mar 02, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Brandon wrote: "I am about half way through The Wise Man's Fear. So far so good, if you liked the style of NotW you will certainly enjoy it."

This is one thing that I find that I agree on.

message 18: by Kevin (last edited Mar 02, 2011 05:33PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Nicki wrote: "Kevin wrote: "This is one thing that I find that I agree on."

How would you know, Kevin? You said you haven't read WMF and you're not going to, so I'm curious about the basis for your comparison."

I am basing it on the experiences of reading trilogies and series plus the reviews that I have read of the book.

message 19: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Mclelland (theryanmc) | 24 comments Don't get started with Kevin. It never ends well, everyone loses.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1942 comments I'm sure everyone will refrain from insults, right?

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1942 comments Nicki wrote: "Considering none have been spoken so far, it seems like a reasonable bet, doesn't it? :)"

Yes, thanks.

message 22: by Mach (last edited Mar 12, 2011 03:47AM) (new)

Mach | 122 comments Wise Man's Fear for me, i won't get it before the 14th though because i live on Norway and it takes a while for Amazon to send books here. None of the local bookstores have it.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Both books new have made to NYT bestseller's list. The Wise Man's Fear at #1 and The Crippled God at #12. Here is the link to the news http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/fant...

message 24: by Maxine (last edited Apr 08, 2011 04:10PM) (new)

Maxine | 16 comments Stephen Erikson is my favourite fantasy writer so I purchased The Crippled God the day it came out. However, I haven't read it yet - I feel like a little kid looking at the last present under the Xmas tree. I'm dying to open it but, at the same time, know I'll be sad that it's over so I'm savouring the suspense.

I read Name of the Wind quite awhile ago and don't remember it well other than thinking it was brilliant. I will have to read it again before starting on Wise Man's Fear.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wise Man's Fear (other topics)
The Name of the Wind (other topics)
Deadhouse Gates (other topics)
Gardens of the Moon (other topics)
The Crippled God (other topics)
More...