CBC Books discussion

Rohinton Mistry
This topic is about Rohinton Mistry
Canada Reads 2002 > A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry discussion

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

VWrulesChick | 1803 comments A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Have you read this book? Well then, you are in luck as we have some questions for you. You can answer any or all the suggested questions below. Plus, you add questions to the group about the book/characters.

Have fun and discuss with the other group members!

How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"?

Describe the main characters — their personality traits, motivations, inner qualities. Are their actions justified? Do you admire or disapprove of them?

Do the main characters change by the end of the book? Do they grow, or come to learn something about themselves and how the world works?

Is the plot engaging? Does the story interest you? Is this a plot-driven book: a fast-paced page-turner? Or does the story unfold slowly with a focus on character development?

What main ideas/themes does the author explore? (Don't forget to talk about the title, often a it's clue to a novel's theme.)

What passages strike you as insightful, profound or even funny?

Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? If not, why not... and how would you change it?

VWrulesChick | 1803 comments I have not read this book, but have gotten some great feedback on this book/author.

Leslie | 16 comments I worked in a bookstore for awhile when I was in grad school; whenever someone came in vaguely looking for a book recommendation for themselves or for a gift, this was one of my standard recommendations. I've never met anyone who wasn't moved by it. When I read it, I got to a certain point in the story and I had to put the book down for a week because I could see an inevitable disaster looming over the characters and I couldn't bear to watch it happen to them.

Denise | 2 comments I read this book and it is very powerful. I read it years ago and as soon as I finished I insisted that my sister read it. Once she was done she insist my Mom read it. And throughout the family it went.

The characters are engaging and well developed. It takes place in India and examines the caste system and prejudices. I can't say enough about this book. It's one of those books that changes you for life.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I couldn't agree more. This is a very engaging book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Fine Balance (other topics)