Q&A for Printing By Hand discussion

Choosing the Right Linen for Printing

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily | 2 comments Hi Lena!

Thank you so much for writing Printing by Hand. I absolutely love the book and it has been so helpful.

I would like to print on linen but am wondering what kind of linen is best suited to screen-printing - 100% linen or a linen cotton blend? I am also wondering what weight of linen would be best for printing napkins and tea towels. Finally, would you be able to recommend an online retailer for purchasing fabric? I would love to pick up fabric in-person but as I do not live near a fabric store I will have to order some online...I want to make sure to choose a fabric that will work well for my printing needs.

Thank you so much for your time and help! It is very much appreciated.

Emily

Erin | 8 comments I vote for Dharma Trading Company - see their very helpful website. I'm a costume designer, and we use them frequently. Their fabrics are PFD - prepared for dying, free of finishes, etc. which is also good for printing. They also sell pre-made goods to print on such as linen napkins, runners, cotton tea towels, and lots of clothes, bags, etc. I don't have an opinion on linen vs. blends, except a blend is maybe easier to iron. A great source for linen is Grey Line Linens in N.Y. - awesome website too. Also fabric-store.com is good, and can send you samples of the weights they carry.

Emily | 2 comments Thank you so much, Erin! I really appreciate your help.

unread topics | mark unread