The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Favorite Books > Out of all the books you have, which one would be your favorite? Remember one only!.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 115) (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) Difficult choice but I think The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón is the one!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i will have to read that one i have heard of it but never read ill read it. thank you for commeting it means alot haha :D

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Lee (SamanthaL) | 139 comments I have to agree Chris. I absolutely loved Shadow of the Wind.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Jackson | 50 comments A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. I love all things dog, but this is one of the best ever.

message 5: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I have so, so many favorite books, it's so hard to pick just one, nearly impossible! I suppose though, if I had to pick just one book, basing it on the question of if I could only read one book for the rest of my life, I'd say The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. I guess that'd be the only story I could read again and again without getting too overly bored or sick of the characters.

message 6: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce | 1242 comments The Given by Lois Lowry

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

i have never heard of that one i will have to read it.

message 8: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce | 1242 comments Curecancer wrote: "i have never heard of that one i will have to read it."

Sorry, I misnamed the book it is called The Giver, not the Given.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

okay thank you!!!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

my brother has that book ill steal it from him thank you!!

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 507 comments Its really hard to choose - so I have stick to 4!
The Shining - Stephen King
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis

Very diffcult - sorry!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

haha that's okay choose how ever many you'd like. it is a little difficult.

message 13: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Nuckle (elisanuckle) | 85 comments The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley, if only because it holds the spot in my heart as the book that influenced me to become a fantasy writer.

message 15: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Nuckle (elisanuckle) | 85 comments Patrik, isn't that technically three? You cheater (as I type this with a smile because I love all things Tolkien). Though, really, those books are great.

message 16: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 102 comments Pride & Prejudice -- I read it every year

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 1428 comments The Fellowship of the Ring

I love the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy, but this is my favourite.

message 18: by Eva (new)

Eva | 471 comments I think it would be the first two books by Cody McFadyen:

De stilte van de hel by Cody McFadyen ( Shadowman)
Het Gezicht van de Dood (Smoky Barrett, #2) by Cody McFadyen (The Face of Death)

message 19: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 564 comments The first book I fell in love with was Little Women. This was my first "favorite" book.

message 20: by Eva (last edited Mar 15, 2011 01:35AM) (new)

Eva | 471 comments I don't own it.. (I will buy it someday...)
but The Shining is amazing! I read it in Englisth (I am Dutch) and that was a tough one, but scary as hell!
The Shining by Stephen King

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Eva, I was reading The Shining one night and got so scared, I threw the book at the wall and ran out of my room. I told my mom that I had to get out of the house for a while to clear my mind. I was still in high school and she said yes even though it was 10 pm on a weekday. I must have looked pretty paniced. She was very strict.

*TheWrittenWord*Mo (TheWrittenWordMo) Dark Visions

Because of the ending!!!!!!

message 23: by Terri (new)

Terri | 171 comments I think I would pick The Stand. It isn't my favorite book of all time, but it's the one I would enjoy reading over and over again.

Kit: I LOVE The Talisman. Most SK don't read it, I don't know why, it's an amazing book. I recommended it to my son's fifth grade teacher (she was a book addict) and she shared it with the class. She told them all about Wolf and they got into it right along with her. She didn't read the book to them, there's too many questionable things in it for 5th graders, but she shared the story.

message 24: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Terri wrote: "I think I would pick The Stand. It isn't my favorite book of all time, but it's the one I would enjoy reading over and over again.

Kit: I LOVE The Talisman. Most SK don't read it, I don't kno..."

That's awesome! I was in 5th grade when I read it for the first time, so it was like I was going along with Jack on this crazy adventure, I couldn't put it down, it had all the elements I loved in a story, some fantasy, some horror, an epic quest, and Wolf... love him :) I've re-read it twice since then, each time seeing it in new ways.

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri | 171 comments Ahhh Wolf. Yes I loved him too. How could you not? So pure of heart? I just plain old loved the entire story. I think Jack Sawyer is my favorite character of all time from SK books. I just loved the whole idea of "flipping" and the other parallel world where there were "twinners" and you could dig up a radish and smell it a mile away. Yep, yep, yep. Makes me want to read it for a fourth time!

message 26: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Terri wrote: "Yep, yep, yep. Makes me want to read it for a fourth time! "

"Right here and now"? lol :)

message 27: by Terri (new)

Terri | 171 comments LOL! God pound you!

message 28: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 5 comments I think one of the books I read as a teenager - remember being absolutely engrossed in 'Flowers in the Attic' by Virginia Andrews - I don't think there are many books I would ever read twice - too many books too little time but I wish I could read books now that grabbed me as much as those in my teens.

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) Mine would be The Shadow of the Wind I think, even better than some of my favourite classics

message 30: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1861 comments A Wrinkle in Time-no matter how many times I read it, even if it's a children's story, it makes me feel more connected to the people I love and my own life. To life itself, in fact.

message 31: by Monica (new)

Monica | 26 comments Ellie wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time-no matter how many times I read it, even if it's a children's story, it makes me feel more connected to the people I love and my own life. To life itself, in fact."

Most definitely A Wrinkle in Time! I was surprised to see that someone else would think so as well..and totally agree with you Ellie...it's a book about connections. One of those childhood books that make you think. I encouraged my daughter, who was 23 yesterday, to read it...but not sure she ever did. Guess who i'll be calling this morning?!

And if i can just sneak in one more little book that i'll always remember...Once Is Not Enough by Jacqueline Susann. I read that under the bed covers when i was a mere 13, hiding it from my mother. She discovered it when i was about half-way through. Cut off in mid-book...i had to find another copy at the secondhand book store to finish it. So that book, has a lot of memories for me. And as a 13 year old, i learned a lot :)

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 200 comments Ellie wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time-no matter how many times I read it, even if it's a children's story, it makes me feel more connected to the people I love and my own life. To life itself, in fact."

I'm with you and Monica on this choice, Ellie. This book really made an impression on me when I read it as an 11-year-old. It was the first book I'd read that had a female hero, and I was so delighted to see Meg taking charge and leading the way, and in the end winning the battle. Wonderful!

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin | 1 comments My favorite ones are Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

message 34: by Borislava B. (new)

Borislava B.  Borissova Author (BorislavaBBorissova-Author) | 5 comments My choice would be Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. If I could choose with what a talent to be gifted by Heaven I would love to be able to write a sequel of Master and Margarita because its heroes would keep a unique company of mine during the process of writing. But from the original book I would never allow anyone, any time to change even a single word.
I even did not want to bid farewell to the book after turned its last page so I have read a big pile of reviews. It is very interesting to me to know how other people perceive the same story, characters which found “home” in my soul and mind. The reviews appeared as a kind of sequel and I enjoyed spending some extra time with the heroes.

message 35: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1861 comments That's one of the loveliest tributes to a book I've read, Borislava. I liked The Master and Margarita very much but your post made me want to read it again.

message 36: by Joané (new)

Joané Gous Hard to decide on only one, but if I can only take one book with me and had to leave the others behind it would be Virginia Woolf's "The Waves"

message 37: by Joané (new)

Joané Gous Hard to decide on only one, but if I can only take one book with me and had to leave the others behind it would be Virginia Woolf's "The Waves"

message 38: by Simon (new)

Simon Smithwilson | 4 comments Nation, by Terry Pratchett.

The book is fun, exciting and really clever.

message 39: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 200 comments Joané wrote: "Hard to decide on only one, but if I can only take one book with me and had to leave the others behind it would be Virginia Woolf's "The Waves""

That would be a wonderful choice! I adore Woolf!

message 40: by Joané (new)

Joané Gous Ellen wrote: "Joané wrote: "Hard to decide on only one, but if I can only take one book with me and had to leave the others behind it would be Virginia Woolf's "The Waves""

That would be a wonderful choice! I a..."

Which Woolf novel is your favourate?

message 41: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 200 comments Joané wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Joané wrote: "Hard to decide on only one, but if I can only take one book with me and had to leave the others behind it would be Virginia Woolf's "The Waves""

That would be a wonderf..."

Boy, that's a tough one! I'd have to say that my favorite is probably "To the Lighthouse", but I also love "Orlando", "Mrs. Dalloway", "The Waves", "Jacob's Room", and... oh, but I'm listing all of her books now, aren't I? Have you read any of Woolf's nonfiction? If not, I really enjoyed "The Common Reader" (both volumes); although they discuss books that may not be popular now, her style is so wonderful that I really enjoy them. I'm currently reading her letters and diaries together, in order of year, and love this project! I gather "The Waves" is your favorite Woolf novel, right? Thanks!

message 42: by Joané (new)

Joané Gous Ellen wrote: "Joané wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Joané wrote: "Hard to decide on only one, but if I can only take one book with me and had to leave the others behind it would be Virginia Woolf's "The Waves""

That woul..."

I haven't read all of her novels yet, but the Waves and To the Lighthouse are my favourates. I read a bit of her diaries for a paper I had to write, but didn't get a chance to read them extensively. I'll look into the Common Reader as well, thanx :)

message 43: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 200 comments Joané wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Joané wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Joané wrote: "Hard to decide on only one, but if I can only take one book with me and had to leave the others behind it would be Virginia Woolf's "The Wave..."

Excellent! I think you'll enjoy reading her diaries and letters more extensively, because they offer insight into her thinking and into her life with Leonard and her interactions with her friends. She was quite a complex personality and there's a lot of information to mine in her nonfiction. Thanks again!

message 44: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle (Awaken80) | 278 comments Thanks to your recommendations, I've added A Wrinkle in Time and The Master and Margarita to my list! Can't wait to read them!

message 45: by Bob (new)

Bob Arnold | 691 comments My “remember only one” favorite of all time is A Cry of Angels: A Novel. I would be surprised if very many Addicts have every heard of it. It was published in 1974 written by Jeff Fields, I think it was his only book. Unlike Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird”, Mr. Fields book never really flew off the shelves. It’s been almost 30 years since I last read it, but when I think about all the books I have read in my life this one always comes in first place.

message 46: by Borislava B. (new)

Borislava B.  Borissova Author (BorislavaBBorissova-Author) | 5 comments Nice choice Rachelle :)))) There are many great books and these two are among them with certainty!

Rachelle wrote: "Thanks to your recommendations, I've added A Wrinkle in Time and The Master and Margarita to my list! Can't wait to read them!"

message 47: by Kate (last edited Jun 19, 2013 01:46AM) (new)

Kate (kategaff) | 32 comments i worry when i comment on these threads that i just name the same books over and over and people think 'not her going on about those same books again!' lol i do read ALOT of books but my favourites always seem to stay the same!
Like most people i couldn't pick only one but my favourites are;
Me Before You
Ferney and Never Let Me Go

i read these over and over!

message 48: by TamElaine (new)

TamElaine | 399 comments Kate wrote: "i worry when i comment on these threads that i just name the same books over and over and people think 'not her going on about those same books again!' lol i do read ALOT of books but my favourites..."

I agree with Me Before You - That would definitely be my answer to this question. I will have to check out the other book you mentioned ! (Have you read other books by JoJo Moyes? The Girl you Left Behind and The Last Letter From your Lover were fabulous books as well.)

message 49: by Nancy from NJ, Moderator (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 7561 comments Mod
To name a favorite book after 50 odd years of reading would be impossible for me to do. I have favorites from childhood, my mid years early adulthood and now as a senior citizen.

But my three top faves would be The Temple of Gold by William Goldman which is probably out of print but do try to find it. I thought it was even better than The Catcher in the Rye for a coming of age book, Exodus by Leon Uris for personal reasons and Gone with the Wind.

message 50: by ツ Kathy , Moderator (last edited Jun 19, 2013 06:18AM) (new)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shadow of the Wind (other topics)
The Talisman (other topics)
The Giver (other topics)
The Lord of the Rings (other topics)
The Fellowship of the Ring (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Carlos Ruiz Zafón (other topics)
J.R.R. Tolkien (other topics)
Jeff Fields (other topics)
Anne Rice (other topics)